Start by marking “A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone, #1)

A Touch of Darkness

(Hades & Persephone #1)

Persephone is the Goddess of Spring by title only. The truth is, since she was a little girl, flowers have shriveled at her touch. After moving to New Athens, she hopes to lead an unassuming life disguised as a mortal journalist.

Hades, God of the Dead, has built a gambling empire in the mortal world and his favorite bets are rumored to be impossible.

After a chance encoun
Published June 20th 2019 by Scarlett St. Clair (first published May 25th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about A Touch of Darkness, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jade Just after Demeter found Persephone and Hades in bed, in her their flat. Lexa was there, and heard everything behind Persephone's chamber door.

Start your review of A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone, #1)
jessica
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
uh oh. someone please admit me into rehab because i am A D D I C T E D.

i started this last night, just wanting to read a couple of chapters before bed. and the next thing i knew, it was 2.30am and my eyes were glued to each page. i swear this book is a drug, with each chapter feeling like taking hit. i just couldnt put it down.

this is far from perfect. the writing is nothing too special and the world building is a little lacking, but goodness me. this story is exactly what i needed. fellow moo
Arini
Jul 25, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Readers are bound to get hyped because of the Hades & Persephone reference, and had the cover not been updated, it would lead to false expectations. Hence, you should be informed that this book is a smutty urban fantasy loose retelling of the King and Queen of Hell. In other words, it’s the perfect escape for a guilty pleasure read should you ever need one. I mean, who doesn’t?

Hades was delicious. It’s Persephone I had a problem with, or rather this version of Persephone. She was, um, annoying.
Hailee
May 04, 2020 rated it liked it
(for now this is a 3.5 rounded down) i just want to make it clear that i really enjoyed this!!! i read it very quickly and found myself laughing out loud alongside the characters at certain points. even though some aspects were very cliche, i felt that it worked with the story and was still extremely enjoyable. however, i wish there were more in depth descriptions of the appearances of the characters and more elaboration on some of the side characters. although i liked reading this quite a bit, ...more
Helena of Eretz ✰
For the record, I had NO intention of giving this such a high rating when I went into it. I don't even know how this happened. This little gem snuck up on me and I fell head over heels for it. It was SO ADDICTING and I'm completely in love with this series!!!

Hades was the wonderful Hades that I've always been enamoured and intrigued by. Persephone, on the other hand, took me a bit longer to appreciate. She wasn't the immediately as strong and fierce as I knew her to be. Rather, she was initially
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk

”They say Hades is protective of his realm, and while that is true, it isn’t about power.
He cares for his people, protects them, and he takes it personally if anyone is harmed.
If you belong to him, he will tear the world apart to save you.”

Story 🌟🌟
-A Hades and Persephone retelling with a modern touch

While reading the book I was
- really bored
- and sad because I love Persephone and Hades story but this isn’t what i expected.
- realized that I definitely had too high expectations, sh*t

Character
Tani
May 05, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Hades and Persephone- say no more.
bee  ˘͈ᵕ˘͈
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
four point five stars ∗ god(s) i love greek mythology retellings.

hades and persephone have easily been some of my favorite figures when it comes to greek mythology, pretty much ever since i first read ‘percy jackson’ in the fourth grade and then took it upon myself to read and learn almost everything i could surrounding the mythology. i know there are a lot of ‘sources’ claiming hades to have kidnapped her and makes their relationship seem toxic, but there are others that say persephone knew wha
Anna lost in stories *A*
when I finished this one, my gut wanted to give it 5 stars… but logic prevailed ;) don't get me wrong, there were definitely some 5 stars worthy moments… for sure some that left me all hot and bothered… *fans myself* ;) and I did inhaled it in like a day, so there’s that… ;) but in the end I decided on 4 stars… my rating may change in the future, because I know I will want to reread this book before I continue with the rest of the story… no worries, this one doesn’t end on a cliffhanger, more li ...more
☆taylor☆
I’m very sad to say I’m pretty disappointed with this book.

I feel like the problem is that it lures you in with the premise of an unique and creative modern day retelling of Persephone and Hades (which sounds amazing btw if there actually is a good version of this please let me know) but it really just is a cliche billionaire romance with Greek god characters.

*the following is very spoiler heavy*

Everything that I deeply deeply disliked:

A Too-Stupid-To-Live heroine
- Persephone is mind-blowingly
Ashlee » Library In The Country
Tantalizing and rich and sensual and absolutely gripping.

Whew, yeah. *fans self* This one was good. I've always been drawn to stories that have elements of Hades and Persephone, but this is the first book I've read that is actually about those characters themselves, albeit with a modern spin to the story.

And let me tell you, after just a few chapters I was completely hooked and didn't want to put it down. The banter between all of the characters in this book is funny and witty. I love the d
Sentranced Jem
I'm a sucker for this genre.
To be honest, I gave it only a 3.5 star because I didn't like the writing style..found it rather lacking for me.

It should also be mentioned that individually, much could be said about the characters themselves for example
1: Hades is 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
2: I found Persephone REALLY annoying.
but I'd be stupid to deny that Hades and Persephone have really good chemistry *wink wink*

Hermes is another standout character ❤️
Jaimie
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars, 2020
Reading the synopsis for A Touch of Darkness, I was ready to loooove this book. A pseudo-contemporary urban fantasy retelling of Hades and Persephone. Yes, please. Hades as mysteroius millionare club and casino owner and Persephone as naive college student/ intern reporter digging into Hades' infamous deeds? YES, PLEASE.

