Start by marking “The Barn Quilt: A Christmas Story” as Want to Read:
The Barn Quilt: A Christmas Story

The Barn Quilt: A Christmas Story

Published 2019 by Redemption Press

To ask other readers questions about The Barn Quilt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Barn Quilt

Start your review of The Barn Quilt: A Christmas Story
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: celebrate-lit, review
Imagine my surprise when I briefly researched the history of barn quilts and discovered that they apparently originated in my home state of Ohio! And that they are not an Amish legacy; I had always connected the two in my mind because of the quilting link. I was eager to read this children’s book because I love literature about farm life, and I was anticipating the seasonal setting. Christmas always seems like a good time to enjoy some children’s books, and it’s even merrier when the two come ...more
Maureen Timerman
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
The title of this little book intrigued me, especially since I own a barn, and I am a quilter.
Loved how the neighbor’s boy came up with the idea, but was totally embraced by the farm family.
When sharing this book with my young niece, we were trying to decide which quilt block would be best, and should we put one on our barn. As we read the book and talked about each of the suggested blocks, and liked the final choice, and the bonus one!
A cute and educational book to share with your little ones!
I
Carole Jarvis
Reviewed at The Power of Words: https://bit.ly/2DjvYkR

The Barn Quilt by Patti Michels is a delightful storybook for children and young readers. The story reflects midwestern farm life, friendship, quilt designs, and faith – and is told in a way that will engage children.

The Barn Quilt begins when Dennis, a young boy new to the neighborhood, drops by for a visit with Miz Patti and Farmer Max. He’s noticed that many barns in the area have a quilt block pattern painted on the side and that is
Erin
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: celebrate-lit
My Thoughts on The Barn Quilt:
This is such a sweet poignant story for all ages. Really it’s designed for children but old and young alike will love this title.

I love to quilt and the quilt blocks definitely caught my eye. But I also loved the stories that came along with them and the tie into Christmas and what might the quilt block on that lowly stable where Jesus was born have looked like?

For kids to read this alone I’d say they need to be ready for chapter books as there is quite a bit of
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
This is a cute book that introduces children to farm life as well as the barn quilts. In fact, I can see this as a fun project to do with elementary age children – read the story with them & have them think about (and maybe design on paper with colored paper/crayons, etc.) what sort of quilt square would be on their own house … or the church’s … or their school’s, etc.

The illustrations are absolutely darling and beautifully done. They complement the text well and enhance the story, too, as
Connie Saunders
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed this children's book because I lived on a farm for many years and barn quilts are very popular in our area but I can imagine how interesting The Barn Quilt would be for young people who live in cities or urban areas. It follows Dennis as he visits his neighbors Farmer Max and Miz Patti on their farm and it relates his efforts to help them decide a pattern for their barn quilt. Patti Michel's story is both fun and educational, the illustrations by Nate Myers are colorful and ...more
Nyla
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Barn Quilt, A Christmas Story by author Patti Michels is a lovely children’s book. With twenty-eight pages it is filled with a delightfully engaging story that is complete with beautiful colorful illustrations. Even though it is a children’s book, adults will enjoy it, also.

This is the tale of Dennis, who is new to the area. He visits Miz Patti and Farmer Max and they discuss Quilt Squares that are on barns in the area. They go through the patterns and meanings looking for the right one for
Kathy
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Children will be drawn to this book for any number of the themes within. It may be for the general farm theme, or the animals, or learning about barn quilts, or Christmas. Readers will enjoy descriptions of many different activities that take place on the farm, such as raising animals, raising crops, keeping bees, finding eggs, plus carpentry and design.

Plenty of dialogue keeps the story moving, and I was drawn into the farm atmosphere as I read. I could remember the feeling of time spent on the
Deana Dick
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful book for young children that love stories about animals, farms and family. The book is short, but doesn't lack for beautiful dialogue and gorgeous illustrations. The story centers around a young boy named Dennis. He loves going to his neighbors farm and helping out. I loved how curious he was about all the animals and the chores that were involved in taking care of a farm.

I love quilts and this book has such great descriptions of different designs that are used. Dennis helps
Debbie
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked "The Barn Quilt" by Patti Michels. I think most younger children would like it. I don't agreed with the subtitle, A Christmas Story because even though the story talks about the stable and Jesus being born and what items would be on the quilt for that barn it didn't give me that Christmasy feeling! The end page does say "Merry Christmas" which is a nice ending.

This book is a story that has much information that younger children would like learning. I think this book could be used
Donna C
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
What I think you should know:

The Barn Quilt: A Christmas Story is a Children’s book, with a Christmas Theme, however it could be read at other times of the year and still worked into a unit at other times of the year as it is not strong on its Christmas theme. As a homeschooling family I enjoy books that help me combine several subjects, The Barn Quilt is a perfect book for that. My four and seven year old enjoyed the most. I like the way that the author described the various barn quilts and
Amy
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a quilt lover, I am intrigued with the barn quilts I see around the farming communities in my area. I love seeing the different designs and styles. So, I was excited to have the chance to read The Barn Quilt: A Christmas Story and share with my children. It was fun learning a little bit of history about barn quilts and seeing some new designs we have not seen before. We loved the beautiful illustrations throughout the book. It was fun getting the visual of the words written within the book. I ...more
Connie Carpenter
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was written with younger readers in mind. I would say 1st - 4th grades. Which is perfect since I have a 1st grader and a 3rd grader. It tells the story of farm life, friendship, quilt designs and most importantly faith. I love the way that the story is presented. It kept both my boys attention. Dennis is the main character, and he loves helping the neighbors out. He has to help pick out the barn quilt pattern for the barn on Maple Shade Farm.

