Jump to ratings and reviews

Us After You

Emotional, endearing, and full of romance, don't miss this brand new standalone heart-wrenching story by USA Today Bestselling author Claudia Burgoa!

Tucker Decker is an infamous billionaire.
He’s ruthless, impulsive, cold-hearted, and hot as sin.
He likes his relationships casual and his commitments without strings.
But when it comes to his former bandmates, he’d do anything for them.
Tragedy demands sacrifice.

I’m an independent woman.
I’ve learned never to ask for help.
And I certainly didn't want it from Tucker.
When my sister left us both to care for my niece,
we realize co-parenting may be harder than we thought.
Especially when we're fighting a desire for each other.

When the ghosts of our past come back to haunt us, will we find that there's still an us after all?

370 pages, Kindle Edition

First published March 5, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Claudia Y. Burgoa

102 books5,957 followers
Claudia is an award-winning, USA Today bestselling author.
She writes alluring, thrilling stories about complicated women and the men who take their breath away.
She lives in Denver, Colorado with her husband and her youngest two children. She has a sweet Bichon, Macey, who thinks she's the ruler of the house. She's only partially right.
When Claudia is not writing, you can find her reading, knitting, or just hanging out with her family.
At night, she likes to binge watch shows with her equally geeky husband.

Instagram: http://bit.ly/ClaudiasIG
TikTok: https://bit.ly/CBstiktok
Bloggers/Influencers: https://geni.us/CBBloggers
Newsletter: https://geni.us/CBNewsletter

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
29 (4%)
1 star
25 (4%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 179 reviews
Profile Image for Carol [Goodreads Addict].
2,270 reviews24.7k followers
March 1, 2020
RATING 4.5 STARS

Us After You is by Claudia Y. Burgoa. I want to say that I rate the books I read by my feelings, my emotions. For me to connect to a book, I have to feel, and this book made me feel so much. You know when you put your book down to try to be productive but you can’t because your mind is constantly on the characters of the book you are reading, that the author has done her job well. And with this book, Ms. Burgoa has most definitely done her job well!

Tucker Decker started out his life as most children do, in a loving home with two loving parents. Until it wasn’t. His life fell apart and he realized nothing was as it seemed. That’s when, as a teenager, he and his best friends formed the band, Sinners of Seattle, which became a worldwide phenomenon. Now, years later, the band no longer together, his band mates are like his family. He tries his best to take care of them in any way he can.

Sage Heywood grew up in a wealthy household where children are raised by the nanny. There was no love or affection. She escapes to Baker’s Creek, Oregon to take care of her Grandparents and has found a quiet, peaceful life there, helping to run their bookstore.

Daiane Meneghel

When Tucker and Sage first meet, that initial crackle of electricity is there but neither are ready for it. As they weave in and out of each other’s lives, that crackle grows but the timing is never right. Until tragedy once more brings them together and binds them in a way that forces them into each other’s lives.

The first half of this book goes back about three years giving us the history we need to set the stage of Tucker and Sage’s lives. I do have to admit that I was a little confused at times with all the secondary characters, trying to get them straight and how they are all tied together. But once we got to the present day, I had it all figured out and it’s here where things really got good. By this point I was fully invested and couldn’t stop thinking about these two and their friends.

Tucker and Sage were both broken in their own ways but they found acceptance in each other, that missing piece you never knew you were looking for. This book is both heartbreaking and joyous. They were both so dedicated to doing what they knew they had to do, they put their own happiness on hold. But in doing that, it made their reward all the sweeter. I loved the way this ended and I closed the book with a big smile on my face. I may have even sighed a couple of times. This is definitely one of those books that I will continue to think about for some time and I’m so glad I had the opportunity to read it.

“One dream. One hope. One wish. For this to become us.”

For more about this book and so many more, come and visit me at Carol's Crazy Bookish World.

Profile Image for Bibliophile  Chloe .
1,103 reviews97 followers
February 26, 2020
Oh my heart! This story moved me to tears and then to laughter and to heartwarming feels! You are going to run the gamut of emotions with this new story from Ms. Burgoa!

This is Tucker and Sage's story.  But it is so much more!  It's the definition of love and choosing your own family.  You don't have to be related by blood to feel that connection, that belonging.

Tucker was the lead singer of the Sinners of Seattle.  His history is scarred with not feeling like enough. From being shuffled from family to family and never feeling like he truly belonged until he forged his own family with his bandmates.  He is the unofficial leader of the band and he takes his role and responsibilities to his bandmates seriously, too seriously.

Sage also comes from a rocky past and childhood.  She has run away from her horrible past and started fresh.  She is the glue that keeps her family together as best as she can.

This story flowed through the years, and it flowed beautifully.  There is heartache and pain but above all else, there is hope and love in this story! I loved the dialogue, the secondary characters, absolutely everything about this book! You will too!

This is going to be in the running for my "Best Books of 2020!"
Profile Image for Caroline F.
2,059 reviews29 followers
February 9, 2022
It feels like I've been waiting a long time for Tucker Decker's story and the author really delivered!

