Start by marking “Dan Unmasked” as Want to Read:
Dan Unmasked

Dan Unmasked

Whether they’re on the baseball field or in Nate’s basement, devouring the newest issue of their favorite comic book, Dan and Nate are always talking. Until they’re not.

After an accident at baseball practice—an accident that Dan is certain he caused—Nate’s stuck in a coma. Usually, Dan can rely on his and Nate’s superpower—the secret language that only they know, a
Expected publication: July 28th 2020 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Dan Unmasked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dan Unmasked

Start your review of Dan Unmasked
Susan
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 stars. Thank you to the publisher and blue_slip_media for the free review copy of this book to share with Kid Lit Exchange. All opinions are my own.

This is a story about comic books, superheroes, baseball, grief and most of all the power of friendship. Dan, his best friend, Nate and their baseball team are on their way to winning the championship. There are several games yet to go in the tournament, but with the team’s great playing, Nate’s amazing pitching and Nate and Dan’s uncanny
Christina
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes friends finish each other’s sentences, but thirteen-year-old best friends, Dan and Nate, sometimes need no words at all. They’re so in sync on and off the baseball field that a certain look or gesture speak volumes, but when Nate falls into a coma, Dan would do anything to hear his voice again. Chris Negron’s moving debut, DAN UNMASKED (7/28/20), is an exploration of guilt, grief, anxiety, determination, and hope through a devastating accident. Paired with the baseball theme, this ...more
Risa Nyman
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dan Unmasked hits a home run (I couldn’t resist writing that). It is amazing how Chris Negron is able to pull the reader into his story and put us on the edge of our seat at a crucial baseball game or as we travel through a portal in a comic book.

As Dan Summers, the main character, tries to figure out his place with his friends, teammates and as a son, he encounters some difficult challenges that fill him with guilt and despair. He must search for a way to save his best friend Nate, and he
Kim
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dan's friendship with Nate is the powerful, all-consuming bond that many kids experience with a best friend. They are teammates on a baseball team and share a passion for comic books, especially Captain Nexus. Early in the book, Nate suffers a baseball injury and is placed in a coma. Dan grieves for his friend and suffers guilt for his part in the accident that landed Nate in the hospital.
What follows is a beautiful story about friendship, teamwork, and healing wounds through art and creativity.
Kevin Costner
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! The main character was so sweet, and my heart broke watching him deal with the grief of his actions that resulted in his best friend going into a coma. The writing was smooth and kept me turning pages. The relationships he develops with his friends while it was in a coma were very sweet and realistic. I especially loved the ending! Hand this to kids who love baseball, comics, and pizza!
nicole d.
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit
My best friend in college adored Wednesdays. There was always a frenzy about comics, pull boxes, plastic wrap and special editions. These were the lifeblood of a comic book lover, and they’re woven in layered detail in this loving debut by Chris Negron. A story of guilt, grief, and ultimately, love, it’s a wonderful read at the center of comics, baseball and friendship.
Leo Penha
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
This is a sweet story of a boy overcoming adversities when his best friend is taken away from him. It brought a tear to my eye more than a few times. Despite my busy schedule, I couldn't put this book down. It's also packed with comic book references and I geeked out in every one of them. Definitely a must read.
Nicholas Calderon
4.5
Emily Carpenter
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An emotional, heartfelt and utterly original story of friendship and the possibility we all feel as kids and adults when it comes to just how powerful we can be. The baseball scenes shine and the depiction of the sometime confusion and hopefulness of childhood is spot-on. I adored this book. A classic.
M.J. Pullen
Victoria Bunce

• We Could Be Heroes
  • Missing Mike
  • Bird Hugs
  • Don't Check Out This Book!
  • Just Like Rube Goldberg: The Incredible True Story of the Man Behind the Machines
  • The Queen Bee and Me
  • Dream Big, Little Scientists: A Bedtime Book
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search, Part 1 (The Search, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search, Part 2 (The Search, #2)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search, Part 3 (The Search, #3)
  • The Old Truck
  • Monstress, Vol. 2: The Blood
  • Eight Perfect Murders
  • Teen Titans: Raven
  • Pet
  • How to Be a Girl in the World
  • The Boy At the Back of the Class
  • Catherine House
Chris Negron grew up outside Buffalo, New York, where he spent a huge chunk of his childhood collecting comic books and loving sports. But it was the hours of playing Dungeons and Dragons in friends' basements that first gave him the dream of one day writing his own stories. That dream kept him company through college at Yale University and years of programming computers for big companies. DAN ...more