Start by marking “Letters to the Church” as Want to Read:
Letters to the Church

Letters to the Church

Millions are satisfied to sit through hour-long, weekly religious services. Millions more have left the church, brokenhearted and cynical. But God is waking up His people—people who will risk everything and sacrifice anything to become the dynamic, powerful Church seen in Scripture.

We Are Church calls Christ-followers, young and old, to hold fast to their biblical roots
Kindle Edition
Published October 2019 by David C. Cook

Start your review of Letters to the Church
Craig Turnbull
[The copy of my version has a different title, Letters to the Church, and the cover resembles the hardcover version listed in Goodreads. Hereafter I'll be referring to the work as Letters to the Church]

I'm not sure at all what to make of Francis Chan's latest offering, Letters to the Church. Described by the author as "definitely the most difficult book" he has ever written, I can see this work being a polarizing word to be sure - received by some enthusiasts, and rejected by others.

Here's his
C.H. Cobb
This is a hard book to review. What bleeds through every page is Francis Chan’s love for Christ and his desire to serve Him passionately. If there is anything Francis Chan is not, it’s lukewarm. The man pulses with a passionate desire to glorify God. Letters is personal to the point of being intimate. It is Chan’s self-disclosure of what’s been at work in his heart for the last couple decades. It’s so personal that to critique the book is inevitably to critique the author, and I shudder to think ...more
Brandon Boone
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent food for thought.

“Letters to the Church” forced me to do what every self-respecting American hates do: consider the fact that we may be wrong. In these pages, Chan challenges many of the cultural assumptions we make about church and forces us to consider God’s Word on the subject. He does so not from a place of spiritual pride, but from his own experience of falling short. This book should not be required reading for all believers (only the Bible should hold that honor), but if you’re
Jessica Hampton
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

This book challenged my way of thinking from the first sentence. All the way to the end I tried to see my church and what we could do differently.
Justin
Apr 16, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: underwhelming
I liked some things said early on in the book, but otherwise I have mixed thoughts about it. After the first few chapters, I had to set it down and go read something else. Chan seems to think the early church was way more awesome than the reality was by focusing on Acts 2-4 as the baseline to the exclusion of what was going wrong. Most people only notice the dysfunctional reality starting to hit the fan with Ananias and Saphira, and then the onset of persecution. Out of most commentators and ...more
Jeremy Bloom
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great insight on how to be the church

I would recommend this book to leaders in the church who find themselves discontent with the church in America's current condition. This book was written with experience, hope and humility.
I like how Francis Chan illustrates his points with stories and analogies. The result is a book that should be prayed through and not just read through.
Steven Robertson
Chan's style is very hyperbolic, which lends him an air of energy and enthusiasm, but also tends toward painting with a broad brush.

The book is good for encouraging a healthy view of the church and a view of the importance of the Church. The more prescriptive (which he qualifies as the way they do it, but not necessarily the only way) elements of the book are more sketchy to me.

It's not a bad book. Especially toward the end, it's less compelling (and borderline condescending), but it's still a
JMcMenemy
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worth the read

A moving book that will cause one to radically look at their own walk with Jesus and to additionally examine the purpose of Church and the role we have in making disciples of Jesus.
Elliot Cameron
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
American church needs to hear; could have been more compelling

All in all, I think Christian leaders in America should read this book, or at least get a summary of the points. Chan accurately diagnoses real problems with a large portion of American Christian expression. He makes you think and question if our traditional understanding really is Biblical and offers some pretty convincing Biblical data to show that it's usually not.

I can't wholeheartedly recommend this to every Christian, though.
Ray Zoller
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Essential and Timely Message for me and, I Think, The Church

I read "Letters to the Church" and for some reason, Goodreads is referring to it as "We Are Church" - I suppose they'll sort that out but if you decide to read it, look for "Letters to the Church."