The pictures in this book are beautiful,
Jane
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Barn Quilt is a picture storybook. Patti Michels penned the text and Nate Myers created the illustrations. The illustrations are cartoon-like and complement the text but do not extend it. There is a brief mention of barn quilts around the world on the copyright page where it won’t be read by most. A short author’s note or explanation page at the end of the story would probably be more widely read.
The book is subtitled A Christmas Story but I’m not sure I would call it one. While there is
Amy
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was cute and sweet. Miz Patti is trying to decide what type of quilt block to paint for their barn with the help of a neighbor boy. They discuss many different patterns trying to come up with the perfect one. It is very educational and fun to read. Not only is there quilt pattern education but the tools that the farmer uses to make the quilt block are also explained. The illustrations are colorful and heart warming. There are farming details and other interesting aspects for all ages - ...more
Katie
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Barn Quilt was a really cozy kids' Christmas story. The illustrations really conveyed the farm, rural area backdrop and I really enjoyed looking at them along with my child. I felt visually the book was great for kids. I felt the reading level was pretty high for a picture book- more on like the 3rd-4th grade level as it was lengthy passages, too lengthy at times I felt. I do feel like it exposes kids to another world and how quilts are made which seems to be a lost art nowadays. I felt the ...more
Vicky Sluiter
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun story with a wonderful message, this book would be a good gift for the elementary age reader.

In this story we learn about the tradition of barn quilts, as Miz Patti tries to decide on a quilt painting for their barn. Pulling in the story of Jesus’ birth gives this book even more substance.

The illustrations are really cute and will attract the younger children to this story. There are lots of animals on the farm, too, as we see by the pictures. All in all a charming book that I would
Mary
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Children should enjoy this picture book, which includes a Christmas story too. A neighbor boy is enlisted to help decide what type of barn quilt pattern should decorate the barn on Maple Shade Farm. I wish the text had been better edited, but the tale is endearing. Readers learn about various barn quilt patterns and about the true meaning of Christmas. You will want a real book to hold and share with young ones for maximum enjoyment. The detailed illustrations add much to the tale. I think ...more
Patti Whitson Stephenson She Lives to Read
I very much enjoyed this children’s book. I would have loved to have read it to my first and second classes when I was still teaching in elementary school. The illustrations are so sweet, and the author did a perfect job explaining about the “barn quilt” to her young readers. There’s a sense of anticipation that builds as you read the story to see what pattern the family chose for their barn.

This book will appeal to all children in the Kindergarten through second grade age group. I’m a “barn
Janice Sisemore
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
The Barn Quilt

The Barn Quilt is a different type of children’s book. I had never heard of a barn quilt. It sounds like a really fun project.

I loved the story of how they were trying to figure out what kind of barn quilt to make. Dennis kept trying to think of ideas but was hard to figure out the one fitting for their barn.

A book that young and old will enjoy. Especially readers that love farm life and animals.

I received a complimentary copy of the book from the publisher through Celebrate
Emily Yager
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, christmas
The Barn Quilt is a cute little Christmas story for younger children. It is thoughtful and easy to read, which makes it perfect for early readers as well.

The story gives a glimpse into what farm life is like. And a bit of the history and traditions of the barn quilts is explored. I loved how the entire family in the story gets together and really embrace the idea and it brings them all closer. The illustrations were all cute and well done, they compliment the story perfectly.

This is a sweet,
Virginia Winfield
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very cute book for children. This is a good read to or one a slightly older child might like to read to themselves. The story was cute when they are trying to decide what their barn quilt should look like. The illustrations are also very well done. I received a copy of this book from Celebratelit for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will.
Sara Jane Jacobs
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cute story and lots of fun! Dennis, the boy who lives down the road from the farm owned by Miz Patti and Farmer Max, is trying to help Miz Patti come up with an idea for her barn quilt. They have so many ideas before they get to work creating a barn quilt for the barn at Maple Shade Farm. Entertaining and educational! A fun surprise as the final design is revealed!

I was given a copy of this book for free. I was not required to give a favorable review nor was any money received for this
Anne
marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2019

• The Bake Shop (Amish Marketplace #1)
  • 100 Extraordinary Stories of Prayer for Courageous Girls: Unforgettable Tales of Women of Faith
  • Essential Oils: God’s Extravagant Provision for Your Health
  • Glimpses of God a Winter Devotional for Women (Glimpses #1)
  • Before Christmas: The Story of Jesus from the Beginning of Time to the Manger
  • Letter from Paul: To the Church in Galatia and Us!
  • The Choice Is Yours: 52 Choices for Happier Lives
  • Smoke Screen
  • When Only Faith Remains: Finding Yourself in the LIfe of Mary, the Mother of Jesus
  • Lake Season (Bluebell Inn Romance #1)
  • Stitches in Time (The Deacon's Family #2)
  • Jesus in Me: Experiencing the Holy Spirit as a Constant Companion
  • The Painted Castle (Lost Castle #3)
  • Hope's Highest Mountain (Heirs of Montana, #1)
  • Once Upon a Dickens Christmas: 3 Charming Christmas Tales Set in Victorian England
  • Practically Married