Start by marking “Hook (Neverland #2)” as Want to Read:
Hook (Neverland #2)

Hook

(Neverland #2)

Journey back to Neverland, NC with NYT & USA Today Bestselling Author Gina L. Maxwell as she turns your favorite villain into the hero you never knew you needed.

THEY CALL ME HOOK

I’m Captain of the Pirates; a villain by design and a loner by nature.

I don’t need anyone. More than that, I don’t want anyone. Especially Officer John Darling who insists on seeing the g
Published October 29th 2019 by Gina L. Maxwell, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Hook, please sign up.
Gina L. Maxwell Sorry for the delay, Aeriel, but I'm happy to say that HOOK is finally live! Thank you for your interest in my books. :)

Start your review of Hook (Neverland #2)
Kate Meader
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking and uplifting all at once. As always, Gina's writing is immaculate and these characters' journeys will grip you all the way to their hard-won HEA. Loved every minute!
Cassie
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with London and Neverland North Carolina from the first paragraph of Pan. I have also been anticipating Hook from about 30% into Pan. Any seasoned author can incorporate wonder into a book for a side character, but Maxwell laced bits of Hook so perfectly that he was in my head throughout the rest of Peter’s book and the subsequent months after as I waited for this story to be completed.

Lots of authors write the tortured hero. None are quite like Captain James Hook though. He has
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book. I don't know the last time I cheered so hard for two characters to get together. Hook believes he is broken beyond repair, but John Darling is the perfect person to slowly, gently make him whole again. Although the characters are playfully based on the characters in the children's story, the themes of abuse get pretty dark. The author offers an alternative chapter if the reader would rather not read a particularly sensitive flashback. Kudos for this and for also having cha ...more
Christine D
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wicked Hook and darling John = so very intense.
I usually do not enjoy romances that are this dark but these characters are written so well and Gina Maxwell has done a really nice job on the reimagining of these characters in a contemporary setting. This series surprised me and is going to be gooooood.
I love her writing and this book was no exception.

I say 3.5 stars only because it has quite a bit of heavy subject matter, which, as reader was expected, but still diff
Rebecca
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like most of you, Hook by Gina L. Maxwell has been on my mind since finishing Pan and reading the bonus epilogue to get just a bit of insight into the tortured Hook and the man who wants to be the one to help save him. Unlike you, I’ve been privy to Hook and John’s journey from the start; I’ve been just a message away as Gina L. Maxwell painstakingly worked to be true to Hook and John’s character, to truly illustrate just how much Hook loathes himself, even though he tries to hide his pain, his ...more
Marian
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sooo good. Can't wait for Tink now. Thanks to Gina for constant updates on Twitter as to books progress and release!
Paula Reid
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Lost Boy finally found.

Hook (Neverland Series Book 2) ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Gina L Maxwell

There are so many things I want to say about this book, I don’t know where to start.
Firstly there needs to be a special star rating for books like Hook, 5 stars just doesn’t do it justice. I haven’t had a book capture my attention, my heart & my tears as much as this one has in years.
The story of Hook is so tragic & beautifully sad, Yes, he’s an asshole to almost everyone and nobody questions it bec
Malissa
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fast and furious, just finished.

I knew Hook’s story was going to be a bit of a roller coaster, but I didn’t realize just how meaningful it would be. Hook’s story isn’t just about overcoming, its about learning to believe in your own self worth, learning to trust that others can care for you, and most importantly learning to let your heart feel, both pain and joy.

I know from her posts this was a challenging book for Gina to write and I’m so proud of her for taking the extra time to make sure it
Pat
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has so much anger, hatred and sadness, and that’s all in one character! Hook is broken, and his way of dealing with it is to be surly, a loner with a giant chip on his shoulder, till John Darling manages to start to crack his heart. He knows Hook’s inner person that is begging for acceptance and love, but refuses to give it back. The person he hates the most of anyone in this world is Croc. A cruel monster of a man, that thrives on hurting people, especially children. His whole life he ...more
Sherry
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG! This book!!!! This fucking book was everything I needed it to be and more. Gina bled her soul into this book and I am forever grateful to her for such an epic read.

