Start by marking “Hanukkah at the Great Greenwich Ice Creamery” as Want to Read:
Hanukkah at the Great Greenwich Ice Creamery

Hanukkah at the Great Greenwich Ice Creamery

Hanukkah days, Christmas nights and strawberry ice cream …
Cohen Ford is a man who could do with a little bit of sweetening up. It’s no surprise that when he walks into The Great Greenwich Ice Creamery on a typically gloomy London day before Christmas, he insists on a black coffee rather than his childhood favourite – strawberry ice cream.
But then he meets River de Luca,
Published December 4th 2019 by Choc Lit

To ask other readers questions about Hanukkah at the Great Greenwich Ice Creamery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hanukkah at the Great Greenwich Ice Creamery

Start your review of Hanukkah at the Great Greenwich Ice Creamery
Julie
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hanukkah at the Great Greenwich Ice Creamery by Sharon Ibbotson is a 2019 Choc Lit publication.

A divinely enchanting and whimsical holiday treat!

World weary Cohen Ford grudgingly weathers the London gloom to run an errand for his mother. His mission takes him to a Greenwich ice creamery where he comes face to face with River De Luca-the daughter of his mother’s best friend, who is definitely off limits. His world tilts on its axis, causing him to pause and take stock of his life.

River’s life
Brenda
Cohen Ford was in London from New York and entered The Great Greenwich Ice Creamery to give his mother’s long-time friend a gift from her. Rushi de Luca owned the ice creamery and her daughter River worked by her side. Cohen was immediately drawn to River and her to him. But River was deaf, the cause meningitis when she was only two years old. Rushi had adopted River when her own parents deserted her and was fiercely protective of her...

Cohen was a slave to his job – an elevated position at the
Noriko
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short and sweet, absolutely scrumptious story of love, redemption, and reconciliation.

I didn’t know what to expect from this book when I picked it up, but I am now pleasantly surprised and my heart is filled to the brim with happy, warm feelings.

First of all, this is the first book that I’ve read casting a deaf person as one of the main characters and I found it quite refreshing and novel (no pun intended). I have read a lot of books portraying mental illness or physical disabilities but I had
Frankie (Chicks, Rogues and Scandals)
This is a charming seasonal love story, with a really unique romance, between a grouchy Jewish New Yorker, trying his hardest to avoid Hanukkah with family and a deaf woman who creates ice cream flavours. This is the first Hanukkah set romance I have read – in fact, delete that, this is the first Hanukkah romance I have seen and I thoroughly enjoyed it, there definitely needs to be more stories like this in the world, I applaud Choc Lit and Sharon Ibbotson for giving this enchanting stories ...more
Kirsty ❤️
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read quite a few romances now (after starting to enjoy them quite late on) and this is the first one that features Judaism and Hanukkah. I really enjoyed the change. Cohen is in London to avoid his mother, dealing with the death of his father and end of his marriage and he's quite miserable. Going to Greenwich (one of my favourite places) to drop off an overdue birthday present to his mother's best friend he meets River and falls hopelessly in love and everything moves quite quickly after ...more
Shalini
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a cute love story which was told from the man's POV

Cohen was a workaholic who had come to the Greenwich Ice Creamery on an errand for his mother where he met River. It was quite an attraction between the two. But River was deaf and it was now upto to Cohen to learn and speak the sign language to proclaim and prove his love for her. Both the seems of mothers didn't want the relationship initially. So the stakes were high for Cohen.

My first book by author Sharon Ibbotson, it was quite a
Rachel Gilbey
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea what to expect going into this book, I've never read anything by this author before, and rarely see a Hanukkah romance, let alone read one.

So all around I was pleasantly surprised and impressed by this story.

I loved the concept of the romance between Cohen and River.

Cohen is the Jewish man who is a workaholic, and has a patchy relationship with his mother. He's been known to be rather selfish in the past

But that all changes the day he meets River, who is serving at the ice
Karen Mace
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A delicious romantic treat of a read!! And told from the male point of view which was just a wonderful twist and added so much to a touching story - and has left me craving ice cream more than ever!!

Cohen is an American working in London. His mother has asked him to deliver a present to an old friend, so he visits her at the Ice Cream shop and immediately becomes captivated by the mysterious River who he meets there. She's not like any woman he's ever met before and it's going to take something
Reconciliation
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love stories that push boundaries and are original, this is one of those reads. Often we, as a society, stick to the rigid “right thing to do” or do what we are told by our parents without question. Nothing is sweeter than the fruit of forbidden love, especially when the normal route of communication is closed. If each one of us actually took time to “read” people’s body language I believe some people would like their new found self and work hard to change.

Love knows no boundaries and love
Marlene
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Reading Reality

I picked this book because it was a Hanukkah romance – and there are entirely too few of them. There a oodles of Xmas romances – and they are often quite lovely – but it’s always nice to see oneself and one’s own culture represented in stories.

There wasn’t quite as much Hanukkah as I was hoping for, but there were plenty of the mixed feelings associated with being Jewish in the midst of what feels like the entire universe celebrating an entirely different
Melissa
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are books that fall into your life with little fanfare and end up being absolute treasures. For me, this December, one of those books is Sharon Ibbotson’s Hanukkah at the Great Greenwich Ice Creamery, which is a romance told in food and shared stories.

