Start by marking “Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)” as Want to Read:
Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)

Howl's Moving Castle

(Howl's Moving Castle #1)

4.30  ·  Rating details ·  186,251 ratings  ·  12,834 reviews
Sophie has the great misfortune of being the eldest of three daughters, destined to fail miserably should she ever leave home to seek her fate. But when she unwittingly attracts the ire of the Witch of the Waste, Sophie finds herself under a horrid spell that transforms her into an old lady. Her only chance at breaking it lies in the ever-moving castle in the hills: the ...more
Published October 2019 by Folio Society (first published April 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Howl's Moving Castle, please sign up.
Marlee I personally find the book much better than the movie. If the book never existed, I would say the movie was beautiful on its own, but the book leaves…moreI personally find the book much better than the movie. If the book never existed, I would say the movie was beautiful on its own, but the book leaves it in the dust. A lot more story and characters, much more humor, and very easy to get lost in.
Overall, if you're more of an art and animation fan, the movie is the way to go. If you want more story, the book.
Not to mention there are two books that follow it that are also high up on my favorites list.(less)
Mai Ke I think the brown Colour fits better with the beginning of the Book and the Film. If he made her too beautiful and special from the start, he couldn't…moreI think the brown Colour fits better with the beginning of the Book and the Film. If he made her too beautiful and special from the start, he couldn't show the progress. In the Book you read what Sophie thinks of herself, and you tend to forget she is in Reality quite pretty. In the Film you see her the whole time, so he had to show this another way.(less)

·  186,251 ratings  ·  12,834 reviews

Start your review of Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
Cara
Jan 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cara by: Ash
Honestly what made me want to read this book was the movie. *gasp* I know, I know shouldn't do that. The movie was good (I am a fan of Hayo Miyazaki's films) and I wasn't disappointed in the book. As always much of the book wasn't put into the movie, but it was understandable because I imagine it would be hard to piece together a movie with all the components this story has.

To really grasp and understand the book I would suggest that it be read twice I think. Since I did watch the movie I wasn't
Catie
This book is completely magical and this is how I know:

On the fourth of July, we crammed ourselves into our car (my husband, mother in law, two girls, and I) and drove for over an hour to go see some fireworks. There was traffic almost the entire way, and I was jammed in the back in between two booster seats, which let me tell you – was not comfortable. I am a tall person and my knees basically alternated between being squished in between the two front seats, or slanted crazily off to one side.
Mark Lawrence
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this to my daughter, Celyn (10 at the time), who is too disabled to read books by herself.

I had seen some of the anime film version years ago but remembered basically nothing of it.

I found the whole thing original and refreshing. The point of view character (Sophie) is engaging and no-nonsense with a very capable can-do attitude. The story moves along at a good pace and the whole moving castle / multiple doors thing is a great idea and used well.

The Welsh connection is well-played, and
Zoë
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came in expecting a novelization of the movie (one of my favorites), but what I got was even better.

Good news: The atmosphere and characterization is extremely similar to the Studio Ghibli film. I absolutely loved practical, stubborn Sophie and vain, dramatic Howl as well as the overall concept of the story. Those were the reasons I wanted to read the book in the first place, and luckily it delivered.

The book is simply more. We get more insight into Sophie and Howl's backstories and strong
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I have to say I love Hayao Miyazaki's movie better because come on, it's an awesome movie. (Although, Spirited Away is my favorite movie)

There were some differences in the book but the movie was based off the book and it's not going to be the same. All that matters is they both were awesome and the author loved the movie too.

I absolutely love fantasy worlds that are way out there.

Happy Reading!

Mel
Nick
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is the most magical story I have ever read
Kat Kennedy
Jun 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a heart and half a brain
For some reason I've been reading a lot of really great books lately. I feel that itch to find something I can tear apart and relish in the destruction. However, Howl's Moving Castle didn't provide me with that opportunity.

It is an amazing and fantastic book. The characters are so very different, funny, quirky and lovable that I was sucked in right away. The storyline was intriguing and fun to read. The writing was quite good and the world was utterly fascinating.

If you've watched the movie then
Ahmad Sharabiani
Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle #1), Diana Wynne Jones
Howl's Moving Castle is a fantasy novel by British author Diana Wynne Jones, first published in 1986. Howl's Moving Castle is the first novel in the series of books called the Howl Series. This series also includes Castle in the Air, published in 1990, and House of Many Ways, published in 2008.
A young woman named Sophie Hatter is the eldest of three sisters living in the town of Market Chipping in the magical kingdom of Ingary,
Riley
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
This was such an enchanting story!
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Howl's Moving Castle, for whatever reason, failed to engage me the first time I read it several years ago, but it worked much better the second time around. I really felt for Sophie, the main character, who feels so timid, trapped and hopeless that when she's (unfairly) hit with a curse that turns her from a young woman into an old crone, it actually frees her in more ways than one. She leaves her dead-end job in the village and, for lack of a better option, moves herself (without bothering to ...more
Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones opens in a picturesque little village, in a country and a world where magic—gifts and curses, fairies and witches—are not just real, but taken for granted. The people around them manage to have almost tediously normal lives.

Our protagonist, Sophie Hatter, is the eldest of three sisters, so she knows her youngest sister will have luck and adventure while she herself will have a dull and obscure existence, probably as an old maid tending her father’s hat
Emma
May 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before Hayao Miyazaki made "Howl's Moving Castle" into a feature length animated film in 2006 (2004 if you saw it in Japan), it was a book written by Diana Wynne Jones in 1986. Due to the inherent difficulties of creating an animated film, Miyazaki greatly abridged and adjusted the plot of the novel for his movie. I happened to enjoy both film and novel but after reading the book I realized that the plot is extremely different in the novel--enough that the book and movie become completely ...more
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
I am so pleased to say I loved this book!

This was exactly what I needed to read right now. My year thus far has been full of more serious books with heavy content, but this was a perfect balance of fantastical and lighthearted.

Sophie and her two sisters work in a hat shop with only their stepmother for company since the unfortunate death of their father. Being the eldest of three, she has accepted that she is destined for a life of utter mediocrity.

When the infamous Witch of the Waste curses
Joey Woolfardis
I have been wanting to read this book for a long time, so decided it was about time I just jump straight in. My deepest heart's desire was that I'd find the female-equivalent to Terry Pratchett, but sadly that is not the case.

It was written so well and Diana has an amazing imagination that makes Neil Gaiman look normal. But sadly the characters were flat and I felt nothing for any of them, though I think Howl was the most wonderfully developed of the lot. They were all a little bit "I'm only
Apatt
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya
After finishing Howl's Moving Castle I immediately Googled “Diana Wynne Jones” to see how many more books in this series I can look forward to. The first thing I noticed was
“Died: March 26, 2011”. My reaction was “WTF? And we are just getting acquainted!”

The book starts off charmingly with:
“In the land of Ingary, where such things as seven-league boots and cloaks of invisibility really exist, it is quite a misfortune to be born the eldest of three.”

This misfortune falls on 18-year-old Sophie
Spencer Orey
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg-fantasy
This was awesome. It's delightful, thoughtful, and funny. The language is fantastic, with tons of witty turns of phrase. I liked Sophie's down-to-business attitude and perspective a lot. There are fun crossovers with our world and endlessly refreshing magical mischief. And all the moving pieces come together in one sweeping ending, which, just wow.

I'm also not sure that this book could get published today. It's clearly middle grade but the character ages are all over the place. The main
Celeste
I adore middle grade fantasy fiction. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was the first book that ever made me cry, and I still get emotional when I reread it. The Phantom Tollbooth remains one of the funniest, cleverest books I’ve ever read, though I didn’t read it until I was in my twenties. A Wrinkle in Time changed my view of the world and helped me embrace myself for who I was and still am. The Little Prince gave me a lot of deep, philosophical fodder for discussion with my family. And ...more
Hannah
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Quite different from the movie but no less fantastic.

Needless to say, I loved it.
seak
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I watched the movie, Howl's Moving Castle, directed by Hayao Miyazaki, when I was going through my anime phase, not to mention I'm pretty much always going through a Christian Bale phase. I loved it, of course, it was so odd and just plain weird, exactly why I enjoy anime so much.

This was quite a while ago, and it wasn't until just recently that I started reading reviews of the book by Diana Wynne Jones, so I ordered it right away. And, because my "to read" pile is enormous, it sat on my shelf
Mari
[October 28, 2019] Marking for reread. Delightful, charming, and Old Sophie is my Patronus.

[January 1, 2016]
I talk about this book in this video wrap-up.

This was my first read of 2016, and it was a lovely and enchanting way to start my reading year. Howl's Moving Castle is so much of what I love in books: whimsy, a vivid setting, bright characters and found families.