"Special is too simple of a word to describe her. She's mesmerizing."

Tucker Decker and Sage Heywood are thrust together as co-parents to a baby that isn't theirs. The chemistry is there between them from the first moment they meet. However, Sage has already been married to a man, who on the surface, is very much like Tucker, so she's just not interested in getting involved with him. Nonetheless, the more time they spend together, she discovers a side to him that is not usually up for public consumption. Tucker's pretty smitten with Sage, but he can tell she's skittish. He likes that she doesn't fawn over him. In fact, he loves that she's not afraid to put him in his place. Unfortunately, there's a hell of a lot at stake than just a romantic relationship between the two of them.

"We're not so different from one another. Forged by our pasts, broken-hearted, and filled with fear."

This story was angsty from the very first page. There's plenty of turmoil and pain to be had in this story, as well as humour, camaraderie and the all-encompassing security of familial bonds. Seriously, if the Deckers were real people, I'd want to be in their tribe! Family is such a big theme in this story, but in a completely unconventional sense. You don't have to have the same DNA to be part of the Deckers. They just envelope you into the fold. Is it weird to be jealous of fictional people?! LOL

"This slow dance of light touches, stolen glances, and flirty words is dangerous and one I look forward to every single day."

Tucker had my heart. He needs love and has a lot of love to give. He just wants to belong but he's holding on to past hurts too tightly to fully embrace what is right in front of him. He is totally heart-meltingly swoony! So loyal, thoughtful, considerate and patient. I loved his vulnerability. Sage is a caretaker and a fighter. I loved her gutsiness and her good, warm heart. These two so deserved one another!

This story was full of contradictions - beauty and ugliness, pain and joy. Fabulous!

9 February 2022: Nearly two years since publication and I've only just discovered that this book is dedicated to me! How awesome is that?! <3
Profile Image for PP's Bookshelf.
1,986 reviews288 followers
March 4, 2020
Us After You by Claudia Burgoa was an overwhelmingly emotional journey for me. This story is about relationships and love at so many level. Loving yourself. Loving friends and families of all kinds. Loving someone enough to change your life. The author has broken me and healed me with her heartaching and inspiring writing.

Tucker Decker is man of many talents. Celebrity band member of Sinners of Seattle. Philanthropist. Successful businessman. But he is an incomplete, unsatisfied and broken man inside. He holds bitterness and anger towards his mother and parents. His loyalty lies with his friends but they are letting him down. He has changed his party boy image or at least tried but Zeke and Rocco has not been so wise. Drugs and scandals chase them. Rocco finally got married to a beautiful woman only to lose her after delivering their daughter Mae. And he is gone too. Now Tucker has the responsibility of Mae. Shared with Mae's aunt, Sage. A shy, smart, sweet and adorable woman who has been abused and traumatised enough by her parents and ex husband. They don't trust each other. But they need an united front to give Mae a home. Legally, emotionally and physically.

I think what's most unique about this story is the individual journey of Tucker and Sage. They do spend a lot of time together in various phases of their relationships. Like meeting in a bar accidentally, then Sage trying to avoid him and push him as he reminds her of her ex husband ( not a good way), then having almost animosity running as Sage's parents try to sue them and finally building a true partnership and friendship over Mae. But the author gave them individual spaces to evolve and grow. And that made me closer to them. Tucker's struggle with his family, his troubles with bandmates, his solidarity with these people who are more than family, his protectiveness ( SWOONING SO HARD) over Mae and how he becomes the perfect man. He is still cocky and arrogant and infuriating. But he holds a softness in his heart. Likewise Sage found a loving and accepting family in strangers while her own blood despises her. She always sacrificed her happiness for others but Tucker made her priority and has taken care of her needs first. They have a different kind of connection that can only be found between two lonely and vulnerable persons with heart bigger than ocean. The emotions crippled me but those moments were just amazing. Angsty. Soul deep. Raw. Honest. Every thing.

Us After You by Claudia Burgoa is all about romancing life. About finding meaning in darkness. About finding glory after darkness. About true value of loyal friends and loving families. Tucker and Sage both lost a lot but found each other. An exceptionally heartbreaking romance that wrecked my heart beautifully.

Received ARC for honest review.
Profile Image for BookAddict.
1,437 reviews94 followers
March 5, 2020
This is one of those books I wish would never end. I fell so totally and completely for these characters that they, without a doubt, will always live in my heart. I knew from the first, short, four-page chapter that this story was going to devastate me, and I cherished every second of this journey. From heart wrenching and devastating to inspiring and euphoric, I feasted on every word of this emotional journey and was torn between reading quickly to find out how things resolved and slowly savoring every word.

Tucker has always felt like something was missing, like he was somehow never enough. He has his ex Sinners of Seattle bandmates who are closer then family, but he still longs for someone to see the real Tucker, to love him for him. It might seem that his band family should be enough, but a couple of the guys are so lost they may never find themselves. And yes, Tucker has family, but there are some complicated dynamics there, and they’ve lost patience with a thirty-year-old man behaving like he's still an early twenties rock god.

