Start by marking “The Cloud Maker” as Want to Read:
The Cloud Maker

The Cloud Maker

(Luca Matthews #1)

To Luca Matthews the dangers of the high mountain peaks are the air upon which he thrives. In the ruthless pursuit of his goals he would sacrifice anything - even another climber's life. His friends and family know and fear it. So when he sights a virgin peak in the Himalayas that exists on no map, no one is surprised when he becomes obsessed with being the first to scale ...more
Published August 6th 2009 by Preface Publishing (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Cloud Maker, please sign up.
Asteropê It has two titles - The Forbidden Temple and The Cloud Maker. It's the same book. Different publishers, and possibly different countries of publishing…moreIt has two titles - The Forbidden Temple and The Cloud Maker. It's the same book. Different publishers, and possibly different countries of publishing are the reason. With one publisher it has one title, with another a different one. These things often happen. A book will have one title in the UK and another in the US and Canada.

The books - all editions - are all combined on Goodreads, they're not separated. By the rules for the website, they are to be combined and stay combine. They're editions of the same book.
See: https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...(less)

Annerlee
Two climbers set out to reach a seemingly inaccessible mountain in Tibet.

This is a good old adventure story and has all the essential ingredients: goodies, baddies, secrets ancient and modern, a chase, treasure, friendship, betrayal. The book is mainly set in the Himalayas. This was a fast-paced, easy read that I quite enjoyed.
Babs
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing on my theme of shaking up the genres a bit, I chose this from my shelves. I primarily purchased it from a charity shop to tick off another country on my Around the World in 80 Books (Tibet) but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it.

This is almost like a James Bond book (or maybe Indiana Jones) - with a dashing protagonist, a beautiful lady, and a treasure that needs to be protected at all costs. Set in the Himalayas it involves mountain climbing, an insight into Buddhism and age old m
Ruth
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wavered between a 2 and a 2.5 on this book, settling on a 2 as it was an ok read for me. Interesting enough but it fell somewhere between being the genres of explorer and thriller with it not hitting either mark.

In the story we meet Luca Matthews a climber always looking for the next moutain to climb and the next adrenalin rush. He has a loyal climbing partner in Bill Taylor. They head into Tibet for the one last climb of their lives and are met with resistance from the Chinese and finally lan
Ramesh Menon
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well crafted mountain adventure. Mountain climbing is written so well that you feel you are on the mountains with Luca and Bill the lead characters. The book is mainly set in the Himalayas. This was a fast-paced, easy read that I quite enjoyed.
Mychel
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Fast-paced, chapters are the right length for me. It has the elements of a good adventure novel.
Tiina
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
The blurb of the book made it sound interesting and exciting. It started out engaging enough, if a bit gory. And then it turned boring. Somehow I could not find anything to care about in the story.
Themistokeles
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Der Roman "Der Wolkentempel" beginnt mit einem Angriff auf ein buddhistisches Kloster in mitten eines Gebirges in Tibet. Ein junger Mönch namens Regas wäre den chinesischen Truppen beinahe entkommen, jedoch wurde er doch noch erwischt und musste die Zerstörung des Klosters mit ansehen, was auch das letzte war, was er in seinem Leben sah, da die Chinesen ihn blendeten.

Die weitere Geschichte setzt Jahre später ein und läuft in drei Handlungsträngen. Zum einen handelt er von den zwei britischen Ber
Jeannie Mancini
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Real life mountaineer and extreme adventurer Patrick Woodhead sets his first fictional novel in the enigmatic and lofty mountains of the Tibetan Himalayas. When longtime friends Bill and Luca, who have been scaling mountains together for 7 years, attempt Mt. Makalu, Luca gets a quick glimpse of a strange pyramid shaped mountain hiding behind clouds that has him believing he is hallucinating. Decending quickly due to an episode of altitude illness Bill suddenly incurred, Luca is bewildered as to ...more
yexxo
Tibet, im Jahre 1956: Ein junger Mönch wird Zeuge, wie chinesische Soldaten ein Kloster niederbrennen und die Älteren brutal ermorden. Knapp 50 Jahre später sind zwei junge britische Bergsteiger in Tibet unterwegs um den Makalu zu besteigen, den fünfthöchsten Berg der Erde. Der Aufstieg misslingt, doch Luca, einer der beiden Männer, erblickt für einen kurzen Augenblick eine perfekt proportionierte Pyramide, die kurz darauf wieder hinter Wolken verschwunden ist. Zurück in Großbritannien beginnt e ...more
Wal.li
Feb 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nebel über Tibet
Luca ist ein rechter Haudegen, gerade Bill, der eigentlich sein bester Freund ist und sich von Luca immer wieder zu manchmal fast schon gefährlichen Abenteuern überreden lässt, meint so langsam wird es zu viel. Bergtouren jedenfalls will er nicht mehr mit Luca unternehmen. Mit seinen Eltern versteht sich Luca nicht gerade gut. Besonders sein Vater, der mehr Engagement in der Firma fordert, hat langsam genug davon, das unstete Leben seines Sohnes zu finanzieren.
Alles nutzt nichts
Sharon
Nov 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is an intriguing fictional account of what might have happened to the 11th Panchem Lama, the little boy that the Dalai Lama recognized as the rightful successor to be spiritual leader of Tibet. In 1995, the Chinese had the boy and his family removed from Tibet and they installed their 'own' Panchem Lama. To this day, humanitarian groups have not verified whether the boy is alive or dead. Of course the Himalayas are the backdrop for the two rock climbers who get embroiled with the Chinese Se ...more
Frank Smith
Really tried to get into this book, but just couldn't. When it was dealing with mystery and hidden secrets it was fine, but when it started to get into Eastern mysticism and how we should all look back to the magical past and away from modern day life and it's terrible evils, it's noisy streets and how we can all learn to live pure lives again and.....
You get the idea! I don't mind anything that involves an age old secret, but when it starts putting magic and religious stuff before science and
Sophie
I listened to this on audiobook a few years back when I recorded the books Id read on visual bookshelf which is now extinct I believe.
It is certainly an adventure. Being fiction I didn't know how much would be based on fact and wondered if it was exaggerated back then, but I now sadly know that it is not.
I found it just too harrowing, however much I tried to fast forward over the disturbing parts (raping, killing) and therefore I don't think I finished it but it is a very good book otherwise.
Robyn Gibson
Luca and Bill are mountaineers climbing the Himalayans. Luca sees a perfect pyramid-shaped mountain with other mountains surrounding it but they're not on any of his maps. Bill gets hurt, they go home but decide to have a second go at finding these mountains. There are Chinese, Buddhists, a lovely lady, of course, a little boy who will be the next Dali Lama. Everyone's in the chase to find this little boy.
Nathan
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rounding down from a 2.5. An enjoyable book but I found it a little hard to get into - the second half worked better for me than the first.

