Start by marking “The Fox's Curse (Crow Investigations, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Fox's Curse (Crow Investigations, #3)

The Fox's Curse

(Crow Investigations #3)

A cursed Fox. A vengeful Silver. A whole lot of trouble…

Lydia Crow has long suspected there is more beneath London than just trains, but has never been keen to poke around in the dark. But when Paul Fox, powerful member of the Fox Family, blackmails her into taking a case, she has no choice.

Investigating a suspicious death in a disused tunnel of the London Underground
Published November 26th 2019 by Siskin Press Limited

To ask other readers questions about The Fox's Curse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fox's Curse

Start your review of The Fox's Curse (Crow Investigations, #3)
Alix Thomazi
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
I still enjoyed the writing style and the main characters in this one, but it left me with a bitter taste. I think my issue with this book was that there was no "win" for the main character. I get that this is part of a series and that she will probably solve lots of those issues in the next instalment, but readers need to feel like the MC is winning at least a little bit. The entire book just felt like failures, betrayals, disappointments and attacks piled on top of each other. It didn't give m ...more
Taida
Hmm, I have to say this was spotty at best and the story progressed poorly. What has bothered me about these books is that there was a great set up during the beginning and then a rush of information at the end that doesn’t quite live up to the previous build up. In other words, the denouement was boring followed by an abrupt end that I guess is supposed to wet your appetite for more but just left me saying “huh?” Don’t think I will be reading anymore. The characters outside of Lydia and Jason ( ...more
Mrs Georgina
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this series

I'd recommend this series to anyone who loves Benedict Jacka, Benjamin Aaronovitch, Genevieve Cogman, Paul Cornell etc. Its a bit tougher and more "edgy" than the Rivers of London series (in my opinion) but it has the same great creation of a complex, contemporary fantasy world behind everyday normality, a protagonist with a sense of humour and a great developing plot that continues throughout each story. I really like the variety of characters, and the fact that I really can't p
Asia
May 02, 2020 rated it liked it
It felt as though the book was writen in two halfs: the first 90% was taking it's time, laying out details, and the last 10% felt like Sarah was trying to cram in as much action as possible. I was wondering how the cases where going to be solved with such little of the book left, turns out they get anti-climatic endings.
The grammar errors seemed to have died down a lot since book two and the plot still keeps you guessing; a lot of secrets are revelaed and not just those belonging to the Crows.
Nancy McFadden
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Just another chapter in a story

I like books that begin and end. This one carries on nicely from the previous book in the series, but it doesn't go anywhere. She's a little farther along on her Crow journey than she was before, but there are probably 5 more books in the series - and they aren't really novels; they're just chapters.

So thanks, Sarah Painter, but I'm out. I love a good trilogy, but these books aren't that.
Melissa  Izquierdo
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous addition to the series!

I am a huge Sarah Painter fan. I was surprised and hesitant when she switched genres to urban paranormal. I didn't need to worry this is a terrific series.

In this third installment, the main character continues to evolve as she tries to determine her place as a Crow. The relationships between her and Fleet also evolves and changes along with her circumstances.

The book ends on kind of a cliffhanger and I can't wait for book 4.

Highly recommend for all lovers of a s
Mai
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
4+. I loved this book. Reading it was like slipping easily back into the world of Foxes, Crows and Silvers as if I'd never left. It moved me along happily within all of its twists and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Natasha
Feb 29, 2020 rated it liked it
I'd really give this on 3.5 stars. The writing is still good as is the world building, you really do want to find out how it all comes together. The story has moved along though there are gaps, largely because for a detective, Lydia manages to avoid asking questions that would give the reader some understanding of motivation or flesh out other personalities. From the first novel the similarities to Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers series are evident. Fleet does resemble Peter Grant except for the musici ...more
Karen Taylor
Oct 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Of the four books in this series, I found this one to be the strongest. Our protagonist, Lydia Crow, is still making erratic and generally poor decisions, but the world-building was very pleasant. Not at the level of a Ben Aaranovich, but better than her previous books.

