Start by marking “Maggie's Place” as Want to Read:
Maggie's Place

Maggie's Place

Years ago, Mary Margaret Sullivan changed her name, boxed up her previous life, moved into the Eagle Gate Apartments, and hid her painful memories in her chicken-wire storage unit in the basement. But secrets have an inconvenient way of surfacing when least expected.

Three weeks before Christmas, an elegant man in a penthouse, a young woman named Carly—homeless and ill with
Published November 1st 2019 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about Maggie's Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maggie's Place

Start your review of Maggie's Place
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
This book really spoke to my heart and was more than I expected it to be. The writing is gentle yet captivating, and I had a sense of anticipation as secrets are revealed little by little, new relationships begin, and the suspense of impending danger hangs over everything. The story is mainly told from Maggie's perspective and her great-niece Carly, a runaway who finds herself in over her head, with a few enlightening chapters from the point of view of Kristen, Maggie's estranged daughter. The ...more
Cathy
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book took just a few chapters for me to get into. Once I did, however, I loved it. There are just so many great things about it.

One of my favorite things about it is the characters. This book has so many quirky, fun, characters. I loved all of them!

The main two characters that the reader gets to know are Maggie and Carly. They are connected, but neither of them realizes it for quite a while in the plot. Maggie is an old woman, living alone in an apartment building. Her life made me a bit
Emily Flynn
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Imagine a building with retirees that live together as friends. Then imagine a group of homeless teens and young adults that have designs on those retirees monies. The building has security, but the homeless group has an in, or do they.

What ensues is a delightful story about Maggie and her friends and the discovery of a long lost family member. On the surface, there is the day to day struggle, but what I loved is that this beloved group of retirees is not going down without a fight.

I laughed, I
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
4.5 Stars

MAGGIE'S PLACE is part women's fiction and part suspense. It's a story of heartbreak, loss, and mistakes, but also friendship, forgiveness, and second chances. It's full of charming, quirky, and sweet characters that readers will fall in love with, and how their lives connect in complex ways. Definitely recommended to women's fiction and LDS fiction readers.

These characters! What a riot these ladies were!! I loved them all immensely! I also fell in love with Carly and Ed. I loved the
Rachel DeVaughn
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story alternated between Maggie, a woman in her 70s; and Carly a homeless teen in downtown Salt Lake City Utah and how their stories intertwine. Maggie lives in Eagle Gate Apartments where she and her friends get together to go walking, play games and help each other with day to day chores. Throughout the book, past parts of Maggie’s life with her kids Kristen and Henry are mentioned along with current events which help them work towards healing and forgiveness.

I found this book somewhat
Kristin Peterson
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maggie's Place is a wonderful story about a 70 something year old living in a retirement apartment building. This story has a sad undertone that ends with a note of hope. While this story isn't one that I would usually pick up and read I'm glad I did. It made me think about my parents and grandparents in my life and the relationships I have with them. It also gives a message of forgiveness and making things right in your life.

There is a bit of a love story in the plot line, and does have The
Stella Potts
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I started reading this book I had a difficult time getting into it for about the first 25% of it because it was not my usual choice in genres. But I am glad I persevered because I enjoyed it very much. Being of the same age group as Maggie and the other characters I was able to sympathize with them and what they went through. It is a very moving story that you will enjoy. It is set in Salt Lake City and very much involves the Latter Day Saints Church. It is set around the holidays so it is ...more
Lori
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is another new to me author and I can say I honestly enjoyed this book.
Annette Haws has done a wonderful job with the characters' feelings and I felt their pain, secrets, and love and yes sometimes anger coming through the book.
I think the thing I've found out is that you can never hide your pain, past or whatever the case may be because it just follows you through life.
You might be able to box up your personal items but not your feelings. Our past defines us in who we are and eventually
Emily
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is a lot to enjoy in this contemporary novel set in urban Salt Lake City: the quirky elderly main character with a secret past, a teenage homeless girl looking for a way out, a little bit of romance tangled up in choosing to do the right thing, and a gaggle of seniors outwitting the bad guys and saving the day.

