Start by marking “What Are Friends For?” as Want to Read:
What Are Friends For?

What Are Friends For?

(Love in Fenton County)

FALLING IN LOVE ISN'T COMPLICATED...UNLESS IT'S WITH YOUR BEST FRIEND.

She thinks she's kissing Jeremy, the totally hot basketball player she's been crushing on. And the kiss...it's amazing. Heart-sto
Published January 14th 2020 by Golden Crown Publishing (first published January 2020)

To ask other readers questions about What Are Friends For?, please sign up.
Sophie Fitzpatrick It's clean, just kissing. I'm in middle school and I love this book.…moreIt's clean, just kissing. I'm in middle school and I love this book.(less)

Start your review of What Are Friends For?
tappkalina
Jan 05, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found Sarah's authortube channel last week, and I love to read at least one book from the authortubers I like and follow.

So here we are.

As always, the review is more about me than the book, but hear me out. I love ranting. lol

This is her first book and it has the "worst" rating (3.93 is not bad at any means), but this was the one that captured my attention the most. The cover is adorable, and it's best friends to lovers, which is probably my favorite romance trope. The stakes cauldn't be high
Mefab✨
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Will you still love me if Principal Martinez makes me repeat my senior year?”

Why is it so cute! I love cuteness! I live for it!
*Screams*

This book is a light read with a good pace. Nothing is rushing so you'll feel every emotion with Remi, the lead character and nothing dragged that you'll feel bored out of your mind.

Can we please talk about the cover ? Cuz it's adorable The cover is what pulled me.

🔻REMI BEAUFORT🔺

Remi Grace Beaufort. She is such a bright spirit! Eli was right when he said she
Sue✨
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really cute story. I needed one to get me out of my somber mood and this one certainly did the job. I loved everything about this book the writing style , the main characters and the story itself. Remi and Elijah are a meant to be couple and their chemistry is off the charts. I really liked Remi, she's so funny and kind and most of all, she's depicted as a normal teenager with all the mood swings and inexperienced look at life that comes with that age. Elijah is swoon worthy, I loved h ...more
Yoda
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a perfect example of an okay book. I think I might give it more stars than it deserves just because it was such a surprise that I actually enjoyed it. With that I mean that I always, always, always buy terrible kindle books that disappoint me just so the next book I read is actually decent in comparison. However I did really enjoy this one, there was some plot twists, characters weren´t all terrible, the plot was sweet/funny and there was some growth/character development. I give it 4 stars ...more
Anna
Feb 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adorable, What Are Friends For tells the story of what happens when you kiss your best friend... and realize you liked it. Remi didn’t mean to kiss Elijah, but now her heart is all jumbled up - what if he doesn’t feel the same way?

Remi was fun to follow and Elijah was a cute love interesting. There was depth in the family relationships and it was wonderful to see Remi grow as a person. Sarah Sutton has a great writing style and I can’t wait to read more from her!
TMR
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 17+
Note: I received an ARC generously from the author in exchange for an honest review.

So to summarize y'all, it's basically a closet game gone wrong. But the good kind of wrong.

The cover - Is quirky and hints at the what story may be.

The summary - A close, easygoing friendship can all change with just one kiss. Seventeen-year-old Remi Beaufort learns this the hard way when she plays a blindfolded kissing game at a party.

She thinks she's kissing Jeremy, the totally hot basketball player she's bee
Jenn (Jenn’s Bookshelf)
Absolutely. Adored.

From the absolutely incredibly well fleshed out characters to the intricate plot, I loved EVERY SECOND OF THIS BOOK!
I think this book also is the reason I miiiiight like Friends to Lovers more than Enemies to Lovers... which was my self-proclaimed favourite trope in romance books. There is something so cute about it, something so warm and intimate that it just wraps me in a warm blanket. Remi and Eli are so so so good. Ah!
The vibe of this book is more mature than most YA Rom
Madelin Pickett
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
** What are Friends For? **

One kiss can change everything. Remi Beaufort, goes to a party and participates in a game that leaves her blindfolded in a closet and sharing a mind-altering kiss with a boy. Who she finds out is her best friend after she bumps her head and her blindfold falls off.

Remi struggles throughout the whole book to tell her best friend Elijah that they shared a kiss, but she also doesn’t want to ruin their life long friendship and become between him and his girlfriend.

QUI
Amy Dufera - Amy's MM Romance Reviews
There are certain books that fall into your life at the ideal time. Sarah Sutton's What Are Friends For? is one of those books for me. It's an impressive young adult romance that had me engrossed from the start.

This romance between best friends Remi and Elijah is intriguing and charming. The issues are realistic and emotional. The relationship, it's mishaps, it's obstacles, and it's ultimate progression are wonderfully done.