Sage Heywood has her own issues of feeling inadequate. She could never please her affluent parents who only care about appearances, and somehow she's the one the family comes to when they need help. She escaped an abusive ex who destroyed her self-confidence and is not only taking care of her grandparents since her grandfather’s stroke, but her sister only calls when she needs something from Sage.

Sierra Heywood and former Sinners of Seattle guitar player, Rocco, are two lost souls who find each other. When it looks like they may be on their way to rescuing each other and starting a life together, fate has other plans, leaving a precious baby without her parents. Sierra and Rocco have been quite clear that their wish is for Tucker and Sage to parent their sweet Mae, but Sage's parents and the state of Washington may have other ideas.

Oh my heart, y'all, this book! It ruined, wrecked and devastated me in the most agonizing, beautiful ways. I’m not sure I’ve ever been so invested and rooted so strongly for such hard won happily ever afters. These perfectly broken characters, with their trials, growth, triumphs and new beginnings by turns destroyed my heart and brought me to giddy, euphoric highs.

This masterfully crafted novel is Burgoa's shining star, and I don’t know how she keeps topping herself, but each new release is better than the last. If you haven’t read her books yet, you're really, really missing out, and this is just the book to court your romantic heart and win you over to her talented writing. Run to the 1-Click and start reading now! You'll want to wrap these perfectly crafted, spellbinding characters up in your arms. Their story is unforgettable, and this authentic, endearing, cast will forever live in your heart. Worth an entire galaxy of stars, I implore you, don’t pass this one up.
March 5, 2020
Us after you is an emotionally charged novel that will have you laughing and crying with each chapter! The angst, the hurt and the love laced in each page grips you and doesn’t let you go even after the last word is read! This book will undo you completely!

This book is a beautiful mesh of Claudia’s writing style! No one can write such beautiful emotional books like Burgoa can! Her writing touches on topics that we face in every day life! She brings the nitty gritty ugliness of the world and shows us that even in our darkest times there can be light! She shows us time and time again the importance of family, friends and how having a circle of both can get us through the most trying times! I love the beauty found in each book and Us After You has everything I love about Claudia’s writing and more!

You get to see some of Burgoa’s past amazing characters as well as meeting new ones! This is a must read for sure and one that shouldn’t be missed! Whether your a fan already or new to this author grab this beautiful book because there’s definitely something for everyone within its pages!
Profile Image for Becky Rendon.
3,363 reviews63 followers
March 6, 2020
Freaking Claudia! She made me cry again. The feels is Us After You are enough to make a person seek medical advice. I've read two versions of this book (perks of being a pain in the butt to the author) and I am still in love. I still felt every letter. Let me back track!

Us After You is ...(extremely deep inhale, delayed forceful exhale) wow. Its emotional, intense, and a beautiful story. I love the Sinners of Seattle so of course I needed to read Tuck's book. What I absolutely loved is Burgoa gives us Tucker's history (even though its catalogued in her Unexpected Series) in a way that flows through the book. I loved the connections and now the roots for our relationship with the Sinners. But my favorite parts are always the ones that hurt...

I love when an author makes it hurt. When you can't help but repsond to the emoitons on the page. I love feelings the love, the despair, and the hopelessness. It makes me experience the book on a higher level, struggling with the characters makes them real.

Us After You is real. The Sinners are my new besties and I cannot wait to watch Ethan and Zeke fall respectively. Also, can I just gush over seeing my favorite lawyer, Fitz. I'm still waiting on his book too. (Wink, nudge, wink...Claudia!)
Profile Image for Nadine Bookaholic.
3,554 reviews307 followers
March 5, 2020
I have been waiting for Tucker's story for a while, I loved his parent's story in Uncut, which was the first book by Claudia I had read and instantly fell in love with her writing.

I thought going into this book it was going to be a little on the lighter side but I will admit that there were quite a few times I needed tissues. If you are thinking this is going to be light and fluffy you are wrong, this story is deeply emotional, yes I did laugh out loud a few times but the overall feel of the story is much more heavier then a rom-com.

I always recommend Claudia Burgoa's books because they are books that make you laugh, cry, cheer, and just outright feel and for me that is the best part of a book.

You can read my full review HERE

Us After You

Nadine's Obsessed with Books **I have voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Readers Copy of this book for my Blog, Nadine's Obsessed with Books**
Where you can find me:  https://linktr.ee/NadineBookaholic

February 29, 2020
I am on an incredible high, I went through a rollercoaster of emotions and I have all the feels after devouring Us After You. Us After You is a beautiful, emotionally charged book that made my heart ache and smile. The storyline is brilliantly crafted and unique, sweet, sexy, heartbreaking, charming and oh so swoon worthy. This is a story of love, healing, making sacrifices for the ones you love and forgiveness.