I am a stingy wench when it comes to giving books a 5 star rating. It needs to hit me with all the feels, immerse me in the world I’m reading and twist me up in the best ways. I’m happy, sated and smiling like a loon as I just read the very last word of this book. I took my time with this one and it’s slipped into my book loving
Katie Durante
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely devoured this book.
I loved the relationship between John and James, they complimented each other so well.
You got to really see them develop together and as individuals.
It provided me with adorable moments and struck me right in the heart with James' past.
I would read more books just about them because they are great but I am willing to just see them in passing in the next books in the series.
Jessica
I loved Pan but Hook is AMAZING

Boy oh boy was this book worth the wait! I thought that I loved Pan (which I absolutely did!) But this book blew me away! What an awesome read with all the feels in it, cannot wait for more in this series! Gina writes beautiful characters and stories that absolutely suck you in!
Patricia Fischer
Heart crushingly beautiful story

Get ready for a book hangover, friends.
After waiting for this book, I was not disappointed.
Reading about the dark, tortured soul of Hook finally finding light in John Darling, had me cheering.
Truly heart wrenching and sexy.
Mia
ARC REVIEW

This book shook me to my core.
Here I thought ‘Pan’ was the best book I had read from this author, she had to go and up her game creating this incredible masterpiece.

‘Hook’ by Gina L Maxwell is the second book in her retelling in a unique and new way of the lives of the famous Peter Pan tale characters.
If you haven’t read the first book in the series, then you are doing something wrong with your life that should be rectified ASAP.

‘Hook’ fo
Christine~justlovemybooks.com blog~
Hook by Gina Maxwell was a very dark, intense and disturbing read. I will warn you….. for those of you who are triggered by child abuse of a sexual nature you may want to be extra cautious. While there is no current abuse, there are flashbacks. That said, the flashbacks are not all explicitly graphic, however the author is very talented at painting the picture regardless. There will be no mistaking what you’re reading about.

I praise Gina Maxwell for the boundaries she crosses in her writing. These
Shelves: 2019-arc-reads
I have been waiting for Hook ever since I finished the first book in this series, Pan, where we first meet John Darling and "Captain" Hook. G Maxwell has done an amazing job of creating a modern-take on this classic tale, and these characters surprised me in every way. I was glued to this story. Not only can G Maxwell write MM romance flawlessly, but she does it with deep emotion, and with real and raw feelings that you can't but help feel through the pages.

There are so many layers to Hook...hi
Caffeinated Fae
Trigger Warning: Sexual Assault, Child Abuse, Murder, Abuse, Angst, Drug Use

As many of you know, I've been waiting anxiously for Hook to come out! I was one of the lucky bloggers that Gina gave a copy to in exchange for an honest review. I read Pan earlier this year and fell completely head over heels for Gina's writing, and I've been shoving Pan down everyone's throats because it is that amazing! Now, full disclosure, I have only read one other M/M romance, so I wasn't sure what to
Leah M
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For my full review, visit:

Most kids grow up with the iconic story of Peter Pan, but Gina L. Maxwell’s Hook has reinvented a classic with a decidedly adult spin. While this is book #2 in the Neverland Series (mental note, I need to obtain book #1 immediately), it also works perfectly as a standalone book.

’ve read a lot of romance novels in my day, mostly in my younger years. The plots aren’t always thril
Calli Wolfe
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ever since I discovered Gina, I've loved her books. She has a style and tone to her writing that really grooves with my own inner voice, making those books easy and fun to read. I really enjoyed Pan as well, loving the modern-day take she had on these classic literary characters.

There was much hype about Hook's book and I was excited to dig in, especially once I started seeing Gina's posts about writing it on social media. And the hype was not in vain because this book blew my doors off.

Gina t
Garden Of REden
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
**OFF THE CHARTS

** CASSIE'S REVIEW

Lots of authors write the
Novel Grounds
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This book. I waited what felt like forever for this novel and it was absolutely everything I was hoping it would be.

I can't think of the last time I was so invested in a book to be written. I was absolutely thrilled when it popped on my kindle and though I had to break it up over a few days, this novel was everything I needed it to be.

I hurt reading this. Some of the characters just rip your heart out as you read and some fo the scenes do exactly that same thing.