I attend a multi-campus megachurch. A couple of months ago, our local community campus closed and we've been trying to re-acclimate to a larger campus farther away. We're still called to this church but we're also still in community with
Moises Godinez
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compelling, Inspired & Challenging

Pastor Francis Chan does an excellent job of presenting his understandings about what the Church should be according to Scripture. He points out shortcomings in the Church in a loving and caring manner that should challenge us to reevaluate our current methods. He also challenges us as individuals within the body. Are we building up the body using our gifts or are we depending on the gifts of a few? Are we causing division or promoting unity in the church?
Jonathan Johnson
Great book

This book is the gold standard
It is not about having a big or a small church, but about being fulfilled from the simple pillars of Christianity:
Fellowship, discipleship, bible reading, love of suffering, and prayer (I add fasting)
Unfortunately, it seems like human nature to become complacent
This is not a book to convert people to Christianity, but a book to challenge already Christians to live lives that are more simple but yet more fulfilled that are easily distinguishable from a
David
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Convicting and inspiring

Chan as usual writes with an infectious conviction. He loves to root all of his ideas in the Bible, and does not mince words where he sees himself or the church falling short. Some of the issues he discusses deserve more depth than he gave them. The ending of the book would be better if he had taken some time to discuss issues or challenges with his proposed church model. Several important questions occurred to me that were not even mentioned.

Still he is not pushy with
Suzanne Tegart
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Hard but Necessary Word

I bought this book after seeing Francis Chan speak on the same topic. I have become disillusioned myself after attending church for 40 years and being a Christian just as long. The question of why our modern churches don't resemble the church I read about in Acts always made me question but the older I get the less satisfied I am with the pat churchy answers. This book at once gave voice to the questions I'm still wrestling with and challenged me to ask myself why I
Joel Howard
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A challenging and powerful personal read.

This book helps me come to terms with how I have wrestled with church and the Christian community. If you pick up this book I hope you see yourself as I saw myself. I read this book with the perspective of me being apart of the Church. With that perspective, I hear Francis writing to me, asking me to help and seek all that the Church can be, and in that help others by a means of example. Not by a voice from above but a voice from the trenches working
Mike Smith
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Letters to the Church. Two things I detest; change and the way things are! Leave the work of the Spirit to God. Work where he’s working. Be a humble Servant in a face of arrogance even

You’ve got to give this idea a great nome. Older people need to ask “is this (current church) want we want to pass on to the next generation? Really? Part of it perhaps, but not the whole. We’ve messed it up pretty badly over the past 500 years. Let the young innovate and bring energy. Let the old pass on wisdom.
Jeff Whittum
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ecclesiology
Great book. Parts of it are difficult to relate to if you are not currently operating as (or transitioning to) a house church. But I found all the challenges offered to the church in general to be good and godly ones. I have used this book as a template for a Sunday School series at the church I pastor and I think it has been very fruitful. I would like to give it 4.5 stars, but that's not an option and I just didn't think it was quite a 5. Still, another great offering to the church by a man ...more
Angela R Fairbanks
A must read, and one that I will immediately re-read.

Beyond that, this is one of those books that I believe will also demand great introspection- and action. The church needs this conversation. Not to use it as weapons to fire at one another or at leaders, but a place for us to humbly start with examining ourselves and then asking the Holy Spirit how He would have us change and respond personally. This is a book for the humble. For those open to change. For those who want to please God more than
Luke Seibert
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Overall, I thought this was a very thought provoking read. The consumerism of the American Church is quite sobering, and we should not think that "our way" of "doing church" is the only way. However, I think Chan promotes small house churches (under 20 people) as the best alternative to mega churches without offering any middle-of-the-road options. I would probably say that if the book is read with this in mind, it could be a great starting point to begin considering how to help shape the church ...more
Beth Wiegand
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Challenging, convicting, a breathe of fresh air.

The challenges in this book provoke the Christian to expect more from church, but not in what they consume from the church but what they live out as the church. We have settled into a sense of complacency and expect our time at church to be pleasing to us, when in fact our time as the church should be pleasing to God.
Praying that God uses these words to challenge us to be more Christ like and never settle for anything less than God's best for the
Lonzie Williams
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

This is a great read for the anyone finding themselves searching to more of God in the earth than what they are seeing in the buildings we label as “church”. We are the church and we should/must live our lives as such so that others can SEE God!
I recommend this book to every pastor over the age of thirty that is looking for ways of restoring the love of God in the heart of people.
Paula Richards
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for all believers