After Sage’s sister named Tucker and Sage as guardians of her niece, baby Mae, they began their journey as co parents. This changes the course of their lives and while the nature of Tucker and Sage’s relationship is unconventional, it felt so right and was flawlessly executed. Both of them have experienced terrible things in their pasts and are somewhat jaded when it comes to relationships. Tucker’s flirtatious banter kept Sage on her toes and there were quite a few funny and entertaining moments between them. I loved Sage, especially her kind heart, her resilience and her consideration of others. Their chemistry was solid, they were definitely meant to be together and they gave each other so much strength, love and support. Tucker, Sage and baby Mae completely captured my heart. And let me just say that reading the scenes with Tucker and baby Mae not only melted my heart but also made my ovaries explode.

Us After You can definitely be read as a stand-alone however if you’ve read Uncut(Unexpected #4) and Almost Perfect, you will see familiar characters. It was wonderful revisiting the crew from the Sinners of Seattle(Almost Perfect) and my favorite family of all time, the Deckers(Unexpected series). I never knew how much I needed Tucker’s story until I read it as it was such a perfect blend of everything I wanted and so much more. I’ve crowned Claudia Burgoa queen of heartbreak however, she always ALWAYS does a fantastic job of putting my heart back together. And in this case, she definitely met that goal. This is definitely one of my favorite books of 2020.
Profile Image for Athena D..
860 reviews49 followers
June 1, 2021
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 5 STARS

I could not put this book down, I read it in one sitting! This was a definite slow burn, but the journey was EVERYTHING!!! Tucker and Sage are thrown into an unconventional relationship due to circumstances beyond their control. Although they are attracted to each other, they choose not to do anything about it as to not make waves and make their situation worse than it is; until they decide they can't fight their attraction anymore.

This was such a touching story and I highly recommend reading this EPIC book. Us After You by Claudia Burgoa will join the ranks of the BIBLIO-ARISTOCRACY!!!

I recently listened to this audiobook and it was just as good listening to it as it was reading it the first time around. The narration by George Newbern and Grace Grant was on point! If you prefer audiobooks, this is one you definitely should listen to.
Profile Image for M L.
446 reviews13 followers
February 26, 2020
Wow! Just wow! This one has all the feels you could want in a story! Love is all consuming, when you find it you realize you can’t live without it. Tucker has never loved anyone in life enough to really let go of his past. Sage is too afraid to ever love again because of her past. But when fate throws them together, can they both learn to live in the present? This is the story of a family that love built. It’s emotional. It’s sad. It’s the reality of life. It is full of heartache and unimaginable pain. But in the midst of that despair, Tucker and Sage both find a reason to keep going....love. Love for each other and love for a sweet innocent baby that weaves her way into their hearts. Absolutely amazing!!
Profile Image for TheSassyNerdBlog.
700 reviews322 followers
Oh, my heart!

I don't know why I am so surprised every time one of Claudia's books grabs hold of my heart! It happens with every book I read of hers, and Us After You was no different. It was emotional and angsty filled with pain and hurt woven in with a breathtaking, yet heartbreakingly beautiful love story!

Sage and Tucker's book wasn't what I expected if I'm honest but that's not a bad thing. It was so much more than I expected. I got so lost within these pages, I managed to devour the book in less than 24 hours.

This love story didn't have the best beginning, it was pretty rocky. When they first met, the spark, the connection was there but these two were not ready for a love like theirs, so that began a pattern of being in and out of each other lives, and the spark between these two ignites more and more as they play this game, but every time they tried to make something of it, it was never the right time. Until something massive and tragic happens and pulls them closer and into each other lives even more. They can no longer avoid the undeniable desire they have for one another.

Both Sage and Tucker had their hurt and pain and lives to figure out. They were broken in a sense, and throughout the book, I couldn't help but notice how, over the years, that broken was what was balancing these two out for each other. They learned to accept it. These two were truly two of a kind. The balanced each other out more than anything. Even when they were denying themselves one another because it wasn't something they had to be doing. They were so focused on things they needed to do, that they put their love and happiness aside but when they finally came together like they were meant to be, it was so much more perfect and amazing. They were perfect and they were perfect for each other.

I have to say, this is probably my most favorite book to date by this author. Something about this story hit home for me and pull me in, in the process of pulling at my heartstrings. I laughed, I cried and I swooned and fell in love with both Sage and Tucker and everything about them.

Such an incredible read. I couldn't get enough. Claudia's writing was flawless as always and kept my attention from page one right through till the very last page. Her way with words had me so lost in the plot that everything around me fell away and I was completely consumed by the story she has crafted.

5 Stars!
Profile Image for Anne OK.
3,399 reviews437 followers
March 22, 2020
A rocky start with a confusing and cluttered beginning made this a tough book to get into. I found myself circling around to go back and re-read parcels too many times. First of all, it was pitched as a standalone and, in my opinion, it most certainly was not. It's more a spin-off of a group of previous books where relevant characters play a part.

The real draw doesn't take hold until almost halfway in and by then I was totally unbalanced and struggling to continue. I held strongly determined to complete the task -- and at times it was just that -- a difficult task. My take on the reason: the plotting wasn't straightforward and the writing jumbled and confusingly laid out. Otherwise, if you can hang in there, you'll finally get to a point of a potentially good story. It's just a battle getting there.

