Start by marking “How Nancy Drew Saved My Life” as Want to Read:
How Nancy Drew Saved My Life

How Nancy Drew Saved My Life

Broken, smashed and stomped in the mud. That's how Charlotte Bell's heart ended up the last time she let her emotions heat up on a nanny assignment. So taking a new position in frigid Iceland, working for Ambassador Edgar Rawlings, might be just what Charlotte needs in order to heal up—and chill out. This time, she's determined to be intrepid and courageous. She's even rea ...more
Published August 29th 2006 by Red Dress Ink

To ask other readers questions about How Nancy Drew Saved My Life, please sign up.
Valerie Prosser no, it's chic lit -- geared towards 20 - 30 ish year old women

Cheryl
Mar 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book was so horrible that my friends and I started a Terrible Book Club where we passed around a copy in which we wrote snarky comments in the margins.
Shelley
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
It took me a long time to read this chick-lit book because I picked up my book club book and read it, and didn't bother to pick this up again until I finished that book.

How Nancy Drew Saved My Life was pretty bad. I feel it's more of a 1-1/2 rating rather than a generous 2 that I've given it, not quite "I didn't like it" or an "It was okay" rating.

I grew up loving Nancy Drew books. I loved the TV show too. So I was pretty excited that I came across this in a second hand bookstore. The name of t
Stacy
Jul 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book really had nothing going for it. The main character was not lovable, deep or interesting. At 23 she develops this weird obsession with Nancy Drew (for no good reason) then goes to Iceland where it seems that all Icelanders carry a copy of some Nancy Drew book around with them--although it is never quite explained why this is the case as you read the book. I would also venture to guess that this little "tidbit" is totally untrue. The main character is naive and doesn't seem to get what ...more
Erika
Apr 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book is about a girl who gets involved with the father of the children she nannies, it goes south and she decides she needs to make a new life for herself. She gets another job as a nanny/governess and goes to Iceland. She continually talks about Nancy Drew and what would Nancy Drew do in her position.
This is where I started to hate the book, but I kept reading thinking maybe it'll get better. I was very frustrated with the end and that the relationships didin't build very well, it went fr
Allison P
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: just-plain-fun
It's been ages since I read this book, and I only remember that I liked it over all, though the ending left me flat. I don't remember details. It is silly and unbelievable. I usually read serious heavy books, or established well-thought-of, highly recommended classics with a good reputation. But, I allowed myself to stray when I saw this whimsical title. I was searching for Nancy Drew books for my daughter about ten years ago on our library's website, and this came up in the search as well. I co ...more
Brittany
Dec 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Gosh, this was bad. It took me forever to just get a hundred pages in and when it takes that long, its time to chuck the book across the room and start again with a new book. A better book. The writing was blah, the character was blah, the character of Edgar was totally unbelievable and don't get me started on the whole WWNDD? or the fact that all Icelanders are devout Nancy Drew fans. Proves that anyone with a semi-understanding of the English language can write a book.
Shannon Renee
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5

I'm not quite sure where to start with this one. I hope this was the author's debut novel. If so, I think with time and some good editing, this writer will bloom. However, I don't think it is. It was just very okay book. I didn't feel anything for Charlotte Bell (I had to look up her name, that was the impression she left me with). I found her to be annoying, selfish and couldn't relate, and could tolerate her. The writing just smacked with absurd situations that I didn't find humorous or rea
Karen
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Um... was this a debut novel? Was it written by someone who just finished college, and hadn't seen much of life? This book was painfully bad, but not dangerously bad, so I gave it two stars instead of only one.
Sharon Buxton
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
C. fiction, Iceland, nanny, affair, espionage, inane
May

would Nancy Drew do?"
Sherri Bryant
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
One of the many joys of reading is the travel destinations. For the first time ever, I got to travel to Iceland with Charlotte Bell when she accepts a nanny position with the U.S. Ambassador. Initially, this story is very vague where Charlotte is concerned. Though Charlotte was a child celebrity, she had a less than happy childhood, growing up in her Aunt’s home. She never feeling accepted and is someone who is looking for love and acceptance, usually in the wrong place. Unfortunately, she wears ...more
Cassie
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
As usual, I was browsing titles in my local library and came across this book. As a huge Nancy Drew fan, I had to add it to my stack.

