Start by marking “Maggie's Place” as Want to Read:
Maggie's Place

Maggie's Place

Years ago, Mary Margaret Sullivan changed her name, boxed up her previous life, moved into the Eagle Gate Apartments, and hid her painful memories in her chicken-wire storage unit in the basement. But secrets have an inconvenient way of surfacing when least expected.

Three weeks before Christmas, an elegant man in a penthouse, a young woman named Carly—homeless and ill with
Published November 1st 2019 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about Maggie's Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maggie's Place

Start your review of Maggie's Place
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
This book really spoke to my heart and was more than I expected it to be. The writing is gentle yet captivating, and I had a sense of anticipation as secrets are revealed little by little, new relationships begin, and the suspense of impending danger hangs over everything. The story is mainly told from Maggie's perspective and her great-niece Carly, a runaway who finds herself in over her head, with a few enlightening chapters from the point of view of Kristen, Maggie's estranged daughter. The a ...more
Cathy
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book took just a few chapters for me to get into. Once I did, however, I loved it. There are just so many great things about it.

One of my favorite things about it is the characters. This book has so many quirky, fun, characters. I loved all of them!

The main two characters that the reader gets to know are Maggie and Carly. They are connected, but neither of them realizes it for quite a while in the plot. Maggie is an old woman, living alone in an apartment building. Her life made me a bit sa
Emily Flynn
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Imagine a building with retirees that live together as friends. Then imagine a group of homeless teens and young adults that have designs on those retirees monies. The building has security, but the homeless group has an in, or do they.

What ensues is a delightful story about Maggie and her friends and the discovery of a long lost family member. On the surface, there is the day to day struggle, but what I loved is that this beloved group of retirees is not going down without a fight.

I laughed, I
Janet Jensen
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
November 20, 2019
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase

Meet Maggie Sullivan, 74, widowed, healthy, mentally sharp, living in the historic Eagle Gate Apartments in the heart of Salt Lake City, where it’s close enough to walk or take the bus anywhere she wants to go. Maggie’s in what she calls Act Three of her life, “more agile than most and still in possession of her original knees,” (and teeth), and chooses to live every day of that life happily. After the rent’s paid, her means are modest, (i.e., n
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
4.5 Stars

MAGGIE'S PLACE is part women's fiction and part suspense. It's a story of heartbreak, loss, and mistakes, but also friendship, forgiveness, and second chances. It's full of charming, quirky, and sweet characters that readers will fall in love with, and how their lives connect in complex ways. Definitely recommended to women's fiction and LDS fiction readers.

These characters! What a riot these ladies were!! I loved them all immensely! I also fell in love with Carly and Ed. I loved the mo
Shae
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 star rating

Copy of Maggie's Place provided by the author in exchange for a free and honest review.

The whole concept of following an apartment building with elderly people was very intriguing to me. I found this book somewhat depressing though. The parts about Salt Lake City, Utah with crime, schemes and homeless teens was very accurate, though native Utahns tend to turn a blind eye to it. . The characters and story line were believable, but the story just wasn’t for me.

Maggie as a character
Rachel DeVaughn
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story alternated between Maggie, a woman in her 70s; and Carly a homeless teen in downtown Salt Lake City Utah and how their stories intertwine. Maggie lives in Eagle Gate Apartments where she and her friends get together to go walking, play games and help each other with day to day chores. Throughout the book, past parts of Maggie’s life with her kids Kristen and Henry are mentioned along with current events which help them work towards healing and forgiveness.

I found this book somewhat de
Sara Cardon
I wondered how the characters' lives would intersect. The runaway girl's troubles gripped me the most. I also loved the security guard. The only thing I found odd was sometimes the retired people seemed like the generation before them or too old for their ages. Maybe because my parents are about the same age and seem younger? The events unfold
like watching a train wreck in slow motion. The story came to a rewarding end.
Kristin Peterson
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maggie's Place is a wonderful story about a 70 something year old living in a retirement apartment building. This story has a sad undertone that ends with a note of hope. While this story isn't one that I would usually pick up and read I'm glad I did. It made me think about my parents and grandparents in my life and the relationships I have with them. It also gives a message of forgiveness and making things right in your life.

There is a bit of a love story in the plot line, and does have The Chu
Kathryn
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book really hit home to me as I too am at a crossroads in my life. Creating a new life for myself and leaving my past behind me.