I neither hated or loved it. Overall, it was a middle-of-the-road read. I've read much better from this author.
Profile Image for B. C. Booklover.
654 reviews33 followers
March 4, 2020
Claudia Burgoa did the very thing I was hoping for when I saw that a character from one of her past books, Tucker Decker, was going to be the leading man in Us After You...Yay..lots to look forward to with him in the mix!

Tucker Decker is all grown up now and what a swoony man he is..so smart, in control, multifaceted in his businesses and life in general. One of the former band member of the now defunct Seattle Sinners, he is tall, dark and handsome, privileged, cocky and trying to keep out of the limelight, often still recognized from his former profession as a well known musician. When a quickly planned wedding pulls the entire band family back together in one place again, their troubled friend returns to home base after years of silence, bringing his new fiancee into the fold as if no time had passed at all.

Sage, the annoyed sister of the bride, finds herself in the midst of star power, disliking Tucker, his gorgeous face and overly confident ways. After the life she suffered thru with her abusive ex husband and no family support, Tucker seems just as arrogant in her eyes and cut from the same a-hole cloth. She wants to be gone from all these wealthy people that have close, life long friendships and a history she doesn't understand or belong to. I really wasn't loving Sage at this point but I hung in there, waiting and watching these characters grow into what they were meant to be. So glad I did because the last half of the book was where my favorite parts were waiting to be found!!!

Fate has a way of screwing with the best of plans when a series of heartbreaking tragedies strike and change Tucker and the Sinners world forever. They all seem to have their own roles within their 'family' but he is a protector and problem solver. So...when he and the independent, very opinionated Sage are thrown together as guardians of a precious, innocent angel, along with their arrangement comes drama and a dash of sweet realization. Being together 24/7 is opening up new emotions, unwanted, intriguing, infuriating and unexpected ones. Scratching the surface and seeing new sides that contradict everything you think already know about a person can really mess with your mind.

Juat as life settles down, An ruthless enemy from the past slithers in to threaten their emerging happiness but if danger come with it, how will this tentative beginning for Tucker and Sage make it through to the other side? Figure in some well meaning 'help'and outside influences and you have a slow burning, flame and fire romance that will stay with you a long while after you finish this story.

Tucker's complicated family tree begins in Claudia's much loved Unexpected Series. It's been a while since I read those amazing books but was so happy to revisit some of their familiar faces years down the road because I really do love when an author blends in beloved characters from a previous series. I had the benefit of the Decker Family background, foggy though it was after a long hiatus but Claudia's newer readers might be be confused here and there with the names, faces and relationships. Finding some time to read these books would be a great way to discover more about sexy Tucker's teenaged past, the Sinners beginnings and all the juicy details that unique Decker Family has hidden away for you to binge on. Believe me, there is never a dull moment in them...a very exciting series, full of BIG surprises. Read them sometime, you'll be so sucked in, you won't know what hit you!

My thanks to the author for this early, complimentary copy to read and review.
Profile Image for books are love.
3,131 reviews24 followers
March 6, 2020
Received in exchange for a honest review.

This book starts with a heartbreaking moment and ends so tenderly and beautifully. Claudia Burgoa has a way of bringing books to life and having you live and experience the emotions and moments of her characters.

Here we have the gang of Sinners of Seattle back and now we get Tucker’s story. We see how he ended up in Colorado as other past books alluded to and why he is there. We get to truly see who Tucker is and just melt into a pile of goo because of this sweet, tender man.

Tucker comes off as arrogant in the past. He is protecting himself more than anything. He is fiercely loyal, a amazing man, sweet, loving, tender and protective. Smart and sexy as well. He is there for his friends at all costs. His journey has him learn so much. He learns about family, loss and love. About finding your lobster and learning to begin a relationship from friendship and trust and go from there. About how family is there no matter what even when you take a long time to realize this. I loved reading his point of view. His humour was great and his banter with Sage is great. So is his closeness to his friends. He comes off as cold at the beginning to outsiders but he really is just a big teddy bear. Him with Mae had me melt.

Sage was cold and stayed that way for awhile. You get why but it has you take a while to warm up to her. I didn’t always like how she judged people before knowing them. Take Tucker for instance, when first meeting him she put him in a box and wouldn’t give him the time of day. With him she would constantly jump to conclusions. And she did this until they were forced into situations and she got to see him in his natural environment with his friends. Even after she got to know him she still sometimes drew the wrong conclusion. I love how it is Tucker’s friends and family that welcome her and show her love, loyalty and friendship. They teach her to trust and let people in. Her moments with Mae are tender.

Mae I fell in love with especially as we got to know the snuggle bug through the whiteboard they had telling her milestones. That little girl you just want to cocoon in love and warmth. She has a rough start to life with what happens and root for her.

The romance was a slow burn and full of tension. attraction tension mainly. Tucker never let Sage’s attitude towards him in the beginning deter him from what he wants. We get the book from both Tucker and Sage’s views and it is Tuckers that i love the most. He is so real and honest and him with Mae just turned me into a pile of goo.

