Start by marking “Final Fantasy XV: The Dawn of the Future” as Want to Read:
Final Fantasy XV: The Dawn of the Future

Final Fantasy XV: The Dawn of the Future

A volume of all-new, character-driven stories expanding on the world of the hit video game Final Fantasy XV. This deluxe, hardcover edition includes full-color inserts featuring concept art and exclusive content.

To oppose the gods or yield to fate?

That is the question confronting each of the characters in The Dawn of the Future. Ardyn, having saved countless lives from the
hardcover, 400 pages
Published July 14th 2020 by Square Enix Books (first published April 25th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Final Fantasy XV, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Fantasy XV

Start your review of Final Fantasy XV: The Dawn of the Future
Bitchie
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Caleb M.
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I know that Final Fantasy XV is divided among fans of the series. But this game is extremely special. I loved it. I could fight and argue over the things you didn't like about it, which I don't mind doing in a respectful way, but no matter what this game will always be special to me. And this book in tandem is too.

The last DLC to reach the game was episode Ardyn, with 3 more DLC's getting cancelled Square decided to release a book to give everything an....extended ending I guess you could call i
Kate
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never enough

The bane of being a final fantasy fan is that we always want more. I’m happy to leave the mechanics to the game developers, but the story has to be fantastic. I wish that the dlc for Luna had been released. I was satisfied with the ending provided to me originally, and now I want more. I adore that this story has been translated into English, and that the concept art is included in both the digital and physical format. The stories made me want more, wishing I had the ability to play
Xia ✻.
5 broken heart stars

"Yet in spite of this, I would remain with you all. To the very end.”

Final Fantasy XV is not my favorite game of all time, but it has a very important place in my heart, if not the most important.

I’ve been following the development of the game since 2006 when the first trailer came out, and it wasn’t called “Final Fantasy XV” yet. I waited, and waited, and when it finally released, I went straight to play it after many years of a game-slump.

I remember the game having
Eric Allen
Oct 07, 2020 rated it liked it
This fills in a lot of the blanks in the Final Fantasy XV story, and goes through what the stories of the cancelled DLC packs were going to be. The problem is that it's not terribly well written. I think at least some of the blame for that can be placed on the translation. Japanese does not translate very well to English, or so I've heard. At the end of the day, though, I enjoyed it for what it is. Although, it should be noted that if you need a 5 episode anime series, a DLC pack in addition to ...more
Jon
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nice conclusion. *Spoiler alert*

As a fan of the game, I liked how we got to see how the dlcs would have concluded the story. I personally am very satisfied with the ending, its much like ffvii remake in that fate can be changed. My only criticism is the emphasis on defying your faith, but which I think makes sense when you realize the head of hexatheon is the God of war. Regardless, spoiler alert, I'm happy some characters know love and have babies, even if its just fanservice.
rachael ♡
May 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, adult, gaming
Necessary reading for all fans of this game. It’s perfect ✨
Juan Gallardo Ivanovic
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
True King’s Legacy
After trial and error, Square Enix (S-E) has provided a satisfying ending to FF XV story, not without of some controversies and game planning decisions that were cut from main game and forthcoming DLC’s.
----- COMMENTARY MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS-----
Well, some people say that DLC are exactly what we don’t need in games, as much of a game content is now expanded by this way of working. Some companies (Ubisoft, EA, among others, mainly) use this method to also increase their revenues
Charlotte
Jul 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
I... surprisingly enjoyed this book! When I started reading Final Fantasy XV: The Dawn of the Future, I went in feeling skeptical. My relationship with novels based from video game series' has been rough and bumpy over the years, so I had mild expectations. I am so glad I was wrong!

Final Fantasy XV: The Dawn of the Future, features four stories that were supposed to be included as additional playable DLC in Final Fantasy XV: Episode Ardyn, Episode Arenea, Episode Luna, and Episode Noctis.
Unfortu
Nathalie
Jan 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-reads
Final Fantasy XV was a game and franchise I was never really interested in, but I got the game gifted to me, after which I played it and fell in love with it anyway.

The game itself went through development hell, and changed stories and concepts multiple times so much that the initial trailers have nothing to do with how the actual game turned out. The story therefore, lacks a bit in some places. I do however really love the character work which makes me more easily forgive those.

The game had two
Collin Greenwood
Dec 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Eitan
Sep 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Probably is one of the best books about videogames that I have the pleasure to read. The Dawn of the Future deserved five stars, but I won't give it that rating. Why?

If the game would have this story, this pov (and everything from Dawn of the Future), Final Fantasy would have been a far better videogame. This is the way that it suppose to happen and end everything!

I'm not gonna make spoilers, but it is so well written that I enjoy everything, even when sometimes it feels too slow, the book know
Lisa
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really was a huge Fan of the Final Fantasy XV universe.
First I would not recommend reading this book if you have not played the Game Final Fantasy XV and its four DLC Episodes.
The book is written really well, the Author captured the characters personalities on point.
I have got nothing bad to say about the Authors writing style.
But - like 80% of the time reading this book it felt like I was reading fanfiction.
I must admit, that I feel kind of betrayed by Square Enix. The first part of the book
On the Same Page
This book is a companion to the Final Fantasy XV game and is meant as a replacement for the additional downloadable content they were planning but ended up not releasing.

