Start by marking “Shielded (Shielded, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shielded (Shielded, #1)

Shielded

(Shielded #1)

For fans of Sorcery of Thorns and Furyborn comes a thrilling new fantasy about a kingdom ravaged by war, and the princess who might be the key to saving not only those closest to her, but the kingdom itself, if she reveals the very secret that could destroy her.

The kingdom of Hálendi is in trouble. It's losing the war at its borders, and rumors of a new, deadlier threat on
Expected publication: July 21st 2020 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Shielded, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shielded

Start your review of Shielded (Shielded, #1)
Sheena ☆ Oh, the Sheenanigans!

“Shielded” tells the tale of Princess Jennesara, who sent off to marry her betrothed to the prince of neighboring Turia in exchange for resources needed to save her Kingdom and when she is in route, a surprise ambushed alters the course of her life forever. Filled with betrayal, world-building, romance, fantasy, magic, and strong family ties (surprising to say the least), the reader is thrown in epic adventure that will have you turning pages faster than you had ever imagined.

And let’s
Maddie
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of 'Snow Like Ashes'
ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Firstly, let's take a moment to appreciate this beautiful cover. I thought I hated every cover with a face on it but clearly no. Like, is this not the most gorgeous cover? That's what I thought.

Okay, now with what I thought of the book itself.

What an amazing start to a series!

This story, at its core, is about the bitter-sweetness of leaving your childhood behind as you enter into adulthood. It's about the fear, as
AJ
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
”Dark triangle tops of evergreens framed the canvas of the sky. The stars were mere pinpricks of light, yet they bathed the world in their glory.”

This is one of my favorite books that I’ve read in a while. Amazing and interesting world building, unique magic, characters that are interesting enough for you to get attached to etc.

Jennesara was honestly a amazing main character. She wasn’t a damsel in distress, she wasn’t full of anger or rage from a troubled past, she was just a bad ass princess
julie
Jan 21, 2020 marked it as arcs-tbr
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Kathryn Thompson
I read an early copy of this book and was completely swept up in the characters and world building. A completely magical read. I can’t wait for KayLynn Flanders’ talent to be released into the world. Amazing debut. Where is book 2?!
Kate (katereads13.blogspot.com)
Huge thanks to Random House Children and NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I know this story is suppose to be in comparison to Sorcery of Thorns and Furyborn but don't think that is an accurate comparison. The story didn't put an emphasis on libraries and there were more characters involved rather than the protagonist heavy Furyborn.

This was such a fun simple story. Jennesara is a princess born with magic she was never suppose to inherit. On the way to her betrothed, her
Amber
I received a complimentary copy of this Ebook ARC from the author, publisher, and netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Jenesara is a Princess who is soon to be 17. When her father the King tells her that she is to be wed to a Prince in another nation, Jenesara is saddened and submits to her father's wishes even though she wishes to help save their kingdom with her magic. It is only when she is attacked by a shadowy figure that her life is in danger. Can she escape those that wish to harm
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
Jan 21, 2020 marked it as tbr-unreleased
Thank you Random House Children’s and Delacorte Press for the ARC.

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | BlogLovin’
shre ♡
Nov 08, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
curse my weakness to beautiful covers, CURSE IT.
♠ TABI ♠
Sep 13, 2019 marked it as to-read
so many good tropes in this blurb also helloooooo cover
Morgan
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
First, I'd like to thank NetGalley, Random House Children's, and Delacorte Press for providing an eARC copy of this book for my honest review.

This book... broke me. Not in a bad way, either. But... I am shattered nonetheless.

First of all, the description of this book does NOT do the story justice. It's so innocuous and vague, and I get that's what the blurb is supposed to be like, but holy heck, this book is just AMAZING. The cover art is also gorgeous, and I think it depicts Jenna very well!
Amanda
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Thank you Netgalley and Random House Children's Press for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.

Summary: The kingdom of Hálendi is in trouble. Jennesara "Jenna" has magic, but has kept it a secret from everyone except her brother. He also has magic, but this is acceptable as he is in line to inherit the throne. Jenna's future is simpler, she is betrothed to a foreign king and must continue to keep her secret. But things are not always what they seem, and as she is on her way to this new land,
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I usually find the world-building chapters of a new fantasy setting quite slow paced and lecture-like. But not this time. KayLynn Flanders' debut novel is a fully developed fantastical world that is unfurled to the reader full of rich descriptions and magical tradition without bogging down the journey that Princess Jennesara must face in order to stay alive and come into her own.

Forced to hide her magic because of royal tradition, Princess Jennesara trains herself in martial skills instead. She
Victoria
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to the publisher for providing me with an early copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review: I really wanted to love Shielded, but I felt only one emotion for the majority of the book: confusion. There is so much world building and the system of magic is so unique, which can be hard to come by when YA fantasy is such a saturated genre, but there was so much about the world and the magic that I didn’t understand which made it difficult to follow the story. I ...more
Jane
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a free DRC from Edelweiss+ I can't even begin to say how great this book is. A strong female character who doesn't need to be saved because she does the saving! I really enjoyed reading this. It seems like there will be at least a second book since the story ends with a few things unfinished. I am not sure I can wait so long to find out what happens.
Meaghan
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ok, I need book 2 now.

Truth be told, I almost DNF this book. It took a while for it to pick up, but once it did I couldn't put it down. I enjoyed all of the characters and cant wait to see more of them. I'm excited to see where else this story is going to go.

Also, that cover is gorgeous!
⋆☆☽ Kriss ☾☆⋆
I got approved for an ARC of this. Ahahahahahah, yes.

