Start by marking “Not-Quite-Supermodel” as Want to Read:
Not-Quite-Supermodel

Not-Quite-Supermodel

Not-Quite-Supermodel follows Alex Emmerson’s quest for stardom. Alex is painfully awkward, exquisitely unfashionable, and she’s never fit in anywhere. When a smooth-talking model scout discovers her slicing fish at a Canadian Safeway, she offers Alex the chance at a career she never knew she wanted.
Armed with a suitcase full of neuroses, Alex sets off to reinvent herself
Kindle Edition, First, 386 pages
Published November 5th 2019 by SWP

To ask other readers questions about Not-Quite-Supermodel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not-Quite-Supermodel

Start your review of Not-Quite-Supermodel
Chava
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: floof, booksirens
Kathy Tong's debut, Not-Quite Supermodel, follows the story of the awkward Alex Emmerson's ascent from a job slicing fish at a Safeway grocery store to a model in New York City's high stakes fashion scene. On the premise alone, I was hoping this to be a bit like The Devil Wears Prada. It mostly delivered.

This is an extremely quick and easy read. Despite being 386 pages long, the majority of the content of the book is short dialogue and two-sentence long paragraphs. This translates as being a lot
Kristi
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Alex is just an ordinary girl with some quirkish behaviors. She goes to NYC to become a model and one embarrassing thing after another happens to her and she starts to believe that maybe modeling isn't the thing for her. This story was so fun and entertaining to read!

It was so easy to like Alex, the main character of this book. She's your typical everyday gal. She has flaws, quirks, and isn't a model. That doesn't stop her from trying to start a career in a new country and NYC of all places!!!
Jade aka MrsTosh
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I received a free copy of this book from BookSirens in exchange for an honest review.

On seeing the cover and reading the book synopsis I thought it would be right up my street. I did find the book very funny and the main character Alex is very funny. She is picked up gutting fish in a supermarket by a Model agent talent scout and flown out to New York to start what she hopes will be a budding career. Being too fat, not quite tall enough, hair that is more fluffy than straight it isn't going to
Marti
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Thanks to Voracious Readers Only and the author for an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

I started out really liking this book. I enjoyed the quirkiness of the heroine and her adventures being new to NYC and the modeling world. That part of the book really worked for me. However, buy the end of the book I was just kind of over it. I was tired of her plumbing phobia, I felt no connection to Dante and the pace just really slowed down.

So, overall, the book was uneven for
Liz
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Complimentary copy of this book was received through Voracious Readers Only

I quite enjoyed this easy to read romp set in New York. Not quite sure what Alex's motivation was but she hits New York in order to work as a model but her innate awkwardness and crippling anxiety and phobias make it an amusing tale.
Desca
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
description

Meet Alex Emmerson, a cute lady from nowhere with her perky 34As whose job was slicing fish at Safeway grocery and now is leaving to New York to become a supermodel. Alex was found by a modelling agency and she was so unsure at first. She also was not ready with NY crowd and of course- the cruel world of fashion. She will remind one a little bit of Anne Hathaway in the Devil Wears Prada thing in different contexts.

This Kathy Tong's debut to me is an easy read. The dialogue is witty and short
Stephanie
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a complimentary copy of this book from For Voracious Readers Only in exchange for an honest review.

Not-Quite-Supermodel is perfect beach-reading chick lit. I was engaged with the story from the beginning, when I met Alex working at the Safeway and dreaming of bigger things. She was a realistic character in the following ways:
-Her Awkwardness. Alex is never glamorous and there are various parts of the book that highlight this in comical ways.
-Her Realness. Alex was like the girl next
Jodie
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily. A good YA book as it explores a young woman going to NYC to try to be a supermodel. She did the most embarrassing things that was captured on social media. Which would be humiliating to anyone, but she soon realizes with help of friends people are going to laugh at you and tear you down no matter what you do or don’t. We all need to own our stuff and be thankful for ourselves even if it means you aren’t ...more
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Meet Alex, girl wonder from Canada, found by a modeling agency while working behind the fish counter at Safeway. In no time she is headed to NYC to begin her modeling career. Alex was not prepared for the world she was stepping into, and who knows if NY was ready for the likes of Alex, but there is no stopping this whirling dervish - except the bathroom at the apartment she is staying at, the supermarket down the street where things are stocked in no discernibly clear way, and the business of ...more
Marjorie
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Whilst there is a lot to love about this book there is also a lot to, if not actively hate then certainly to, dislike intensely.

Firstly there is the severe lack of proofreading; there are double words, words missed out entirely and some very peculiar sentence constructions. This does become an issue as they are peppered liberally throughout the novel and start to take on a life of their own and therefore overpower the story.

Then you have the storyline repetitions to hammer a point home. I can
Ope' Aweda
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
I received an advance review copy for free from a BooKSirens and I’m leaving this review voluntarily

This was a feel good novel. I loved how quirky and relatable Alex was. Loved the friendship she had with all her friends...

If you’re looking for a book that doesn’t require too much and willing to to look pass some draggy bits then you’ll like this book
Rachel
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this book. The character was quite refreshing and seemed very relatable with all her quirks. The friends seemed like a real hoot. This book is definitely worth reading.
Rachel Perkins
Feb 04, 2020

• Holly Banks Full of Angst
  • The Shape of Night
  • The God Game
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Tanked
  • The Stories You Tell (Roxane Weary, #3)
  • The Other Mrs. Miller
  • Nothing to See Here
  • Welcome to New York
  • The First Mistake
  • Imaginary Friend
  • This Scheming World
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • 30-Second Literature: The 50 most important forms, genres and styles, each explained in half a minute
  • Malo and the Merry-Go-Round