Start by marking “Beginnings (Kate Martinelli)” as Want to Read:
Beginnings (Kate Martinelli)

Beginnings

(Kate Martinelli)

INSPECTOR KATE MARTINELLI has worked the SFPDs Homicide Detail for nearly thirty years. She knows all about how a cop builds a case, bit by bit, to create a clear story from the scattered pieces of evidence.
Until the day her fifteen-year-old daughter, Nora, happens to ask about an aunt shed never met. Kates kid sister died in the 1980s, a wild young woman who lost control
Published October 25th 2019 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Beginnings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beginnings

Start your review of Beginnings (Kate Martinelli)
Sophia
Years ago I read my first Kate Martinelli about intrepid and tough San Francisco homicide detective, and then the rest of the series. I thought it was over and was sad. Then, lo and behold, Laurie R. King gave us another story that takes us back to the early years of Kate's life and an old cold case for her to solve that hits close to home.

Beginnings is the sixth installment in the Kate Martinelli series and, in spite of its title, should be read after the rest of the series as it both drops in
Laz the Sailor
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
This author has decided to resurrect this character, and this is good. The plot is a bit constrained by the confines of the back-story, and the mystery is more convoluted than dangerous, but it brings back the main players and reminds us all how we got to this point.

I anticipate that the next story will be fresh and forward-looking. And I will read it.
Kris
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent addition to the Kate Martinelli cannon. Makes me long for another full length novel to sink my teeth into. Spending my Saturday morning with a cup of tea and this novella was like like visiting old friends. I want more!
Barry Bean
Feb 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Not her best effort, but still enjoyable

Kings storytelling abilities and previous familiarity with the characters made this an enjoyable read, but the story itself was a little thin and had a rushed ending. I always enjoy reading along, but this one is for confirmed fans only.
Terisoares55
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enthralling but Triggering

I went through so many emotions reading this story. I recognized the small town Central Valley environment described so eloquently because thats the environment I come from. The Central Valley is so different from the Bay Area. Whenever I had to return there to visit family, the people there did not make me feel welcome. I thoroughly recommend this story. I left for the Bay Area to go to college as Kate did and it saved me.
Feb 13, 2020 rated it liked it
For San Francisco detective Kate Martinelli, the beginning was in high school when her younger sister Patty was killed in a car crash. Now Kates daughter Nora wants to know about her long-lost aunt and the more Kate looks at the records the less she is convinced that her sisters death was an accident. I found Kates reaction to the tree that Pattys car collided with ridiculous and the ending rather pat. ...more
Jan Crossen
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think that Laurie R King is BRILLIANT and I love her Kate Martinelli series! It is wonderful to spend time with Kate again, and to learn about what happened "back in the day." The plot is intriguing, the primary characters are old friends, and the writing is excellent. Bravo! More Martinelli books please!
Catherine Belles
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Laurie Kings Beginning is

Solid characters. Good back story for how the characters developed. Interesting psychopaths 're entrepreneurs personality traits. Everything King writes is at least good and much of it is great.
Karen Parker
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent as always. She and Barbara Hambly are my favorite writers and they never disappoint

Laurie King is an excellent writer. Good plots, well voiced interesting charectors with depth to them and rich well researched backgrounds
Sean Talbot
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A definite read that was worth the time. It was a wonderful story and I really like how the characters interact. The fact that it also uses part of the LGBTQ community.

I was impressed with this author and the style of writing.
Nancy
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Happy/Sad to finish this one!

