Start by marking “Greta's Story: The Schoolgirl Who Went on Strike to Save the Planet” as Want to Read:
Greta's Story: The Schoolgirl Who Went on Strike to Save the Planet

Greta's Story: The Schoolgirl Who Went on Strike to Save the Planet

The inspiring true story of a Greta Thunberg, a young eco-activist whose persistence sparked a global movement.

You are never too young to make a difference.

Ever since she learned about climate change, Greta Thunberg couldn’t understand why politicians weren’t treating it as an emergency. In August 2018, temperatures in Sweden reached record highs, fires raged across the c
Expected publication: April 6th 2021 by Aladdin (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Greta's Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greta's Story

Start your review of Greta's Story: The Schoolgirl Who Went on Strike to Save the Planet
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
DNF. Yeah, yeah, I get it, someone likes all that. What I don't get is how a massive tantrum (even a group one) is supposed to save the planet?

No one stops to consider that in 2 years she's gonna be a barely literate adult. Think about it.

And then she'll go join the cohorts of stupid-ish politicians, enriching it all with her own lack of relevant education. Do we really need any more of that?
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: black-inc
Greta Thunberg is fifteen years of age, an accomplished speaker addressing Climate Change symposiums, United Nations assemblies and has amassed millions of children, young adults and adults from around the world to reduce our damaging ecological footprints, to demand more from our governments and actively collaborate within our communities for a greener future. An inspiring young woman who is changing our world. This is environmental activist Greta Thunberg and this is her journey.

During an unse
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
RTC closer to release date.
Ietrio
Sep 29, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junk
Hysteria repackaged as normalcy. The sad story of a pawn used by the powerful to grab more power.
Julia Smith
Greta is a vegan, damn it. Not a vegetarian.
Very, very simply written for upper primary and intermediate level, short easy read.
Disappointed in quality and quantity of information but the message is great and I imagine our junior school readers will enjoy it.
Ella
This is a great book which could be used in upper KS2. The book begins by outlining Greta’s life and the journey she took to becoming a climate activist. This should children that there are many people who are very concerned and want to help save the planet. As well as Greta’s story helping to show the importance of looking after the planet, it also raises awareness of Asperger’s syndrome in a positive way. The end of the book contains a glossary, ways in which you can help the environment yours ...more
Akanksha Goel
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
"You are never too small to make a difference."

Overall a short and crisp inspirational read on what a 15 year old can accomplish. It really makes you pause and think, about where you are heading in life and how you too can make an impact.
tenzin
An amazing book to start the Non-fiction November. I bought this copy for my kids. I have so much love and respect for what Greta is doing right now for the environment.
Alice Bennett
This is a great book for teaching children about the climate activist Greta Thunberg and her movement to address climate change. It’s a non-fiction text and unofficial biography that follows Greta’s journey from the beginning. There’s lots of useful facts, a glossary and a timeline for children to look at and use.

I would use the book in an assembly about climate change or modern-day heroes to inspire the children to let their voices be heard about this serious current issue. We would create map
Amy
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of Greta. She is well spoken, and clearly her climate strikes have gotten a lot of people to stand up and speak out against climate change. I wanted to read this book to learn more about her.

The book was ok. It was very simply written (appropriate for elementary and middle school), so easily understood. Some of the writing was a little dry at times, but I really liked hearing about how Greta and her family walked their talk - making many changes in their day to day lives in orde
Lea-Mai Carter
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I recently picked this up when I went to my local bookstore as I enjoy reading short and quick books but also because I am fascinated by Greta's story. I read her book; No one is too small to make a difference' last year and was shocked at how passionate she is. This isn't written by her, but talks about her story and journey for saving the environment. I wish I read this book before the other as I felt I would've had a more clear understanding of what she mentioned.

I am constantly blown away by
Isabel
Aug 19, 2020 rated it liked it
It's nice and all but plainly too simple.

Recommendable for a younger audience but it doesn't delve into the problem. We get to know Greta and her journey, which should not be disregarded but there is no deeper mention of the problem itself. No explanations, which is said and a missed opportunity to educate children on climate change and it's consequences.
Aleea
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very quick read, but an informative and interesting story about Greta and how she's becoming a household name in terms of climate activists. This is great for any kid who's interested in the environment/science/leaders/activism. I think this would be a great read-aloud for 3-5!
Lynn
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Greta Gets a Nice Young Adult Book