A story filled with emotion and love. Will have you needing tissues and smiling. Angry and sad. A beautifully written book about love, family, friends and life.
Profile Image for Beyond The Covers Blog.
2,245 reviews79 followers
February 26, 2020
I don’t really know where to begin with the review for Us After You by Claudia Burgoa.  This book is a little hard to follow during the first half and is going in the beginning.  It jumps back and forth in time and it is hard to keep track of who is talking during the dialogue.  The second half of the book is amazing, and I couldn’t put it down.  There was heartbreaking drama and a slow burning romance that was swoon worthy.  The main female character was a little cold and uncaring towards the plight of others and the former rock star billionaires were a little too good to be believable, but I still couldn’t help liking all the characters.  The overall story was a great idea and Burgoa has her own way of storytelling. 4-stars for Us After You by Claudia Burgoa.

Sage Heywood has finally gotten her life back on track and is living for herself.  Now with just her scars to remind her of what she’s survived she is determined to move forward with life and not look back.  Tucker Decker was the lead singer of a famous rock band.  Now the billionaire business playboy still does what he wants just not on the stage.  When his bandmates (his family) needs him, he will always be there no matter what.  Tucker and Sage find themselves in a situation to take care of Sage’s niece and keep her safe from those who want her for all the wrong reasons.  Tucker and Sage must fight the attraction to each other if they have any chance of keeping the baby, but what if there was a chance to have the baby and to be with each other?  Can Tucker and Sage let their past demons go and take the chance on love and risk losing the most precious thing they have ever been entrusted with?

Profile Image for Sharon Moritz-rosenthal.
1,889 reviews17 followers
March 5, 2020
I received a complimentary ARC - early release copy of this book in Kindle format from the author for review purposes.
So this book is hard to review because its part of a series and honestly while it starts in the beginning of the middle of the last book, at times if I had not read that book I would have still been lost. So while its supposed to stand alone, truly you should read the previous book about Alex and Hannah. Hannah was in a band, and this story is about the band and one of her best friends and first kiss ever Tucker Decker. Hannah and Alex are in this story ALOT, ALOT, they are major players and their wedding is on hold because of events relating to this story.

Before I go on this story was absolutely awesome. If you want an uncomplicated and happy romance, thats light reading, do not read this book. It is a long story and for the first 30% Tucker and the heroine in this story, Sage have not even met yet. And also for a large portion of this story, Sage has a boyfriend in the most casual way. Its a very complicated story but it was absolutely wonderful. Maybe one of the best stories I have read by the author.

When we last left the rock group, they had a mishap in Cancun and this story starts several years before the present in the middle of Hannah and Alex's story and shows us the repercussions from that trip and it really had far reaching consequences.

Tucker Dean Decker we met in the last book and he was an adopted kid who in the middle of his teenage years found his birth mother and went to live with her. The Decker family and after Cancun he has a break with his family and he goes to Hannah and Alex to help him find a business. The band gets split up as some of them go to rehab and some go off by themselves.

Sage is a brand new character, and she is a poor rich girl. She has an older sister Sienna and she was abused by her ex husband. She has dumped the rich life and now lives in a small town with her grandparents, helping them with their bookstore. She loves her sister but they have a distance between them.

And I am sorry that is all I can say about the story without giving out spoilers. I loved how strong Sage is even while at times she struggles with what to do. And my gosh Tucker, is so loving and wonderful, what he goes through in this story was very intense but he never gives up and he is so their for his best friends. And Hannah and Alex, those two were so there for their friends when they needed it.

This is a very intense story. Its about love, family and friendship and about being there for your friends in times of happiness and in times when they struggle. It was a very intense story but also awesome.
Profile Image for Kaitie.
912 reviews19 followers
March 2, 2020
This book! I’m pretty sure my heart is in shreds but in the end in a good way. But oh wow!! Be prepared for tissues. And maybe have a good box of chocolates around too. But also, be prepared to fall in love. Madly in love. Even more so with the group of friends we already know and love. And you’ll fall for Tucker even more then you already have.
Profile Image for kgagnon.
1,744 reviews1 follower
March 2, 2020
I was so excited to finally have Tucker's story and I absolutely loved it! We first met him as the young man who had been adopted as a baby, but after a tragic turn of events when he was a teen, was rescued and brought back into the Colthurst-Decker-Bradley family fold. He has never gotten over the feeling of being abandon and feels closer and more in common with his bandmates from the Sinners Of Seattle. They have made poor choices in the past but are all working toward a better life. When one of his bandmates, Rocco, finds the woman of his dreams, Tucker and the band welcome her with open arms. But it's her sister, Sage, who really captures Tucker's heart and mind. Unfortunately, Sage has her own heartbreaking demons, and Tucker is too close to that pain, so she keeps him at a distance. When the unimaginable happens, Tucker and Sage must come together, and sacrifice their own lives, working as a team to co-parent her newborn niece. I absolutely loved Tucker's fierce loyalty, and protectiveness. He was so swoonworthy as he fell instantly in love with baby Mia, taking care of all of her needs. I was heartbroken for Sage as she struggled with her past but still wanted to be a good mom for Mia. I also loved how Tucker worked through his emotions and the way he finally made peace with those who love him most. Sage is so smart, sassy, guarded and so perfect for Tucker. I loved the banter between them, and their chemistry leaped right off the page! It was great getting to know more about Ethan and Zeke and how they also would do anything to support and protect not only Mia, but each other as well. I have always loved the whole Decker clan, and they are a huge part of this story as they continue to prove how fiercely loyal, loving, and supportive they are. There is nothing they won't do for each other and those in need, and they accept Sage as one of their own. The thing that I enjoy most about Ms. Burgoa's writing is that she doesn't rush her characters trials, making it feel genuine and honest to me. This story made me feel so many emotions,and I loved every word of this witty, touching, and steamy romance! It makes me excited to read more about the fun and compelling Sinners Of Seattle!
Profile Image for Chrissy Busick.
665 reviews31 followers
March 4, 2020
This is not your normal romance!!!!