Two climbing buddies discover a new mystery mountain. When they return to try to find it and climb it, they get embroiled in Tibetan and Chinese politics. A hidden monastery with a long-held secret provides a source of rescue but also of potential imprisonment.
Iain
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Really enjoyed this. There's plenty of technical stuff about mountaineering and Tibetan culture to make you aware that the author knows what he's talking about without it coming across as showing off, or more of a textbook than a story.

Pace is spot on, relatively short chapters with that "one more before I go to sleep" factor and some good characters.
StainsOfYou
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
No es la clase de libros que acostumbro leer, sin embargo cumplió con el propósito de entretener. ¿Lo recomendaría?, sí, pero no sería mi primera opción. Es una historia que siento pudo haberse explotado más, cuenta con varios cambios de trama bastante buenos y un final no tan predictivo como pareciere.
Alexia Salazar
Even that this wasn't my type of book I really enjoy it, and also I learn more things about the culture and religion that appaer in the book.

I belive that if I was more into this types of books I problably would love it.

I recommend this book to everybody that likes a lot of anventure, friendship and a little bit of mistery and nothing of romance.

Luca and Bill are two british sexy guys.
Christine
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
an exciting tale of derring do, with wonderful descriptions of the Himalayas, and all the inherent dangers of climbing, the Chinese Political system, and trying to live with/without a family.
Great stuff for a crafting day!!
Lynda
Jun 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book takes you up the Himalayas and to a strange shaped mountain.
You now have a quest to follow and this leads to danger and a forbidden Temple.
Very exciting book and well written.
Tibet and it's temples are a mystery to unfold.
Emmareads
My thoughts during this book: I have no idea what's going on.
Really boring.
This is really really good!
Aaaaaand it's boring again.
John Fahy
Ok, well I'm not going to spend too much time reviewing this book so if you're looking for a light escaping read then go for it. The book was easy to read and often flowed in a fast pace. worth a look.
G8reading!
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a different storyline to the norm. Story really drew me in. Loved it.
Jo Richardson
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspence, thriller
Excellent book, which delves into mystery and intrigue
Barb
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story - several compelling plot lines with really good villains and very human heroes. Lots of action and suspense.
Audrey
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant !
Elena
Aug 26, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite 3 stars, more of a 2.5. The book just doesn't hold together well, feels somehow unbalanced. But it's good for entertainment, although it feels slow for what it is trying to be.
E.R. Yatscoff
Not much to say on this. All was good except the lack of a showdown between the climbers and Zhu. Has some thrilling parts and suspense.
Barry Dennis
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First time I have read this author. Enjoyed the book very much. Slightly disappointing ending but overall a recommendation.
D Wedd
Mar 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, it kept you interested. The finish was a little disappointing, there was not really any big mystry, but it was well written.
  • Code 15
  • Without Prejudice
  • Hunter's Moon
  • The Flock
  • The Smoke Room
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
  • Who Dares Wins
  • Absent Friends
  • The Frailty of Flesh
  • An Ordinary Decent Criminal
  • Eight in the Box: A Novel of Suspense
  • The Moon Tunnel (Philip Dryden, #3)
  • Damaged (Kate Lange #1)
  • A Quiet Vendetta
  • The Minutes of the Lazarus Club
  • Cold Midnight
  • Hostile Intent (Devlin, #1)
  • The Skorpion Directive (Agent Micah Dalton, #4)
Patrick Woodhead is an English writer, adventurer and owner of White Desert Ltd, the world's only luxury camp on the Antarctic continent.

Luca Matthews (3 books)
  • The Secret Chamber (Luca Matthews #2)
  • Beneath the Ice (Luca Matthews #3)