Start by marking “When Life Gives You Lemons: The hilarious romantic comedy” as Want to Read:
When Life Gives You Lemons: The hilarious romantic comedy

When Life Gives You Lemons: The hilarious romantic comedy

The hilarious, heartwarming Sunday Times bestseller is back! Available to pre-order now

Sometimes life can be bittersweet . . .

Between tending to the whims of her seven-year-old and the demands of her boss, Viv barely gets a moment to herself. Its not quite the life she wanted, but she hasnt run screaming for the hills yet.

But then Vivs husband Andy makes his mid-life

Published March 5th 2020 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about When Life Gives You Lemons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Life Gives You Lemons

Start your review of When Life Gives You Lemons: The hilarious romantic comedy
Dash fan
4☆ A Very Entertaining, Witty, Light Hearted Read!

Viv is finding everything a lil overwhelming, she's a mum going through menopause and feeling unsupported and unattractive by hubby Andy.

The menopause is giving her an insatiable sex drive... if only Andy would reciprocate.... instead he has a bad back or just too tired.... really?!
Or could it just be that he is having a rampant affair with his younger work colleague?

I'll let you read it and find out for yourself! 🤔

The title of this book is
Jannelies
I do not often read a Fiona Gibson book, but when I do I always want to read more of her. The best part of this one is the characterization. Viv looks like someone I could be friends with, while her husband is not so much creepy as plain stupid. Stupid to leave Viv and throw away the best thing in life he had. I also liked Rose, Viv's boss, because she is hard working and deep down a very nice woman - although she is good in hiding it. And Izzy! An adorable seven-year old if there ever was one. ...more
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To tell the truth, I was a little daunted when I discovered that the protagonist is a fifty-something woman in the throes of menopause. I mean, how could I relate to that? Answer: with difficulty. But that didnt stop me from really enjoying this gem of a read from Gibson.

Oh, did Viv make me laugh. Gibson expertly creates a very entertaining monologue and hearing Vivs inner thoughts on everything around her. Vivs one-liners are hilarious and they had me chuckling. I actually wanted more comedy
Abookishchick
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ive never read any of fiona Gibsons books before but I have to say after reading when life gives you lemons Ill definitely be checking out her other books and be on the look out.

I loved the characters throughout this books and literally laughed out loud through most of it, I was rooting for viv from the beginning. I liked how the characters came together and that they supported one another.

Overall I really enjoyed this book and found the writing flowed and kept me interested throughout.

My rating
Laura ☾
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
*Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review *

Viv is menopausal, with a son in his 20s, and a daughter who is 7. When she finds out husband is cheating on her, her life is turned upside down.

To be honest this wasnt really that gripping to me. Most of the action seemed quite trivial, and especially the parts about her work life seemed rather dull. Maybe Im just not the right target group for this, but I didnt really enjoy it at all.
Antonella
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, women-fiction
When life gives you lemons, make sure to have friends who will bring you gin or vodka...whatever works!

This was my first read by this author. Even though I have heard about her woman fiction books before.
When Life Gives You Lemons is a story about 52-year-old Viv and her life before and after divorce. We learn what she goes through and with what she struggles daily, what happened that led to the break-up, how she is handling it and her children. The book is told through her perspective but we
eyes.2c
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a treat!

At first I thought this would be another hackneyed husband leaves wife, hard times ensue, wife makes recovery, The End, type of read. Ho hum ...
But No! This was so much more--witty, real, and enormously enjoyable!
Beginning with 'The Before,' where a menopausal Viv bemoaning the little extras this gift adds to life whilst husband Andy is being as helpful as an ostrich with its head in the sand, the scene is set for a whirlwind read. It doesn't take any keen insight to know the story
Storme Reads A Lot
Im over the life starts for older women when they have a philandering husband. So over that trope. Hate it. So much. Im not a fan. Viv is like oh my god my life is over. Shes got two kids. Of course trying to work it out with the husband fails. Like why would anyone go back to a cheater? Pass. Also, the second half of the book where she has this new life was so weird and impossible to believe. Didnt love this book at all. ...more
Melanie’s reads
As a woman of a certain age this book had me chuckling away at some of the utterly relatable incidents regarding middle age and menopause. Fiona Gibson has not only managed to portray how women start to become invisible and taken for granted but she has done it with a terrific sense of style and humour.

