Start by marking “Big Cat, Small Cat” as Want to Read:
Big Cat, Small Cat

Big Cat, Small Cat

An interactive, full color book about cats of all sizes, shapes and dispositions, Big Cat, Small Cat introduces children to rhyming and opposites in a fun and engaging way.

Big Cat, Small Cat takes readers through a fantastical world of felines, where they will encounter many different pairs of cats—from good and bad to happy and sad. The book’s sing-song text leaves out th
Published August 25th 2009 by Abbeville Kids (first published April 7th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Big Cat, Small Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Cat, Small Cat

Gwen the Librarian
Sep 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
I'm not crazy about the illustration style of this book of opposites featuring cats, but what I do really like is that when the child is supposed to guess the answer, the answer is NOT written on the page. It's truly a guess. You have your rhyming hints, but it makes a better read-aloud flow as well as a true guessing book.
Melissa
Review as it appears on my blog: www.mommywantstoread.blogspot.com

Can you guess why I requested this from *Netgalley? Yup, cats. For those who do not know my son
is obsessed with cats. I think he almost wishes he were a cat. So I knew that even if he didn't want me to read to him all I would have to do is mention it is a cat book to get him on board the reading train.

Big Cat, Small Cat is a fairly simple rhyming book. All different kinds of cats from ones in cages to ones with colds.

There was a
Suzanne
Jun 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Big Cat, Small Cat is a cute little book with plenty of room for child interaction. I appreciated the pages that trailed off, prompting the child to contribute the rhyming (and opposite) word to finish the sentence. I think this story is a great way to add interaction during story time.

The only thing I didn't like is all of the cats are a bit on the creepy looking side. I think this story could have benefited from more realistic lo
Marie
Sep 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
As a book of opposites this is not exceptional, but it is an excellent book to use for rhyming and phonological awareness. At the end of each two-page spread the text trails off so the children with whom this book is shared must fill in the rhyming word that describes the last image. I'm looking forward to using it in a story time program.
Amanda
Mar 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is a wonderful book full of rhyming and opposites. It gives some unique words like petite that provide an opportunity for discussion with children. It also has open sentences so that the children can fill in the blanks with the correct rhyming word using story and picture clues. What a great way to teach parents how to read with their child.
Julie Barrett
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Big Cat, Small Cat by Ami Rubinger
Pub Date: March 17, 2009
ISBN: 9780789210296
Illustrated, very colorful children's book.
Pages show and state in words about the sizes and shapes and many other characteristics of different cats.
Good educational tool and fun for all.

Vim
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
From Abbeville Press
by NetGalley

This is a fun book to read. For cat lovers out there this is the book we can read to our children for bed time :) It's fun and interactive. :)
Susan
Nov 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fun, read-aloud with rhyming opposites that you finish the line. Too bad the pictures are a little freaky.
Alethea A
Apr 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Clever omission of rhyming words and demonstration of opposites. Illustrations hideous. Worth a quick read.
Katy
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is an odd one. I dig his elephant book for ST and have recommended it to others but this one was a lot weirder than that and the cats were kind of freaky.
Michelle
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't like the art or how the cats are portrayed
Joy Lane
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-storytime-0-5
I like the interactive component and cute illustrations
Liane Marie
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it

Category: Hardcover (Hebrew)

Hebrew title: חתול גדול, חתול קטן

Age: 1-3+ years

Synopsis: Ami Rubinger is a prolific, imaginative Israeli author and illustrator of children’s picture books. His picture books feature whimsical and delightfully absurd stories and illustrations. The books also have reoccurring characters. “Big Cat, Small Cat” is a rhyming book about opposites, in which various cats are labeled by their type (small vs. big, tall vs. short, etc.).

Bilingual benefit: This book is availa
Mollie
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Big Cat, Small Cat is a comparison book of different types of cats' moods, colors, locations, cleanliness, weight and more; some with open questions for kids to fill in their own idea of what is happening. The illustrations are very basic, but very colorful--all cats are featured on tall or short hills with random colors for the background and various objects placed in the scene. Almost all of the cats feature Cleopatra-like eyes and Cheshire cat grins, which was on the verge of being disturbing ...more
Jezire C Akin
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely adorable! If you love cats and books that have a rhyming pattern than I would definitely suggesting picking this up to read with the children in your life.

I loved the lesson of the story and the fact that it was promoting diversity and gives young readers at the differences between others but also saying that it is okay to be different and that you can still be special.

I thought the art was so vibrant and the fact that this is told with cats is just extra icing on the cake.

I
Lisa
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Big Cat, Small Cat, like it's companions Dog Number 1, Dog Number 10 and I Dream of an Elephant focuses on one aspect of learning and allows the reader to finish the rhyming line.

The dog book was all about numbers and the elephant book was all about colors, this cat book is all about descriptions and opposites. Happy and sad, up high, down low etc., are just a couple of examples of the quirky illustrated cats in this wonderful children's book.
Tracy
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a fun book, especially if the child likes cats. My 7 year old had fun reading this book herself due to the cats. The book is a great teaching tool about opposites, where you see a drawing of a cat that is feeling well and then another cat that is feeling sick. Or one that is brave and another that is scared. These and other combinations are ones I don't remember seeing before in books that talk about opposites. I think that along with the cats makes this book a big winner for me. The boo ...more
Cember
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone Reading to a little one
I think Ami did an amazing job with this clever book. As a mommy I am always trying to find, not just a book that will hold my hyper daughters attention, but a book that has fun ways to teach my little one things that she doesn't realize she already knows. This book is amazing at doing just that. It isn't just colorful art with a few words here and there. This book has so much more than many books don't hold.

