Start by marking “Good Dogs Don't Make it to the South Pole” as Want to Read:
Good Dogs Don't Make it to the South Pole

Good Dogs Don't Make it to the South Pole

The best thing you can aspire to in this world, is company. Whether it's for pleasure or pain, a crowning or an execution: everything is better with company. You might say it all went to hell with Mrs. Thorkildsen, but you know what? It could have been worse, because Mrs. Thorkildsen had me to keep her company. And I had her. That's what we had in common, her and me, what ...more
Published February 4th 2020 by Allen and Unwin

To ask other readers questions about Good Dogs Don't Make it to the South Pole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Dogs Don't Make it to the South Pole

Start your review of Good Dogs Don't Make it to the South Pole
Ian Smith
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
GOOD DOGS DON’T MAKE IT TO THE SOUTH POLE by HANS-OLAV THYVOLD
I ordered this book because it purports to be about Roald Amundsen and Captain Robert F. Scott’s efforts to reach the South Pole and, yes, that does come into it but, the book is all about Tassen, a dog no less. If fact, it’s written by the dog which opens up all sorts of possibilities. I found it very insightful into all aspects of animal behaviour.
The dog is owned by an elderly couple named Thorkildsen (and I wish it was about
Dale Harcombe
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Two and a half stars
I started this expecting it to be a light and amusing read. After all it is told from the point of view of a dog, Tassen. After the Major dies it is up to Tassen and the Major’s wife to carry on. They settle into a life together surrounded by books and stories of the 1911 race to reach the South Pole first, between Norway’s explorer Roald Admunsen and Britain’s’ Captain Robert Scott. What started as an entertaining and amusing read though turned into something else. It became
M - The long hot spell
(Edit (25/01/20): I think this book had a much darker ending that I realised at the time of finishing it. It's only been two days of course but my mind keeps returning to this story, going over the things that happened in it. This is not a light story - it's kept buoyant by the humour, but actually it deals with some rather confronting and depressing things.)

What an odd book this was and before you think I have complaints, I mean it in the nicest way. This was five stars for me so you know I
Tine Katrine
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lo høyt flere ganger. Lettlest og underholdende, anbefales!
Saskia
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scandi-lit
Soweit meine Erfahrungen langt, riecht jedes Buch auf dieser Welt anders. Vielleicht ist es keine große Überraschung, dass eine alte, in Leder gebundene Ausgabe anders riecht als ein billiges Taschenbuch, aber da gibt es noch mehr. Ein Buch nimmt natürlich den Geruch desjeniegen an, der es liest, sowie den Geruch des Ortes, an dem es gelesen wird. Und darüber hinaus nimmt es den Geruch der vergehenden Zeit in sich auf. Das war der Geruch, den ich in der Bibliothek wiedererkannte, als wir beim ...more
Lillemor
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
En fantastisk bok om verdens snilleste hund, som blindt stoler på menneskene rundt seg, selv om han blir fortalt nøyaktig hvorfor han ikke burde gjøre det. Jeg elsker hunder enda litt mer etter å ha sett verden gjennom Tassens øyne. Vi mennesker fortjener ikke hunder.
Tanya
Jan 25, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arcs
After much agonising, I'm calling this a DNF at page 166 (55% read). I absolutely hate giving up on books, but I also feel life is too short to spend reading books you're not enjoying. And unfortunately, this book has me feeling this way. It's having me put off reading when I used to love it, reading it for me is a chore instead of a pleasure, and so I'm having to conclude it's not the book for me.

Good Dogs Don't Make it to the South Pole is the story of a dog called Tassen. After his master,
Emily
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
A beautifully touching story about loneliness, friendship, grief, mortality and not only finding but maintaining our purpose in this world.
Strongly recommended for fans of The Last Family in England by Matt Haig and all animal lovers.
Tim
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Hans-Olav Thyvold and Allen & Unwin for the ARC of Good Dogs Don't Make it to the South Pole.

I enjoyed this immensely, the character development is superb. I felt strong connections to Tassen and Mrs Thorkildsen and truly disliked Bitch. Tassen is quick witted, his sensitive sense of smell and his observations of people are hilarious. There are many laugh out loud moments. The accounts of the Antarctic expeditions are fascinating; informative and confronting. There are poignant
Astrid Bjaanes
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Morsom (særlig når man har eller har hatt hund). Slutten er tvetydig og (antagelig trist...). Ble rett og slett litt satt ut på siste side....
Serena
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC copy from Allen and Unwin, just before the school holidays, which was the perfect time to settle in and catch up on reading!

This book is written from the perspective of Tassen, a family dog. He is a clever dog, but the human world isn't quite so easy for him to understand, which leads to a number of entertaining events.

It begins with the death of Tassen's owner: Mr Thorkildsen, the events that follow show the journey that Tassen & Mrs. Thorkildsen take to come to terms with
Deb
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Just loved it. I loved that the dog, Tassen told the story. I loved every single bit about Roald Admunsen's journey to the South Pole in 1911. Even better was all the information about the dogs that Admunsen took with him.

So, if you are a dog lover and have an interest in the South Pole, there is a good chance you will enjoy this book. But, there is a lot more to this book than dogs and the South Pole. The book has beautiful, memorable characters. Some of the characters are
Belinda Segovia
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
The perfect heart warming book to break up my latest run of dark reading material. I laughed out loud, I cried in a few places, exactly what I needed at exactly the right time.

Thank you A&U for the advanced copy!
Vivi Renate Audsdotter
Verden sett gjennom øynene til cocker spanielen Tassen. Humreverdig, lærerikt (tenk, så lite visste jeg altså om polfarer Amundsen) med undertoner til livets tyngre sider.
Absolutt fornøyelig og annerledes.
Helen
Jan 03, 2020 rated it liked it
This was an easy and enjoyable read, funny, sweet and sad. The unusual premise of being narrated by a dog sparked my interest but it didn’t really deliver and I never felt fully invested in the characters. Too many long passages focusing on the polar expedition, which I lost interest in, and a few loose ends that never went anywhere (although maybe that was the point given the narrator..?). Overall, good but not great. Thanks to Allen & Unwin for the ARC.
Helene

• Beauty
  • Lost Companions: Reflections on the Death of Pets
  • The Deep
  • My Bison
  • Esme's Wish (Esme Series #1)
  • A Bond Undone (Legends of the Condor Heroes, #2)
  • Hunger Winter: A World War II Novel
  • The Very Last Leaf
  • Loved (House of Night Other World, #1)
  • Dangerous Remedy (Dangerous Remedy, #1)