Start by marking “Just As You Are” as Want to Read:
Just As You Are

Just As You Are

You will LOVE this wonderfully warm-hearted and laugh-out-loud funny romantic comedy for fans of Mhairi McFarlane and Sophie Kinsella.

Emma Londstown spent her twenties travelling, and now needs to make up for lost time. All her friends are married, having babies, and settling into domestic bliss. Determined to catch up, Emma plunges herself headfirst into the online dating
Published January 20th 2020 by Harper Impulse and Killer Reads

To ask other readers questions about Just As You Are, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just As You Are

Start your review of Just As You Are
Romancereadingaddict
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. This book starts with Emma a girl who was left at the alter by her ex who has been single for many years since. Her mom is constantly trying to get her dates. Emmas priorities at this point are to travel and explore rather than settle as she had such a bad experience. She ends up going to Fiji prior to returning to Australia. While at Fiji she meets Nick at at bar. They end up having a steamy night. Nick leaves her his number but she ends up throwing it away when she is ...more
Antonella
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a light & funny chick-lit book. It is a perfect beach read.
It is a book you will enjoy reading but will soon forget all about it.
No drama, whimsical heroine, some misunderstanding, "don't have time to confess the truth" plotline.
So, is that a read you are looking for? This book is for you.

As long as you know what you are getting. It is an okay read.
Cute cover!

Thanks to Netgalley & to the publisher for the copy of the book for an honest review.
Obsidian
Dec 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Please note that I received this book via NetGalley. This did not affect my rating or review.

Well that was a slog and a half. Fair warning, the book takes a while to get going. I started to lose interest after the first sex scene and my interest dwindled from there. There are some bright parts of the book though (hence the 3 stars) but not enough to actually get me that invested in reading something from this author again anytime soon. Not a bad romance, just needs to be more tightly edited.

Kimberley C.
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars, after a bit of a rocky start.

I really enjoyed the journey that Emma took in this story. Great characters and a fun storyline, even if the beginning was a little hard to get into.
Karen Whittard
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a fun lighthearted romantic storyline. Yes it is a little predictable, but it’s great non the less.
Melinda
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just As You Are is a hilarious, light-hearted, sweet and sexy as hell romantic comedy that everyone can relate with. Great story, fabulous writing with all the feels and all around a great book that I know people are going to love. Pick up copy today. Happy reading!!
Sherry
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
***Thank you to NetGalley, Harper Impulse and Killer Reads, and Kate Mathieson for the arc. All thoughts and opinions are my own.***

Just As You Are, by Kate Mathieson, was not what I was expecting. The summary described it as a world traveler deciding to settle down and jumping headfirst into the world of online dating. There were only a handful of dates that didn’t take more than a few pages at most to describe. Emma ran away from Australia after a trauma and ended up staying abroad for 7
Norah Gibbons
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Just As You Are by Kate Mathieson is a delightfully funny contemporary romance novel. Emma Londstown set off on a journey around the world after being left standing at the altar and seven years later tired of waitressing in a Mexican restaurant in London, decides to head home to Sydney, Australia and figure out what she wants to do with her life. A brief stop in Fiji on her way home leads to a wonderfully sexy one night stand and although he gives her his number and asks to see her again her ...more
Elizabeth
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it
As the title suggests, this book is somewhat of an homage to Bridget Jones Diary. If you liked Bridget and Mark Darcy’s antics, you’ll might also enjoy this occasionally fun “coming of age in your mid thirties tale.”

Emma’s been running around the world trying to forget the embarrassment she suffered when she was left at the altar by Murray, a perfectly vanilla computer studies major who used to tutor her in statistics. After seven years of globetrotting and making ends meet through a variety of
Living My Best Book Life
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Just As You Are is a romantic comedy you need in your life. It's funny, light-hearted, and flirty. Kate Mathieson created a heroine that many readers will be able to relate to. Emma spent her twenties living life the way she wanted and now that she is in her thirties she is beginning to feel the pressure to settle down and find the one.

When Emma travels to Fiji, she meets a charming man named Nick. They spend an amazing night together but she knows it won't go anywhere. When she returns home to
Carola | booksanddpaws
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
*I received a copy from NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

*3,5 stars

I really liked this story. The backstory to Emma was well explained.
I liked how she just did what she wanted, and 'just lived life'.
Going back home, I thought she would adjust slowly and would have some difficulties, but it felt like she could handle it all pretty well. Her mom was pretty annoying as a character, but I guess it was written that way. It felt very much how a mom would be, if her daughter was 30-something
Jessica
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***I received a copy through NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.***

I really enjoyed this read! It was light, humorous, and kept me entertained. I wish there would have been more development in Nick and Emma’s relationship, it felt a bit forced. The ending was rushed, but still was enjoyable. I think the description of the book is a bit misleading, seeing as Emma didn’t do much dating and the focus was really on her reinventing herself and her life. Despite all of that,
Aleasha
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Just As You Are, started off light, fluffy, romantic and juicy.. then it kind of just fell flat? The mid and end sections just felt like a different book. At the start there was chemistry, even when the two were just talking, then it just fizzled and felt like different people. Not my favourite.

Thank you to the publisher for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Shkolnikjx
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this novel! The writer has a beautiful and seamlessly flowing narrating style and I literally could jot put the book down.
Kristy Thiel
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a lot of fun to read! It was easy to put yourself into the shoes of the book’s main character. I would definitely recommend this book!
Tracy
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
It took a few chapters for me to be into the book, but once I was I couldn't wait to see what happened. I liked Emma and Nick from the beginning. There wasn't a lot of online dating that was mentioned in the blub, but I think the story was good without it.
Thank you to Harper Impulse and Killer Reads and NetGalley for the arc. I am voluntarily leaving a review.
N
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty enjoyable , funny romance. I liked Emma and her journey to figuring herself out and what made her happy, Thought Nick was great from the start and really wanted them to find their back after Fiji. Worth a read.
Becka
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
So I started this book and by the 2nd chapter I just though ugh, really, this again? I skim read a few pages up until around chapter 5 and then I was hooked. I laughed, I cried, I cringed, I cheered.

I think that Emma is one of my most favourite heroines, it helps that she's not your usual skinny Minnie and she knows her flaws but still finds her way to what she wants. Nick is like the yummiest thing ever and will be added to my literary heartthrobs.

Ive never read anything by this author before
Brooke
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This book started out just okay for me, but did get better by the end. I found it funny that it referenced Bridget Jones several times, as it reminded me of that a great deal. This book basically is about a woman named Emma in her thirties who, prior to where the book begins, has spent years traveling after disappointments in her love life and career. She then decides that she needs to settle down in the city, get a job, a house and a husband. So, she takes a job at a PR firm and tries to fit ...more
Jeeves Reads Romance
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
This definitely had its moments but unfortunately they were few and far between. A story about accepting yourself for who you are, it takes awhile to work itself into anything more than over the top comedy, and I’d already disconnected from the story at that point. There is some fun banter and a lively, unpredictable heroine, but that’s sort of all that worked for me.

The story follows Emma, a woman in her thirties who fled home after being left at the altar. She’s never quite fit the typical
Julie
I am happy that I stuck with this book. I have to admit I almost gave up early on. Emma is 34 years old and has been traveling for the last 7 years after an event that didn't go as planned (I don't want to spoil it, so no more details). She has finally decided to come home. She spends a few days in Fiji and has a one night stand. This is where I almost stopped- it was pretty explicit and pretty early in the book and made me think it was representative of the rest of the book. I am glad I ...more
Holly _boozeandbooks
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Emma is 34 years old and totally behind on society's timeline. Feeling the need to match her friends accomplishments and fulfill her families expectations, she comes up with a checklist for success. Step 1- land a 9 to 5 career. Step 2- get a house. Step 3- find a husband. Because the key to happiness is being wifed up with a consistent routine and being knee deep in a mortgage right?

I don't think I could have picked a better book to start 2020! Honestly I am the queen of timelines. I could
Daisy Dooley
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
A sweet, easy to read story about leading an authentic life, It's about being unapologetic about who you are. Emma has been travelling for seven years, but feels at 34, it's time she settles down into a steady job, making a home and finding a partner. As she blags her way into a PR job she is wholly unqualified for, she bumps into an old flame, Nick, who she spent one night of passion with in Fiji. She is mortified, and yet can't help but feel an enduring connection between them. As work begins ...more
The Weekly Romance
Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: phoebe-read
I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
2 and a half cups of stars, the book takes a while to get going. I was beginning to feel annoyed with the slow plot after only twenty-two percent of the way through. One of the most important parts of a book is the hook, and this book unfortunately didn't grab me. I really began to lose interest after the first sex scene and intrigue dwindled from there. I like some parts of the
Marti
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is a light, Australian romance. I almost gave up on it after the first few chapters as it really took a while to get going. However, once I made it past that, it was an easy, quick read. It was certainly a book where I had to suspend my disbelief as much of the workplace situations were completely unbelievable. The main character was a bit whiny for my taste.

However, with those negatives being said, I thought the romance was cute and i enjoyed that aspect of the book.

Thanks to
Kathleen Gray
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is light, funny Australian chick lit about Emma, a woman who left home after her heart was broken and now wants to settle down. Not so easy or so fast. She meet Nick on a last fling in Fiji, has a hot night with him, and never expects to see him again. HA! Emma's new job in PR includes a rotten boss who, lucky for Emma, is fired but then who comes in to replace her- Nick. You know what's going to happen, don't you? Emma's a fun character who has some nice friends and, thankfully, a good ...more
Mikaela (Booklover1974)
Nov 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
I'm sorry to say but this book is awful. I don't even know where to start... Emma, the main character, has been traveling for seven years and is now coming back to Sydney. From page one the author demonstrate that she thinks it's normal to have a mother who only thinks about finding a husband to her daughter. No, this is not funny. It's also not funny that Emma lies about everything and anything because she's a whiny adult woman who can't take responsibility for her actions. Disgusting.

Thanks to
Vikkie
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another absolutely gorgeous read from @onemorechapterhc @harpercollinsuk
A huge thank you for this ARC which is released Jan 20th.
I have loved this book. It has been an absolute pleasure to read and I haven’t been able to put it down. This is one of those books which will literally make you laugh out loud. This is a light and funny read which has been perfect to shut out reality with at the end of a busy day. Definite five star book for me.
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
Just not for me this, I found the main character to be self absorbed, childish, irritating and perverse. The story was over the top at times and once I reached the first sex scene I had enough (I am not a prude, I read lots of steamy and hot romance ) this just was t for me, it’s cringeworthy humour and I just didn’t find it funny, sorry.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Tripip
Jan 02, 2020 rated it did not like it
I found this book was not for me. I found it difficult to get into as I did not like the main character. I thought Emma was whiny, self-absorbed and juvenile. Other reviewers have compared it to Bridgit Jone’s Diary, which I did not like, so I found it a trial to finish.
I received a copy from Netgalley. This is my unbiased review.

• The New Guy
  • My Best Friend’s Royal Wedding
  • A Sweet Mess
  • Love Lettering
  • Ten Things My Cat Hates About You
  • A Favor for a Favor (All In, #2)
  • Mixed Match
  • No, We Can't Be Friends
  • Annie Beaton's Year of Positive Thinking
  • The Love Scam
  • Never Saw You Coming
  • The Flatshare
  • Dirty Letters
  • Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love
  • Trouble (Dogwood Lane, #3)
  • The Neighbours
  • Scot Under the Covers (Wild Wicked Highlanders, #2)
  • Marriage on Madison Avenue (Central Park Pact, #3)
Kate discovered she wanted to be a writer at the age of 8, when her love of Nancy Drew novels inspired her to start writing.

In 2009, she took a one-way ticket to Africa, re-wilding herself. Her story would become her breakthrough memoir, Ways to Come Home – a finalist for the 2017 Finch Memoir Prize.

She is currently a writer-in-residence working on her first romantic comedy fiction book, and