When reading this book my daughters learned different meanings, what is opposite, and w
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Big Cat, Small Cat is a a wonderful book full of rhyming and opposites. All different kinds of cats from ones in cages to ones with colds are used in the story. At the end of each two-page spread the text trails off so the children with whom this book is shared must fill in the rhyming word that describes the last image. With picture clues and simple rhymes most of them are easy to figure out, but some words (Petite instead of small) might require some support from the adult reading the book. A ...more
BookDrunkard
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I really wanted to like this book, I love cats, I have a few myself. Usually children's books that have anything to do with animals are a delight. The positives, I liked that it helped show children how to rhyme. I just wish that on the pages where the word was left blank, when you turned the page it would say the word. This cat is small, this cat is.......TALL! So it still gives the child a chance to come up with the word, but gives it to them on the next page. Also, I wasn't thrilled with the ...more
Stacey
Feb 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good book on opposites. It would only work with toddlers if I abridged it. Better for preschoolers, and probably better for one on one sharing rather than for storytime. The cat with the cold and the dirty cat are hilarious. It has a picture of a cat reading the exact book that you are reading. Kids looove that! I like that it has the lead in questions like "This cat is nice, this cat is mean, this cat is dirty, this cat is . . .(clean)". I'll probably get Octopus' Opposites by Stella Blackstone ...more
Carol
"This cat is big, this cat is small. This cat is short, this cat is..." This adorable little board book is a great way to teach your kids about opposites, rhyming and prediction. As you read each pair of opposites it will rhyme with the next pair, though that one isn't actually written. The reader, or the one being read to, must guess using the previous line and the clues in the picture. This is a charming interactive concept book to read with your toddlers. And if you like this one, check out s ...more
Melissa
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
I really don't like the illustration style in this book. Some of those cats look really creepy...I think I would have been terrified of them as a small child myself!

But it has a good premise. Each page introduces pairs of cats and the rhyming couplet always trails off so that the child reading the book has to supply the last word. Most of them are pairs of opposites as well which is good for children to learn, but some of them were a little strange, and not obvious opposites (This cat is on the
zapkode
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
{my thoughts} - This is a really nice book that touches base on opposites and rhyming. I read this book with my 6 year-old and although there are some words he did not know due to complexity in language, he still enjoyed the book. He also enjoyed pointing out how each of the cats were alike but different at the same time. I believe this is a great book for the kindergarten – first grade level as it appears to fall in that category of learning.

The illustrations are nice, eye catching and easy for
Marie
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Thanks for allowing me to share this with my son. I really loved this book - as a cat fan it appealed even more to me. This is a great book for teaching children about opposites - wet dry, small big etc - language that is not always taught by parents automatically. I love the fact it has gaps to encourage the child to pick the correct word for themselves too.
my son is too young to understand yet but he loved looking at the virant pictures, colours etc. Really love this one and would definitely b
Christian
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Netgalley ARC

Once again, Ami Rubinger has written an adorable book that helps children in group particpation as well as teaches opposites in a fun way. Each cat presented has a little rhyme of its own with that missing word at the end again as Ami's other books. The missing word is the opposite of the word described by the rhyme. Each page is entertaining by the art that covers it.

I really enjoyed reading this book and was entertained by the pictures of all the cats and their characteristics.

Suzanne
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, ya-kid-lit
This rhyming text with examples of opposites starts of with the cats in the title, one big and one small. The next two are short and ... The pattern of alternating between a page where both opposites are named, then leaving the end of the next rhyme to fill in gets the reader involved quickly. The cats are very bright and colorful and will hold the attention of young readers. It would work well in a lesson on opposites for language arts in the primary grades.

I read an e-book provided by the publ
E.
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-my-blog
This would a great book for pre-school teacher or a daycare worker, however, would be great for parents as well. Great "ReadAlong" book. It's format is a wonderful idea. Throughout the book the child has to figure out the next word which is a great way of keeping the child involved. Illustrations are perfect for small children. This book is deffinately a must have.
Read entire review on my blog:
Kids, Teens and Tweens
Elaine
With cats galore this book is fun
Just right to share when the day is done
A delightful book, told in rhyme
With a word missing every . . . .

Children will love to describe each cat
There is no doubt at all about that
They'll also find it great to end the rhyme
For each verse, every . . . . .

I have no hesitation at all today
To highly regard this book, I say
Hurry, go take a great big look
Then go out and buy yourself this . . . .
Seriously Reviewed
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A totally cute story that had my little ones glued to the screen of my computer while we were reading. Interactive and engaging, with colorful pictures and easy to follow lines. It made for a great educational read for my 4 year old :) I had to read it 5 times when we first got it. The kids were so excited about the pictures of the cats and guessing what would come next.

While there were a few of the Fill-in-the-blanks that my youngest did not get, they were still happy :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »