Start by marking “Human” as Want to Read:
Human

Human

Planet Earth: 500,000 years in the future. Humans have been extinct for millennia. Two scientists, Robert and June, have been orbiting the Earth, waiting for the planet to become habitable once more. With the help of a team of robots, they plan to start over from scratch: a new Adam and Eve who won't make the same mistakes as their ancestors. But first Robert has to find ...more
Published October 16th 2019 by Europe Comics

To ask other readers questions about Human, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Human

Start your review of Human
Václav
(3,7 for sci-fi GN with a story with greater potential than 130 pages could make use of)
Humans started to decline thanks to unspecified deterioration of environment conditions here on Earth. So few scientists decide to engage plan to human survival in the form of Project Phoenix. The plan is to wait in cryosleep on Earth's orbit until it becomes habitable again and then repopulate the Earth. 500 000 years later, when the Earth restored its condition, two leading scientists Robert and June
Elaine White
** I WAS GIVEN THIS BOOK FOR MY READING PLEASURE **
Copy received through Netgalley

~

Human, by Diego Agrimbau, Lucas Varela

144 Pages
Content Warning: extinction, dictatorship, death, slavery, off-page forced insemination

Human is a graphic novel about what humanity is capable of, the injustices we commit without thought of consequences, the depravity we're all capable of in extreme situations, and the hard truth that the world would be better off without our destructive influence.

That sounds harsh,
Tayla
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Vanessa
This book was a wild ride and not for the faint of heart. I had expectations from the premise and it "dashed them quite expertly". Set 500,000 years in the future when, hopefully, the planet has healed enough to become inhabitable two scientists plan to land their pods and become the new Adam and Eve. of course, things don't always turn out the way you plan them.

This book deals with unfulfilled expectations, for you and the characters, a bit of madness, and some pretty grotesque scenery in
Irena
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is for the Saga lovers.
The plot is on Earth 500,000 years in the future. The main protagonist Robert comes to Earth with a team of robots to find his love June ... and I guess they want to repopulate the Earth. So you have that Adam and Eve theme.
Everything goes wrong of course.

Spoiler:
(view spoiler)
Ije the Devourer of Books
I really enjoyed this sci-fi graphic novel with robots, drama and the last man on earth.

The artwork was good, all in reds, grays and dark colours which conveyed the feel of an alien yet familiar world. It is a very creative story and gripping too.

I really wanted to know what happened next. This was so good but I think there is still much more for the author to tell us, at least I hope there is more.

Copy provided by Europe Comics in exchange for an unbiased review.
-RadioactiveBookworm-
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Human is so much more than just a super interesting looking cover and a nice red aesthetic. It's the story of power, spiraling out of control. Of an ancient Earth, still living and healing long after people have deemed it uninhabitable. Human might be one of my favourite graphic novel's that I've read lately, and I think it would make a really nice addition to anyone's bookshelf, but specifically mine.

Check out my full review here!

Marco Silva
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Human (2019) is a 138-page French graphic novel written by Diego Agrimbau and illustrated by Lucas Varela. Both authors were born in Argentina. Agrimbau is a multi-awarded scriptwriter who has been creating comics since the 1990s in an array of genres, collaborating with several artists. Varela started working fulltime on comics in 2006; in 2012 he participated in a residence in Angoulême and made his entry into the Franco-Belgian market. Before reviewing this graphic novel I find it pertinent ...more
Anthony ➳ KeepReadingForward ➳
2/5
This Review was first posted on Keep Reading Forward. If you want to see more, check out our other locations as well as here.

ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is just one of the strangest graphic novel I have ever come across. I went into this thinking of one thing and the plot just went into a whole other direction. I wanted to give this a try to see what it was about. I expected some strange things, but overall, it was even stranger. Since it
Etienne
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
That was so weird! Strange story in every possible way but still good. Kind of show us how space colonization could go very wrong in a not to serious way. Science-fiction meet absurd humor. I can't say I will recommend everyone to read it, but honestly it was a fun and entertaining journey!
Dini Kamayana
This was a pretty bizarre graphic novel that I'm not quite sure I loved. I was immediately drawn in by the cover and the synopsis, which presented a pretty interesting post apocalyptic tale about returning to earth 500,000 years post death (both humanity's and Earth's). I thought that the story was well illustrated, however, the illustration style wasn't what I expected when I picked this up. I thought the color palette of reds, greys, black and white was an interesting choice though; in a way ...more
Jo-Anne
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
4/5 : “ Humans disappeared from the face of the Earth because of their selfishness, ambition, and stupidity. We have to start over from scratch. This time, we’ll get it right.”

Planet Earth is no longer inhabited by human, and humans have been extinct for over a millennia. Scientists Robert and June have tasked themselves with the mission of giving Earth a brand new start. With a team of robots, the modern day Adam and Eve set to start a new Earth despite all the possible dangers they might
Don Jimmy Reviews
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Humantakes a look at the earth half a million years into the future. The story is simple enough to begin with, a robot awakes after crash landing on earth. While mostly functioning some of the robots software has become damaged, so it does not know it's purpose. Eventually however the robot finds it's master, Robert. Robert explains that he and his wife June had place themselves in hyper sleep in orbit with the intention of returning once the earth had become inhabitable again. They essentially ...more
Wilmarie
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult
Human is about a scientist that comes out of cryosleep over 500,000 years in the future and starts doing some mad things. In it, we follow Alpha, his android, as they try to talk some sense into him and try to do the right thing.
This was a weird read as Robert does quite the crazy stuff. It was also quite gory so please keep that in mind. This is definitely an adult read.
The characters were fun. Even with his madness, Robert was quite the fun character to follow. He was truly mad and I love
Theediscerning
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Modules land on a peculiar planet, carrying a handful of cyborgs, who either can't really remember what they're about, and/or get pulled apart by the local wildlife. What their human boss/owner/builder says about their new existence is at the core of this perhaps more thoughtful sci-fi piece, which still has drama and blood and guts aplenty to keep everyone interested. With a distinctive look – all grey and shades of red – it is bound to stand out on the racks, and the plot is very different to ...more
Alexys_Tenshi
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pdf, netgalley
*I received an ARC of this from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

"Human" is one of the best graphic novel that I have read this year.
It's about a futuristic and distopic world where Alpha - a robot - is searching for answers and his memory. He discovers a "new" species - apes - and other robots (who seems they know Alpha). Meanwhile he wake up their creator Robert from a cryosleep of 500.000 years.
From now on there will be an amazing adventure.

I think Robert hasn't
Eule
trigger warning
(view spoiler)

Alpha comes to at a place she doesn't know, without memories, and finds a few fellow robots. Combining their forces, they discover a human who says he's their master - and they're on a mission.

The muted colour palette added beautifully to the atmosphere, which is very depressing.
Our protagonist bears the burden of empathy, but is able to switch that off. Also, she can disobey orders, and is made to
Sarah Z
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it

Interesting graphic novel about how our earth could look 500,000 years into the future after the earth has been allowed to recharge. Robert and June are 2 scientists with plans to revisit and live on earth and essentially repopulate it with humans. However, things don’t go according to plan and June ends up there first while Robert shows up after. Each has brought an entourage of robots with them, each
Rebecca Cook
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this from netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

This is a very fast paced read and I read in a couple of sittings over a morning. The graphics are stunning and detailed.

The story follows Alpha when her ship crash lands on earth 500,000 years into the future, hunting for other survivors and the humans who are running the mission we encounter the future inhabitants of earth.

After some excellent battle scenes we end on what seems to be a cliffhanger. I'm definitely
Vivienne
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thank you to Europe Comics for a temporary digital edition via NetGalley of ‘Human’, written by Diego Agrimbau with art by Lucas Varela, in exchange for an honest review. It was published in October.

I usually get on well with science fiction but I just found this story confusing and the concept of two humans orbiting the Earth for half a million years, even in cryosleep, strained credibility. I also didn’t like the style or colour palette of the art.

Clearly other members did enjoy it but I
Kelly
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic, netgalley
What would the Earth look like in 500,000 years? What would we do if there are only 2 of us humans left on the entire planet? What would our science look like? These questions are explored in this graphic novel in a way that reminded me a bit of Lord of the Flies, because of the human nature aspect of the storyline.

