Start by marking “Twice Shy (New Milton #3)” as Want to Read:
Twice Shy (New Milton #3)

Twice Shy

(New Milton #3)

The last thing Joel Morgan wants is to fall in love again. Scarred by his failed marriage, Joel’s determined to keep his life emotionally stable—which means taking a job teaching fourth grade, fixing up his house on weekends, and avoiding absolutely all romantic entanglements. And he's doing great.

Until he meets sweet but struggling single dad, Ollie Snow.

Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 381 pages
Published November 1st 2019

To ask other readers questions about Twice Shy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twice Shy

Start your review of Twice Shy (New Milton #3)
Judith

Another charming story from Sally Malcolm set in and around the quaint sea side town of New Milton.

Can be a stand alone but fans of this series are sure to enjoy this instalment.

Joel Is living quite a lonely life when Ollie rocks into his world and turns it upside down.The title Twice Shy totally applies to him.Still recovering from his failed marriage four years ago and the fact that's he's not out in town he's extremely reluctant to have any kind of relationship.But Ollie slowly starts to break down his barriers.

For his part,Oll
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
4.25

I'm so SOOOOOOO happy I found this series; it's like slipping into my coziest slippers and jim jams then having a cup of hot chocolate with Malcolm providing the perfect book to round out the picture of bliss. I just know it's going to be enjoyable. I thank everyone on Goodreads who pushed Perfect Day, Love Around the Corner and Between the Lines through my feed, enticing me because the quaint little town of New Milton has rapidly become a favorite place to visit.

I've come to count on Malcolm to give little updates of prev
☆ Todd
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it

This story was "fine", but didn't work as well as the previous books in the series, so I liked both Joel and Ollie, but it wasn't an everlasting, true love for the ages for me.

I think my main issue was that strong, confident, successful, and independent investment banker Joel had a completely debilitating breakdown when his marriage ended, and even 4 whole years later, he was still an emotional shipwreck just waiting to happen.

That never fully rang true to me, feeling more exaggerated than"",
Caz
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've given this an A- at AAR, so that's 4.5 stars rounded up.

When I reviewed Perfect Day, the first in Sally Malcolm’s series of m/m contemporary romances set in the fictional Long Island resort of New Milton, I called it “the sort of book you finish with a heartfelt sigh of satisfaction and a dreamy smile”.  Something about the author’s writing just clicks with me; herit “the
Bev
4.25 stars from me. Another lovely Sally Malcolm read...much better for me than Between the Lines, as in that one I couldn't warm to Luca at all. In this instalment of the New Milton series, I liked both MC's especially Ollie, and of course add kids in to the mix, and I'm pretty much a puddle of goo. 💜💚🧡💛💙

This was such a sweet story, with a few tears I admit. Of course Joel acted like a muppet at times, but who could blame him when his ex wife had really done a number on his confidence and self-e
Gillian
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars

This was just the sweet and uncomplicated read I was looking for, and that I’ve come to expect from this author’s books. It’s fluffy in all the best ways.
Karen
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I don't usually jump into a series near the end? the middle? but...

This one caught my attention and it seemed like it would stand on it's own, so I decided to give it a go.

"Twice Shy" is the third book in 'new-to-me' author, Sally Malcolm's "New Milton' series, it's about Ollie a young twenty-something who finds himself the sole guardian of two young children following the death of his sister and her husband and a protracted legal battle with their grandparents (the husband's parents). O
Lucy
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love this series and was so excited for a new installment. Here we get Joel, a sixth grade teacher at Milton Elementary, who has gone through a nasty divorce after nine years of marriage with a cheating wife. He was devastated and although it’s been four years he has vowed to never put himself in that situation again. So when he meets Ollie – younger than Joel, adoptive father to his dead sister’s children, who is struggling to hold everything together on his own, he figures regardless of attr ...more
Jenny Wood
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
So, I’m comin into this one late, but I saw single dad, so of course I jumped at it! I haven’t read the other two in the series first. I should probably do that, but only because I wanna see how the others got together, it didn’t take me away from the story at all.

In this one, we have Ollie, who fought hard for custody of his niece and nephew after the death of his sister and brother-in-law. Fighting his conservative brother-in-laws parents was hard, but he’s determined to prove to everyone tha
Charlotte
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance, lgbtq
This book was a beautiful story that was a lovely continuation of the New Milton Series by Sally Malcolm. This book could be read as a stand-alone, but honestly, I would encourage anyone who loves romance to pick up the series from book one and come along for the entire story. Characters from the other books in the series put in an appearance in Twice Shy and I can almost guarantee that you'll be curious about them once you get started.

