Start by marking “The Other Side of the Coin: The Queen, the Dresser and the Wardrobe” as Want to Read:
The Other Side of the Coin: The Queen, the Dresser and the Wardrobe

The Other Side of the Coin: The Queen, the Dresser and the Wardrobe

THE OFFICIAL BOOK, FULLY ENDORSED BY QUEEN ELIZABETH II

From Her Majesty’s trusted confidant and Dresser Angela Kelly LVO comes a lavishly designed book of never-before-seen photos of The Queen, Her wardrobe and Her jewels and features intimate anecdotes from Angela’s 25-year career working closely with Her Majesty. A truly unique keepsake and collectors’ item to be

Published October 29th 2019 by Harper

Start your review of The Other Side of the Coin: The Queen, the Dresser and the Wardrobe
Petra-X
Why was the book written? The author had previously written Dressing the Queen: The Jubilee Wardrobe and this is more of the same. The title hints that there will be revelations about the Queen as only someone who has seen her in her bra and knickers would know. But the revelations are few and far between and not really pleasant to read. If the Queen says something nice or amusing, it is elevated as if it was extraordinary but if anyone else said it, no one would bother mentioning it. I'm not ...more
Firetruckmama
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want gossip about The Queen of England or the Royal Family, this is not the book for you. If you want a carefully crafted look into the life of someone who works for the Queen, with some interesting stories, then you might find this book enjoyable. I cannot say that I know for certain what, exactly, a Dresser to the Queen does - besides a lot - but this was the second book the author's written on this topic, so that could've been covered in her previous book. A note about the audiobook - ...more
Kellie Wilson
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amusing and lighthearted

Such a lovely account of her majesty the Queen. Angela Kelly writes descreetly and with joy for a job she clearly love
Leslie Goddard
Angela Kelly truly has a wonderful gift for style, and the best part about this little book is how well it conveys her love for beautiful fabrics, well-tailored garments and clothing that is both stylish and comfortable. She also clearly has a deep respect and admiration for Queen Elizabeth II, which shows as well. Kelly balances the Queen’s down-to-earth unfussiness and frugality with the need to keep Her Majesty looking fashionable — there are some sweet stories about getting the tax back on ...more
Susan Snodgrass
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love all things about the British monarchy and had read Angels Kelly’s first book about dressing the queen. This go round, she delves deeper into the queen’s life and engagements. Loved it.
Liz Smith
Pleasant

I can't quite put my finger on it. Angela comes across as a very competent dresser to HM but I didn't like the inclusion of so many personal endorsements from family and co-workers. It all felt a little too self glorifying.
Brittany Maddox
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like a 4.5!! There were a few slower parts to it! But man, what a book!
Andrea
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You know how when you had to write a paper in school and there was a minimum length requirement so you just kept repeating and rewording the same thoughts over and over? That is this book.

Kelly seems like a truly sweet lady. But as she still works for the Queen, the “revelations” are not a thrill. This is stodgy from start to finish.
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ
If you love the Queen than you'll enjoy this peek inside her world. Note: Angela Kelly had the Queen's permission to write this book.
Jessica
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a highly enjoyable read. To my knowledge, this is the first book sanctioned by the Queen written by a staff member; a current staff member at that.

Angela describes the Queen in a personal light without revealing anything too personal and nothing scandalous. Queen Elizabeth is interested in the details of every aspect of her job and what is reflected to the world. I loved the stories of local tribes, people and markets from her visits supply her wardrobe. That QEII enjoys a good
Gina *loves sunshine*
I found this book to be super interesting!!!!!! The author tells the story of her time buying, designing and making the Queen's wardrobe. It was fascinating and held my attention throughout...not dishy at all! The book was just as private and stately as the Queen! Angela is obviously an important person in the Queen's life just in general! If you are a fan of Downton Abbey or any of the European time period shows and love to see what they are wearing - then you will appreciate how much effort ...more
Dale Wyant
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a thoroughly delightful read about Kelly's special relationship with the Queen. The more I read and know about Her Majesty, the more I admire her. She has weathered so much, but has done it with a great sense of duty and knowledge of her place in history. She is ultra aware of making sure her public is able to see her and that she acknowledges them in return. It was fun to discover more of her sense of humor and good to know she has caring allies around her. The photographs make this a ...more
Sali Coja
I guess I had my hopes up too high for this book. Not to take credit away from Ms. Kelly’s duties to the queen but the book had a lot of nods to herself. I found Her description of some of the people mentioned to be a bit belittling. You are the Queen’s dresser, dear. Not the prime minister.
Ozana
Interesting, quick read about Queen Elizabeth, good for passing time.
Lisa Barbour
Some interesting details, but I felt there was way too much patting herself on the back by the author. I don’t understand why letters were included in this book that praised the author. As a result, I skipped these parts and found the book to be disappointing.
Dara (Dara Reads OK)
Very interesting to ME although maybe not for others. Yes I do want to read every detail about royal hat emergencies.
Kathleen
It was very good. Don't expect any hot gossip, but there are still stories that are quite charming to hear about if your truly fascinated by the Queen.
Bloss ♡
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

This is a nice afternoon read.