Maybe now I can go to sleep at a decent hour! What time book giving what I believe is a look into the workings of a good police officer.
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
An excellent read, but too brief and not quite as well rounded as most of her books.
Jennie Morton
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sat down and inhaled in one sitting. Such a great return to this character. But now all I want is a full book! ;)
Melissa
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Jean Utley
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book. It's a look back into Kate Martinelli's past and a thirty year old cold case. I am a big fan of the Kate Martinelli series, so this was satisfying.
Rebecca
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compelling story about how a long ago tragedy morphs into a present-day case for a police detective who pulls on a fragile thread of evidence to uncover the facts of yesteryears crime. ...more
Kent Williams
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good short story. Like the perspective of it being her sister. Happy ending
Anmarie Maier
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
A quick read

Its an interesting story, but has no drama or excitement. Its just Kate dryly talking about investigating a cold case.
Martha
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have missed Kate Marginally so much. To go back to her "origin story" was exactly what I had been missing. Impeccably written - as expected - and poignantly relevant. Brava!
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is SUCH a great book! Kate's daughter asks her about Aunt Patricia, Kate's long-dead sister, and Kate has to decide how much to tell her. Patricia died in a car accident in her teens, and the local gossip said it might be suicide. Kate begins to look into it, so she can reassure her daughter that it was just an accident. But when bits and pieces don't fit the picture that Kate is making in her mind, she decides to look into it further, with the help of her cold-case friend Al. And a lot of ...more
Andra Legge
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The novella is predictable, but a well written and entertaining addition to this beloved character's series. There aren't really any surprises as all of the clues are pretty clearly laid out for you, but the inner dialogs and interactions are interesting and fun.
Alia
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy Laurie R. King's work, and the Kate Martinelli series has been a long-time favorite of mine. That said, this being a novella rather than a full length novel meant that there wasn't the time or length to build up the usual level of suspense, and it was pretty easy to figure out the mystery early on. I still enjoyed the quick read, it just wasn't as satisfying as a full length book.
Merry
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although I was delighted to see Kate Martinelli again, this novella was not so hot. An emotional procedural with absolutely no mystery.
Katherine
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed so much the chance to reconnect with Kate Martinelli and her family. I totally echoed her how can she have a 15 year old daughter but really really liked this bit of back story into her past and thought the way LRK ties it into her present life was genius. More, please. Thirteen years to too long to wait between novels but this novella has certainly helped tide us over til we can add more pieces to the Kate Martinelli picture. ...more
Sue
Nov 16, 2019
Tim Peierls
Nov 19, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Laurie R. King Vi...: Beginnings by Laurie R. King - VBC April 2020 8 12 3 hours, 8 min ago

• No Fixed Line (Kate Shugak #22)
  • The Last Passenger (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #0.3)
  • A Cruel Deception (Bess Crawford, #11)
  • A Divided Loyalty (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #22)
  • Night Work (Kate Martinelli, #4)
  • The King's Justice (Maggie Hope Mystery #9)
  • Blue Christmas (Lord & Lady Hetheridge, #6)
  • A Bitter Feast (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #18)
  • The Art of Detection (Kate Martinelli, #5)
  • Resurgence (Foreigner #20)
  • Trace Elements (Comissario Guido Brunetti #29)
  • Many Rivers to Cross (Inspector Banks, #26)
  • Mycroft and Sherlock: The Empty Birdcage (Mycroft Holmes 3)
  • Lady of Perdition (Benjamin January, #17)
  • Penny for Your Secrets (Verity Kent, #3)
  • The Old Success (Richard Jury, #25)
  • Mydworth Mysteries - London Calling! (A Cosy Historical Mystery Series Book 3)
  • Now You See Them (Stephens & Mephisto Mystery, #5)
Edgar-winning mystery writer Laurie R. King writes series and standalone novels. Her official forum is
THE LRK VIRTUAL BOOK CLUB here on Goodreads--please join us for book-discussing fun.

King's 2018 novel, Island of the Mad, sees Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes travel from London's Bedlam to the glitter of Venice's Lido,where Young Things and the friends of Cole Porter pass Mussolini's

Kate Martinelli (5 books)
  • A Grave Talent  (Kate Martinelli, #1)
  • To Play the Fool (Kate Martinelli, #2)
  • With Child (Kate Martinelli, #3)
  • Night Work (Kate Martinelli, #4)
  • The Art of Detection (Kate Martinelli, #5)