Start by marking “The Missing Letters of Mrs Bright” as Want to Read:
The Missing Letters of Mrs Bright

The Missing Letters of Mrs Bright

You’ve met Mrs Bright. She’s that nice woman who lives three doors down and always smiles at you in the mornings. She’s planning her thirtieth wedding anniversary with her husband. She wants to travel, read endless books and take beautiful pictures. She’s been waiting for this forever.

For the past twenty-nine years, Kay Bright’s days have had a familiar rhythm: she works
Published January 9th 2020 by Bookouture (first published January 6th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Missing Letters of Mrs Bright, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Missing Letters of Mrs Bright

Start your review of The Missing Letters of Mrs Bright
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: The photo was a little crumpled around the edges, but - please excuse my lack of modesty - there was no denying the quality. It was a tight headshot in black and white of three pretty young women: Rose on the left, smiling and looking sideways at Bear next to her; me on Bear's right, looking simultaneously pleased and harassed. Setting up the camera timer and making sure everyone stayed in the right place was a bit stressful. With film, you couldn't keep trying again and again until you ...more
Berit☀️✨
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a heart warming story about the power of friendship and the mother daughter relationship. Kay is fed up! Now that the nest is empty she has packed up and is leaving her husband Richard who is never wanting to do anything or go anywhere. Everyone is shocked most of all Richard and her children Stella and Edward. Kay’s first destination is Australia where she plans to check in on her longtime penpal friend Bear, Who she unexplainably has not heard from in months. A heartwarming occasional ...more
PattyMacDotComma
“I’d had a safety net my whole life; first with my parents, then for almost thirty years with Richard. Safe, knowable, no surprises. I wanted to try whatever life I had left without that net. Close my eyes and take a leap of faith.”

Kay has had enough. Enough of curtailed or cancelled holidays because she and Richard are always needed at the shop. He’s just opened his fourth one and reckons he’s going to read books. But of course, she is always needed for something, so she’s going to pack her b
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

My rational brain pointed out that this was kind of irrational, and my irrational brain said, ‘Yeah, so?’

It was a folded piece of yellowing paper, and in my childish writing, with hearts dotting the i’s, I had written at the top: ‘Things to do by the time I am thirty.’ This was underlined twice in red biro. The date: 5 June 1982… Teenage Kay must have assumed she’d better get everything done by thirty; for afterwards, there’d be nothing but senility and the grave.

Once again, I’d
Jayme
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book synopsis: “You’ve met Mrs. Bright. She’s that nice woman who lives three doors down and always smiles at you in the mornings. She’s planning her thirtieth wedding anniversary with her husband. She wants to travel, read endless books and take beautiful pictures. She’s been waiting for this forever.”

At least, that is what you thought she was doing.

In reality, Kay Bright has been going through the motions of being a happy wife and mother, while wondering what her life might’ve been like if she
Carolyn
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fifty one year old Kay Bright who has spent the last twenty nine years married to her husband Richard, raising their two children and working in his stationery store, wakes up one morning and decides she has had enough of living with a man who never wants to do anything interesting. She decides to leave Richard and do some of the things she has always wanted to do, such as visiting her dear friend Bear in Australia. Since Bear's family emigrated to Australia when she and Kay were teenagers, they ...more
Louise Wilson
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Kay Bright is married with two grown up children. She has worked in her husbands chain of stationary shops, paid her bills on time and writes to her best friend in Australia. She leads a quiet life. But then she shocks her husband when she tells him she's leaving him. The letters from her best friend have stopped so she decides Australia is where she will visit first.

Kay has been married for twenty nine years and shes fed up with the same mundane routine day in, day out. The story is full of hum
Pauline
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Kay has been writing to her friend Bear is Australia for more than thirty years. When the letters from Bear stop she decides to go there to find out why. She also decides that now the children have grown up its time to leave her husband and start out on her own.
A story of family, friendship and new beginnings.
This is the first book by this author that I have read and I will be looking out for more of her work.
Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Marianne
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Life is a strange and complicated journey that does not follow a straight path.”

The Missing Letters of Mrs Bright is the fourth novel by British author, Beth Miller. When fifty-one-year-old Kayla Bright tells her husband of twenty-nine years that she is leaving him, Richard is bewildered. Their adult children, Edward and Stella, and Richard’s mother, Alice are similarly puzzled. But after a few days retreat in Wales, Kay is off to Australia, saying only that she no longer loves Richard and hasn
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This is a story that alternates between Kay and her daughter Stella as well as letters written from Kay to her best friend in Australia. Through Kay’s chapters as well as the letters, we get to know her better as an adult as well as her younger life.