In this story, Ollie is raising his nephews afte
Becca
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Woooo. This book is so damn good but it will leave you emotionally …..wrecked. It will make you laugh, cry, and everything in between. This is a story on how shitty sometimes life can be. And it takes one step, one day at a time to keep going and try to get it right. And most often we get it wrong. Whether because of bad pasts, bad exes or who knows what. Fears and doubts. It all adds up and we often flounder a bit before we get it right. But the point of this story too, is that you have to keep ...more
ButtonsMom2003
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Boy do I love this series.

Who can resist a young, single dad? I can't and Twice Shy has a wonderful single dad by the name of Oliver Snow. While Twice Shy is the third book in the New Milton series it can be read as a standalone. Characters from the previous books in the series do appear but not in such a way that you will feel lost if you haven't read them. They are also great stories, though, and I highly recommend them.

Oliver is in his early 20's when he takes custody
Didi
A poignant and heartwarming story, this latest installment to Malcolm’s “New Milton” captivated and entertained me all at the same time from start to finish. From Joel and Ollie with their slow-burn complicated romance to ooh so cute and adorable Ollie’s nephews Rory and Luis, they had me aww-ing, chuckling, sniffling, in-stitches and all the emotions in between!

Told alternately from Joel and Ollie’s voice, the narrative unfolded from the moment they first met to the civil camaraderi
Smut Librarian
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The blurb for this book really captured my imagination and I just had to explore these flawed characters further! Sally Malcolm writes a gripping story with Twice Shy and I am so thrilled to encourage other readers to pick up this wonderful standalone tale.

Joel is a troubled man. His marriage to his wife failed and now he’s scared to try again. Being bisexual complicates things further as his new community doesn’t know about his sexuality. He worries his job as a teacher will be affe
Ruthie Taylor
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

This is the third book in the series, but I have to admit my first. I will be going back and reading how the other two pairings unfolded as we do get to see the men and the fact that they are together, without any details which might spoil the earlier books - so win win!

Ollie Snow moves to the area with his two nephews in order to find them more family, now that both their parents are dead. He is incredibly selfless, and very
Ariana
Shelves: lgbtq, ku, to-read-again
*4,5 stars*

I loved it.
To me, this is romance at its best, ticking a good few of my ‘happy boxes’:

.) two highly sympathetic and interesting MCs
.) a good amount of pining
.) a teeny bit of angst
.) some deeper complex issues addressed
.) a plot that’s (maybe not brand-new but) extremely well done

I loved both, Joel and Ollie.

Joel
He’s one of those gentle, kind guys. What he’s craving more than anything is a family. Someone to look after and to help out/>/>I
Vicky
All the feels!!!

*4.5 stars*

Twice Shy is another heartwarming love story by Sally Malcolm and a great addition to the New Milton series. I loved being back in New Milton and seeing all the previous characters in the series put in an appearance. I feel so at home in New Milton, with it's small beach town vibes. I could totally picture myself living there 💕

As usual with Sally's great storytelling skills, it gave me all the warm and fuzzy feels with plenty of touching moments... you wi
noah
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
the cover of this book was my first warning.

when i first saw it i was disappointed it wasn't as nice as the other new milton books and that disappointment continued throughout the book.

let's start with what i liked:
- found family
one of my favourite tropes
- setting
love the small beach town vibes
- cute kids
you can tell malcolm knows kids with how accurately they're depicted
- happy ending
who doesn't love a hea?

okay.. now what i didn't like:
- too much going on
-/>-/>-/>-/>-
Carra
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh my goodness, I just loved Ollie to pieces! The fact that he fought to keep his sister’s kids and has put them first before everything (even his own happiness)—especially at his young age—is admirable and made my heart melt. Which if you know me well is striking in and of itself since I’m not one for kids in books at all. That right there should tell you a lot about my thoughts on this book.

And Joel? Even though he tried hard not to get involved, Ollie made it hard for him not to f
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars -I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

This is a crazy emotional read. It’s the story of two men who have both lost their confidence after major life changes. Overnight, Ollie went from single student to single father while Joel started a whole new life when his wife left him.

There are so many passages in this book that feel raw and real - but there is also humour and little touches of joy and hope that add light to the book. Ollie is a bit of
meep
Shelves: arc, bbj
4 stars

Twice Shy is the 3rd book in the New Milton series by Sally Malcolm.

With the death of his sister and her husband, Ollie Snow becomes father to two young boys. Barely an adult himself, he struggles. They live in a small one-bedroom apartment and live day to day but they are managing; Ollie is even in the PTA.