Where the author continues to fail me is in whether I should care about her main character, Lydia Crow, or accept her as a psychopath who only uses people (and ghosts) to her own ends - whatever they may be. I felt it particularly
A.M.
May 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, i-own
Lydia Crow owes Paul Fox a favour, and he’s calling it in. Given she can sense the presence of members of each family, he wants her to go down into the Underground tunnels and find a missing Fox. She does sense him, but the man is dead. He’s also a ghost that takes to riding around on the trains.
The more she tries to convince her now boyfriend, Fleet the copper, that she isn’t attracted to Paul, the more time she has to spend with Paul, and all those old feelings resurface. Plus, Foxes are earth
R.J. Corgan
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Plot Thickens...
The world of Lydia Crow is starting to become much more complicated indeed.

In this third installment of Crow Investigations, we're able to explore the ghostly side of London - and I hope we get to learn more! Indeed, much of the book appears to be setting up for more closure in the fourth book, as while this book involves the investigation of a single case, as we follow along the rest of the world Sarah Painter has built tries to elbow its way in. While the first two books ha
Mr Alexander
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book and couldn't put it down. The main character is engaging and interesting and the world is fascinating and opened up jut a little but more with this book. BUT as with the previous two volumes I was seriously underwhelmed by the ending. The maguffin-ish mystery that kicks the book off is solved almost off the page, mainly by one of the supporting characters - although Lydia facilitated this, and then the book just goes on to set up the larger story to be continue ...more
Katie
Aug 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: mc-dislike
Hmm... this series is going off the boil a bit for me.

I enjoyed the storyline in the first two books but this one was a bit meh and some inconsistencies are developing vs. the earlier books. Paired with this I’m feeling an increasing dislike of the main character. Lydia gets obsessed with solving mysteries and will use anyone to achieve her goals - her main squeeze (who she uses for sex and inside information), best friend (who she ignores unless she wants something) and ghost companion (who sh
Catriona Taylor
Mar 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Better than the first. On parr with the second. Lots of fannying around and a rush of action all in a few chapters at the end.
Still cant get a handle on the main gal or tell you what she looks like.
Great set up for the next book, as with a lot of series these days seems to be scene setting for the big finale story and the plot of each novel is an aside
An annoying amount of thing left unresolved which is an obvious attempt to get you to read the next book, which I will cause I have to know

An ea
BRT
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: series, nook
In this third in the series, Lydia is still attempting to discover the mystery behind her resident ghost's death, stay out of her Family crime/magic business while living in a Family owned building, and balance her burgeoning detective business with a not-sure-if-she-wants-in relationship with a police detective. None of which is helped along by the job she takes with the scion of the rival Fox Family or the vendetta a member of the Silver Family has against her; not to mention the appearance of ...more
Melissa
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing

The book ends on kind of a cliffhanger and I can't wait for book 4.

Highly recommend for all lovers of a sense
Well constructed urban parano
Mrs E A Noblett
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing read, cliffhanger of an ending

Read this in one sitting, excellent read. This book continues the story of Lydia Crow but not spoilers here! Well written and nicely paced, we learn a little bit more about the hidden magic in London. You could read this as a stand alone but it would be best to read the first two books of the series just so that you fully understand the plot. Well worth the read.
Jane Pennington
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was so happy to see that the Foxes Curse had been released. I've enjoyed the 2 predecessors so much, and couldn't wait for this one. I read it in a couple of days, I had to consciously slow myself down and linger over the story. It was wonderful, I felt that Lydia goes from strength to strength and her complicated love life doesn't get any less complicated. There's a cliff hanger ending and a promise from the author that #4 is underway. I cannot wait!
Lisa
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love thus series

This entry felt very short. Maybe I just inhaled it because it was so good, though it felt more novella-like overall.
Our female main character takes our hand and intimately pulls us in for a series entry largely dedicated to her growth. The story of this ancient group of magical families deepens, with intrigue after intrigue. Her romantic relationship evolves. Lot of growth. But there is a strong possibility of betrayal too.
Nick
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was good again.... But...