The author Annette Haws is also the writer of Waiting for the Light to Change, the 2008 Whitney Award Winner in General Fiction. Maggie’s Place will please the same audience,
Kim
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maggie’s Place is a heartwarming novel about friendship, community and second chances. It’s about women and men facing the third act of their life on their terms; some financially stable, some struggling, some striving for redemption, some looking for liberation, but all seeking for a connection to those around them.

The characters in the book are not your typical heroes, but you’ll cheer for them nonetheless. From determined Maggie Sullivan, to the charming but mysterious Mr. 7-B, to the
Shawna Wilde
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maggie’s Place is simply a delightful story about a group of quirky ladies, and a few gentlemen, who luckily ended up living in the same apartment building in their advanced years. The author’s genius at description and character development drew me into their world and allowed me to feel that I knew each of them inside and out.

Each character brought the complex baggage of a former life, some trying to live on a shoestring, others living without financial worries, some with family support and
Jan
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maggie's Place takes the reader on a journey to the innards of the Eagle Gate Apartment Building, a Salt Lake City retirement landmark. The book delves into the realm of aging, something that most of us are trying to avoid. On this journey you will meet --- Maggie, who is trying to construct a new life, with Rosie, Jan and Sue. The ladies muster the strength and sense of humor to face the treacherous trip to buy groceries, muse on the new male tenant in 8B, and show compassion to a homeless ...more
Joni Haws
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I hope that when I reach my golden years my friendships are just like the ones described in this book. Maggie's Place seems like the perfect holiday read for any age. It's about family, heart-break, integrity, and forgiveness, with the tongue-in-cheek turn of phrase I've come to expect from this author. It's a great airplane or vacation read, or maybe something to cuddle up with when the snow starts to fall. My favorite quality of the book is that the characters are flawed and have experienced ...more
Andrea
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maggie's Place was such a pleasant surprise. While the description caught my attention, I wasn't sure what to expect from the author. I'm happy to say that Annette Haws really delivered with this novel.

Maggie is a senior citizen with limited means and a mysterious past. Life seems to have given her more than her fair share of lemons, and I found myself very invested to see if she would get a happy ending. I loved her friends, and felt so bad about her strained relationship with her children.

My
Crystal (Books Are Sanity!!!)
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really fell in love with Maggie's Place! I felt like Maggie had such a story to share and too many things she was holding on to from the past. I loved the community of amazing friends she had and the support they all showed for each other. The entire story was about Maggie, her story, and her journey. There were parts of this story that were fun, happy, sad, tragic, emotional, bittersweet...this book covers an entire range of emotions. If you are willing, take a walk to Maggie's Place, and you ...more
Terressa
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
A senior living center and a group of misled teens come together in a moving story where relationships are realized and self confidence is gained.
I had a hard time getting into the story but I’m glad I read the entire story. This is set at Christmas time in SLC and has a strong connection to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Disclosure statement:
I receive complimentary books for review from publishers, publicists,
and/or authors, including Netgalley. I am not required to write
Hillary
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maggie is an elderly woman in her third act of life, living in a retirement community in Salt Lake City. Surrounded by friends, Maggie is determined to live her last days with joy, if only the pain of the past would leave her alone. But Maggie’s memories, full of hurt and heartache, come to call in the form of a new resident and some scheming street thugs who think the retirement community residents just might be their golden ticket.