A first time author, I'm very impressed with the author's writing. She
Lauren Clark
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well. I recently found Sarah's youtube channel. On seeing she had a book published and after reading the description, I purchased it IMMEDIATELY.
Friends-to-lovers stories are my favourite and this book hit every trope I love!
I read it one sitting. One. It's a definite page turner full of drama and chemistry and angst. The character's were SO likeable, and I really enjoyed how EVERY character had an arc, such as Savannah. The ending really took me by surprise at well the author tied everything up
Kari Hansen
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Remi and Elijah are in high school and the best of friends who have never thought of each other in a romantic manner until that night. A kissing game in a dark closet goes sideways and instead of Remi kissing the boy she was crushing on she ends up kissing Elijah instead. It wouldn’t have been so unsettling if it wasn’t for the fact that he thought he was kissing his girlfriend or that it raised feelings in Remi that had her conflicted about their relationship.

Remi and Elijah both have some issu
Cassie Kelley
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, romance
I was given an ARC for this book in exchange for an honest review.

Remi and Elijah have been best friends for years. Remi couldn’t imagine falling in love with him, but one accidental kiss changes her entire perspective. In this romantic YA novel, follow Remi as she struggles to come to terms with new feelings and thoughts about her old friend.

Sarah Sutton brings these characters to life with stirring words and excellent prose. The emotions fly off the page and sink deep into your heart, and yo
Steph Downey
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was a fun, easy read (finished it in a couple sittings) and the writing was well done. Remi’s voice is great and easy to spend hours with. The internal dialogue was phenomenal and I enjoyed the character interactions as well. There were quite a few descriptions that were so good, I read them a couple times (good writing does that to me). I also found the pacing just right. The only issues I had (and it’s so small) was understanding the timeline. She is nearing the ...more
L.L. Lily
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The moment I "ugly cried" I already knew its a 5/5

I often talk about this in books I review: If a book can make me cry and feel a certain way EVEN BEFORE the story has ended its already a 5 out of 5 star rating for me. It means I'm emotionally invested in the characters and stories and the story touched my soul where not a lot of "powerhouse" or "well known authors" could. This is the first book (I believe) that kept me crying throughout I swore I must have ended up dehydrated. I'd type a long a
Kim
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, 2020
This was such a lovely read. I fell in love with Remi and Elijah almost instantly and couldn’t help but want to know more about them and watch their relationship grow. When I read YA (which I absolutely love) I find that I always have some deep issues with the main characters (that’s my old age showing) but not this time. I absolutely loved every page of this book, I could have enjoyed at least another hundred pages.
Emma L.
Rtc

Rating: 🌟🌟🌟 (3/5 stars).

I really liked the narrator of the audiobook and I have to say that the audiobook was overall really well done.

For this being an indie published book I honestly have to say that its quality was a lot better than the majority of traditional published YA contemporary books of 2020.

This ended a bit too happy gooshy mushy that it was a bit unrealistic but it was cute anyways.

Also, Remi for almost failing her senior year of high school because of art is honestly relatabl
Chaya
Dec 23, 2020 rated it did not like it
Since I am still going through rom com phase *sighs*,

I am not going to write a big review for this one. To sum this book up, it was sweet. I do not regret reading it but I probably will not read it again.
This book had old classic best friends falling in love but with no twist. I really am not against using classic(read same) plots but at least something should be changed. I got bored of this story very fat. Very fast.

The only good thing about the book was Eli's paper Mache project. It was sweet.
Tarnparit
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book made my heart ache. There were some unrealistic elements, but some events and elements were very realistic.
Megan
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have no words. I’m struggling to write this review because it’s so hard to put how much I love this book into words.
First of all, I read this book in roughly 4 hours. Once I picked it up, I couldn’t stop. Here’s the funny thing: while I read a lot of YA and love romance, I never read YA romance. I often read YA fantasy that has romance in it, but I never just read YA romance. I often find it over-bearing, cringey, and, in some cases, inappropriate. At some point, I mostly gave up the genre a
Shelby Loren Scott
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was sent an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Remi and Elijah have been best friends since grade school--absolutely inseparable. One kissing mishap at her crush's party, check! This kiss changes Remi's whole perception of her best friend, sending her down a path of secret pining. She wants him, but doesn't want to lose him if the truth about their kiss comes to light.

Right away, the very first chapter sucked me in immediately. I was already connecting with the characters and lo
Emma
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of What Are Friends For? in exchange for an honest review.

And honestly? I loved it. I couldn't put this book down from the moment I started it. I dreamed about it at night and woke up excited to continue reading. I fell for every character in the story; I connected with them, felt their pain and happiness, and struggled when they struggled. I'm left wanting to read more and can't wait for the next book to come out.

