Start by marking “Stolen Children” as Want to Read:
Stolen Children

Stolen Children

Amy learned a lot in her babysitting course, but not what to do if two thugs show up, intent on kidnapping. Armed with misinformation and a weapon, the men take Amy and little Kendra to a remote cabin in the woods. There they make videos of the girls and mail them to Kendra’s wealthy parents in an effort to get ransom money. After several of her escape attempts fail, Amy i ...more
Published October 16th 2008 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Stolen Children, please sign up.
Savanna Davis Well she liked the story i guess but you have to ask her.

Start your review of Stolen Children
George
Mar 02, 2010 rated it liked it
My fifth grade son recommended this book to me, and you have to know him to comprehend what a major milestone this is. Cade, you see, is what Donalyn Miller (teacher and author of the Book Whisperer) calls a dormant reader. He certainly passes all his reading "tests" but he is not a reader. He doesn't think reading is fun, and he wonders if there was some mix-up at the hospital, because his mother does nothing else but read.

So, you can imagine my excitement when he told me this was a good book,
Camryn
Oct 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Becca hunt
Dec 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i love this book so far it is AWESOME
Fluxbrarian
Mar 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Amy’s first babysitting job is taking care of Kendra, a well behaved 4-year-old from a wealthy family. When two thugs come to the house to kidnap Kendra for ransom, their plan doesn’t go as smoothly as they planned. Kendra’s nanny, who was in on the plan, is away on vacation, and Amy is determined to protect the little girl. Forced to kidnap the teenage girl as well, the two men take them to a remote cabin in the woods. The men send daily DVDs of the girls to their parents in an attempt to make ...more
Shianne
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a summary not a review...draft

Somebody:Amy, a teenage girl who just finished her babysitting course

Wanted:to get money for babysitting because she needed money for school items

But:two kidnappers show up and kidnap Amy and little Kendra because they know Kendra's parents are rich and will do anything for Kendra to get back home

So:Amy has to find a way to get herself and Kendra back home safely

Do they escape safely? You'll have to read it to find out!

revision 1

Amy is a teenage girl who jus
Rose Ann
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My daughter has this on her list to read, and I thought it sounded a little overwhelming of a topic for 8-12 yr. olds, so I wanted to read it before her.

It was definetely a page turner, and well written. I don't know that it should be for 8-9 yr olds. I was relieved that there was no physical violence or inappropriate language or content, although I think this could be quite a scary topic for a child.
I loved how Amy used clues in the DVDs, and got frustrated with all the missed opportunities fro
^Silvia^
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: monthly-book
There was always something happening and you were eager to read the next part.
Josephine Sorrell
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
A fast and enjoyable read!
Fourteen-year-old Amy Nordlund desperately regrets that morning she spent with her father. Because of a stupid, completely avoidable mistake she made, her dad postpones leaving for work to lecture her on responsibilities. Not only do they have an argument, but it also turns out to be the last thing she says to him, as he dies in a car accident on his way to work.