Not having Maggie’s past spelled out at the beginning kept the mystery alive and me reading more for answers as her story unfolds.
Stella Potts
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I started reading this book I had a difficult time getting into it for about the first 25% of it because it was not my usual choice in genres. But I am glad I persevered because I enjoyed it very much. Being of the same age group as Maggie and the other characters I was able to sympathize with them and what they went through. It is a very moving story that you will enjoy. It is set in Salt Lake City and very much involves the Latter Day Saints Church. It is set around the holidays so it is ...more
Rachel
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This novel centers around a older lady and a homeless young women in Salt Lake City during the holidays. Haws included lots of details in the setting, giving it a strong sense of place and time. Things like the smell of wool in a knitting shop, a couch with a rip in one cushion, and the care older people take when walking in icy conditions. I liked how many older women characters there were and how they were distinct from one another.

I felt a little confused about the book's point-of-view a few
Jenna W
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What impressed me most about Maggie's Place was the beautiful writing. I was captivated by Annette's words, which were sometimes melancholy, but always truthful.

I loved the story, too. I don't think that enough contemporary fiction portrays the lives of people in our older years, and Maggie's Place does so very thoughtfully. I was captivated by Maggie's relationships - with her daughter, her friends and her family - both known and unknown.

Barbara Waloven
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a lovely story. Gently written and so touching. Yet...don’t mess with the elderly! They’ve been through, and survived, the first two stages of life and they’re brighter than given credit. This is a story of enduring friendships and love of family all mixed up with secrets and some good and some bad people.
Emily
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is a lot to enjoy in this contemporary novel set in urban Salt Lake City: the quirky elderly main character with a secret past, a teenage homeless girl looking for a way out, a little bit of romance tangled up in choosing to do the right thing, and a gaggle of seniors outwitting the bad guys and saving the day.

The author Annette Haws is also the writer of Waiting for the Light to Change, the 2008 Whitney Award Winner in General Fiction. Maggie’s Place will please the same audience, pullin
Lori
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is another new to me author and I can say I honestly enjoyed this book.
Annette Haws has done a wonderful job with the characters' feelings and I felt their pain, secrets, and love and yes sometimes anger coming through the book.
I think the thing I've found out is that you can never hide your pain, past or whatever the case may be because it just follows you through life.
You might be able to box up your personal items but not your feelings. Our past defines us in who we are and eventually s
Kim
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maggie’s Place is a heartwarming novel about friendship, community and second chances. It’s about women and men facing the third act of their life on their terms; some financially stable, some struggling, some striving for redemption, some looking for liberation, but all seeking for a connection to those around them.

The characters in the book are not your typical heroes, but you’ll cheer for them nonetheless. From determined Maggie Sullivan, to the charming but mysterious Mr. 7-B, to the homele
Charity Jacob
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Maggie’s Place is not Annette Haws first book, but it’s the first book of hers that I’ve read. This book isn’t your typical romance or mystery. At first look this book wasn’t enticing for me to pick up voluntarily. But since I had a goal to read all the fiction books published by Covenant Communications in the month they came out, I picked this book up to listen to. Though I started this book in the month it came out, I didn’t finish it until today. The Christmas season is too crazy for me to fi ...more
Shawna Wilde
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maggie’s Place is simply a delightful story about a group of quirky ladies, and a few gentlemen, who luckily ended up living in the same apartment building in their advanced years. The author’s genius at description and character development drew me into their world and allowed me to feel that I knew each of them inside and out.

Each character brought the complex baggage of a former life, some trying to live on a shoestring, others living without financial worries, some with family support and s
Jan
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maggie's Place takes the reader on a journey to the innards of the Eagle Gate Apartment Building, a Salt Lake City retirement landmark. The book delves into the realm of aging, something that most of us are trying to avoid. On this journey you will meet --- Maggie, who is trying to construct a new life, with Rosie, Jan and Sue. The ladies muster the strength and sense of humor to face the treacherous trip to buy groceries, muse on the new male tenant in 8B, and show compassion to a homeless tee ...more
Joni Haws
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I hope that when I reach my golden years my friendships are just like the ones described in this book. Maggie's Place seems like the perfect holiday read for any age. It's about family, heart-break, integrity, and forgiveness, with the tongue-in-cheek turn of phrase I've come to expect from this author. It's a great airplane or vacation read, or maybe something to cuddle up with when the snow starts to fall. My favorite quality of the book is that the characters are flawed and have experienced r ...more
Andrea
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maggie's Place was such a pleasant surprise. While the description caught my attention, I wasn't sure what to expect from the author. I'm happy to say that Annette Haws really delivered with this novel.