Sarah Sutton does an amazing job weaving a story. The plot is we
Regina Faith
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was such a cute story, I loved it. I’ve noticed that I read books that sort of parallel my life in a way. Remi and Elijah’s friendship, reminded me of my friendship with my guy friend of 14 years. Although, we weren’t grade school best friends, we knew each other likes, dislikes, etc, just like Remi and Elijah knew about other’s likes and dislikes, etc. In the story, Remi and Elijah’s started out as grade school best friends, who at a party kissed each other unknowingly and found out that t ...more
Angelina Singer
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
SO SO CUTE WOW. Literally had me gasping and sighing at the sweetness of this story. The characters are relatable and as the reader, I felt myself falling head over heels for their personalities. Seeing how twisted things got, and how it was handled by the characters was quite a ride. I didn't realize this was the author's debut novel - that being the case, that makes this story all the more impressive. I will definitely keep an eye out to see what else she publishes in the future! ...more
Sarah Wendt
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
A sweet, engaging read! I fell in love with Remi and Elijah in this relatable friends-to-lovers story that threw me straight back into high school. The author does a great job of ramming the emotions down your throat, whether you wanted to feel them or not. While at times the characters can be frustrating, they’re for completely realistic reasons. Who doesn’t have communication issues as a teenager? Looking forward to more from the author!
4.5/5 stars
Sara Corpuz
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-books
DISCLAIMER: I did not get this book from the author for exchange of a review. This is an honest review and my opinion only. I hope the prospective reader will read this review fully before making any prejudgments on the book. I will give the book my thoughts, good and bad. Also, this review contains opinions that are my own and not the author’s. My thoughts will be different from your thoughts and just know that before reading the book. Lower in the review, I will talk about disclaimers in the b ...more
Arceli
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can’t wait for this book to be released
Ariel
Jun 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
I seriously debated between ratings because I really loved the ending, but felt the beginning was so subpar. In the end, I decided on 3.5 stars, and here's why.

It was a bit of a slow start. The characters were trying to be established (I'll get to this later) and the plot was being laid down, but we didn't really get into it all until about 7 chapters in. Despite this slow start, I was still a bit intrigued so I kept reading.

About halfway through the book, I realized why I was feeling so torn wi
Jenn
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a brilliant YA debut. I had a hard time assigning a numbered star value to this book. So much of it was absolutely brilliant—I still feel that way. If you’re looking for a fun and engaging read, definitely check it out. WAFF is such a light and buoyant book. It’s a delicious feel good rom com.

I received a copy through a social media giveaway. I’ve been wanting to read this book for awhile and I was pleasantly surprised and definitely not let down. Sarah is a brilliant writer and I only
Nikkita Bell
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The second I picked up this book, I couldn't put it down. It took me a little under 72 hours to read and it was a whirlwind of an adventure full of heart and soul. Sarah Sutton told a tale as old as time, an absolute delight from start to finish. The story follows a senior in high school named Remi and the trials and tribulations of schoolwork, friendships, parental relationships, and, of course, falling in love with her best friend.
I fell in love with the relationships in the story and often f
Thamy
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Upon reading the summary, I just had to gt my hands on this book! And yet, I didn't expect to enjoy it this much.

The plot goes as you can predict, the main characters have been best friends for a long time to the point Elijah helps Remi shop for underwear. Their dynamics change when Elijah gets a girlfriend who, as expected, frowns upon their proximity. But the real change occurs when Remi accidentally kisses Elijah in a dark room, while he thinks it's his girlfriend.

I like that this budding rom
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Please move my book from someone else's page 5 247 Nov 11, 2019 03:56PM

• Announcing Trouble
  • Something New
  • I Hate You, Fuller James
  • It Had to be Mason (Beachbreak High #1)
  • Melt My Heart
  • Chase Jones is My Fake Boyfriend (Rumors and Lies at Evermore High #1)
  • Popularity is Just an Equation
  • Faking It (Fake Boyfriend Duet Book 1)
  • Beneath a Summer Sky
  • Dare You to Kiss the Quarterback (Rock Valley High #1)
  • Meet Me at Midnight
  • Dare You to Fall for the Catcher (Rock Valley High #3)
  • How to Quit Your Crush
  • Dare You to Date the Point Guard (Rock Valley High #2)
  • My Brother's Best Friend (Sweet Mountain High #5)
  • Dylan Ramirez is My Forbidden Boyfriend (Rumors and Lies at Evermore High #3)
  • Saving It
  • James and the Giant Peach
Sarah Sutton is a YA Romance author, bringing you stories about teenagers falling in love (sometimes with magic)✨She spends her days dreaming up ideas with her two adorable puppies by her side being cheerleaders (and mega distractions).

Love in Fenton County (4 books)
  • Out of My League