The premise was cute, the writing was fine: typical chick-lit prose. There were a few spots with language that really bothered me. I try not to swear personally (but I used to have a BAD habit of doing so and there are times when they come back. Such a hard habit to break!) and I can usually skip over them without them really bothering me. It just didn't seem to f
Stacey
Jun 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
So, I’m going to be honest. I loved Nancy Drew as a girl, and that is why I picked this book up at some random library book sale. Plus I haven’t yet met a Red Dress Book I didn’t love. This might have been the exception. It had a cute little plot and story but basically the main character Charlotte just drove me nuts. She is the type of girl I absolutely cannot stand. It starts out that Charlotte is a Nanny for this well to do couple in NYC. So of course she has to start sleeping with the husban ...more
Heather
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
it's Jane eyre with a less satisfying ending. the entire nancy drew angle was odd. pass.
Dec 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
Haven't adored nancy frew books as a child, I picked up this book @ amazon reduced with gift cards. Thinking this book would be true to nancy drew however i was very disappointed. I usually like books by red dress not true with this one.

It's about a girl who's a former child star, she becomes a nanny & falls in love with her male employer. Who of course is married and lives with her aunt now that her dad moved away.

She leaves the job when the man wanted get rid of her child, only later she
Jackie
Jul 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
Elle
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read a few reviews of this book when I started it and I saw a lot of "okays." I didn't think that it was that bad. It was based upon Jane Eyre. In fact, the book kinds of makes fun that it's like Jane Eyre which is what is so funny. The movement in the story happened and the ending was kind of anti-romantic. I still liked it and the message that it sent.

Charlotte (hat off to Ms. Bronte) having had her heart crushed by her employer, embarks on an adventure to Iceland as a nanny, her previous o
Lady Knight
While there was the odd section of 20 pages or so that captivated me, overall this was a pretty terrible book. Blatant rip off of Jane Eyre (and it doesn't help that the author even references it when Charlotte claims to have a "Jane Eyre moment") and very little to do with Nancy Drew (other than the odd reference thrown in to live up to the novel's title). The book sounded cute and held such promise, but ultimately was a waste of time.

I have really loved Lauren Baratz-Logsted's YA and children
Oct 14, 2007 rated it did not like it
This is truly one of the worst books I've ever read. I bought it in an airport bookstore or somewhere, thinking that it would be light travel reading. Several pages in, I got so frustrated with the book that I started making notes in it, underlining and commenting on all of the things that were pointless or stupid or made no sense. When I got home, I passed it off to a friend with the warning that it was terrible. She made her own notes and passed it to another friend. Now it's got at least four ...more
Kathleen
Sep 22, 2008 rated it liked it
This was a really easy read. I loved Nancy Drew when I was in elementary school so I was excited to read this. She makes it sound like the entire country of Denmark is completely obsessed with Nancy Drew, which I find unlikely. I liked how she kept tying "what would nancy do?" back into the story, but for large sections she completely drops anything Nancy related, which seemed a little odd. I was expecting the end though and was happy to be surprised by the secret she revealed. Is it the greates ...more
Christie
Feb 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who have nothing else to read
I was definitely not impressed by this book. I may have liked it if not for the ridiculous ending that pretty much ruined any positive feelings I had.

I felt like the author didn't come up with any unique ideas on her own. From the title, I assumed there would be lots of references to the Nancy Drew series (which there were) but there were also tons of Jane Eyre references and they all felt overstated and trite.

The one good thing that came form reading this book--it made me want to re-read Jane
Stephanie "Jedigal"
Jul 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Stephanie "Jedigal" by: bookclub
That I have the ability to totally disengage from what I am reading. I was "eh" about it while reading - didn't care about it in the positive, didn't care about it in the negative. It was while discussing in book club that I determined this was really a pretty crappy book, and wondered why I hadn't noticed at the time.