This is a great upper elementary school book about Greta Thunberg, the Climate Change activist. It tells the story of her becoming increasingly concerned with climate change and depressed because of adults fail to take measures to prevent it. This book treats Greta, Sweden and their language quite respectively and shows signs in Swedish and used proper terms for parliament and other places. That's pretty unusual in books, especially kids books. This is very resp
It is I
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books, 2019
First of all Greta Thunberg is a vegan not a vegetarian. Also, the author of the book tried to explain who damages our environment. However, sadly not even a single word about agriculture, especially about meat and dairy industries who are the biggest polluters. Meat and dairy companies are the world’s biggest contributors to climate change, outpacing even the fossil fuel industry. So next time the author should do proper research about environmental impact and climate change, before publishing ...more
Ryan Mizzen
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an inspiring individual who we can all learn from and emulate!
evelina
Felt weird to give it a rating so I decided not to. Very simple and easy to understand.
Emma
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Aud
Nov 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Good, simple book for about 3rd-5th graders or thereabouts who would like an introduction to a modern icon (the AR level is 7.3, but those are often bogus, especially with nonfiction, so ignore it. There are place names that the kids need to sound out, and the glossary in the back defines all of the science/climate terms that the kids might need to know - there is no way that the average 7th grader would be anything but bored silly by this book. It's too short and simple for them).

The book disc
GNRLibrary
Nov 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: gnr-collection
Greta Thunberg was a simple Swedish teenager who made international headlines when she started a school strike in the name of environmental awareness and policy change. Part biography, and part call to activism, this short book is inspiring and eye-opening. With sensitivity the author explains how Greta's Asperger's diagnosis was a challenge, but surprisingly it was helpful too. Greta found herself in many adult settings, speaking at international gatherings of powerful men and women, and some o ...more
Danny
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Read this book with my three kids, 15, 13, and 7. It was written accessibly enough that my 7 year old understood it and interestingly enough that my older kids enjoyed the book. The book is mostly about Greta, but certainly provides a very introductory account of climate issues. Interestingly, we read this straight after a book about Rosa Parks, and this book explains that Parks is one of Greta's heroes, and it draws similarities between their approaches to strike for change. My kids found the c ...more
Brian Walker
Stories always lose something in the translation, so I am always wary of picking up a book originally written in another language to read for pleasure. But this one maintained enough originality to keep interest up. I learned a lot about Greta that the news feeds don't always share. I am always fascinated and inspired when I see someone on the autism spectrum using their superpowers (that others may see as a disability) to benefit society! Greta is an amazing young lady.
Heidi Doyle
Jun 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Greta Thunberg, a fifteen year old girl from Sweden, went on strike from school to bring awareness to the climate crisis. This simple biography explains how she began, her struggles in school and with depression, and how she manages to speak in front of thousands of people, despite having extreme anxiety caused by her Asperger’s syndrome. It is an uplifting story about courage and determination that will inspire other kids to speak up and take action about things that they are worried about.
Sonia
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like biographies this is a great book to read because after you read it you are very aware of everything you do that is harming the planet. Like before I eat real meat I think about what I am doing and before I get in a car I think can I walk there easily? They have a translated book in English that is the one that I read.
Julia
This is about Greta Thunberg’s last few years for Middle Grade non-fiction readers, with illustrations. As an adult who follows the news, and Greta Thunberg there wasn't a lot here I didn't know, but I'm not 10 years old. Three stars for me, 4-5 for middle grade readers. Recommended by Kate Reid, Battenkill Books on 1/14/20 on WAMC. Borrowed from my public library.
Reddy Mallender-Katzy
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
A really lovely little book for teenagers / children i think ? i really wish there would be websites of Greta's favorite pages and videos to watch about global warming as recommendations would be fantastic, she started learning about it all when she was eleven years old and became profitient on her own means i think this is terrific and being Aspergic myself she is now my young Hero !"
Candance Doerr-Stevens
Written for younger readers (5-8 grade), this book tells more the story of Greta’s decision to strike, yet very little info on climate change itself is provided. I would have liked to have learned a bit more about Greta, her other interests, her sister, etc. Even though she has proven herself to be a strong speaker and committed activist, she is presented as a very flat character in the book.
Steph
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I actually loved reading more about Greta, and of course about Scandinavia - which is another home to me - and her perseverance to change the world. I love that her family backs her up 100%. Very cool story.
Mary Thomas
Really eye-opening. I didn't know much about Greta's story, and this book really made me think about my own carbon footprint. The book seemed really repetitious, but I still enjoyed it and gained from it.
Abby
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is AMAZING!!!!!!!! Please read this book, I highly recommend it. It tells the story of Greta Thunberg's life and how she spoke out when no one else did. And she is only 16. Her story deserves to be told. This book is very inspirational and totally worth the read.

• Dodo
  • Merikki
  • Pukija (Syrjästäkatsojan tarinoita #8)
  • Taltuta klassikko!
  • Yliaika
  • Kunhan ei nukkuvaa puolikuollutta elämää
  • Toinen elämä : muistiinpanoja
  • Erakot: omintakeisten suomalaisten elämäntarinoita
  • Kesämyrsky
  • Ellen T.
  • Our House Is on Fire: Greta Thunberg's Call to Save the Planet
  • Suomea lohikäärmeille
  • Lukitut
  • Unienpunoja (Väki, #3)
  • Tinasotamiehet (Taikuri ja taskuvaras, #3)
  • Puhu, Nelli, puhu