I wasn’t sure if Kay was a little bit crazy to start with. Upping and walking out of a relationship of twenty nine years. In a way I admired her but on the other hand I thought she was mad to walk out without trying to at least talk things through. I
Renita D'Silva
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful! A wonderful, heartwarming, life affirming tale from this fantastic author. This story was not only entertaining and addictive but it also made me think, to realise that life doesn't stop for you. It served as reminder to live life to the fullest. Every one should be reading this book and this author. Outstanding. Five stars do not do this book justice. Read this beautiful book and get 2020 off to a brilliant start! Thank you Beth Miller for this exquisite treasure of a book ...more
DeAnn
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
3.75 friendship stars, rounded up to 4

What happens when your childhood friend (who moved to Australia) stops writing monthly letters to you? Kay and Bear have been friends for ages, but now Bear isn’t writing back. What I didn’t expect is that Kay would walk out on her 29-year marriage, her job, and head to Australia at long last.

There’s quite a bit of drama around how Kay could just leave her marriage, all those around her expect the usual suspects – infidelity or escaping a violent situation.
Adrian Dooley
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow, well that was a hugely enjoyable read. A bit off piste for me. Having spent the last three years or so reading almost exclusively thrillers and horror stories, this was a real departure and, as a middle aged man a bit of risk as it’s described as “women’s fiction”.

Kay has been married for 29 years. In her early 50s with two grown up children she has been unhappy for a long time.
When her best friend Bear moved to Australia 30 years ago they wrote to each other religiously. One month Bear t
Louise Beech
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beth Miller writes in a way where I feel I can actually hear her reading the words to me. It's so involved and personal and real. This is a gorgeous tale of a middle-aged woman - Kay Bright - who finally, well... finds herself. By addressing her past, and taking hold of the now, she plans for a new future. This is touching, deftly written and full of warmth. I loved it. ...more
Charlotte Burt
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This has been my first five star read for about six months. I loved this dual pov story about a woman in her 50's making a break for freedom and the effect this has on her family. Empowering and she knows how to evoke emotions like a master. I had tears in my eyes for the last 10%. ...more
Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: December 4th 2019

"I wanted to try whatever life I had left without that net. Close my eyes and take a leap of faith."

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by Netgalley and Bookouture in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view spoiler)
Bridget
If your favoured reading material is a compelling tale with a good sprinkling of relationships, imperfection, hope, secrets and friendships then The Missing Letters of Mrs Bright by Beth Miller is a must-read for you! This book is substantially about family, love, mother-daughter relationships, women's friendships and starting-over, and the synopsis also implies a soupçon of mystery, which was exactly the reading experience I had.

Beth Miller has an admirable writing style: it is seamless, flows
Nessa
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I listened to this on audio book.

Well this has been a truly lovely story from start to finish, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I found myself lost within the story pretty much straight away.   The characters were very well written and truly felt real.

As for the story itself, again it was well written and flowed perfectly from one chapter to the next.  There was plenty of emotions to be felt from joyous moments, tense moments, funny moments, emotional and sad moments.

My favourit
Shalini
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ah, this book was a journey. It told me the story of Mrs Bright and daughter Stella along with the letters to and from her best friend Ursula (Bear), who had migrated to Australia.

One day, after 29 years of marriage when letters from Bear stopped coming since the past 6 months, Kay decided to walk out of her marriage. She went to Sydney to meet Bear, then to Venice then came back home with new realizations.

My first book by author Beth Miller, the story told me their lives in the present and pa
Robin Loves Reading
The letters from her best friend Ursula arrived like clockwork. Actually, Kay Bright's life was the same - day in, day out. All of a sudden, the letters have stopped. This is exactly the catalyst Kay needed to take a hold of her life. She informs her husband Richard that she is leaving, and she does just that. Her husband is shocked and panics.

Simply put, Kay does not care. Her husband stopped paying attention and she has stopped caring. She takes a very long flight and is now in Australia, hav
Sherri Thacker
Thanks to the publisher for an early release of this book for my honest review. I really enjoyed this book and loved the friendships in it. My first book by this author and looking forward to many more.
Jodi
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
The phrase that keeps coming into my mind about The Missing Letters of Mrs Bright is "a charming little book". That's exactly what it is. Things come together, families experience joys and dramas, secrets are revealed. It deals with some weighty personal issues, but is overall a light novel. Sometimes light is good.