A delightful read about learning from life’s challenges and
Liz
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maggie’s Place is a relevant, beautifully written story. The author paints wonderful characters that I was sympathetic with and could relate to. The background of Salt Lake City described at Christmastime with the magic of lights, snow and Christmas music is charming. A story of aging beautifully, friendship, family, forgiveness and doing the right thing. I will miss Maggie and her friends that I learned about from this book. A great read for book clubs!
Emily
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you dreamed of going to Guernsey to join the delightful Potato Peel Pie Society,
then you’ll definitely want to move into “Maggie’s Place” in downtown Salt Lake City. The quirky cluster of endearing characters who care for each other, despite their limitations, make you laugh out loud and weep, all on the same page. Haws wields her descriptive powers to capture the complexity and beauty of relationships in “the third act of life.”
Phoebe
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A thoroughly engaging read! Haws is a talented writer and she's produced a fine twisty plot, but the real treat is her dry wit and fascinating cast of characters. I devoured the book in one sitting and enjoyed every minute. A special bonus for readers familiar with Utah: the story is set in Salt Lake City, and Haws has made the most of her detailed settings, from the tunnels under the city to the cozy flats at Eagle Gate to a sordid squat downtown--it's all good.
Penelope
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a charming book about an older woman named Maggie who is making big changes in her life. Not only does she face the changes she thought she would be facing, but encounters joys and sadness that she didn't anticipate. In addition to her delightful and colorful friends at her new residence, she meets 2 people that will change her life forever. Ms. Haws creates a circle of life scenario within some of Maggie's new friends that are heartwarming. A delightful book to read!
Kathleen Merkley
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Witty, sweet, touching with strong themes of friendship and forgiveness woven into the plot. The story empowered me to embrace considerations of post retirement life with less dread. I have thought about the characters and the messages numerous times since completing the book. Haws nicely demonstrates that it is never to0 late to find your way. All this with the Christmas season as a backdrop makes for a delightful read.
Deanne
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The characters and places seemed so familiar. It was a very relatable book. I enjoyed the character Maggie and felt like I knew her. I loved walking around Salt Lake City with her. Carly was an endearing character who I was pulling for the whole time. I can't wait until I get to read more books by Annette Haws.
Nancy McDonald
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was such a great read! It was a very character driven book, and the characters were so believable with the way they interacted with each other. I loved the way the plot twisted and turned, it kept me engaged the whole time. The theme of the book was so beautiful. It made me want to apply its story into my own life. I highly recommend this book!
Nollie
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Andy’s mom wrote this book and it’s a really fun, light read. The characters are well written, it speaks to the power of life experience and friendship, and there are some exciting twists and turns along the way. A great book to gift for the holidays to any reader friends.
Ginger Tingey
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A delightful book with something for everyone. A great read for this time of year. Just the right amount of mystery and intrigue to keep you turning the pages. Plus a little romance as an added bonus! Haws keeps you laughing with her funny one liners.
Ashley
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was easy to feel the emotions of the characters and made it easy to picture everything happening right before me. The storyline was great and I loved the back and forth viewpoints of the characters. Definitely planning to read it again and recommend it to others!
Cheri
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-fiction, fiction
Maggie's place, took time for me to realize, that there were two different stories. One told from the voice of Maggie, an older retiree, living in an apartment complex with other retirees. The other voice, is Carlee, who is a young runaway, turned homeless. The retirees and the homeless are starting to merge together in an unexpected way. The characters in this book, were ones that touched my heart, I loved them! A story of friendship, forgiveness and love.
Julie
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had been hoping for a more positive ending, but I loved everything else about this book. Set in downtown Salt Lake City, this is a story of betrayal and healing, and I enjoyed the friendship between Maggie and Rose.
Dagny
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just love Annette's books. Somehow she always creates characters that I just can't stop thinking about, even hours after I put the book down for the day (or weeks after I finish the book). This was a really fun and exciting read.

• Secrets and Suitors
  • Mistaken Reality
  • The Heart of the Rebellion
  • The Duke's Second Chance (Lords for the Sisters of Sussex #1)
  • To Die To Sleep
  • A Lady's Maid
  • Entangled
  • Kit and Elizabeth
  • Secrets Never Die
  • Master of the Phantom Isle (Dragonwatch, #3)
  • Fool's Deadly Gold
  • Love in Disguise
Annette Haws’s literary strengths are based upon her experiences in the classroom. She began her teaching career as a junior high teacher in Richmond, Utah and ended it teaching Sophomore English at Murray High School in Salt Lake City. However, her favorite assignment was a five year period at Logan High School teaching English, coaching debate and mock trial, and watching the antics of her own ...more