Maggie is a senior citizen with limited means and a mysterious past. Life seems to have given her more than her fair share of lemons, and I found myself very invested to see if she would get a happy ending. I loved her friends, and felt so bad about her strained relationship with her children.

My e
Crystal (Books Are Sanity!!!)
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really fell in love with Maggie's Place! I felt like Maggie had such a story to share and too many things she was holding on to from the past. I loved the community of amazing friends she had and the support they all showed for each other. The entire story was about Maggie, her story, and her journey. There were parts of this story that were fun, happy, sad, tragic, emotional, bittersweet...this book covers an entire range of emotions. If you are willing, take a walk to Maggie's Place, and you ...more
Susan
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a delightful surprise this was. The main character was an older woman in her struggle to get along, the friends she's made in her retirement community in downtown SLC. Then a side character is a homeless girl, which turns out to be her grandniece. The romance between Carly and another character surprised me but was a kinda sweet turn of events. I liked the conclusion, the way most loose ends were tied up, but not completely. There is more story of their lives to come!

Parts of the story migh
Terressa
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
A senior living center and a group of misled teens come together in a moving story where relationships are realized and self confidence is gained.
I had a hard time getting into the story but I’m glad I read the entire story. This is set at Christmas time in SLC and has a strong connection to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Disclosure statement:
I receive complimentary books for review from publishers, publicists,
and/or authors, including Netgalley. I am not required to write pos
Hillary
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maggie is an elderly woman in her third act of life, living in a retirement community in Salt Lake City. Surrounded by friends, Maggie is determined to live her last days with joy, if only the pain of the past would leave her alone. But Maggie’s memories, full of hurt and heartache, come to call in the form of a new resident and some scheming street thugs who think the retirement community residents just might be their golden ticket.

A delightful read about learning from life’s challenges and fo
Emily
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you dreamed of going to Guernsey to join the delightful Potato Peel Pie Society,
then you’ll definitely want to move into “Maggie’s Place” in downtown Salt Lake City. The quirky cluster of endearing characters who care for each other, despite their limitations, make you laugh out loud and weep, all on the same page. Haws wields her descriptive powers to capture the complexity and beauty of relationships in “the third act of life.”
Kathleen Merkley
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Witty, sweet, touching with strong themes of friendship and forgiveness woven into the plot. The story empowered me to embrace considerations of post retirement life with less dread. I have thought about the characters and the messages numerous times since completing the book. Haws nicely demonstrates that it is never to0 late to find your way. All this with the Christmas season as a backdrop makes for a delightful read.
Phoebe
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A thoroughly engaging read! Haws is a talented writer and she's produced a fine twisty plot, but the real treat is her dry wit and fascinating cast of characters. I devoured the book in one sitting and enjoyed every minute. A special bonus for readers familiar with Utah: the story is set in Salt Lake City, and Haws has made the most of her detailed settings, from the tunnels under the city to the cozy flats at Eagle Gate to a sordid squat downtown--it's all good. ...more
Liz
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maggie’s Place is a relevant, beautifully written story. The author paints wonderful characters that I was sympathetic with and could relate to. The background of Salt Lake City described at Christmastime with the magic of lights, snow and Christmas music is charming. A story of aging beautifully, friendship, family, forgiveness and doing the right thing. I will miss Maggie and her friends that I learned about from this book. A great read for book clubs!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Kit and Elizabeth
  • The Masked Baron
  • The Heart of the Rebellion
  • Secrets and Suitors
  • Where the Stars Meet the Sea
  • The Candy Cane Caper (Culinary Mystery, #13)
  • His Lady in Hiding
  • Adoring Abigail
  • Glass Slippers, Ever After, and Me
  • Royal Heir
  • Promised
  • Mistaken Reality
  • The Noble Smuggler
  • All Hearts Come Home for Christmas
  • Solving Sophronia (The Blue Orchid Society #1)
  • A Proper Charade
  • Rakes and Roses (Mayfield Family #3)
  • To Die To Sleep (Natalie Marsh #3)
Annette Haws’s literary strengths are based upon her experiences in the classroom. She began her teaching career as a junior high teacher in Richmond, Utah and ended it teaching Sophomore English at Murray High School in Salt Lake City. However, her favorite assignment was a five year period at Logan High School teaching English, coaching debate and mock trial, and watching the antics of her own t ...more