Start by marking “Hook (Neverland #2)” as Want to Read:
Hook (Neverland #2)

Hook

(Neverland #2)

Journey back to Neverland, NC with NYT & USA Today Bestselling Author Gina L. Maxwell as she turns your favorite villain into the hero you never knew you needed.

THEY CALL ME HOOK

I’m Captain of the Pirates; a villain by design and a loner by nature.

I don’t need anyone. More than that, I don’t want anyone. Especially Officer John Darling who insists on seeing the good
Published October 29th 2019 by Gina L. Maxwell, LLC
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about Hook, please sign up.
Gina L. Maxwell Sorry for the delay, Aeriel, but I'm happy to say that HOOK is finally live! Thank you for your interest in my books. :)…moreSorry for the delay, Aeriel, but I'm happy to say that HOOK is finally live! Thank you for your interest in my books. :)(less)

Start your review of Hook (Neverland #2)
Lana ❇✾DG Romance❇✾
4 STARS

He is my Captain. And for as long as he’ll have me, I am his.

If you know me or follow my reviews, than you already know just how much I love a good tortured hero. And let me tell you, it doesn't get more tortured than James Hook. The man is tortured personified. He's utterly broken in the most captivating way. The second he appeared on the pages of Pan, he stole the show, and I was counting down the days until I could get my hands on his story. I've read a few modern fairytale
Stacie
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
4+ "Live in the light." Stars!

Goodness. What can I say? This book hurt my heart. James Hook had to endure the unimaginable way too often in his life. My heart just bleeds for him. The hope that he was going to find some peace and light drove me on throughout this book.
John... thank goodness he was a stubborn, determined and insightful man. I loved both James and John.

I guess you can tell my description of Hook, this book has some dark elements that may be triggers for some. - (view spoiler)
Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥
Hook was an emotional book that was filled with hope, healing and redemption. But pain also filled the pages and it was etched so deep that my heart hurt reading this story. Right from the prologue we were brought into Hook's world and we got to see how dark and desolate it was. Life could be so harsh and brutal. But with John Darling in the picture, love and peace of mind tried their hardest to continually add light to Hook's life. So if you love opposites attracts and stories that will pull at ...more
Kate Meader
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking and uplifting all at once. As always, Gina's writing is immaculate and these characters' journeys will grip you all the way to their hard-won HEA. Loved every minute! ...more
The Book Bee
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
REVIEW: 4 STARS
"For such a hard-bodied guy, you're awfully soft on the inside."

I *finally* sat down to devour Hook and I am so glad I took the time on this one. I was anxiously anticipating this one, but I was almost scared to start it because of all the hopes I had for it. Crazy, I know. THIS LONG awaited followup to Pan was a great book. It’s not your run-of-the-mill "cop falls for the bad guy" kind of story. Yes, it followed the narrative of "I'm not good enough for you/you're too goo
Mandy
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ok can I just give this book ALL the stars? I am blown away by the perfection Gina L. Maxwell gave us with this one. Her best work to date in my opinion. I absolutely could not put it down...and didn’t want it to end.

I’ve been dying for Hook and John’s story, and they were off the charts amazing. Hook is the tortured bad boy criminal with a devastating past, and John is the good boy clean cop who has always crushed on the man they call Captain. When an FBI investigation forces John to go underc
Cassie
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with London and Neverland North Carolina from the first paragraph of Pan. I have also been anticipating Hook from about 30% into Pan. Any seasoned author can incorporate wonder into a book for a side character, but Maxwell laced bits of Hook so perfectly that he was in my head throughout the rest of Peter’s book and the subsequent months after as I waited for this story to be completed.

Lots of authors write the tortured hero. None are quite like Captain James Hook though. He has
Christine~justlovemybooks.com blog~
Hook by Gina Maxwell was a very dark, intense and disturbing read. I will warn you….. for those of you who are triggered by child abuse of a sexual nature you may want to be extra cautious. While there is no current abuse, there are flashbacks. That said, the flashbacks are not all explicitly graphic, however the author is very talented at painting the picture regardless. There will be no mistaking what you’re reading about.

I praise Gina Maxwell for the boundaries she crosses in her writing. Th
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-arc-reads
I have been waiting for Hook ever since I finished the first book in this series, Pan, where we first meet John Darling and "Captain" Hook. G Maxwell has done an amazing job of creating a modern-take on this classic tale, and these characters surprised me in every way. I was glued to this story. Not only can G Maxwell write MM romance flawlessly, but she does it with deep emotion, and with real and raw feelings that you can't but help feel through the pages.