Anyway, I would NOT recommend. And I realize this doesn't have any thoughtful reasons to explain my problems, and I hate to say - this book doesn't deserve the time it would take
Debbie
A young woman takes a governess job with an ambassador in Iceland and ends up embroiled in some romance and some mystery. This was a bit of a disappointment. The characters fell flat with me and at times, it seemed that the author was overreaching for parallels between her story and Jane Eyre and Nancy Drew. It was an amusing read but I thought it could have been carried out much better than it had been.
LibraryCin
Dec 31, 2012 rated it liked it

After Charlotte's heart is broken by her previous (married) employer, in order to get away, she accepts a nanny position in Iceland. Unfortunately, she later finds herself falling for her new employer. What she's not sure about is where his wife is?

I thought this was cute. I loved all the references to Nancy Drew and there were shades of Jane Eyre. It really is a mindless, fluffy, quick read, though. Don't expect too much out of it. Though some didn't like the ending, I did.
Sharon
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
Despite the title, this novel had more connections with Jane Eyre than Nancy Drew. Since Jane Eyre is one of my favorite novels, it would have taken a really good book to make me admire rather than resent the connections. Unfortunately, this novel was not remotely strong enough to successfully walk this line. Sorry, but not a fan of this novel. I did like her YA book Crazy Beautiful though, so I'm one-for-one with Baratz-Logsted thus far.
Margaret
Jul 29, 2011 added it
Shelves: 2010
I was drawn into this book by the title and I found Charlotte's thoughts about Nancy Drew amusing, although her dependence on thinking, "What would Nancy Drew do?" was misguided. I wanted Charlotte to grow and learn from her mistakes in life during the story however her growth was not very apparent to me. There were some amusing parts and her thoughts to herself were sometimes witty but you do have to suspend belief for parts of this book to get through it.
Kelly
Feb 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was cheesy but fun and compelling. Started out slow, but then later I couldn't put it down, wanting to find out what happened next. Reminded me a lot of "The Sound of Music" story, which is my all-time favorite movie. I would like to read more from this author. Red Dress Ink books never let me down!
Cindi
Dec 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Title attracted my attention, location was interesting, but this is not my type of book. I don't ususally do romance anyway, and the whole story line about the main character sleeping with her employer turned me off from the start. The silliness of everyone in Iceland reading Nancy Drew is too much. Just not my thing.
Kaite
Jul 29, 2012 rated it did not like it

I went into amazon looking for something that would touch base on Nancy Drew and i thought this was it... Dont even think about it ladies and gents this book was worth its only star. The main character was hard to relate to let alone understand. There was no character depth nor was there much about nancy drew. Not my cup of tea
Mirah W
Jul 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
Um, well, the good news is it was a quick read. The bad news is there wasn't really a mystery (implied by the Nancy Drew title) and it was a poor rip-off of Jane Eyre. Some parts were just preposterous (Bebe, Annette's history, Edgar's life). The redeeming value came in Charlotte learning to stand on her own two feet and making the right decisions for herself.
  • Dating Without Novocaine
  • Love You To Death
  • The Hunt (Rachel Benjamin, #4)
  • Mean Season
  • The Year of Living Famously
  • Killer Summer
  • Girl Most Likely To
  • The Funeral Planner
  • Notting Hell (Notting Hell Trilogy, #1)
  • Me Vs. Me
  • Starting From Square Two
  • The WWW Club: A Novel of Sex and Bonbons
  • How Sweet It is
  • Looking For Mr. Goodfrog
Lauren grew up in Monroe, CT, where her father owned a drugstore at which her mother was the pharmacist. She is a graduate of the University of Connecticut at Storrs, where she majored in psychology. She also has what she calls her “half-Masters” in English from Western Connecticut State University (five courses down, another five to go…someday!).

Throughout college, she worked semester breaks as a
“It is indeed possible to be widely read, as I am, and still have black holes in one's knowledge.” 3 likes
“Actually, I was beginning to think that even I should be able to solve .153847 mysteries. It was the 38 part, I suspected, that would be the problem.” 0 likes