Sadly, Scarlett St. Clair's writing just wasn't up to snuff to pull this off. Hades does not have a personality. At all. He's every Tortured, Lonely Millionaire with Bedroom Eyes
ash | novelly rooted
3.5 stars! I needed a little more character depth as I feel like we only scratched the surface.

please be good
i'm so tired of being bored and unmoved by books lately
i neeeeeeeeeed something and i'm hoping it's this
Sephia Giaracuni
Sep 15, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1.5 A good trashy novel to read when you are anxious or on a rainy day ⛈

I love stories about hades and Persephone, but I don’t think they captured Persephone right in this book. I still enjoyed the book, but I found Persephones character really stupid and un-interesting and didn’t really have a personality, and un-endearing.

She is usually meant to be really cute inexperienced and overly positive but in an endearing way, but in this book she had no character other than being annoying and demand
human
ah, screw it. i'll do my homework in the morning. or in the middle of the night.

(3.5/5 *sigh*)

This book was absolutely trashy in the best way possible. There was literally no plot to speak of whatsoever, but I somehow found myself absolutely immersed and unable to tear myself away. (I sat and read for like 3 hours straight!!) There's nothing particularly special or nice about the writing, or the characters for that matter, but the way that St. Clair was able to write the slow burn was... *chef's
julia ♥
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
That was .... Not Very Good.
tabassum
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for romance lovers!

When I came across this book I loved the concept! I downloaded immediately and then couldn’t bring myself to read it. I love the myth of Hades and Persephone and the one other retelling I’ve read was amazing! I wanted to love this book too and that made it hard to start!

After finishing it I can safely say OMG because this. Was. Brilliant! It was extremely well written and the plot was fantastic. When I realised that Hades and Persephone were put into a modern set
Aundreya
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to worship you.
*(beep beep beep) move out of the way!!! Skidloader coming in to pick my body off the ground!!!

I remember reading something about A Court of Mist and Fury being a retelling and the story of Hades and Persephone but I didn't know the story, but now I get it and I SEE IT!!!!

AToD starts out with Persephone and her best friend going out to a club to celebrate, but this club is owned by Hades. No one ever sees Hades here, but if they do it is because he is making a deal with a
Kamila (kamilacanread)
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I saw "Hades and Persephone" and I was automatically sold. This book is all of my favorite things, fantastical, romantic, and on the darker side of fantasies. With that being said, it could have been darker but that is just personal preference. I also loved the modern touch on Greek mythology, it was a lot of fun. I totally recommend this book, I practically finished in one sitting! I cannot wait for the next one.
Khadidja
If you are looking for a cheesy urban Hades x Persephone retelling THEN THIS IS THE RIGHT BOOK FOR YOU!!!!!
Irene exquisitepages
I LOVED THIS LOL omg Hades makes me think of a mix of Rhysand and the Darkling oop
I love the tale of Hades and Persophene, and I want to read the sequel already-
Naia Pard
I am so surprised, I can barely find my words. It has been at least a year since I've read a retelling and did not feel like closing it at the first chapter.

I have read my share of Persephone and Hades stories and I can claim some level of assurance in the genre. I am saying that just so I can give some credit to the praising that I am making to this one.

It flows. Oh, I was so happy to find this book that is whole and does not waver and quiver in its search for a meaning and a purpose. It know
Vanessa
My new obsession!!!!!
Jenna
Nov 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was everything I needed and wanted. I love a good romance, especially a retelling of Hades x Persephone. The romance was full of angst, yearning, and smut - thank heavens the smut was good AND plentiful!!!

I’ve been seeing this book all over Instagram and TikTok and now that I have a three month trial of Kindle Unlimited, I decided to give it a read. Also, Scarlett St. Clair wrote this story from Hades POV, so once I finish the sequel I’ll double back and read that one too.

One thing I
HaileysBookNook
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
This wasn't particularly steamy, or noteworthy so 2.5 stars. I felt like this was a very average romance.
Petra
Nov 05, 2020 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Dnf-Ing 38% in. It is driving me crazy how much potential is in this story between Hades and Persephone and this author is not exploring it. Persephone is annoying and Hades is still pretty bland.
On a positive note this is now inspiring me to find good Hades and Persephone story.
Sophia Alexis  Books
OH MY SWEET GODS! I LOVE HADES AND PERSEPHONE SO MUCH IT HURTS

This book was one of the first straightforward Hades and Persephone stories that I've read in years and man did I love this book. It has a good amount of mythology (which is a given) but it also has such a fun romance and ugh I just love this love story so much.

This a short and sweet review because I just need to express my love for this book.
Nihal
May 14, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I saw the other, more prettier cover and thought this was a fantasy. I was DUPED. SO HARD. Literally traumatized. Let's just say this genre ain't for me
Erika Lynn (shelf.inspiration)
4.5 Stars

“She had a taste- a touch of darkness- and she would crave it the rest of her life.” - A Touch of Darkness.