There are so many layers to Hook...hi
Malissa
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fast and furious, just finished.

I knew Hook’s story was going to be a bit of a roller coaster, but I didn’t realize just how meaningful it would be. Hook’s story isn’t just about overcoming, its about learning to believe in your own self worth, learning to trust that others can care for you, and most importantly learning to let your heart feel, both pain and joy.

I know from her posts this was a challenging book for Gina to write and I’m so proud of her for taking the extra time to make sure it
Alex
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"I'd rather be ruined by James Hook than be safe with anyone else." ~John Darling

I was intrigued by this book from the second I saw the cover and totally ready to dive in after reading the blurb. I've always loved the anti-hero, the flawed character with a chip on his shoulder but a secret heart full of gold. Gina has taken a beloved classic character and totally made me fall in love all over again!

This story is gritty and heartbreaking but also so full of hope and redemption. Hook and John are
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book. I don't know the last time I cheered so hard for two characters to get together. Hook believes he is broken beyond repair, but John Darling is the perfect person to slowly, gently make him whole again. Although the characters are playfully based on the characters in the children's story, the themes of abuse get pretty dark. The author offers an alternative chapter if the reader would rather not read a particularly sensitive flashback. Kudos for this and for also having cha ...more
Christine D
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wicked Hook and darling John = so very intense.
I usually do not enjoy romances that are this dark but these characters are written so well and Gina Maxwell has done a really nice job on the reimagining of these characters in a contemporary setting. This series surprised me and is going to be gooooood.
I love her writing and this book was no exception.

I say 3.5 stars only because it has quite a bit of heavy subject matter, which, as reader was expected, but still difficult to read at times.
Amy Aislin
I am in love with this book! John and Hook were everything. This was gritty and super steamy but also had tons of lovely sweet moments. I loved seeing Hook slowly open up and I loved that John never once gave up on him.
Annie
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
Let me start off by saying that I think Gina Maxwell is a BRILLIANT author. That might be an understatement, but every time I read a new book of hers I'm blown away. I read this series in order starting with Pans book, and I loved it. I was able to tell where the abuse for Hook was going in the beginning of that book, and loved his character throughout Pan's story. This was the first m/m book I've read, and it dealt with so many sensitive subjects. But let me say, Hook's book was everything and ...more
Rebecca
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like most of you, Hook by Gina L. Maxwell has been on my mind since finishing Pan and reading the bonus epilogue to get just a bit of insight into the tortured Hook and the man who wants to be the one to help save him. Unlike you, I’ve been privy to Hook and John’s journey from the start; I’ve been just a message away as Gina L. Maxwell painstakingly worked to be true to Hook and John’s character, to truly illustrate just how much Hook loathes himself, even though he tries to hide his pain, his ...more
MJ
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books
Hook is the very definition of angst. Gina Maxwell doesn't hold back as she gives us the at times very excruciating tale of one James Hook and the man who would ultimately save him in more ways than one, the truly wonderful John Darling. These two have known each other since they were kids when John's sister Wendy first discovered the Lost Boys and gave them some joy in their less than ideal lives. John always felt something a bit more for Hook, daring even to call him by his first name when Jam ...more
Heather M Jones-Lancto
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairytale-twist
I usually do not read M/M storylines. I read one once that was poorly written so when a series has a book that is M/M centric I usually skip over it. When I read Pan I fell in love with Hook. There was no way I was going to skip his story. Gina Maxwell did not disappoint.

James Hook’s story is a hard one to read. With a drug addicted mother who died leaving two young children, James was forced to look out for his two year old brother. They find themselves in a loving home, with caring care-giver
Calli Wolfe
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ever since I discovered Gina, I've loved her books. She has a style and tone to her writing that really grooves with my own inner voice, making those books easy and fun to read. I really enjoyed Pan as well, loving the modern-day take she had on these classic literary characters.

There was much hype about Hook's book and I was excited to dig in, especially once I started seeing Gina's posts about writing it on social media. And the hype was not in vain because this book blew my doors off.

Gina t
Viki /LostForReal/
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rommance, action
A gay retelling of Peter Pan... Who would have thought it would turn out so good?!