The novel starts as Kay Bright, a British woman in her early fifties, suddenly packs up a backpack, puts her wedding ring on the table, and tells her husband she's leaving for good as
Tammy
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. It was more of listening to an old friend than listening to a story. I think because of my age, this could have easily been someone in my life. I found my self totally understanding her reasons for her life decisions and all the reactions to them.

I found it to be a good paced, very satisfying read.
Lisa Aiello
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: womens-fiction
4.5 stars - I love stories like this. Stories simply about life. Sometimes beautiful, oftentimes painful and complicated. Good choices, bad choices, no choices. Love, friendship, hurt, joy, regrets, missed opportunities, introspection, self-discovery. These are the things I can easily insert myself into and let the writing surround me. I am always entertained, but so many times I learn something I can take out into the world with me.
Lee Husemann
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a slow starter for me but then all of a sudden it was really good and I enjoyed it. Kay decides to leave her husband, Richard, after almost 30 years of marriage and two grown children. Kay has a good friend, Bear (Ursula) who she has exchanged letters with for years up until about six months ago. The story is told from different POVs to go along with the different story lines within this book. This is a very poignant story of love, loss and hope. Thank you NetGally and Bookouture f ...more
Audrey
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When fifty-something Kay Bright announces she won't be celebrating her thirtieth wedding anniversary, it's not only husband Richard left reeling. The repercussions of her decision reverberate through her family, leading to shocking revelations and life-changing events.
Oh, what an absolute gem of a book. Right from the start, I was rooting for Kay, yet found much sympathy for her struggling daughter, Stella, difficult mother-in-law, Alice (OK, I secretly adored her) and even the rather dull but
Jelena Jonis
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved this book for its unpredictability and a different perspective. Even if you are not a 50 years old woman married for 29 years you can still relate to many issues raised here. It is not a love story but it has a happy ending. A hopeful ending, to be more precise, which is so much better and real.

Thanks to Netgalley for the digital copy I received in exchange for an honest review. This book will be released on Jan. 9, 2020
Bob
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
To be honest, this got off to a reasonable start, even if the main character appears to be a selfish, spoilt woman. I get that emotion can suddenly make people react in an unusual or out-of-character manner and that would explain her just walking away without giving herself time to question her actions. The problem was, she spent the rest of the book justifying them. It's not cool to judge a book by the main character's actions as it's fiction, obviously, but if you're going to have someone beha ...more
Sheri
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: british-novels
What a beautifully told story. I have to admit that there were many parts while I was reading that I was teary-eyed. At times it was funny, unforgettable, lifted you up and so warm. A book to truly fall in love with! I couldn't seem to read this book fast enough. I stayed up way, way too late to finish it. There were parts that actually had me laughing out loud. I haven't read such a warm your heart type of book in a very very long time. I totally recommend it.

I would like to thank the Author/P
Laura Peterson
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was wonderful from start to finish! The writing was well done and the story was very enjoyable.
I liked how the book followed both Kay and her daughter Stella, while each of them were going through an important part of their lives. The relationships in this book felt real and relatable. The book started with Mrs. Bright (Kay) making the decision to leave her husband, the rest of the book is what follows. It had heart wrenching moments as well as times that made me so happy for the grow
Goodreads Librari...: Please swap incorrect book for correct one! 3 16 Nov 07, 2019 06:36AM

• Everything You Are
  • An Equal Justice (David Adams, #1)
  • The Wife and the Widow
  • The Art of Watercolor Lettering: A Beginner's Step-by-Step Guide to Painting Modern Calligraphy and Lettered Art
  • Run Me to Earth
  • Mr. Nobody
  • If You Tell: A True Story of Murder, Family Secrets, and the Unbreakable Bond of Sisterhood
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • The Daughter In Law
  • Finding Henry Applebee
  • Holding On To Nothing
  • I'll Be Home for Christmas
  • Black Rock Bay
  • The Memories We Hide
  • First Blood (DI Kim Stone, #0.5)
  • Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health
  • Saving Noah
  • The Wife Stalker
See top shelves…

News & Interviews

Jordan Morris is a comedy writer and podcaster whose credits include @Midnight, Unikitty! and Earth to Ned.  The sci-fi comedy Bubble is his...