The pictures were great and it was wonderful to see the Queen’s outfits and never-before-seen photographs. I loved some of the stories as well.

Some of this book felt repetitive and more focused on the author than the Queen. It felt a little bit like the author was using her job at the Royal Household to big herself up and naval-gaze (the letters of recommendation and blurbs from external parties praising the author were a bit odd). It felt like a long winded
Rachel G
I can’t remember how I heard about Elizabeth Holmes (not THAT Elizabeth Holmes) and her “So Many Thoughts” commentary on British royal fashion, but I have really enjoyed her posts and insight on the wardrobe choices of high profile women like Kate and Meghan. Recently, Elizabeth recommended Angela Kelly’s book on the Queen’s wardrobe.

It was a fun and light audiobook. Angela Kelly narrates it herself and I was drawn in to her experiences with the Queen and how fashion plays a big role in royal
Mackenzie
This was definitely interesting to learn insight about the Queen and her operations. Wow, a lot goes into just her clothing! While I know that was the focus of this book, some of it got monotonous as I’m not as passionate about it as Angela. But it was definitely cool to hear about how she plans the Queen’s outfits based on what she’s doing. Like matching the background, making her outfits bright to stand out in a crowd, the material she uses because she will be stepping out of a cab, and so on.
Andrea Larson
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
I enjoyed this, but it’s truly just for fans of the royal family and their wardrobes. There’s no dirt, no gossip, just a very sweet account of Angela Kelly’s years of service dressing the Queen. I listened to the audiobook read by Ms Kelly and it’s clear that she absolutely loves her job and the Queen. If you want to hear about things like how they pack up the Queen’s wardrobe for royal trips, this is a book for you.
Susan Santangelo
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating glimpse of what it’s like to serve the Queen...

Who would have guessed how much thought and creativity goes into each detail of everything the Queen wears? From the vibrant fabric colors to the slant of a feather on a hat, nothing escapes the eye of Angela Kelly who seems to orchestrate her team with good humor and expertise. This is a delightful book that includes a host of charming photographs.
Sharon
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always enjoyed the history, pomp and circumstance of the royals and have read a number of non-fiction books about them. This book does not reveal any of the Queen's secrets (nor did I expect it to) but it does give us a peek into her daily life & schedule which I found interesting. And the pictures are wonderful.
Kristin Brown
I loved the glimpse behind the scenes of the Queen’s wardrobe and what it’s like to work so closely with her. It was delightful to look through the photos and get some background on everything that goes into her clothes. But the writing wasn’t great and I didn’t really connect with the author herself so it was a little lacking overall.
Nancy Murphy
Dressing the Queen--now there's a unique career option! Surprisingly fascinating to see how her wardrobe is designed, made, and managed to accommodate an incredibly busy and varied schedule. And the hats! A perfect complement to Season 3 of The Crown!
Helen  Tee
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great insight

A great insight to the royal household & work of the dressers especially if you’re interested in dressmaking & fashion.
The only slight criticism is that several chapters were in Angela’s first book & are repeated in this book
Lizzy
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a charming, quick read about life as Queen Elizabeth’s personal stylist/clothing designer. I was hoping for more tidbits about the Queen and royal family, but the information included was interesting and kept me reading to the end.
Chrismcginn
Dec 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I listened to this quaint book read by the author about her years dressing Queen Elizabeth. As an absolute Anglophile, I greatly enjoyed this little peek behind the curtain into the queen's private life by someone who knows and loves her. Short chapters. Easy read or listen.
Gail Fellus
Nov 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
Angela Kelly’s book would have been an interesting short story. Her writing is poor and repetitive. By the book’s end it is clear that she thinks she is the best dresser, the best boss and the best friend to the Queen EVER.
Susan J. Armstrong
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful fun to read

Very instructive. Amazing in detail to read about all that is involved in the many events the Queen takes part in. The thank yous to the author from her grandchildren are marvelous.

• Lady in Waiting: My Extraordinary Life in the Shadow of the Crown
  • The Other Windsor Girl: A Novel of Princess Margaret, Royal Rebel
  • The Mountbattens: Their Lives & Loves
  • Home Work: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years
  • Our Rainbow Queen
  • The Miracle and Tragedy of the Dionne Quintuplets
  • Touched by the Sun: My Friendship with Jackie
  • Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)
  • Me
  • Cosy: The British Art of Comfort
  • A Bitter Feast (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James #18)
  • American Royals (American Royals, #1)
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • Wham! George & Me
  • Mycroft and Sherlock: The Empty Birdcage
  • The Crown: The Official Companion, Volume 2: Political Scandal, Personal Struggle, and the Years That Defined Elizabeth II (1956-1977)
  • In Five Years