Kate (BloggingwithDragons)
I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Shielded is the debut novel of author KayLynn Flanders. It follows warrior Princess Jennesara of Hálendi on her quest to save not just her family, but the world. Informed that she is betrothed in order to save her kingdom from a magic battle on their border, Jennesara is whisked off on her first dangerous adventure outside of the palace walls.
Taschima
Nov 07, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Wait, what is this book about again? I was blindsided by the GORGEOUS cover art.

Another one for the TBR pile :P
The Bookish Ballad
Feb 24, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shielded was a magnificently torturous and wildly thrilling YA fantasy novel written by debut author Kaylynn Flanders that I was so excited to lose myself in while reading! Flanders brings a refreshing new voice to the genre and I'm excited to proclaim that I've added another strong female character to my list of badass heroines. Princess Jennesara is a force to be reckoned with and definitely deserves to be up there with other leading ladies like Yrene Towers, Vhalla Yarl, and Jude Duarte! ...more
Britta
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Up front, I love a good YA/Fantasy romance. Bonus points if it involves some of my all-time favorite tropes: A princess who isn’t a dainty, delicate flower, a roguish love interest, strong familial ties, mistaken identities and elaborate world building.

Shielded hits each of these notes and more, playing within those tropes we’ve come to expect and flipping a few of them on their heads. Our princess is not one for balls and fancy gowns, she’d rather be in the dueling ring with the guards. Not due
Andromeda
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First of all, before I even get into the book itself, the cover is absolutely GORGEOUS. I'm not going to lie, sometimes I judge a book by its cover (but don't we all?). When I saw the cover of Shielded, I was immediately intrigued. The artwork is amazing and depicts the main character, Jenna, really well! Kudos to whoever designed the cover because it is awesome.

If you Google this book, the synopsis that can be found on Goodreads and Google Books does Shielded no justice. From the online
Madison Schaeffer
Feb 10, 2020 rated it liked it
I've read a lot of truly engaging, innovative fantasy in the last year, and A Sorcery of Thorns was one of those books, so I was excited about the comparison. I figured I'd try this one! It sounded fun! I totally appreciate arranged marriage stuff! It could be awesome!

Sigh. It wasn't awesome. This book was just sort of a cliché slog with a baffling magical system (read: not in the good way), cardboard characters, and a singularly boring protagonist.

The book starts when Jenna, cliché super great
Jenna
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Shielded by KayLynn Flanders started off as a slow read for me, but ultimately picked up by the end. The novel follows Princess Jennesara--the secondborn child in the kingdom of Halendi. In Halendi, only the firstborn child is supposed to inherit magic. So as secondborn, Jenna was not supposed to inherit magic, but, alas, she did. Jenna is prepared to enter an arranged marriage to help her family through a war. On her way to her betrothed, Jenna's caravan is attacked, causing the princess to ...more
Just Another Bookish Blog
Today I come to you with a review of an ARC! I am talking about Shielded, by Kaylynn Flanders. Before you continue, click on the link and add this book to your TBR. It's that good. And don't worry, this review will, naturally, be spoiler free!

Note: This book was given to me by Delacorte Press via Netgalley. This does not, in any way, influence my thoughts and opinions.

Shielded is so much more than I was expecting. With every sentence you can feel the world and characters being built, with every
Yels
Feb 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, arc, fantasy, ya
Shielded follows Jennesara, princess and magical heir who is betrothed to a prince she does not know. Jenna agrees to go in order to help her land, her brother, and to hide the magic that she is not supposed to have. While on her way to her new home, her party is ambushed and through a series of events, she escapes. Jenna finally makes it to her new land but everyone is now at war, she has to hide who she is, and the soldier who found her is not who she thinks he is.

The book was fine. I liked a
Kirsten  Dresker (read.breathe.repeat)
Princess Jennesara is resilient, loyal, would do anything for her people, and has a secret that can’t get out. When her father suddenly surprises her with an arranged marriage for a much needed alliance, she does what any princess would do and leaves all she cares for to travel to a new kingdom in hopes of helping her people. The journey isn’t easy, and Jennesara must think quickly to fight off an adversary she knows almost nothing about while avoiding traitors pulling strings around her. Hiding ...more
Michelle Aschenbrenner
ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

Ever since I first saw the cover floating around, I was intrigued. Upon seeing the summary, I was extremely intrigued!

Flanders brings such a magical world and wonderful heroine in her debut novel. The strong world-building and unique magic system proves that Flanders took the time and research to make all of the ideas work together. The magic doesn't feel thrown in there for the sake of there being magic, and
cassberrie
Received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

Shielded by KayLynn Flanders follows the adventure of Jennesara, the secondborn of the kingdom of Halendi, who has trained all her life to be a great warrior to stand alongside her brother, Aletheren, who is slated to become king as he has inherited their family's magic. To aid their kingdom in a time of need, Jennesara is sent to marry the crown prince of the kingdom of Turia, Prince Enzo, but on her way there her party is
Jenna
Feb 10, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

« previous 1 3 next »

• Of Silver and Shadow
  • Woven in Moonlight
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • The Glamourist (Vine Witch, #2)
  • Just My Luck
  • Before I Disappear
  • A Proper Scandal
  • The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein
  • Heist Society (Heist Society, #1)
  • Defy the Sun (The Offering Series, #2)
  • Outrun the Moon
  • Within Ash and Stardust (The Xenith Trilogy, #3)
  • The Last Magician (The Last Magician, #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • The Crow Rider (The Storm Crow, #2)
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • The Thin Woman (Ellie Haskell)

Shielded (2 books)
  • Untitled (Shielded, #2)