BUT this book was everything. It was broken
Paige Turner
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Based on Pan, you may have had preconceived notions about Hook but he isn't what he seems. There are certain characters in books that you want to reach in and hug. I found Hook to be one of them. Hook hasn't had the easiest of life and he's often making it more difficult. He's beyond broken but still is a sweetheart by always looking out of his brothers he has a dominating and rough around the edges personality- which I loved! Of course this bad boy would fall for an equally dominant guy, who is ...more
Mandy
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ok can I just give this book ALL the stars? I am blown away by the perfection Gina L. Maxwell gave us with this one. Her best work to date in my opinion. I absolutely could not put it down...and didn’t want it to end.

I’ve been dying for Hook and John’s story, and they were off the charts amazing. Hook is the tortured bad boy criminal with a devastating past, and John is the good boy clean cop who has always crushed on the man they call Captain. When an FBI investigation forces John to go underc
Megan Gemperline
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great story that packs punch

Okay, look. I've liked Gina's books for a few years now. Up until now, I would have said that her book Ruthless was my favorite.

But ....oh my goodness. Hook blew it out of the water and blew me away. I wasn't reading characters, I was reading humans that she just happened to write about.

Every time I thought that was it for gut punches, along came another that I didn't see coming and yet I took gladly.

Hook is the story of a man who thinks he is broken and does
Lovinghotbooks1
Shelves: arc, ig, kindle
Hook’s story is all I wanted and more........
I’ve waited for this story and I was NOT disappointed, Maxwell has created a story about a hero that can’t see himself as anything but a villain. John helps Hook in so many ways and the relationship building between them throughout the book is heartbreaking and raw but holds a hint of what can be.
The storyline is excellent and I have problems putting it down.
No unnecessary descriptions of surroundings
Good and plenty of dialogues
I’ve got
Amanda
Well, I need CPR

Oh my god. This book killed me, brought me back to life, murdered me, and resuscitated me again. After reading Pan, I absolutely expected this book to be dark, and I wasn't surprised by the sense of foreboding that lingered throughout the book like a living beast. Hook's story... someone who has to decide if the want to heal or keep living in the cage someone else put them in... Both choices painful, but not knowing how to receive anything freely given... It's a long journe
RaeLatte
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hook by Gina L. Maxwell is emotionally satisfying and will keep you on the edge of your seat - the gorgeous and sexy cover to the very last page!

If you grew up on stories Neverland and Peter Pan escaping the villainous Hook, hold on. This modern version M/M romance is captivating, daring, bold and takes you on an emotional ride that will tug at your heart.

I thought I was ready for Hook's story, and then Gina surprised me with so much more!

Add this series to yo
AgainWithTheBooks
This is going to be a terrible review because I can't formulate my feelings into words. Is it enough to say I have 4 favorite books from 2019 and this is one of them? It should be enough, I'm a harsh critic.

I am always, always down for a conflicted bad guy tale. Make it a well-known character, but with all sorts of twists, and I'm still here for that. Make it Captain James Hook, convicted arsonist, thief, drug-runner, stuck-in-the-closet badass leader of the Pirates gang........good
BobaFett114
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend!

Such a good book! You should read Pan first because that gives a lot of backstory. I'm not really into male on male fiction, however, I really wanted to read Hook's story. Hook is amazing. He's strong and brave and in need of love like no one else. Enter John. He gets under Hook's skin and wears down his barriers. Then there is Croc...I've never hated a character more. There is a lot of violence and some triggers. It is very well written and even made me cry. The author explains
Kathy Bolar
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is EVERYTHING. Hook has so much to offer, but doesn’t feel worthy of anyone or love. John is the only one that believes in him and is determined to show him what a beautiful man he is. Reading this book—you will experience every emotion...happiness, sadness, tears, laughter. This was another Gina L. Maxwell book that will sit with you and you will be dying for more. Maxwell has the ability to write that shows the gift that she has. As the mother of a gay son, Gina now has me on a missi ...more
Gina L. Maxwell is a full-time writer, wife, and mother living in the upper Midwest, despite her scathing hatred of snow and cold weather. An avid romance novel addict, she began writing as an alternate way of enjoying the romance stories she loves to read. Her debut novel, Seducing Cinderella, hit both the USA Today and New York Times bestseller lists in less than four weeks, and she’s been livin ...more

Neverland (3 books)