I am a fan of retellings. Especially gender swapping ones. Though I can't say I would use Peter Pan as the basis. Maybe it's because despite discovering how adult-content are some fairytales (for example Red Riding Hood just as a big metaphor - and a cautionary tale for girls - about deflowering, like, you know, I am gonna "eat" you, little girl) there are still a few I would have a hard time picturing as a romance
Lovingbooks1
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, kindle, ig
Hook’s story is all I wanted and more........
I’ve waited for this story and I was NOT disappointed, Maxwell has created a story about a hero that can’t see himself as anything but a villain. John helps Hook in so many ways and the relationship building between them throughout the book is heartbreaking and raw but holds a hint of what can be.
The storyline is excellent and I have problems putting it down.
No unnecessary descriptions of surroundings
Good and plenty of dialogues
I’ve got to know Hoo
Savannah Maris
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hook was everything I wanted it to be...adventurous, sexy, suspenseful, full of emotion. I could not have asked for it to be better. Half way through, I knew what I needed to make it a true HEA, and Ms. Maxwell delivered. And proves yet again why she's my go-to author.

Thank you for taking me on such a ride that I lost myself in the story and could even put myself in it. The descriptions, the emotions, made me feel as if I were in the middle of everything that was happening.

Thank you, Ms. Maxwell
Bri (bloodydamn_taveren)
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: guilty-pleasures

One of the perks of working at a used book store is coming across a book you would never have looked for but it catches your eye anyway. This is the Hook retelling I’ve been dying for and I feel so lucky to have come across it.

It’s dark, emotional, and follows the most tortured version of Hook probably ever, yet is brimming with so much light. It’s a balance that seems like it shouldn’t work but it does.

Another book I can’t adequately convey my feelings for, and it’s not enough to say t
Melanie Helms
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy shiz nit. This was a really hot book. M/M if yall didnt catch that. But holy moly i loved it. So so good. Worth the wait and everything. I loved James Hook and John Darling. These guys were the perfect pair. I loved seeing Pan and Wendy. Can i just say im really excited for the other Neverland books!
Nena
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. It was everything I was expecting from the second book in this series. It was hard to read at certain points as it deals with some serious issues and your heart will break. However it has a beautiful HEA.
Marian
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sooo good. Can't wait for Tink now. Thanks to Gina for constant updates on Twitter as to books progress and release! ...more
Michelle
Good book, likable characters. I enjoyed this one a bit more than Pan. I thought Pan was a little too much in the fairy tale version, this one stood out on its own much more.
Alex (HEABookNerd)
Series: Neverland #2
Rating: 5 stars - loved it!

One Sentence Summary: James Hook is a Pirate through and through but he'd do anything to take down Fred Croc's operation even if it means helping Officer John Darling go undercover in the Pirates gang.

HOOK was so good and everything about it worked for me! We first met Hook and John in the first Neverland book, PAN, and there were hints at Hook's tragic past. Now we learn what really happened and how Hook has lived with his anger and pain for year
Mia
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ARC REVIEW

This book shook me to my core.
Here I thought ‘Pan’ was the best book I had read from this author, she had to go and up her game creating this incredible masterpiece.

‘Hook’ by Gina L Maxwell is the second book in her retelling in a unique and new way of the lives of the famous Peter Pan tale characters.
If you haven’t read the first book in the series, then you are doing something wrong with your life that should be rectified ASAP.

‘Hook’ follows the life of one of our favorite villains i
Paula Reid
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Lost Boy finally found.

Hook (Neverland Series Book 2) ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Gina L Maxwell

There are so many things I want to say about this book, I don’t know where to start.
Firstly there needs to be a special star rating for books like Hook, 5 stars just doesn’t do it justice. I haven’t had a book capture my attention, my heart & my tears as much as this one has in years.
The story of Hook is so tragic & beautifully sad, Yes, he’s an asshole to almost everyone and nobody questions it because that’s jus
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Abel (Sabine Valley #1)
  • Reunion (Ace's Wild #7)
  • The Dichotomy of Angels
  • Stocking Stuffers (So Over the Holidays, #1)
  • Christmas Spirit
  • His Royal Highness
  • Tall, Dark & Furious (Pyte/Sentinel, #6)
  • Almost Just Friends (Wildstone, #4)
  • Detour (Getaway, #5)
  • The Sea Witch (Wicked Villains, #5)
  • Sheriff's Secret (Brigs Ferry Bay, #1)
  • Outmatched
  • Infatuation (Underground Kings, #4)
  • Leave Me Breathless
  • The Forbidden Man
  • Spreadsheets (Ace's Wild #8)
  • Heartsong (Green Creek, #3)
Gina L. Maxwell is a full-time writer, wife, and mother living in the upper Midwest, despite her scathing hatred of snow and cold weather. An avid romance novel addict, she began writing as an alternate way of enjoying the romance stories she loves to read. Her debut novel, Seducing Cinderella, hit both the USA Today and New York Times bestseller lists in less than four weeks, and she’s been livin ...more

Neverland (3 books)