Start by marking “First Came Us” as Want to Read:
First Came Us

First Came Us

Jack and Ellie Miller have been happily married for eighteen years and lead a perfectly ordinary life with their three children in an idyllic Connecticut town. Jack is an economics professor at Yale and Ellie owns a thriving yoga studio. Although day-to-day life isn’t always carefree, they exist in a world where carpools, soccer games, and bedtimes are their biggest ...more
Published February 5th 2020 by KDP

To ask other readers questions about First Came Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Came Us

Start your review of First Came Us
Izzie d
İlkim
I thought this one will be a good read but unfortunately I couldn't get into the story. I don't know why, maybe it's because of characters or it starts with a cheating scene. Not a bad story but didn't work out for me.
Nursebookie
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
First Came Us by Rachel Cullen

What a great domestic drama about Jack and Ellie Miller that I enjoyed reading about very much! Cullen tells the story of a family that is about as picture perfect as it can be about Jack, a successful Yale University Professor, his wife Ellie owner of a very busy yoga studio, and their three kids.

Out of the blue, a young woman shows up in Jack’s office disrupting his life, an unexpected news finds Ellie re-evaluating her life choices and Sydney their 16yo develops
Moony MeowPoff
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a really great and interesting book. a plus was that it was easy to read and the writing was easy to follow. Only minus was that some places it was too fast phased and some too slow, i wish there had been more to it - more things happening or take more time.
Tammy
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
First Came Us is a whirlwind of secrets...secrets between a husband and wife...secrets of their sixteen year old daughter. This is a story of love and relationships. Be sure to block out a chunk of time because First Came Us is a page turner!
Laura In  Literary Land
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ashleigh
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow I absolutely adored this book. Told from multiple punts of view, which was so helpful
Since so many different things are going on in this story. The parents are ultimately too busy with their own issues, problems, lies and secrets to realize the downward sprial of their teenage daughter and everything else occurring under their own roof. Will all the secrets and deception tear there family apart or bring them back together stronger then before?

Jack, father of three a busy university
Sheri
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ellie and Jack have everything figured out. Ellie owns a yoga studio and Jack is an economics professor at Yale. They have three kids, ranging from 16 years old to a 3rd grader. Things start coming up in their lives that draw the focus to themselves and less on their children. They must figure out how to deal with their personal surprises and continue to be parents at the same time.

This book was a very quick read at a little over 300 pages. I finished it in about half a day. I don't want to give
Ashlee
I received an advanced copy of this book from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

First Came Us follows Ellie and Jack Miller and their teenage daughter Sydney. Ellie owns a yoga studio that’s finally starting to turn a profit, Jack is a renowned economics professor at Yale, and Sydney is a straight-A student. They live a relatively normal life until Ellie’s pregnancy test comes back positive, an 18-year-old girl shows up at Jack’s office claiming to be his daughter, and Sydney gets
Sue
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the story about a family who though they appear to have it all, their core is going to be tested when the secrets they are keeping from each other begin to come out. It's a good look at a family that is falling apart and whether they will be able to keep their family intact.

Jack and Ellie are married and have three kids - a 16 year old daughter and two younger. Ellie owns a yoga studio and Jack is a professor at Yale. They both live busy lives between their jobs and child issues and even
Alex Mason
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
First Came Us tells the tale of Jack and Ellie, along with their 3 children, experiencing the craziest few months of their lives. The book begins with Jack making one big giant mistake that comes back to haunt him 18 years later, but does it? Ellie feels stuck and confused when another bombshell is dropped on her, meanwhile their 16 year old daughter, Sydney, is experiencing high school a little too quickly. What happens when everything happens at once?

A lot happened all at once in First Came
Starr
Jan 20, 2020 added it
I received a digital copy of this title, free, in exchange for my honest opinion.

I have finished this book and I have to say that I am pissed. I am can’t believe I stuck with this book for this long and this is how the author has treated me- as a reader. To be honest- I stopped reading at 90% because WTF?! I don’t even know what the point of this journey that the author took us on. Could there be something amazing that happens in the last ten percent? Quite possibly- but to have the two “main”
Stephani Beltran
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: author-provided
A quick light read that is told in multiple POVs and offers a a few surprises for the family of Jack, Ellie and their children. We have typical teenage drama and anxieties about school, appearance, fitting in and of course boys. We have focuses on their marriage and mistakes made that threaten to change their life. There were a few twists that I figured out and I wish we could also know more about their other children as it only seemed to focus on only the one daughter Sydney. I would have loved ...more
Samantha
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing

"𝐌𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐛𝐞𝐜𝐚𝐮𝐬𝐞, 𝐢𝐬𝐧'𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐢𝐭'𝐬 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭?"

I 𝐚𝐛𝐬𝐨𝐥𝐮𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐚𝐝𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐝 this book! It read easily, the characters were personable and easy to relate to, the storyline was something I haven't seen in a long while and brought up a lot of questions. I really enjoyed this novel and 𝐡𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐥𝐲 𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐝 𝐢𝐭!

𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐤 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐨 𝐑𝐚𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐥 𝐂𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐊𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐑𝐨𝐜𝐤 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐝𝐯𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐝 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐜𝐨𝐩𝐲!! This beauty is available on 𝐅𝐞𝐛𝐫𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐲 so be sure and grab it!!

Brittany J. (BNJreads)
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well that was seriously so damn cute! Just a good family story, that explores past mistakes catching up with us.

There is talk of getting older, marriage woes, miscarriage, abortion and underage drinking to name a few but it honestly was done very well. I found myself wanting to continuously pick this one up. I’d definitely recommend this as an in between read for some of those heavier books!
BookGypsy
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jack and Ellie are living a good life with their three children. Sometimes when you think you have it all a storm blows in. Secrets come to light and choices can have an impact. If that's not bad enough their teen daughter starts going in the wrong direction. Much happens in this story. Much! Maybe a little too much. But I enjoyed this domestic bliss gone haywire.

Dawnny-BookGypsy
Novels N Latte
Hudson Valley NY
Carola | booksanddpaws
*I received a copy from NetGalley for an honest review.

Review to come.
Rebecca
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
First Came Us is a great story about the modern American family in all its dysfunction and glory. While the communication lapses between characters almost drove me crazy, the writing was strong and the story kept me engaged right up to the end. I do wish that the other children in the story were a bit more flushed out. It seemed really strange to me that the nine-year-old and middle schooler didn't really factor into Ellie and Jack's day to day life at all. However, that was the only real flaw ...more
JenLynette
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Highly recommend it and it’s just in time for Valentine’s Day! You won’t want to put this down!
Lisa Simmons
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this read!! I could t put it down!!! The end gave me a good cry which I love in a book, even if it was a little predictable at times. I loved how it was written with a point of view from 3 main characters!! Great book that I’d def recommend!!
Kathleen
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
First Came Us is the concept that is buried under the routine of everyday life in this delightful and very realistic novel. Communication is also forgotten in this twisty story, full of secrets and misunderstanding.

Jack is an Economics Professor at Yale and Ellie owns and teaches at a yoga studio in nearby Westport. They face the usual problems with their three children - schedules, school pick ups, sports practices - until. the cracks in their happy family start to appear. The first is a secret
Donna
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy reading real stories where all is not sunshine, roses and happily ever afters. I found both the characters and story to be believable. I could associate with this story. Jack & Ellie have real life problems as do their children.
Thank you Rachel Cullen and NetGalley for allowing me this advance copy in exchange for my honest feedback.
I highly recommend the purchase of this book.
Ashley Tyler
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free e-book arc of this book from Netgallery in exchange for an honest review! Overall, I liked this book. I enjoyed how the story line and characters had a wholesome feel about them in regards, that the family had a believable husband and wife with problems that were, at times, real life issues. I enjoyed the children, although I felt I got to know one of their children more than the others. I liked the multiple POVs, which helped the reader understand the character developments ...more
Jaime
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from net galley in exchange for an honest review.
This book was so warm and cozy, for a read on a cold winter night. It was told from three different POV’s and I enjoyed that. Getting to see what the husband, wife and daughter were thinking during certain events was wonderful. The husband and wife felt like people to me, dealing with real problems. There were a couple twists and turns in this book, even though I figured out some of them, I enjoyed it thoroughly.
I
Carolina ☕
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
4,5 stars
I absolutely loved this adorable book!
There are, however, some controversial topics and I did find some of the plot predictable.
I loved seeing the lives of a married couple and their children and I think this is an interesting approach to romance and different from the other “typical” books! I connected with the characters and it was a very easy read, I almost didn’t want to stop reading!

*arc provided via netgalley*
Katie Cambria
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
great book. Cullen really has a way of developing her characters and drawing you in. I could not put it down. I really could relate to this family and their challenges. Read it. You will not be disappointed.
Amanda Yates
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!! It’s a story that could take place anywhere. You could see this going on in your own town. I loved it so much!!
Shkolnikjx
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this family drama with well developed characters and a fascinating storyline that make this a must read. Highly recommended.
Andrea
More reviews and book-ish content @ Club Book Mobile on FB, Club Book Mobile on IG & Andrea RBK

First Came Us by Rachel Cullen was a book I have mixed feelings about. Part of that is because the story was just being real, and part of that is because I wanted more of some aspects of the book. The story focuses on the marriage of Jack and Ellie. They appear to "have it all" but then a blast from a poor decision in Jack's past threatens to upend this life. Meanwhile Jack and Ellie's
Megsbookclub
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Do you guys ever get somewhere early just so you can read? I came into the office early yesterday just so I could finish First Came Us! This is just the book I needed after reading so many intense books and being in the middle The Chestnut Man thriller. The story is about a family of 5 and how they have to cope with some changes going on. It’s every day, real-life stuff that is happening to them. It’s the kind of stuff that we all worry about and stresses us out but at the end of the day we know ...more

• Wildland