Start by marking “The Carnelian Fox (Maiyamon, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Carnelian Fox (Maiyamon, #1)

The Carnelian Fox

(Maiyamon #1)

Monsters don’t exist. At least, they didn’t until we created them.

Maiyamon was once merely a game. Now it's a global reality. After dozens of hit monster collecting games raked in billions of credits per year, it was inevitable someone would create real ones. Unfortunately, it wasn’t so obvious how many people would dump them in the wild…

Sam Wentworth grew up with nothing.
Published November 9th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Carnelian Fox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Carnelian Fox

Start your review of The Carnelian Fox (Maiyamon, #1)
Lola
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy from the author and voluntarily reviewed it.

When I first heard of this book I knew I had to read it. It was clearly going for the Pokémon vibe, but then a different world and in book format, it just sounded so much fun. And it totally was. Reading this book felt both nostalgic, making me remember all those hours watching tv and playing the Pokémon games, but at the same time the author managed to make the world of Maiyamon feel fresh. Yes it was clearly inspired by Pokémon
Emma
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Monsters don't exist. at least, they didn't until we created them. Maiyamon was once merely a game. Now it's a global reality. After dozens of hit monster collecting games raked in billions of credits per year, it was inevitable someone would create real ones. Unfortunately, it wasn't so obvious how many people would dump them in the wild...
Sam Wentworth grew up with nothing. She's worked tirelessly just to get through college and earn her first monster. Bankrupt and exhausted, she sets her
Simi Sunny
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I recieved an ARC of Kay's book, and it was a pleasure to read it. This really reminds me so much of Pokemon, excelt it's quite different. I like where she was going with the concept and made it adult like. There was blood and violence, which I should warn if anyone doesn't like it.

It starts with the creator introducing the world of Maiyamon in the prologue, and then it shift to the main character name Sam, a young woman who wants to become a Prime (or in this case, like a master). Of course,
Joshua Stevens
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best pokemon/battle type litrpg yet

Good book and well written. Great worldbuilding. Definitely its own style of writing and fairly action packed. I’m quite interested to see where it goes.

Spoiler incoming: goes super fast at the end and I’m not sure why. It could have stayed in the previous mode for a while and still been fun. It didn’t need to go to that scale, IMO. But hopefully the next book slows it down a bit.

Absolutely worth a read and a pretty fun book.
NanaShauna Joesten
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow a fantastic action packed read that pulls you in from the first page. If your looking for an epic adventureous read this is definitely that. Sam is in for quite the adventure. Can she accomplish what she needs to. This is a real page turner. The Author has done a fantastic job at bringing this read to fruition. The world building and bringing out the characters are fantastic. There is twists and turns, and definitely a must read.
Shauna Joesten
Claire Swain
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have just finished reading a fantastic book called 'The Carnelian Fox' by Kay Macleod. Kay kindly gave me the opportunity to be a ARC reader for this story and I am very pleased she did. Fantasy has never been my favourite genre, however Kay has now started to change my mind with her outstanding story.
Sam lives in a world where monsters/gems are now a reality. Originally formed purley for gaming purposes; monster/gems have now developed a conscious and have become of daily society. There are
Shivani McFarland
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This genre is new to me so it took me awhile to understand the first few pages. After that I caught on and really the got hooked into this book. I love the game idea of collecting Gems (genetically engineered monster) and what little I know of Pokemon Go this book really connected to that spirit of the game. What a great story, I had so much fun reading it and enjoying how the writer got into the creation of each Gem animal or plant or insect they represent and their abilities. The world ...more
Reena
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you ever were (or still are) a fan of Pokemon, you'll definitely love this book! The "Carnelian Fox", though, is quite darker and much more realistic. Sam, the MC, comes from a low economic background, while her best friend is upper-class. Being a Prime is a prestigious, government sanctioned profession, and for Sam is her way to a better life. Starting her journey to earn her licence, she never thought that she'd get embroiled in dangerous situations. Still, nothing goes as planned. What at ...more
Carrie-Anne
Shelves: fantasy, series
If you love anything Pokemon or Digimon or monster catchy you'll love this!

In The Carnelian Fox, monster catching games have been brought to life. Mayamon monsters are all over the world, but like most fads, after the fun, new feeling wears off people lose interest. Cue monsters being left in the wild, procreating and thriving.