While you can technically read this without playing the game (the book starts with a summary of the game's events to bring you up to speed), I can't imagine there'll be much emotional attachment to the characters without having that experience.

The book has four parts and the focus is on a different character for each one. In pa
Pamela Gudobba
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Is it well written? Not particularly, but the content it provides FAR outweighs that. Knowing that this is the *true* ending to FFXV is so painful. I wish they hadn’t given up on this game, because this DLC would have fixed all of the problems people had story-wise. I’m so upset we had to get this through a book rather than through the game as they had intended.
Kai
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love it! I love learning more about Ardyn, Aranea, and Lunafreya. The stories are so great and I love the ending. Overall I love it!
Jaime
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
As a fan of the game, this book was absolutely amazing! A different ending of the game made the book unpredictable and introduced a couple of new characters that would've been introduced through the DLC's that were cancelled.
Just loved it. I would recommend this for every Final Fantasy XV fan!!
Jessica
Feb 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Hi, my name is Jessica, and I’m a FFXV-obsessed fangirl. I’d wager a guess that you’re also a fan – maybe even a super-fan – if you’re interested enough to read this review.

Either that, or you’re a friend who clicked the link in partial disbelief, just to confirm that I have, in fact, come out of my self-imposed Goodreads hibernation.

Hi.

That title I gave myself at the start – FFXV-obsessed fangirl – is one I embrace, and wear with pride. Games, books, sound tracks, movies, animated episodes…I ha
Michele Reinhart
A good ending to the Final Fantasy XV story.

This really should have been the dlc that it was meant to be but this is still a really good ending to the story.
Kenra
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Final Fantasy XV: Dawn of the Future is a post-game release to the video game: Final Fantasy XV that was released in 2016. So I would advise to anyone who has not played the game to do that first before reading the book. Not only because it will provide better context for the book, but also because it's just an amazing video game that I'm totally biased towards.

The game's original ending was one of tragedy, and the Development Team had plans to release additional content episodically that would
Craig
Nov 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I've been a bit of a Final Fantasy fan since I was young. I've played most of the games now, including FFXV. I enjoyed the game, and was disappointed when the remaining DLC was cancelled. When I found out it was being turned into a novel, I was pleased to finally see how it ended. I wasn't disappointed!

It's been translated from Japanese, but it isn't incredibly obvious which is the sign of a good translation. The story was interesting, and has me even more disappointed that the DLC was cancelled
Alger Law
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Zac Clark
Oct 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Venesa
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
Amanda Bartoszek
Aug 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was so disappointed when Episodes Aranea, Lunafreya, and Noctis were cancelled. But this book has provided the stories in their stead, and is worth the read.

The stories are each well-written and descriptive. They are full of information, answering many questions that were never directly explained in the actual game. It also draws on many references within the game itself, including features players may have overlooked or forgotten, until you see it in the book and go 'oh yeah!'

Obviously Episod
Deanna Troy
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Oh My God.

I went into this book with high expectations. Everything I've read this year has disappointed me in some way -- The Rise of Skywalker novelisation turned out to be a bland transcript of the film, my uni books read like I was chewing on cardboard. I've been waiting for The Dawn of the Future to come out since its English release was announced. And then it was delayed, and delayed again. Part of me started to lose hope.

But then... it finally arrived in the mail. (Because, you know, COVI
Kristin
Dec 26, 2020 rated it liked it
As much as I love FFXV, after reading this I have to agree with the majority of the gamer community that if you need this much DLC, plus an anime, and extra books to explain everything and try to patch holes and fix your story, then you should probably stop and rethink your entire storyline...instead of trying to milk it for a cash grab.

The very last story should have been in the original game as the canon ending. There was no reason to break it up into so many different DLC (then short stories
Pamela Kalimukwa
Feb 19, 2021 rated it liked it
I am torn over how I feel about this book, I both love it and hate it.
We'll start with the love, I think the story, or the concept of it, is really good. I wouldn't call it well thought through though.
(view spoiler)
Rebeca F.
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's so hard to write a review about Dawn of the future, because it's very much like the game, so I think it's impossible to review it merely considering its literary merits, specially if you are a fan of the game. So first I have to say I am, a fan of the game, in spite of the bumpy road, the shattered expectations and the endless wait with messy results, overall, I think Final Fantasy XV is a wonderful creation, and I mean this considering everything that was released to mend the original game ...more
Stephen Romney
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book contains the story of Final Fantasy XV's cancelled second wave of post-game DLC that was supposed to begin with Episode Ardyn before the game's director, Hajime Tabata, left Square-Enix. Thus, all of the concepts and story were handed off to Jun Eishima, who converted them into this novel, which was translated into English by Stephen Kohler.

With that in mind, it's best to read this novel after having beaten the original game, since a lot of beats and "twists" only make sense if you kno
« previous 1 3 next »

• Final Fantasy VII: On the Way to a Smile
  • Norse Mythology
  • Matilda
  • Final Fantasy VII: Lateral Biography TURKS ~The Kids Are Alright~
  • Final Fantasy XV Prologue Parting Ways
  • Clap When You Land
  • From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash, #1)
  • The Princess Diarist
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
  • A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1)
  • The Cement Garden
  • Foundryside (The Founders Trilogy, #1)
  • Alice in Wonderland