I really felt for Viv right from the start and she is like so many women that try to do everything and please everybody that she rarely thinks of herself. Then she discovers her husband (utter
Whispering Stories
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

Middle-aged Viv is going through the menopause. Her husband Andy has been less than helpful even though hes a doctor. He complains about her night sweats and doesnt want to discuss her symptoms with her.

Viv thinks that it is just because of the menopause he is being unhelpful but when she uses an app on his phone to look at the night sky and messages start coming through from a younger, slimmer colleague she realises that hes actually been having an
Fabulous Book Fiend
Oh I so enjoyed this book. I don't often relate so well to characters with a big age difference to me but in this case I feel fro Viv hook line and sinker, I was on her side and rooting fro her right from the word go. I love that Fiona Gibson has written a book about a menopausal woman and shown what life is like just going through all those hormonal changes warts and all. I value the honesty and rawness of the writing and the humour of the situations that she managed to uncover.

Yes Viv is a
Amanda
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adore Fiona's work and I have read every book that she has released to date. When I heard that Fiona was due to release another book called 'When Life Gives You Lemons', I read the synopsis and I just knew that I had to grab a copy of the book as soon as possible. It sounded just like the funny and light hearted read that I so desperately needed. I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'When Life Gives You Lemons' but more about that in a bit.
I took to the character of Viv from the first time
Jane Hunt

Viv is a lovely realistic character, so easy to like. When she finds out her husband is having an affair, it forces her to look at her life. Heartbroken, struggling to cope with her understandable anger, her dissatisfaction with life, and the menopause, she turns to her friends. Gradually Viv finds the courage to rediscover, the woman she is, and the life she wants.

Full of authentic family life moments, humour, poignancy and an unexpected dash of romance, this book is an easy, engaging read
Best Crime Books & More
I feel a little bit conflicted writing this review. I really like Fiona Gibson books and she has a very easy quality about her writing but in all honesty this wasn't one of my favourites of hers.

Viv is our lead character and is of a 'certain age' shall we say. There were numerous mentions of menopausal symptoms which at times were funny but at others a little too much. Her husband is an absolute idiot and she ends up newly single while her husband moves in with his new girlfriend.

I didn't
Hannah
I picked up this book liking the cover and title. When life gives you lemons just add gin and tonic. A great slogan for life. As for the story it started a little slow for me but just kept getting better and better. I liked the main character Viv and how she started tol ook for the positives in life including G and T. Her kids and supporting characters all added to the depth of the story. The writing style was enjoyable and I will be reading more of Fiona Gibson's books.
Ashley (Ashley.and.her.books)
I found the first half of the book to be a bit slow. I think it picked up toward the second half. It was a cute story about a woman going through many life changes all at once, how she copes and moves on with the help of some good friends. I didn't find myself unable to put it down. While I like the characters, I didn't find the story to be very unique. Overall, I thought it was a good story, it just lacked that spark that makes a story unforgettable.
Anitajt
The book started of well, then dwindled off but came back to life again. Viv reminded me of what a friend went through, the trials, tribulations and the effects of a husband leaving you. Well written and humorous in places and at times quite relatable.

Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
Agi
Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it

"When Life Gives You Lemons" introduces us to Viv, 52 years old, with two children, husband and stabile life. However, this life is about to change radically, when she discovers that her husbands has an affair. What follows is a story of a mature woman, coping (or not) with divorce and juggling life as a single - mother.

The book is advertised to be a hilarious romantic comedy. Publishers, please stop doing this - promising things and than not keeping your promises. It was neither hilarious nor
Juli
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
I would like to thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for my advanced copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

This was my first Fiona Gibson novel and I found it engaging, poignant, at times funny, at others a bit sad, and on the rare occasion even frustrating. All in all, this means, I enjoyed myself.

We meet Viv, a middle-aged mother, wife, and coworker. She finds herself in a bit of a rut career-wise, but thank goodness, she has everything in place with her little family.
Monica Mac
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the sound of this book as this woman was a similar age to myself and I thought it would be relatable. It was, to a certain extent.