Our main character Sam and her best friend Callum want to be Prime champions (y'know, battling other people and winning fame and glory and all the other good stuff) but
Emma
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite simply the best independently published book I’ve read. Full of well fleshed out characters, excellent plot, and a great central premise. I really hope there’s another book (glimmer of hope in the acknowledgments ). Absolutely stunning writing and I could hug the author for bringing me so much joy. ...more
Wanda Jewell
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK! This book's story line has all kinds of twists and turns. The characters are warm and interesting. I didn't see any typos. I can't wait to read another story by this author. READ THIS! You won't be sorry.

Amanda
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading 'The Carnelian Fox' by Kay MacLeod. As an avid fantasy reader and writer, as well as gamer (I've specifically been a follower of the Pokemon gaming franchise since I was a child), I can honestly say that I loved this book and am hoping to see the storyline continued in future installments.
Jeanne Richardson
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the 2nd book I've read written by Kay MacLeod; she has done a great job at writing a good book; I can’t wait to read more of her books.

I loved the chemistry between the characters.

Brandon
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Need more!

Couldn't give it 5 stars as it was edited down like a movie jump here jump there missing a little of the story and I know for most it's probably right but I want the walking here and there characters talk and connect on those moments. But I want more real life gritty Pokemon not 10 year olds this is a fantastic story and concept give me more!
Alexa Whitewolf
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You don’t have to be a gamer to love this book. I’m not, and I still fell for it!! Now, if you happen to be a Pokémon, Digimon, whatever kinda game that involves monsters and catching them and epic adventures and making friends and enemies and growing up.... Well you’re DEFINITELY going to love this! Written in beautiful descriptive language that leaps off the pages, The Carnelian Fox is an epic introduction to what promises to be a wonderful series!
Nigama
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Monsters do exists.... Just are called Humans!!

I received an ARC copy of this book.. wonderfully worded and beautifully created plot... the monsters with special abilities protecting and caring for human.. The MC Sam is one of those who wants to be a prime for fame and fortune.. but got caught with Series of misfortunes.... unfortunately she understand the meaning of real monsters.. Have to read it to know more about the world of Maiyamon, Sam and Finn.. Happy Reading!!
Cecily Wolfe
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love everything MacLeod writes, and this new gem is no exception. While this is an adult title, older teens would love it, too, especially if they like Pokemon or Digimon, or play any kind of fantasy games. There's plenty of suspense and unexpected events that kept me turning the pages, and it was so easy for me to immediately develop an interest in Sam. With a strong, believable main character and an unforgettable storyline, this is a great start to a new series, and as a youth services ...more
Molly Lavenza
Dec 05, 2019
Richard S. Cloud
Geoffrey R.
Nov 12, 2019
Derek Siddoway
rated it did not like it
Nov 11, 2019
Josh
Evelynn
Ben
Nov 11, 2019

• Azyl Academy (Elemental Gatherers, #1)
  • CivCEO: A 4x Lit Series (The Accidental Champion Book 1)
  • Light Online Book One: Farmer
  • Hollow Core (School of Swords and Serpents Book 1)
  • Dungeon Maker
  • Chaos Rising (Elemental Gatherers, #2)
  • Tree Dungeon (Divine Seed, #1)
  • Dungeon Core Academy: Book 1 (A Dungeon Crafting series)
  • Second Story Man (The Bad Guys, #2)
  • God of Gnomes (God Core, #1)
  • Opposition (Limitless Lands, #4)
  • Shadow Sun Rebellion (Shadow Sun, #3)
  • Scamps & Scoundrels (The Bad Guys, #1)
  • Hench For Hire: A Superhero Dungeon Core
  • Elf Puncher
  • The Dimensional Wars, Dravincia
  • Drafted: Proxy War
  • Tech Mage (Technomancer, #1)
Confession time, I’m a fantasy addict! For as long as I can remember, I’ve loved the concept of magical worlds.

I was the kid with dragons doodled around the edge of her school work, the one with her head constantly buried in a book. As a teen, I shunned partying to play Magic the Gathering and DM Dungeons and Dragons games.

Through the years, I’ve always made up stories and took characters on