After a somewhat messy divorce, teacher Joel Morgan is scared to embrace his bisexuality. He meets Ollie and is immediately taken with him. With the
Andrea
Shelves: lgbt, romance
I absolutely ADORE Sally Malcolm's New Milton series, and this latest addition was no exception. It has all her trademark wit and warmth, and (like all the other books in the series) just made me happy. Ok, except for the last quarter, which had me crying in public because so many feels!!!!
It was a joy to spend time with Ollie, who sacrificed everything to raise his dead sister's sons all by himself, and Joel, who has spent the last years after his wife dumped him for coming out as bi to h
Amy Dufera
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Twice Shy is an enjoyable romance by Sally Malcolm.

Ollie's a young parent now, since becoming guardian to his two young nephews. Meanwhile, Joel's a teacher who's secretly bisexual, passing as straight to everyone as he has an ex wife.

When the two meet, the attraction is intense. What follows is a part forbidden parent/teacher romance, loaded with tension and sparks.

Their story includes some enjoyable characters, a great town, and some adorable kids. The storyline is fun
Lucy Krb
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant storytelling that made me read romantic books

I've came across Sally's books thanks to Stargate and fell in love with her story telling style.
Normally, romantic books aren't my style but I won the first New Milton book and fell in love with the story in such a way I'm always looking out for another New Milton story.
Sally's brilliant storytelling gave me sleepless nights and putting down the book wasn't really easy.
I enjoyed the involvement of children which was really nice touch.
Dena
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have loved every book I've read from this author so far and this one was no exception. I wanted everything good for Ollie, Joel and the kids. While it is true Joel took a long time to get his confidence/trust back, I believed in him and his struggles and Ollie seemed like a perfect match for him--while he was only 24 he was very responsible and I could see him as a very committed and strong partner for Joel who definately needs that kind of emotional security. The kids were adorable and while ...more
Angie
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a free copy to read and review for Wicked Reads

This was a slow book for me that at times I struggled to get into. There were a few times the wrong characters name was used and I had to re-read things to see if I had misread something. I loved Ollie and how he was doing the best he could with what he had. Been there, done that. Joel is a good guy who has some issues in his past but holy cow does he take it to the extreme sometime! Overall it was an ok book for me it was jus
Lillian Francis
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this so much. It's a gentle romance. A story about two lonely men who find each other through the school PTA. Joel is bisexual, a closeted teacher who is determined never to fall in love again because he's still battling demons caused by his previous relationship. Ollie is adorable and he's given up a lot to look after his sister children. He's out and proud but he can't resist Joel.
The kids are adorable. The story flows well and wasn't too angsty but still had enough emotion to make
Sophie
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
I was excited to go back to New Milton, and I loved Ollie and Joel, and Rory and Luis. There were some bits that were a bit much - the final conflict felt somewhat overblown - but overall this was quite lovely and a great addition to the series. If you liked the previous books, you’re going to love this.
D.J. Jamison
Sweet, emotional story

I really enjoyed this heartfelt story about the struggles of a single parent, the longing for true family, and the families that we create in life. Ollie is charming and genuine; Joel is wounded and fearful, yet so sweet and supportive at the same time. The story was emotional, moving me to tears as these two men found their way.

• Best Man (Close Proximity #1)
  • Reindeer Games (Ace's Wild, #6)
  • Poetry in Motion
  • Happy for You (Love & Family #3)
  • Tallowwood
  • Rocket Science
  • Flash Rip
  • Science & Jockstraps (Ace's Wild, #1)
  • A Faerie Story
  • Secrets & Lies
  • The Prince and His Bedeviled Bodyguard (Paranormal Princes #1)
  • Starting from Scratch (Starting From, #2)
  • Heart2Heart: A Charity Anthology, Volume 3
  • Fake Boyfriend Breakaways (Fake Boyfriend #2.5, 3.5, 4.5)
  • The Dragon CEO's Assistant (Golden Kingdom, #2)
  • The Graduate (Close Proximity, #1.5)
  • Stand In Place
Sally Malcolm was bitten by the m/m romance bug in 2016 and hasn’t looked back. It’s fair to say she’s obsessed with the genre. She has four contemporary m/m romances out, set in the fictional Long Island seaside town of New Milton.

She's also the author of eight Stargate novels and novellas, including the hit "Apocalypse" trilogy. She has penned four Stargate audio dramas for Big Finis

New Milton (4 books)
  • Perfect Day (New Milton #1)
  • Love Around the Corner (New Milton #1.5)
  • Between the Lines (New Milton #2)