Start by marking “Parsnips in Love” as Want to Read:
Parsnips in Love

Parsnips in Love

An ailing farmer in rural Iran unearths an extraordinary find: two parsnips, grown together and looking for all the world like entwined lovers. For now, the sublime treasure is his secret. Wrapping it in a
Audible Audio, Unabridged, 2 pages
Published October 31st 2019 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about Parsnips in Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parsnips in Love

Start your review of Parsnips in Love
Jinx:The:Poet {the Literary Masochist, Ink Ninja & Word Roamer}
Parsnips in Love: A Short Story was a very interesting short story, overall. Though somewhat odd in nature, it was also a very sweet, thought-provoking read. It was a very unique story, that poses many questions about life, love, sex, relationships and death.

"From award-winning Iranian author Porochista Khakpour comes a tender fable about the shapes love takes, a discovery of ineffable beauty, and the desire to make it last.

An ailing farmer in rural Iran unearths an extraordinary find: two
Bethany
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
““We are all beautiful when we are young,” his wife said, and for a moment he remembered her body in butter. “But it passes.””

Very strange but thought provoking!
Amber
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book it was quirky and weird and made me smile.
Suanne Laqueur
If you have ten minutes this is the sweetest little story.
Bernard Farrell
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short story and quick read. It's interesting how the characters were affected by the parsnips and how these enhanced their lives in both temporary and longer term ways. Also how the inanimate parsnips helped their communication to improve overall.
Terri Gilbert
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
An interesting little book - very short for a novel, a little longer than a typical short story. This fable involves a farmer who finds a pair of parsnips grown together in way that suggests entwined lovers. At first he's afraid to let anyone see it/them, but then shares his find with a young man who suggests they share it on Facebook. The parsnips' beauty affects everyone who sees them.
Bookphile
There were aspects of this story I really liked, but it didn't completely blow me away.
Selah Pike
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
One of the oddest books I’ve ever read.
Meredith Van Schoick
Meh

Unusual for sure. Insightful into the life of a poor Iranian farming couple. Just not for me. So it goes.
Denise Hughes
This really wasn't my cup of tea
Susanna Chin
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very quaint novella that leaves the reader with plenty of “food for thought”( pardon the pun!!)
Jessica
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jessica by: Goodreads; 2019 Challenge prompts
Shelves: fiction
I love this kind of ethereal story where a small element (the parsnip) creates an existential exploration (in this case, on sex, love, and relationships). To be honest, I wanted more of it- a little more insight and consideration - but it became clear these characters are not necessarily capable of giving us that. This is a modern tale but Khakpour manages to maintain a fairy-tale quality, despite the intrusion of social media into the story line. I liked this a lot and look forward to a ...more
Marsha
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting, quick read.
Sandra Osborn
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little magical realism
Amy
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a strange little tale. It started out with great promise and the story that she began was sweet. I felt like I understood, the beauty that was seen...
The story then takes a strange ending about 3/4 of the way and dispirito my best hopes it never found it's way back.
I wouldn't recommend it, and based on the ending I doubt I would pick up any of the authors other works, which is sad because it seemed like it had such a great story based on the synopsis.
Kent Winward
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairy tale meets the Internet.
Annie
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, Yes, I know this has deeper meaning but I can't get over sexy vegetables. Blame Craig Ferguson's dirty vegetable pics from the Late Late Show. ...more
Christina Cunningham
Lovely

Such a delightful story, I laughed, I cried, and I bought a packet of parsnip seed. Thank you to Porochista..
Jude
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this slowly, especially at the beginning. I felt the beginning was strong, and somewhere in the middle it sort of fell apart for a bit...but it did somewhat redeem itself at the end.

A tale about a farmer and his parsnips, the feelings they awakened with the farmer and those who saw them. It is a little offbeat, kind of folktale like...quick enjoyable read.
Mayumi Poe
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A big, loud YES to this quietly luminous short that considers private griefs (big, small) in life and yearning for more. When a little bit of beauty or magic, how far will we go to hold onto it, as starved as we are? PITCH PERFECT. Buy it. Read it. You’re welcome.
Harry Wingfield
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is more like an extended short story than a book. It's a very short read. But it is delightful.
athenap

• Can You Feel This?
  • The Lion's Den
  • Zenith Man
  • Everything My Mother Taught Me
  • The Beckoning Fair One (Disorder collection)
  • Anonymous (Disorder collection)
  • The Way the World Ends (Warmer Collection #1)
  • Loam (Disorder collection)
  • The List (The Real Thing collection)
  • Boyfriends of Dorothy (The Real Thing collection)
  • Ungirls (Disorder collection)
  • Will Williams (Disorder collection)
  • Single Asiatic Male Seeks Ride or Die Chick (The Real Thing collection)
  • It's Not About You: A Brief Guide to a Meaningful Life
  • The Best Girls (Disorder collection)
Porochista Khakpour is the author of the memoir Sick (Harper Perennial, June 2018)—a “Most Anticipated Book of 2018,” according to HuffPost, Bustle, Bitch, Nylon, Volume1 Brooklyn, The Rumpus, and more. She also authored the novels The Last Illusion (Bloomsbury, 2014)—a 2014 "Best Book of the Year" according to NPR, Kirkus, Buzzfeed, Popmatters, Electric Literature, and more — and Sons and Other ...more