Start by marking “The Thief: A Short Story” as Want to Read:

The Thief: A Short Story

A boy in his tender age was hanged to the tree, tied by his hands with a rope and pulled up; his feet barely touching the ground.

As he slowly oscillated like a heavy pendulum, the sweat dripped down all the way from his neck, counting the bones in his ribs that popped out, finally reaching his half pants that already turned wet.

The bruises on his body suggested the
Published September 26th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thief

Start your review of The Thief: A Short Story
Katherine
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The thief is an emotional story of young boy who has been accused of stealing. When he gets caught, he is cruelly judged by everyone except for the narrator.
This story depicts the real reason behind this act and it is really heartwarming tale of innocence and compassion.

Although this is a short story, it is quite sad to see how the society is ready to jump to conclusions without even hearing the accused. People tend to take matters as such described in the book in their own hands instead of
shruti
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In Sekhar Raja's short story, 'A Thief', he narrates the heartwarming story of a young boy caught stealing. He is tied up while his body hangs downward. His body is bruised and he is rebuked severely by the fresh-clothed man. The innocence in his eyes tells a different story; the story of a child. Is he really a thief? Is the innocence in his eyes only a facade?

It is the most sweetest, heartwarming and beautiful story I have read in a long while. The character of the little boy is so endearing.
Ruchi Patel
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it

Its a short book and can be read in less than an hour so I will keep my review short or else it will be spoilers. The story is emotional and heart touching. Its a story of a young boy who has been accused and caught stealing and he was tied up like its mentioned in the blurb. As I said earlier, it was something different read for me. Its really emotional and heart touching touching. It shows innocence of a child and mentality of the society. I liked the plot. Narration style of the author is
Samee
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A short story of 12 pages which is a conversation between an innocent kid and young guy. Even though it is a short read each page catches your attention significantly. An absolutely brilliant concept put forth with lots of emotions. The conversation was innocent and too emotional which made me think how reality hits you and you can't change it. The title is apt.The naiveness of the kid was something many kids have to go through which is brought into limelight.
Overall a nice read.
booksandreads8
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book consists a short story which touched my heart. The story is about a little boy who is so naive and beautiful. He wants nothing but to be with his family. His love towards his father and brother is so pure and strong. I think that the plot is amazing and very emotional, but the narration needs work. I ignored the narration and little grammatical mistakes to enjoy the plot and I dont regret it. The cover needs work as it is not doing justice to the story line. Overall, it was a 3.5/5 ...more
Sourav Chatterjee
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG! After reading the book, I'm just crying. Although the book is really short, just 12 pages but the story is so deep. The innocence of the child the described so beautifully by the author!
Even the struggle of the child and the hardships can make the readers really emotional.
The readers can feel the emotions through the book from the very first page.
After reading the book properly you can understand the deep message too!
Just a great story! A must read!
Shabana Mukhtar
I like stories that are short and impactful. This one is one of them.

This book is a short story about a kid thief and a person who witnessed the thief being beaten inhumanly.

Then, the two of them talk and the kids tells the narrator why he was trying to steal. The story will make you a bit emotional and will force you to reconsider your standards of heroism.
_silkreads
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't Choose you My Heart Did💝.

Format: kindle edition
Pages: 12

This is a Short story. A beautiful heart touching story over only just 12 pges . A boy who act just like his Elder's his Father and brother. Every kid's have their own idol's make sure what idol character's will they choose for their future's. Assumptions oR Accusing it's very easy to imposed others. Very well narrated . Totally worth reading.
Yash Sharma
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Perfect Emotional Tale Worth For Reading.

There are only a few stories who has the power to stay with a reader for a long time. And, believe me, this story holds lots of strong emotions which can melt your heart and left you with many questions.

The thief is an emotional short story which is unique yet a very simple and effective story who narrates a conversation between the young boy and the narrator who came forward to save him from the crowd who are willing to teach him a lesson for stealing
Simran Bhatia
by Sekhar Raja
Genre: Short Story
Format: Kindle

This short story is a crisp read of subtleties of human emotions as a thief and how a child interprets the small petty act as the act of defiance. It is always foreseen that children gradually build up the concrete on the foundation of the parents and elders but in this particular case, the child is innocent enough to do a illegal task in a legal gesture. The story is intricately woven and would definitely pamper the reader
Mrs Javvad Hasan Rizvi
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
#qotd - Do you ever Stole anything for the sake of anyone or for self? Either it is a thing or idea or notes or anything plz share you POV (Point of view)

Book Review

Title - The Thief (a short story)

Author - Sekhar Raja

Title - Title perfectly describes the Content of the Story.

Book cover - Cover depicted the story very well.

Plot - The Thief is the very Short story of A boy in his tender age was hanged to the tree, tied by his hands with a rope and pulled up; his feet barely touching the ground
Bookish
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Thief is a short story of 12 pages, which is quick to read and interesting. The story starts with a boy is seen hanging to a tree and was threaten by villagers as he steals something .
What he steals and why ? All answers in story !
What follows is rest of the Story!
Things I liked :
1) The plot
2) The innocence of the child described by author
3) Conversation between the 2 throughout the story is very well portrayed which helds strong emotions
4) Child's love for his brother and his father is
REHANA
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it

The title of the story is very catchy. It arouses a person curiosity to know deep inside the book. The cover of the book is nice and also given in reference to the title. It is a very short story consisting of only 12 pages. But the message the author gave through this short story is awesome.
This story is about a young boy in tender years who is caught while stealing . The elders start punishing him until the author came to his rescue. The reason behind his stealing leave everyone astonished.

Ipshita Das
The Thief

It's a short story and a very unique one I must say. One can complete the story within only 5-10mins. The protagonist here encounters with a boy of tender age whose is been kept as captive and been beaten for trying to steal a watch. He learns the intention of the boy by listening his story for stealing the watch.

It's an emotional read, where such a young boy who hates money still tries to steal something in order to prove his skills to his father so that he doesn't have to leave his
Rukaiya Madraswala
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
'The Thief' is not just a 12 pages short story but an interesting piece about a young boy wanting to be a thief. The story begins with the narrator helping a boy accused of robbery hanging by his feet to a tree. After releasing the boy whom the narrator thinks is innocent, he is surprised to find out that the boy has in fact committed the theft. He questions the boy the reason of the theft but is again surprised to find out that he did it not for money but something else. Now why would someone ...more
Rakshandaa
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is a very short story of the author's encounter with a small boy who has been caught and punished for theft. All the dialogues and the words used in the narration carries so much of depth. Everything about the book tugs at the reader's heart. The language used is quite simple but the usage of words are apt, causing the right emotions to be invoked. The title and the cover are chosen very well. The narration from the little boy's perspective is what made the story win. The author has ...more
Gurmit Manghnani
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
The thief is an emotional saga of an enthusiastic pre teen who steals a valuable entity just to prove that he is not an innocent soul.

To prove his maturity he steals a watch and gets caught, local people brutually beats and soon the kid starts shedding salty droplets from his eyes.

When the author comes to know about the child's mindset his eyes gets filled and he craves more of his words. Soon the kid comes up with an another plan.

What kind of plan?
Is he going to steal something again?
For whom?
Vishakha
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Expressive and powerful tale

Sometimes we learn from naive too. The story is simple, quite effective. Validation from our loved ones can make us go weak at knees. The story is filled with innocence, love, guilt, and lessons. Adults forget everything easily, but a child doesn't. They learn not only through your words but actions too.
Cover ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Story ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Tale was of a kid who in innocence committed a crime. But he wasn't aware, being a kid is blissful. How he grappled to show his worthiness? Our
Sherly Arokya
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book so much!
It sounded like a story that we used to enjoy as kids years ago!!
When I was reading this (it took me just 15 minutes), I felt like someone is reading this to me, like my mom or my teacher.
It was short, good and extremely thought-provoking!
I wish there was a sequel short story to this short story because I really wanna know what happens next (Though without it, the story is complete).
It was a quick and great read.
Go for it!!

Thanks to the author Sekhar Raja for letting me
Richa
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story of an innocent thief