First, I really like this series. A likeable protagonist, a fine supporting cast, an intriguing premise with a backstory / history being gradually revealed.
But. I am beginning to slightly sympathise with those readers who criticise the books as more chapters than self contained, related stories.
This latest instalment did not really take us anywhere new and there are only so many times that can happen...
Jean Curran
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm so in love with the Crow Investigations series...have actually read this book (#3) twice in a row now... Its just that good! Sarah Painter is akin to a conjurer...plucking magical characters into believable being and taking us to a fantasy worldscape which feels as real as the gritty city dust beneath our feet. The only problem is that I am not entirely sure how I am going to survive the wait for the next book in the series.
Leonie
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Someone on here commented that these books are like chapters, and I agree. If the next book in the series was out I would read it - they are quick, easy reads with enough to keep me interested despite some of the things I find annoying - but as the next isn’t published yet, well, I doubt I will be invested enough to bother when it does. If the whole series was out I would zip through it, but this is probably the last I’ll see of Crow Investigations.
Katja
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Omg, I loved The Fox’s Curse, this 3th book in this Crow Investigation series! I can’t wait for book 4!
If you loved the previous 2, you are in for a treat!
It’s like a new addiction, you’ll just want more of it! I know I do! Sarah Painter is on a roll and I hope she will treat us soon with her next book in this epic series of hers!
Thank you Sarah Painter, I think I am just going to read them all over again! They are that good!
Áine
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lydia grows up

Really enjoyed this instalment of the series, we see more Fleet and Jason and a host of other characters. I’m looking forward to where this series will lead next. The tantalising idea that there are more than four Families is still being dangled deliciously in front of us.
Claire Hollick
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such an engaging series

I love the Crow Investigations books, the plot twists and turns, there are hints of things to unfurl that I can’t wait to find out about. The characters are very real and I can empathise with them; I want Lydia to win. Also, I have a big crush on Fleet. Next book please Sarah Painter!
Dael
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Interesting world, but I wish the protagonist was as in to it as I am; things seem to drag (in this and the prior novels) bc Lydia doesn’t seem willing to ask questions of key informants about her past, family powers, ongoing relations btwn major parties, etc. (Cf. Rivers of London). It’s all a bit frustrating, even as I like it overall, and look forward to the next.
Sue Gill
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Absolutely BRILLIANT!!
Bring the Fox and Silver family further into the story. More of Fleet, Emma and Jason.
Include family politics, intrigue and directive mystery along with a healthy dose of humour.
I'm loving this female lead London based urban fantasy mystery series.
Cant wait for the next one, the ending was a wonderful cliff hanger.
Jennjiro
Apr 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Please, someone, buy this author a thesaurus. Three books in and every single type of women's shirt is 'silky'. Every drink of anything at all is a 'slug of ...'. Seemingly 'copper' is the only word for 'police officer' that she knows. I understand writing in the voice of your character, but this just seems like lazy editing, honestly.
Mrs Marie McFadzean
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great story. Great characters

I have read all three of the books and I am really looking forward to reading what comes next. The books are well written, engaging and leave you looking to read more. For me it has all the right stuff, mystery, thriller and characters you care about. Hopefully the next book will be ready soon.
Alastair Deacon
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great series and its hotting up!

You know when you read a book on the chance that it might be ok, well I really hit the jackpot on the Lydia Crow series! Urban fantasy with a great set of central characters and plot lines that has kept me turning the pages on my kindle app all the way to the end. Brilliant, read it.
« previous 1 3 next »

• French Leave (A King's Watch Story Book 4)
  • Eight Kings (The King's Watch #6)
  • The Seventh Star (The King's Watch #7)
  • Ring of Troth (A King's Watch Story #3)
  • Tenfold (The King's Watch #4)
  • Nine of Wands (The King's Watch #5)
  • The 12 Dragons of Albion (The King's Watch, #2)
  • Wings over Water (A King's Watch Story #2)
  • The Eleventh Hour (The King's Watch #3)
  • Phantom Stag (A King's Watch Story, #1)
  • The Book of Betrayal (The Last Oracle, #5)
  • The Book of Havoc (The Last Oracle, #6)
  • The 13th Witch (The King's Watch, #1)
  • The Book of Mayhem (The Last Oracle, #3)
  • The Book of War (The Last Oracle, #8)
  • The Book of Harmony (The Last Oracle, #7)
  • The Book of Lies (The Last Oracle, #4)
  • Another Place to Die (Tom Morton #2)
Sarah Painter's novels span contemporary fiction with a touch of magic to historical fiction mixed with psychological thriller. Yes, she finds it difficult to stick to one genre!

Her bestselling debut novel, The Language of Spells, introduced the quirky town of Pendleford, and was followed by a sequel, The Secrets of Ghosts and a prequel novella, The Garden of Magic.

Sarah's latest novel, In The Li

Crow Investigations (4 books)
  • The Night Raven (Crow Investigations #1)
  • The Silver Mark (Crow Investigations, #2)
  • The Pearl King (Crow Investigations, #4)