Somehow, Amy and her mother wade through the grief and guilt, and try to go on with their lives. Amy is deter
Ariana
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
The first time babysitting Kendra is the first time she will be kidnapped. Amy has all the knowledge she needs to babysit but doesn't know what to do if she gets kidnapped. Amy and Kendra try to escape but has to be very careful. Kendra at 3 is very heard to keep quiet and to make sure she doesn't cry when trying to escape. Amy has tried many many times to escape, but just hasn't had the right time or luck. So she gets in trouble when ever she gets caught and has a death threat. Kendra ahs a lit ...more
Jules Heberer
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Peg Kehret is a very well known book author or writer. Most of her books are horror or suspense. So, if you like horror and suspense, I suggest you read EVERY Peg Kehret book out there. One of my favorites of her books is the novel, "Stolen Children". The main two characters are Amy and Kendra. Amy is Kendra's new babysitter and after about 30 minutes of babysitting Kendra, she and Amy are kidnapped. To find out more information about who kidnapped Amy and Kendra, go look in your library now for ...more
Brittany
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I gave this book four stars. This rating because they gave away the ending at the beginning of the book. I liked that they got away. I didn’t like that Amy and Kendra got away in the beginning of the book. They are in the woods when they get away. This is about Amy babysitting. Her and Kendra get kidnapped when she was babysitting one after noon.
Mom2triplets04
I really enjoyed this story. It was fast paced. It's about a 3 year old who gets kidnapped along with her 15 year old babysitter. The babysitter was very smart and she had some great ideas on how to escape her kidnappers. The story takes place in only 6 days. It made me think about how people don't help others. I certainly will be looking for more books by this author.
Maddie Boerman
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books because it was about two girls that got taken away by two kidnappers and they would send videos to the parents and Amy one of the girls that was kidnapped would send clues on where they were or how they were doing.
Kayla Karangi
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Gosh. This book was literally one of the best books I've ever read! Peg Kehret really is a fantastic author. I love the mystery and the thrills the story provided. Although, I do wish that this book was longer, but this is a great book!
Logan
Sep 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Caleb Jedlicka
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jean
Mar 08, 2010 rated it liked it
An eighth grade girl and I both started to read copies of this book on Friday. She returned hers today and was thrilled to learn that she had finished it before me (If those darn kids would quit coming into the library and interrupting my reading...)At any rate, she loved the book and I was glad she took a break from her avid rereading of the (shudder) Twilight Series and enjoyed a book that was more age appropriate. I liked the book, but although it was billed as a thriller, I was never that wo ...more
Amy
Jul 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Amy has just finished her babysitting training classes when she gets a call from a Mrs. Edgerton who is in desperate need of a babysitter for her daughter, Kendra. While in the Edgerton's home, both Amy and Kendra are kidnapped by Hugh and Smokey, who used to date the Edgerton's former nanny. They are taken to a remote cabin surrounded by woods and videotaped daily. The videos are then mailed to the Edgerton's in demand for a ransom. Amy knows early-on that her best way out of this situation is ...more
Reiji1012
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is about a baby sitter and a child who got kidnapped by a stranger during day time. They used clues to get the police to notice where they were and it shows that even a small little clue is enough to let people to realise the true meaning. In this book the main character always shows her inner thought and shows it in the book.
I recommend this book to people who enjoy reading books that contain mystery and suspense, and searching out the clue as you read the story. This book is quite in
Daniela O.
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the best books i have read. I think that the other books by Peg Kehret would be good too though I haven't read them. I would recommend to basically anybody who likes mystery/horror books since it is about kidnapping. It is definitely a book that makes you want to keep on reading because that's what happened to me. Amy a 14 year old girl in my opinion is a very brave girl because she took many risky decisions just to keep the little girl she was taking care of (Kendra) safe. My ra ...more
Paige Horrie
Stolen Children is the type of book you wont want to put down! Just to give you an idea about the book it just starts out after Amy's sad background, she gets a job babysitting for sweet Kendra... On the job Amy learns that Kendra has gone missing. But wait there's more Amy goes missing also! Will they come back alive? or will it be a mystery forever? Learn about Kendra and Amy's terrifying journey when you read this thrilling book!
Sunho Oh
Jul 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Amy learned a lot in her babysitting lessons. One day Mrs. Ednor called and told her that she wanted Amy to babysit Kendra. And then Mrs.Ednor went to the hospital and thet were playing until two guys named Hugh and Smokey kidnapped them. Mrs. Ednor was sad when Kendra and Amy was gone. Hugh adn Smokey was asking where his Anut was. Amy thought of an idea what would be attrative for them.
Emily Evers
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was amazing. I gave this book a 5 out of 5 because I liked how when the two kids they were smart and tryed giving clues in the videos. When they gave clues to there families and to the cops they realized what they were doing they started looking for them. This was one of my favorite books to read.
Jeanne Lawrence
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
My students really liked this book - scary but not too scary. This author empowers her characters to solve their own problems. Hopefully none of my students will ever be kidnapped and held for ransom but they can see themselves as being resourceful and capable of escaping and saving themselves from many other problems if they read this book.
Christina Hagmann
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Engaging little book about two girls who are kidnapped and held for ransom. Amy is babysitting for a new wealthy family for the first time when two men kidnap both her and little Kendra, the girl she is babysitting for. Amy must take care of Kendra while also sneaking clues into the ransom videos to help her family find the kidnappers and bring them to justice.
Emily W
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was very dull , and quite predictable. I adore the author but this not my favorite book she has written by a far. Many of her other books are magical with many twists and turns. As much as I did not like the story line of this specific book it did however have a very good message to send out to today's generation . In the end this was not the best book I have ever read.
Aubrey Garfield
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this book was extremely well written and very descriptive. I would recommend this book to anybody who loves a little bit of mystery a whole lot of confusion and suspense. Just a warning though, it gets kind of creepy if you plan on reading it at night. LOVED THIS BOOK!!!
Sarah Bromley
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this was such a good book I love it and that is because I love scary books but if you dont like scary books I would suggest you not read this but if you are like me and you love them then I really suggest this book for you
Maggie Carr
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Not horrible but I didn't realize it was a book written for an 11 year old until 1/3 of the way though. Real life crime isn't that simple but I could see this book as entry level for kids who want to try tween/teen mysteries.
Makenna
Sep 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was Amazing! minus the whole kidnapping thing :) it was full of suspence! i couldnt put it down!
Crime/Kidnapping 2 8 Jun 03, 2019 09:48PM
Good or no good! 3 18 Apr 04, 2014 05:49PM
Slow or fast paced? 9 21 Jul 07, 2013 10:15AM
Class of 2014: Stolen Children 2 6 Jun 12, 2013 05:33PM
Class of 2014: Book Review 1 4 Jun 10, 2013 05:04PM

• Deep and Dark and Dangerous (A Ghost Story)
  • Girl, Stolen (Girl, Stolen #1)
  • The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die
  • The Abduction (Kidnapped, #1)
  • Closed for the Season
  • Took: A Ghost Story
  • The Old Willis Place
  • The Ghost of Crutchfield Hall
  • The Ghost of Graylock
  • The Body in the Woods (Point Last Seen, #1)
  • All the Lovely Bad Ones
  • The Night She Disappeared
  • Wait Till Helen Comes
  • Count All Her Bones (Girl, Stolen, #2)
  • The Raft
  • The Girl I Used to Be
  • The Stone Child
  • The Detour
Peg Kehret writes middle grade fiction and nonfiction. She's won dozens of state children's choice awards, where kids vote for their favorite book.

When she was twelve, Peg was paralyzed with polio. Most of her protagonists are the age she was then.

A volunteer with animal rescue groups, three of Peg's books are co-authored by Pete the Cat."