This a very short story about a little innocent boy who tells his story. He expresses his desire to become a thief not because he wants money or something, but because he doesn't want his brother and father to believe that he is still a kid. His brother and father are thieves. So, just the kid wants to prove himself so that he don't need to stay away from his family. It shows his self-less love. The story is very short still impacting. It hits at the right chord of
Ajayshankar11
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Thief: A Short Story by author Sekhar Raja is a very interesting short read. It can be finished within no time.
Plot is story of boy who wants to be a thief. So know the reason by grabbing a copy of the book. Wouldn't want to disclose more and spoil the fun of reading.
Conversation between the boy and author is very interestingly penned. Boys innocence wins over one's moral, in fact can say readers heart. Boys character remind's me "Swamy"(character) of Malgudi Days. Narration is easy,
Shruti Skye
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story is about a boy has been caught stealing a watch. The scene starts with the people punishing him who caught that boy stealing. The scene has been narrated very well. "A tender boy hanged on a tree with his tied hands with rope." Then the author gets the boy rescued. Here the real story starts. The book is a conversation between that boy and the author.
The author asked him why he stole the watch.
Did he really steal the watch?
Did he need money?
Why did he steal the watch?
This *Why*
Sneha
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bookskudo
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
the book is really short, just 12 pages but the story is so deep.
The story revolves around young boy who has been accused of stealing. When he gets caught, he is cruelly judged by everyone .

The writing style is Amazing and realistic . I'd definitely recommend it.

The narration is done so well.
The story plot is drawn beautifully depicting the innocence of the child.
Overall, author
Kiranmayi
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A young boy wants to become a thief - not for money, not for the item he intended to steal. What else could be the motivation for a young boy to risk his life and try to get branded as a thief?

The Thief is a very short story which precisely conveys the message it intends to. The story touches upon childhood innocence, dysfunctional families and society's apathy towards certain sections. The author succeeds in bringing across the intended message with just two characters and within 12 pages. Must
Shunya M
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You are never a stranger to any child if you look at them in the eye.

The author finds a little boy being tortured, when questioned the author learns the boy was caught in robbery and is being punished. He stops his punishment add gets the boy down and tries to help the boy. The boy tells her desires to be a Thief.

This is the most innocent yet very intriguing story I've read this year. The boy's desire and the logical reason behind his desire was very thought-provoking.
Punit
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
"You are never a stranger to any child if you look at them in the eye."

A young boy is hanged by his hands to a tree for a theft he has committed. The short story explores the rationale of the boy and his comprehensions on thievery.

It's an unsurprising, quick and easy read. The author's POV narrative fits well in bringing out the emotions which manages to strike a chord with the reader. There are a couple of forgiving typos but all in all, a decent read.

Rating: 3/5
BookClickDeo (Deotima)
This is a short story by Shekhar Raja which will take you absolutely 5mins to read but leave on you an eternal impression!
The tale is of a small boy who wants to be a thief only to belong to his insinuated family of thieves.

His innocence and wants and questions but a desire so absurd but emotional will bring tears to to your eyes too!

The beginning of the book will cause you to think of humanity!
Take a short read of this story!

A few spelling mistakes are there
Bandini Raghav
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
The cover and title are both apt to the story.
As it is already a short and quick read i won't reveal much of the content.
The story talks about the innocence of a child and his unconditional love for his father and brother.
It is a combination of the harsh reality and sweet innocence.
The language used is very easy, simple and vivid.
One must read it to find the message the author is trying to give through this short read.
Recommended.
Simrin
Book Review : The Thief

About the book :
The book is a short story which is of 12 pages. It is written in a simple and lucid language for everyone to understand. It revolves around a boy who was hanging on the tree and is poor. The whole story revolves around him. The plot of the story shows how people are treated by in the society. The inhuman treatment which is been seen. I would like to say the tittle was appropriate which has direct link to the story line. I would like to recommend this book

• MIЯЯЯO : at THƎ WƎIЯⱭ WAYWAЯⱭ
  • Spies, Lies & Red Tape: A Spy-Military-Political Fiction Thriller based on the Indian Subcontinent
  • The Combat of Magic and Miracles
  • Made in China
  • Daughters Of The Brothel: Stories from Delhi's Red-light District
  • Love on the Everest: Love Conquers Everything
  • Once Upon Us (Part I)
  • My Happily Ever After
  • Oscar for loving, Grammy for not!
  • Small is Big - Volume 3
  • Hold That Breath
  • THE GIRL WITH BLUE EYES
  • SHE- Screw Silence!
1 follower
Sekhar Raja, a master graduate in nuclear engineering, is a short story writer who wrote a few critically acclaimed short stories, and in his own words, a vivid dreamer(literally).
He is so fascinated by the idea of dreams and his dream experiences, even his first published and the critically acclaimed short story Love power Infinity was based upon the concept of dreams.
Working on his novels

News & Interviews

With clever detectives, missing jewels, murderous women, daring spies, and more, mysteries and thrillers deliver page-turning delight with ever...
“You are never a stranger to any child if you look at them in the eye.” 0 likes