Start by marking “Nobody Tricks the Trickster” as Want to Read:
Nobody Tricks the Trickster

Nobody Tricks the Trickster

How long does it take for the past to catch up with us? And how far do we need to go to hide from our fears? Lau and Adam have been running and hiding for decades. Too scared to walk the street with their heads up held high, they have sought refuge in small and isolated towns.
But maybe they have been running for too long. In a bleak fishermen's town, they might finally fac
Published October 29th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Nobody Tricks the Trickster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nobody Tricks the Trickster

Start your review of Nobody Tricks the Trickster
Bookish Nessie
I really like urban fantasy. I found the world-building in this short-story really interesting. The pacing is fast and action packed and the writing very enjoyable.
The ending though... I needed more! :)
If you didn't choose your Halloween read yet or you're looking for another one, here's a great suggestion.
Joana
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
It brought me so many vibes... From Alice in Wonderland (probably you'll not see where this came from), to Daughter of Smoke and Bone, to Shadowhunters, Camilla Lackberg... Even Monstress! And it worked!
I really wish there was more to this story, to know more from the characters past and, I ought to say, to discover some things that remained closed.
It's fast paced and we're always on the edge of our seat, trying to figure out what's really going on.
All in all it is a good short story and I recom
Book Symbiosis
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I have been waiting to read Ana's first story ever since she announced she was writing fictional pieces. The time has finally come...THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

I really enjoyed reading Ana's debut short story. She masterly released it close to the Halloween night, as if she wanted us to be in the perfect mood for it -- the thing is, she didn't need to! Her talent for writing beautiful descriptions (of not only the place, but also the atmosphere and everything it encompasses) makes it impossible for the
Ana Reis
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
What can I say without sounding corny and self-entitled? I'll just say that writing and publishing this story taught me a lot about the process of becoming a writer.
I will miss all my characters, even my beautiful antagonists, because they taught me that being an artist means to let go and to let the stories speak on our behalf.
This story also taught me that being a writer doesn't have to be a lonely, lonely road. In the end, Lau and Adam were there for each other, in the same way I want to be t
Ana Costa
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have never been very into dark fantasy or short stories for the matter, but boy oh boy, did I liked this one. It's very engaging from beginning to end, with an intriguing setting and interesting characters. Great writing, without any nonsense purple prose. We can really feel the tension built up throughout the story, which leads to an ending that perfectly fits the genre and adds a very much appreciated twist. I’m definitely excited to see what more this author can bring us. 4,5/5
Sha
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it

This was actually pretty dark.....

Trigger warning for gruesome content I guess

This story is meant to be short which means theres no way to fit in so much character growth or world building but there was about enough to fit the story.

This has so MUCH potential to be a full length book and I'd totally read that! I liked the idea and the atmosphere. I kinda expected the plot twist but it was still as enjoyable as a 30 page book could be.
Marisa
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
So, it gets a lot bloody on this short story that Ana wrote. It has a really way of describing the details, that makes them alive in your mind as if you were in the same place with the characters. Really enjoyed the end! Twisted!!!
Pat
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The author is portuguese, so I'm gonna do my review in portuguese. However, the story is in english so go check this great story!

Meu Deus, surpreendeu-me tanto! Não estava mesmo nada disto, especialmente das reviravoltas que acontecem, são fantásticas!

Estava receosa em ler por ser “dark fantasy” (sou uma medricas T-T), contudo a história não mete medo, mas as descrições, seja do local, sejam dos acontecimentos são capazes de arrepiar – conseguimos mesmo estar com as personagens nesses momentos!

A
Patricia Morais
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don't usually like short-stories so it's unusual for me to like one. But I must say this one definitely convinced me.
For starters, I think Ana C. Reis has an amazing capacity for worldbuilding, I could feel the scenario and suspense right off the front page. The writing was fluid and straight to the action - which is another thing I love - while still letting in enough detail for us to imagine the type of world the author created. And that ending.... I have a dark streak and I can already see
Andreia
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Que dizer desta história? Ana escreve mais e transforma esta história num livro bem grande, por favor. A história é sombria tal como eu gosto, com descrições que sintonizam a mente do leitor no ambiente da história e personagens que nos deixam a querer saber mais sobre elas e sobre o passado que as levou ali. Houve uma parte do twist final que eu já desconfiava, mas foi um bom twist.
Para terminar: não estou satisfeita com apenas este pedacinho da história destas personagens e da sua magia. Quer
Leonor
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The minute I started this short-story on my lunch break I couldn't stop. I even forgot to eat, as I was seating on the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen.

First of all, this short-story is beautifully written. It's hard to believe the author isn't native english, as the words and sentences are all beautiful and very well done.

I really enjoyed the story, it kept me addicted until the end, I just couldn't stop. The plot-twists were really well executed and not at all predictable, I wa
Nicolene
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cruel, cruel, cruel. Ana is one of those author's who just rip your heart out and feed it to the lions. Did she take inspiration from G. R. R. Martin? I have read this short story a while ago but just the other day it popped in my mind and I was thinking: damn I need to know what happened before and I need to know what happened next, it can't just end like that, I need the hero to win. I think I spent a while muttering to myself about this story. So beautiful written and full of emotions.
Cláudia
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
3,5⭐ I really enjoyed this!
Constantina Maud
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer alert towards all interested parties:
The following review comes from dark fantasy-reading novice battlements. Because although I am here for its themes, readily indulging in the occasional e.g. film or tv-show-watching, I cannot avow any sort of seafaring authority in dark fantasy-reading waters.
And yet let me tell you that this story had an atmosphere I really loved.
Nobody Tricks the Trickster is the first literary offspring of Ana Reis, who always amazes me with her diligence and ha
Corina
Dec 27, 2019

• Sombras
  • Asuras Bride
  • Let's Play
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Blackbird #1 (Blackbird, #1)
  • Blackbird #2 (Blackbird, #2)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Mooncakes
  • The Harp of Kings (Warrior Bards, #1)
  • Five ​Dark Fates (Three Dark Crowns, #4)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Encontrar-me, Encontrar-te, Encontrá-lo
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • Azul Instantâneo
  • Daimon (Covenant, #0.5)
  • The Man Who Planted Trees
Ana C. Reis was born in a small village on the outskirts of Porto, Portugal, that most foreigners find hard to pronounce. She has been an official nomad since 2009 but found a new home in the city of Strasbourg (France) where she lives with her husband since 2019.

Being an awkward, shy, and a bit of chubby kid, she found comfort in writing and reading early in her life. Fantasy books allowed her to

News & Interviews