Now that is out of the way let me tell you what this is. This story is life. It is unconventional, it is emotional, it is learning to love yourself, learning to love a child, learning to love with your whole being. It is learning to trust after you have been hurt by the ones you should be able to trust. It is everything difficult, emotional, joyous, and sorrowful in life beautifully written in this story.

Tucker Decker's life has been far from ordinary. He was adopted as a baby, then no longer wanted when those parents split. He then ends up back with his birth mother and family, but obviously has some issues there. He grew up in a famous family, was a member of a fairly popular band in his late teens early twenties. His ideas of life are a little skewed. But deep down he wants what everyone wants in life. To be loved for who he truly is.

Sage Heywood has been hurt beyond measure. Living with her grandparents to help after her grandfather has a health complication she isn't living life, but surviving it. She survived her abusive ex-husband, and does is trying to move forward with her life, despite her parents urging her to get back with her ex-husband.

Then life introduces these two, when Sage's sister and Tucker's friend decide to get married. Tucker is instantly drawn to Sage, but Sage want nothing to do with the man she thinks he is. Then when the worst possible things happen they are forced to work together for the sake of their Snuggle Bug.

This story is so powerful. It evokes so many emotions. So beautifully written. With characters we have already met in some of Claudia Burgoa's other works, and a few new ones. Characters you will love, and others you will love to hate.
Profile Image for Barbara.
2,039 reviews39 followers
March 4, 2020
Where to begin.. Like others have stated the book started off a little hard to follow, but having read Ms. Burgoa before I knew there had to be a reason it was written as it was. Yep, by half way through it was all clicking together and I ended up reading another amazing story from this author. You can read the synopsis and get a really good grasp of what the storyline is about, but what it doesn’t say is how emotional and heartfelt the book is. I literally couldn’t put it down once it got going. The book made my heart ache at times and soar in others. The characters (which at times I wanted to bop a on the head) were devine. The story is about things we all face in our lives: Heartbreak, healing, the power of love and forgiveness and so much more.

This is one truly amazing contemporary romance that this reader Highly Recommends grabbing up; by the end of the book, you won’t be sorry you did. 2 Thumbs Up and 5 Brilliant Stars.
Profile Image for Jennifer D..
712 reviews13 followers
March 3, 2020
Us After You has all the feels! I loved everything about this book! Claudia delivers a beautifully written story full of heartache and healing. She touches upon real topics that affect so many people.

I love all of the characters but Tucker and Sage will hold a special place in my heart. I loved their slow-burn romance. They have both been through so much and deserve a HEA. I didn't want this book to end!!

I recommend reading Almost Perfect first as you will have more insight on all of the characters but not required as it recaps some from Tucker's POV.
Profile Image for Erin Lewis.
3,988 reviews116 followers
February 28, 2020
4 Star Review of Us After You by Claudia Y Burgoa

This was Tucker Decker and Sage Hayward’s story and what a story it is, ticking quite a few boxes for me.

This book got to me on numerous levels; it was funny, sad, emotional and the chemistry between Tucker and Sage was intense as it built. Can they deny what is staring them both in the face? Or will they give in to the desire that is burning between them?

This is a story of self discovery, of facing ones past and moving forward into the future, if you dare to take a leap of faith. The characters were entertaining and the story was well written. Angsty at times and heart warming it made me laugh and made me cry.

Will they take a chance on one another and in doing so find love and a happily ever after that they both deserve? You will need to one click this book to find out.
Profile Image for Jeeves Reads Romance.
1,342 reviews402 followers
March 5, 2020
Phew... where do I even start with this? I didn't like it. I didn't like it at all. HOWEVER, I can appreciate the quality of the writing, the depth of emotion, and the little breadcrumbs the author left along the way. For me, the start is tedious, confusing, and completely void of romance. These two characters don’t even meet until more than 25% of the way in - and it is NOT a short book. It improves as it goes on, but I had already disconnected by the time it got there. I saw moments of greatness but they were overshadowed by all of the clutter that got in the way.