Wynne Jones' story is told in such a clean and straightforward way that it makes the fantastical elements and setting stand out
Gail Carriger
Howl's lingers with me because of the humor, because of the perfectly executed twisting plot, because of the snapping dialog. Diana is possibly the best writer of her generation but because she wrote mainly YA in a time before HP she was disregarded. You want to know what I think a book should be like? Read this one.
Mariel
Nov 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: it still moves
Recommended to Mariel by: stillness is the move
I'd started writing this review yesterday. I had to quit because I was busy having one of my anxiety fits about using cliches, not saying what I really mean, unclear sentences, my bad grammar, blah blah. I worry about it so much that it is hard to write anything.

Howl's Moving Castle is one of those books that I wish I'd not read so I could read it again. That's a cliche, it's true, but it is true. A lot has been written about Howl's on goodreads so I'll try and say something beyond all of the
Daniella
Delightful a'f, I don't know what more you could want in a whimsical fantasy

-This book will appeal to every age group and gender.
-It's simple yet extremely well plotted
-You can read it in one sitting!
-Doesn't rely on tropes at all, it's its own original story
-You will feel joy throughout the entire book
I highly recommend this.
Luke Taylor
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So what is Howl's Moving Castle?

Pull up a stool by the fire and I'll tell you.

Deceptively complex and yet magically simple, Diana Wynne Jones' inimitable classic throws everything but the kitchen sink (well, probably that too) and gobs of green goo upon the concept of the fairy tale and dusts it with a generous helping of humor, horror, and heart. From making Sophie into an old woman, to making glowing faces in the fireplace, to Wales being a home as deep and dynamic as DiCaprio's own final
Jessica
Jul 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best fantasies, and a clever mystery besides. Read it, for probably the 10th time, but this time I read it aloud to my 7yo. He loved it, though I did have to explain a few things. I would love a Calcifer of my own.
Katerina Kondrenko
10 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Short-Soundtrack:
Scott Thomas feat Jonathan Clay – Heart On Fire

Genre: high-fantasy, fairytale
Stuff: moving castle (duh), magic, curse
WOW: characters, humor
POV: 3rd-person, female
Love-Geometry: seeming

Quote-Core:
"You have an instinct, Sophie. Nothing is safe from you."

Imagine the
Raeleen Lemay
I love the movie so much but to me reading this book just made me feel pretty neutral. I can't wait to talk about it (and watch the movie) with my book club tomorrow!
B Schrodinger
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, fantasy
This is the first book that I read to my daughter.

She may not be a captive audience...actually, scrap that. She's still brewing. Still in the womb. She was captive! Captivated, well that's harder to say. The general feedback was wiggles. Her mother reported that she wiggled as I read to her, a chapter a night for the last few weeks. It was either "Hey I like this sound" or "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? STOP TORTURING ME!" I'm assuming it was the former.

This book was chosen because it is one of my
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
All of the falling stars in the universe

In the land of Ingary where such things as seven-league boots and cloaks of invisibility really exist, it is quite a misfortune to be born the eldest of the three. Everyone knows you are the one who will fail first, and worst, if the three of you set out to seek your fortunes.

I'm the eldest of three *cackles*. This is the third time I've read this this year and I still adore it fiercely. It's magic.

I don't think I can put how much I love this book into
Beverly
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with this sweet fairy tale and now I have to see the movie.
Bambino Books: January 2020: Howl's Moving Castle 1 2 Jan 15, 2020 04:07PM
Into the Forest: Howl's Moving Castle 2019 w/spoilers 11 24 Jan 15, 2020 09:57AM
Bambino Books: January 2020 Pick! 1 4 Jan 04, 2020 03:41PM
Into the Forest: Howl's Moving Castle 2019 spoiler free 6 19 Nov 13, 2019 05:56AM
Spanish Readers: Serie 1: El castillo ambulante #1 [Abril 2019] 15 106 Jul 05, 2019 04:00PM

• Stardust
  • The Summer Book
  • Coraline
  • Uprooted
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
  • Sabriel (Abhorsen,  #1)
  • The Graveyard Book
  • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Hogwarts Library)
  • Ella Enchanted (Ella Enchanted #1)
  • Inkheart (Inkworld, #1)
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • The Princess Bride
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker
  • A Wizard of Earthsea
  • Spinning Silver
Diana was born in London, the daughter of Marjorie (née Jackson) and Richard Aneurin Jones, both of whom were teachers. When war was announced, shortly after her fifth birthday, she was evacuated to Wales, and thereafter moved several times, including periods in Coniston Water, in York, and back in London. In 1943 her family finally settled in Thaxted, Essex, where her parents worked running an ...more

Howl's Moving Castle (3 books)
  • Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2)
  • House of Many Ways (Howl's Moving Castle, #3)
“I think we ought to live happily ever after.” 1533 likes