Viv is married to Andy, who decides that someone else's bed is more comfy than his own. This throws all sorts of spanners in the works of a life that is a fairly normal one when you have been married for 25 years. Through the processing of Andy's affair, Viv discovers that she has very good friends around her and there IS more to her, than dutiful wife and
Zee Monodee
I'm always cringing when I go into this type of women's fiction/chick-lit books because the woman is usually a soggy mess who is borderline pathetic and someone I just want to shake and tell 'get it together, woman!' And when there are kids involved, I am even warier because these kids tend to be utter brats who'd get a piece of my mind if they were kids I actually knew.
What a relief that this was NOT the case here! Viv is relatable, a bit over-the-top with the 'my life is over' aspect, but
Kelly
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uno-2020
Funny, insightful and satisfying. Three things I like a book. Very enjoyable read. Great characters with plenty of giggly moments. Ludo is one to look out for! Easy to read and not overly predictable.

Sue Vickery
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fiona Gibson has done it again, a truly fab read. Loved it. I would love to see a follow on.
Rona Nimmo
When life gives you lemons by Fiona Gibson.

Viv is in her mid fifties and is extremely menopausal. Andy is her disagreeable grumpy husband, who is a doctor. Andy is also extremely disagreeable, uninterested and Discompassionate about Vivs menopausal life. Furthermore Viv is quite unsettled in her life at present whilst she doesnt really know which way is up,

The bones of the story are very good however the book is long winded before it gets to the point of the narrative. It all comes together in
Aimee Walker Editorial
This wasn't my favourite of Fiona Gibson's novels. I still enjoyed it but I didn't really identify with the main character, maybe it was the age difference; I think this one might suit the late 40s/50s ladies better. What I did enjoy was the fashion element, all the descriptions of the clothes and the build up to the fashion show was really well done.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Annarella
Give more stories like this one! I loved it and I read it as fast as could.
Great characters, great plot and an author who is a talented storyteller.
It was an engrossing and entertaining read, highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Tea Leaves and Reads
I've never read a book by Fiona Gibson - and after struggling through this one I'm not sure that I will try another. There was nothing out of the ordinary within this book - nothing different - no big revelations - it was all somewhat predictable. A book about a woman whose husband has left her and she thinks that life is over...is quite an overdone concept. So when reading about it I want there to be something else that sets it apart from those that have gone down that road before. Sadly, it ...more
Sara Oxton
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Life Gives You Lemons by Fiona Gibson a five-star read that will make you snort your Lemondrop, as you will be laughing so hard. You will laugh so hard you will either cry, or if you are on the older side you may leak in other ways!! It shows us how good Fiona Gibson is at writing characters you will adore and want to help pick the pieces up, this is one of those stories you will identify with someone in some small way. This isnt my favourite Fiona Gibson story, but it is a very good one. ...more
Vikkie
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is absolutely hilarious and extremely uplifting.I haven't been able to put this one down and adore the plot, the characters and the author.This is such a cute little book and I have found myself laughing out loud on a number of occasions. This is a great read which you don't have to put any concentration into. As a reader, you can just sit and enjoy the story unfolding.This is not my first read by this author, I definitely couldn't wait to get stuck into it though. The writer makes it easy ...more
TracieB♠️
Oh my I didn't want this to finish! I've read a few intense books this January so it really was nice to sink in to a light funny lovely read!
Easy writing style and brilliant characters, Especially Penny, even Ludo bless him.
Cannot wait to go and buy more of Fiona Gibson's books, I'm a new fan!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Christmas at Rachel’s Pudding Pantry
  • Strangers
  • The Liar’s Daughter
  • The Secret Seaside Escape
  • Has Anyone Seen My Sex Life?
  • The 24-Hour Café
  • Out of the Blue (Meet Me at Pebble Beach #1)
Fiona is an author and journalist who has written for many UK publications including The Observer, The Guardian, Marie Claire, Red, New Woman, Top Sante and Elle. She writes a monthly column for Sainsburys magazine and is a Contributing Editor at Red magazine.

Fiona lives in Scotland with her husband, their twin sons and daughter. She likes to draw, run 10k races, play her saxophone and lie in the

News & Interviews