Normally this is where I’d share details about the storyline, and how the characters meet... but I don’t usually address things that happen after the first 20% of a book, so I’m not sure how to handle that this time. Anything I say about the relationship will feel like a spoiler because they meet so late into the book, and anything else is not all that relevant. I can say that our hero is a former musician who has struggled to overcome many obstacles in his life (triggers aplenty), and our heroine is a divorcée who has her own problematic past. Their lives intersect in ways neither one anticipated.

I was really looking forward to reading this and ultimately disappointed with the way things played out. The writing is actually pretty interesting (if you understand what’s going on in the story) and the depth of emotion was impressive. It’s just... I strongly disliked the first half of the book, and every other opinion I have about it is shaped by that dislike. That’s a problem. I appreciated receiving an ARC of this emotional romance (and am voluntarily leaving a review), but this just didn’t work for me.
Profile Image for Dora Harvey.
1,015 reviews3 followers
March 5, 2020
I voluntarily reviewed an advance complimentary copy of this book.

US AFTER YOU is an emotional rollercoaster as we ride every high and hit the withdrawal symptoms that the character endures. I was totally captivated throughout this addictive page-turning story. I was hooked—sometimes laughing, sometimes tearing up, and sometimes telling them to stop it! This book was heart-wrenching in its emotional highs and lows of the two main characters’ struggles as they help each other try to get what they each need. My heart broke for the two main characters and all the odds that were against them in this story of love, love lost, and love found. Claudia Burgoa brought the darkness of addiction and abuse to the forefront and didn’t shy away from showing how bad things end up. The author has a lyrical way of writing, capturing the beauty and intensity of each moment. Tucker Decker is an infamous billionaire who used to play in a band making him arrogant, cold-hearted but so swoon-worthy. Tucker came from a loving home until it wasn’t. For Tucker, his bandmates are his family—he would do anything for them, money satisfies his every wish, and endless lines of willing and ready women fulfill any voids because he does not do relationships. Sage Heywood is an independent and smart woman who came from a wealthy family, but without the love or affection she needed from her parents. When Tucker meets Sage, he is enamored with the feisty, sassy, and obstinate beautiful woman. Their chemistry leaps off the page. They are combustible. Everything about Sage and Tucker was wrong, but none of that mattered until a devastating tragedy turns her idyllic life upside down. Then Sage receives some unexpected information, and the last thing she needs is the ghost from her past threatening her. The stakes are high—Sage and Tucker could lose everything—what will they do now! The book will pique your interest and draw you in from the beginning to the very end. I would HIGHLY recommend this book!
Profile Image for Wendy *cr8zysockbookblock*.
556 reviews181 followers
March 11, 2020
Oh my gosh are you guys in for an emotional ride with Us After You. Tucker, Nana and the rest of the Sinners are back in this emotionally gripping and heart wrenching story of loss, love, sacrifice and family. It’s the story of Tucker, Sage and one sweet baby that brings everyone together.

Tucker was all kinds of swoony and Sage was a sassy, and strong independent woman. Although she hadn’t had the easiest life, the potential her sister and even Tucker and the rest of the Sinners saw in her to raise her niece was heartwarming and precious. She tried to resist him, but she was no match for the charms of the irresistible Tucker Decker. He believed in her ability to care for her niece and would make her a part of his makeshift family with the other Sinners. Hannah, Alex, Zeke, and Ethan all have really big parts in this story. It was really great to see so many of the characters we love from previous books make appearances and to get updates on what’s going on in their lives.

As always Claudia Burgoa’s writing is spot on and flawless with her attention to every emotion, detail and in her character development. If you loved the Sinners, pick up this book and check back in with everyone on this emotional journey. While this wasn’t my favorite out of all Claudia’s books TBH, it was still a good emotionally gripping read.

Profile Image for Heather.
1,092 reviews2 followers
March 6, 2020
Us After You was a very intense story! I didn’t read the book that Tucker came from, so it took me a while to figure out who everyone was. It was distracting for me because I’m a little crazy with stuff like that, but I think normal people will be fine. Lol. I really enjoyed this heartbreaking love story. It wasn’t just a story of two people falling in love with each other. We saw a lot of familial love. We saw a new couple come together, a family that has enough love that they bring others into their group and love them just as fiercely as they love their own, and everyone falling in love with a baby that isn’t theirs biologically. There was a lot going on in Tucker and Sages lives and I never knew what was going to happen next. This story made me feel a lot of different feelings and I thoroughly enjoyed it.w
Profile Image for Sunday Book Blues.
124 reviews7 followers
March 8, 2020
I knew Us After You would be an emotional read, but it was even more than I expected. It was beautifully heartbroken.
I was immediately amazed by Tucker in Almost Perfect and here I fell in love with him. We have the opportunity of really dive into his life and we can understand a lot about him.
Claudia is a great writer, she caught me from the first page. And she made me feel many emotions, and left me waiting for more. The characters are really deep and she did a great job developing them throughout the story.
And as a bonus, you can see many characters from previous books and enjoy every time they appear.
I loved this story! I cried (a lot), I laughed, I get angry (a little bit) too, but I was very happy to be part of this beautiful journey with Tucker, Sage and Mae.
And to be honest, I feel that I belong to the Sinners of Seattle family!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 179 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.