I liked the artwork en color scheme in this graphic novel a lot. The "new" world and its creatures were very simple, but combined with the story it worked quite well. This was a very
Graeme
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Far-future Earth stories, like Jack Vance's Dying Earth books, can be a lot of fun to read when the speculation is made believable or at least, super entertaining. Human's speculative science might be weak, but the entertainment and black-humor is there, along with a few problematic human-oriented actions by one of the main characters. The art for the ape species reminded me of Mike Mignola, which of course is a good thing. I hope the second volume is as fun as this one.

Reviewed for NetGalley
Theresa
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it

Human (Kindle Edition)
by Diego Agrimbau

A set of robots return to earth, it is abstractly different the world is wild and violent and changed, the robots are in danger. They find a lone human, he leads them to a corpse the lone female who arrived in this world decades before him. The lone human and the robots find that it was earth, and they are alone on the world. The art is very graphic, but would be appealing to apocalypse fans.
Vighnesh Muraly
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
I’m just going to be honest and say that this book was pretty dumb. I just found Robert really stupid and I didn’t really care for almost anything throughout the whole book. I will say that the illustrations were really nice however, I found the dialogue to be quite queer as it didn’t sound like humans speaking and the way the robots spoke were also very weird and I felt like I was hearing the same thing again and again.
Lucille
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2020
A graphic novel starring an android on a future earth, I was obligated to read that, it's definitely relevant to my interest!
I really liked the main character, a nice android trying to do her best despite the madness of her master.
It was awfully violent, more than I thought it would be, but it was a good story nonetheless. The end was maybe too easy to guess.

Read thanks to netgalley
Alan D.D.
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining story about a post-human Earth. Humanity seems to have disappeared from the planet and this, in turn, seems to be a safe environment for humans to return. However, things are not that simple, and when the plan of a man is shattered, we are shown that "humanity" can also dwell in unexpected places. Loved the moral and development, not so much the graphics, though, although I praise the audacity to show some raw images.
Flocarine
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Im an SF Lover - especially when it comes to Hard Science Fiction. Human was a great Comic, I must confess I knew from the the beginning what was the twist =). Storyline is good and I would like to know how the story will continue!

The Style is a bit retro, but that is okay!

Note 2 or B-

Thanks for letting me read this ARC, and this is my OWN opinion =)
Raven Terry
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks NetGalley for this ARC, in exchange for an honest review. Interesting story, a new take on a common dystopian theme, a bit of a twist, and honestly I have to agree with the ending based on the current state of things. I enjoyed this one, and if I hadn't reached my quota for "stand-alone" graphic novels I'd grab this one!
Lucsbooks
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved the premise of this story. I really, really loved the art and colors that were used and thought they were perfectly aligned with the tone of the story.

Honestly, I ended this graphic novel wanting all humanity to go extinct and that is my way of saying I really enjoyed it.

Thank you to NetGalley and Europe Comics for this DRC.
Stephanie
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, gn, nwa, arc
The "I Am Legend" vibes were so strong (the protagonist is even named Robert!) that I wondered if it was a retelling. Very nicely done, the art and especially the color palette set the tone of the story and the dialogue is believable. Definitely not a book that will restore anyone's faith in humanity.

I received a free ebook ARC from NetGalley.

• Les jours sucrés
  • Snug: A Collection of Comics about Dating Your Best Friend
  • At the End of Your Tether
  • Baby: A Soppy Story
  • Dewdrop
  • War and Peas: Funny Comics for Dirty Lovers
  • Les Déracinés (Renaissance, #1)
  • Interzone (Renaissance #2)
  • Le Grand Homme (Les Ogres-Dieux, #3)
  • Miss Bengalore (Le château des animaux, #1)
  • Demi-Sang (Les Ogres-Dieux, #2)
  • Les grands espaces
  • Où le regard ne porte pas...
  • Une année sans Cthulhu
  • Everything Is Beautiful, and I'm Not Afraid: A Baopu Collection
  • El Buscón en las Indias
  • Small Hours: A Mrs. Frollein Collection:
  • Un cadavre en cavale (Mort et déterré #1)