If you are beginning to feel restless or frustrated with church; if you find yourself questioning some of the things that go on in your church; if you feel stagnant or you have lost your zeal for church; perhaps you have become bored with church; or you have recently been saying 'God, surely there must be more to church than this!'; then this book will bring you the clarity you need.
Diane
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written by a former California mega-church pastor turned overseas missionary, this book consists of a series of chapters addressing the author's concerns about the American church. The book is more abstract than most Christian works, but I think the author does a good job of addressing the problems in a way that will resonate for years to come. He calls the church away from a model based on growth and entertainment and to one that is based on following Jesus despite hardship.
Luis Jimenez
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful and love-filled message

What should a church actually look like? This is a bold message that pastors and laypeople need to hear. It will challenge you to question your own motives for even attending church, but especially if you are a leader. At many points I felt convicted to stop reading and do something. Glad to say it didn’t stop with the conviction and actually led me to step out and do something about what I was reading.
Kimberly Van Diepen
Whoa! Fantastic Book

There is so much goodness wrapped in this book. Francis Chan gets to the point concerning the struggles in the church backed with scripture throughout. I found myself belting out many “amen’s” as I read. Most important was recognizing my own sin throughout my reading.
Becky Miller
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reformation Revival

Overall, I liked the book. I'm a big fan of Francis Chan. I loved reading about his rediscovery. I too experienced my own reformation revival, so I can relate; however, there were times I felt the book lacked the fierce passion I believed Francis was endeavoring to get across.
Matthew Sawyer
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hello!

This book is such a strong and needed word for the Church of America today. I wanted to stop reading a few times but am glad I didn’t. I want to get back to what God wants in the local church. Goodness gracious do we need an awakening and renewal in this country. Lord raise up bold leaders to fight for Your Kingdom agenda.
Tony Fraley
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being the Church

My heart has been reflecting on the New Testament Church model for some time. This book has been a great reminder of the model that helped Christianity explode in the 1st Century. Chan has done a great job reflecting on what Scripture shows us. It’s given me much to consider and to pray about.
I’m probably going to read this again in the near future.
James L. Bevins
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Letters to ME

Francis Chan is a wonderful communicator and this book is no exception. His in depth look at the early church model is sobering to me, and I found myself repenting after almost every chapter. My heart is encouraged and refreshed as I recommit myself to serving others as Christ has demonstrated for us. You need this book.
Jaclyn A.
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Redefines the Church as WHO rather than WHAT

This book challenges us to question whether we are going through the man made motions of religion or truly living with God as our only reference for living in the Spirit. Chan offers a refreshing and biblically sound definition of the Church. Be ready to rethink tradition versus truth.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Irresistible: Reclaiming the New that Jesus Unleashed for the World
  • Something Needs to Change: A Call to Make Your Life Count in a World of Urgent Need
  • How to Be Filled with the Holy Spirit
  • When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty without Hurting the Poor...and Yourself
  • Walking with God through Pain and Suffering
  • Disruptive Witness
  • Beautiful Outlaw: Experiencing the Playful, Disruptive, Extravagant Personality of Jesus
  • Emotionally Healthy Spirituality: It's Impossible to Be Spiritually Mature, While Remaining Emotionally Immature
  • Abba's Child: The Cry of the Heart for Intimate Belonging
  • Finally Free: Fighting for Purity with the Power of Grace
  • Radical Together
  • Microchurches: A Smaller Way
  • An Unhurried Life: Following Jesus' Rhythms of Work and Rest
  • How to Pray: A Simple Guide for Normal People
  • Developing Female Leaders: Navigate the Minefields and Release the Potential of Women in Your Church
  • All Things New: Heaven, Earth, and the Restoration of Everything You Love
  • Suffering Is Never for Nothing
Francis Chan is an American pastor and teacher, who lives in California with his wife, Lisa, and their four children. He is the former pastor of Cornerstone Community Church in Simi Valley, CA, which he and his wife started in 1994.
“Contrary to popular belief, we are all called to pastor (a word that simply means “shepherd”). Older women are to shepherd the younger (Titus 2:3–5). Parents are to shepherd their children (Eph. 6:4). Timothy was told to teach others what he himself had been taught (2 Tim. 2:2). We’re all called to be making disciples (Matt. 28:19–20). If you can’t find a single person who looks to you as a mentor, something is wrong with you.” 3 likes
“I would much rather hire someone who prayed and did nothing else than someone who worked tirelessly without praying.” 2 likes