It’s the structure of the novel that struck me first. Each chapter is headed by a word – usually a food item, but not always – and then the chapter builds to include that word. Sometimes that inclusion is offhand, other times it’s extremely
Amanda
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my word, I was attracted to this book from the beautifully purple cover alone and the mention of ice cream in the title sealed the deal as it were. What can I say, my favourite colour is purple and I would eat ice cream by the bucketload if I could. That's enough about me. The synopsis of this book screamed 'you need to read this book like now!!' So I did what I was told, grabbed a cup of tea in one hand and sat down with my Kindle in the other and began to read. I absolutely loved reading ...more
Leah M
Dec 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
I was initially really excited to finally read a Hanukkah romance, since I've noticed a glaring lack of representation for Jewish characters in holiday romances. I WAS excited ... until I got about 3 pages in.

Cohen was the first character we meet. He's clearly very concerned about his expensive clothing and his money (Jewish trope #1 - we're all rich). His mother, who is described as having connections with amazing and powerful people all around the world, and is a strong force in the boardroom
Janice
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don’t buy into any of that ‘don’t judge a book by its cover’ nonsense. Who wouldn’t be lured by the gorgeous cover of this book?! It hints at all the tantalising delights hidden inside!

Cohen Ford has come to London to lick his wounds. He’s upset at the death of his father, but more than that, he’s angry with himself for not being with his dad at the end of his life and feeling like he’s not the son that he should have been. Linked to that is his complicated relationship with his mother Esther,
Deborah Barker
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OK I need to be honest here, I was never going to give this book anything other than five stars. Full disclosure - the author is my sister and I am so proud of her for getting her work out there, that I want the whole world to read her books. But I will also readily confess.... wait for it... I genuinely loved this book. I really enjoyed getting to know Cohen and River, and I loved the story. I have had the privilege of eating ice cream in Greenwich with my sister (what she will not do in the ...more
Pam Robertson
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it

Written through the hero's eyes for the most part, I thoroughly enjoyed this story which makes ideal holiday reading. Cohen turned out to be quite a complex character and certainly one who did not fit any stereotypes. His childhood proved to be still casting a shadow over his present, as he came to realise that he didn't much like the adult he had become.

There are some clear messages behind the story of how disability does not need to define you or hold you back. Home is not necessarily a
Isabelle D
Ice cream in December? Unusual, but why not? As long as I could have a hot chocolate to stop shivering afterwards, I'd gladly taste several of the flavours sold by River in this delightful Hanukkah/Christmas story.
It's all in Cohen's point of view, so for once we don't get to know what the heroine thinks, but I didn't really mind. And I really liked the way they managed to communicate in spite of River being deaf and Cohen not knowing sign language (but, of course, he quickly decides to learn).
Tasha Mahoney
This was a complete surprise for me. I rarely read books that touch on religion and Sharon Ibbotson is a new author to me but I have to say that the surprise was a pleasant one.

The characterisation was outstanding and I came away from this story with not only enjoying the journey that Cohen and River took together but also how they overcame the hurdles that life had naturally placed in their way.

I took from this story a feeling that I had not only read a wonderful romance, but also that
Hanukkah
Tiziana Langone
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love is the cure for everything!

Cohen is a man bittered through life. Against his will, but just to pleasure his mother, he visits The Great Greenwich Ice Creamery. He expects to see his mother’s friend, but there he meets River de Luca. Instantly he is intrigued by this beautiful woman, and does everything he can to get to know her better, despite warnings to stay away from her.Every Tuesday he goes back to the Ice Creamery, the only day when there are no prying eyes.
Wow, just wow… I don’t know
Barbara
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very unusual Christmas story. A warm hearted, transatlantic romance with a twist. The heroine, is deaf, and the daughter of Cohen's mother's friend. These major problems are what the story deals with. I found the depiction of River's deafness was very well put over. The author makes you feel for both River and Cohen wasyou are rooting for a happy ending in time for Christmas. Curl up with a hot chocolate and enjoy the book.
Gill
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story seemed a bit darker than I would normally prefer and a little strange to begin with. Everything seemed against the hero – his relationships were all bad, until he met River, who then became his light. Once he seemed to get a grip and as he puts it ‘grew up’, I had a great deal more liking for him, and began to get involved with the story, which I did enjoy. There were some touching moments too. Definitely worth 4 stars.
Carol Thomas
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lovely, heart-warming original story. I liked the characters of Cohen and River (great names too) and enjoyed watching their relationship develop as they learned to communicate and face the challenges that came their way. I have never read a Hanukkah romance before and greatly enjoyed this one. It was a refreshing story – in more ways than one, as there was plenty of delicious sounding ice-cream mentioned too.
Laura Bang
Now I really want some ice cream.
Amanda Lavelle
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Ruth
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A story about a man finding love and happiness in a foreign land.

Leaving his bad memories in New York, Cohen is a jaded American living in London on a 12-month contract, he's the CEO for a large company, working long hours in an unsatisfying job.

One bleak winter evening he travels to the other side of London to deliver a present to his mother's friend, who, together with her daughter River, runs an ice cream parlour. It's cold, wet and the middle of winter, all Cohen wants is to get out of the
Tahseena Khadeeja

• Bluebell’s Christmas Magic
  • Izzy's Christmas Star
  • Daisy's Christmas Gift Shop
  • Happy Christmas Eve
  • Christmas on the Isle of Skye (Tempest Sisters #4)
  • The Cake Fairies
  • Naughty or Nice
  • Eve's Christmas: A delightful story following the search for Christmas perfection!
  • In the Heart of Windy Pines
  • Coming Home to Merriment Bay: Part Four: Starry Skies
  • Snowflakes over Moondance Cottage: A glorious festive treat of a read, full of family drama and sparkling romance
  • Christmas at the Chateau (A French Escape #2)
  • Keeper of Secrets
  • A Wedding in December
  • Coming Home to Merriment Bay: Part Three: Christmas
  • Reach for a Star
  • A Christmas Kiss (Life on the Moors Book 4)