Start by marking “Servant, Mercenary, Brother: A Collection of Dresden Jakobs Vignettes Vol. I” as Want to Read:
Servant, Mercenary, Brother: A Collection of Dresden Jakobs Vignettes Vol. I

Servant, Mercenary, Brother: A Collection of Dresden Jakobs Vignettes Vol. I

When Dresden Jakobs' parents moved to Monparth, they wanted a better life for their children. Indenturing their young son for ten years to some nobleman so they could pay their debts wasn't the plan. But Regulus Hargreaves isn't at all what Dresden expected. Is it possible for a master and servant to be friends? This prequel novella to Prince of Shadow and Ash (coming earl ...more
Published October 25th 2019 by Wyvern Wing Press

To ask other readers questions about Servant, Mercenary, Brother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Servant, Mercenary, Brother

Start your review of Servant, Mercenary, Brother: A Collection of Dresden Jakobs Vignettes Vol. I
Selina R Gonzalez
Oct 26, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Eeehhhhh look! I have a book I wrote listed on Goodreads! :D
Nathaniel
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story. I read it to decide whether or not I wanted to pick up her novel and now I'm excited to see what comes of her writing. This was told in such a fun way and the characters were amazing. It was limited as a short collection of stories but I think this world has a lot of potential! ...more
Jenni Sauer
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some random things:

-Regulus is an earnest idiot and I love him with all of my heart (seriously, just marry me now)
-Dresden is so crushable, I can't
-I legit laughed out loud so many times while reading
-But I also cried real tears
-And I almost threw the book across the room, I was feeling so much (I've only thrown one book across the room before and that was Romeo and Juliet, so yeah, this book is up there with Shakespeare for me and I freaking love Shakespeare)
-When I say I felt things, I mean I
Abby
What an utterly perfect little book oh my word
Stephanie - Books Less Travelled
T.E. Elliott
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Impressive

I'm impressed by the amount of character development in such a short time. I love Regulus especially and look forward to reading more about him. The only thing that brought this down a star is that since there's not a clear plot to the vignettes, I stalled halfway through and struggled to finish reading this. I did really enjoy the characters and writing though!
Joyce Flanagan
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this group of short stories about Dresden and Regulus, can’t wait to read more about them in the upcoming duology! 💕
Verity Buchanan
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dresden is awesome.
Teresa
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An encouraging tale of true friendship and loyalty.
Cath (Cather.reads)
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
If I did half stars this would be more of a 3.5, I just decided to round it up cause I want to be nice. I’m just a bit of a picky reader.
I liked Dresden as a character, although I wish that he made more effort to find his family. They just kinda dropped through the cracks and despite the first story he really didn’t seem to care about them that much. That bothered me a lot and I can’t write a review without mentioning it.
Regulus reads too much like he’s supposed to be the love interest (he’s “h
Hazel West
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ahh! I loved this collection of shorts a lot! Dresden and Regulus are absolutely awesome and I loved all the brother/friendship feels in this. Just the kind of thing I love to read. I cannot wait for Prince of Shadow and Ash to come out next month so we can finally see what happens next!
Alexis
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Having been an alpha reader for The Mercenary and the Mage duology, I was so excited to devour this collection of vignettes that prequel the main story. Dresden provides great perspective, and the storytelling nicely navigates that balance between staying true to an individual POV and blending well with the tone and interests of the later story.

Each short story was a joy in itself, easily digestible, and liable to make you smile without being “too good to be true.”

Plus, many of the side charac
Miss Clark
I was immediately drawn into the world of young Dresden Jakobs as he becomes indentured to the illegitimate son of a noble, Regulus Hargraves. This prequel collection of vignettes chronicles the often fraught and complicated relationship between the two boys: master and servant, noble and peasant. How can friendship exist amidst such inequality? What could possibly break down those barriers?

The story illustrates in admirable brevity how that happens and I am looking forward to seeing what happen
Parker Keys_to_hades
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ahhhhh can I have more please?? Like now? Do I have to wait until May?! 😭
*sigh*
I loved this so much, and the end filled me with so many giddy feelings because it was reminiscent of Arthurian legend. Dresden and Regulus are probably my new favourite platonic relationship.
For anyone wondering about content...
There are a few uses of hell and damn. Quite a few uses of bastard, but in the actual sense of the word. There’s a part where a girls ask guys to take their shirts off, and some talk of kissin
Maegan
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Overall I really enjoyed this small collection of stories as an introduction to these characters. I really like Regulus's sense of honor and his good friendship with the Dresden. Although sometimes I think Regulus takes too much punishment for Dresden.
The big thing that bugged me is after Dresden left his family there was no talk about them even though it seemed like he would miss them a lot. I hope they are brought up in the book series.
Sydney Hawthorn
Sep 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really loved this intro story to Prince of Shadow and Ash!! I wanted to read this first so I knew the backstory before I got into the main novel, and I absolutely was not disappointed! If you’re looking for a bit of action with the bonds of a strong friendship that bloom in the absolute best ways, look no further!! :)
Winter
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow

An awesome entrance into this world and it's characters. (I love that it's from someone else's POV - just adds to the realness🤩.) Prince of Shadow and Ash will certainly be one of my first reads for 2021!
Britt
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

This was an awesome collection of stories that make me eager to read the book these characters will shine in. I’ve loved seeing the bits and pieces of these characters show up via Instagram posts and I can’t wait to read the book!
R.J. Rodda
Jan 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this.
Charlotte Weme
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED IT! The writing, the feelings, the characters and the descriptions of everything! Definitely picking up her novel when it releases ❤️
Savanna Roberts
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun little book, and I adore Dresden and Regulus! Can’t wait to read Selina’s other books ☺️
Vanna Grace
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Lovely Introduction

I actually read the main book first and I think it makes these vignettes even better. It was fun to get a deeper look at Dresden and Regulus’s past and how they came to be in their...unique situation, haha. Can’t wait for the next volume!

Also Percy is my fav after Regulus and Dresden. Partially because of the name and partially because of the general irreverence.
Tara Sydney
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I found this novella from following the author's bookstagram account, and I'm so glad to have found it. This was impressively put together and so entertaining even for how short it is. I'm excited to read her full novel coming out soon and following these characters' continued story. ...more
Daric And
added it
Feb 28, 2020
Brianna
Mar 02, 2020

• Oath of the Outcast (The Dragon Keep Chronicles, #1)
  • Rook Di Goo
  • The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1)
  • Wait Until Tomorrow (an Evraft Novella)
  • Fairest Son
  • Seventh City
  • The Wizards of Once (The Wizards of Once, #1)
  • Emma's Ghost
  • Bone, Vol. 6: Old Man's Cave (Bone, #6)
  • Bone, Vol. 7: Ghost Circles (Bone, #7)
  • Blood of the Seer (The Dragon Keep Chronicles, #2)
  • Sisters (Smile, #2)
  • The Shack
  • Becoming Mrs. Lewis
  • When You Found Me: The Princes of Allura Novella Collection
  • The Gilded Ones (The Gilded Ones, #1)
  • The Story Peddler (The Weaver Trilogy, #1)
  • Reverie
Selina R. Gonzalez is a Colorado native with mountains in her blood and dreams that top 14,000 feet. She loves chocolate, fantasy, costumes, bread, history, superheroes, faux leather, things that sparkle, medieval Britain, snark, dogs, and Jesus—not in that order.

She loves to travel, and has driven coast-to-coast in the US, visited Britain three times (once for a semester at Oxford), and moved to