Start by marking “A ​pusztulás gyermekei (Az idő gyermekei, #2)” as Want to Read:
A ​pusztulás gyermekei (Az idő gyermekei, #2)

A ​pusztulás gyermekei

(Children of Time #2)

A Föld aranykorában, évezredekkel ezelőtt bátor felfedezők távoli csillagok felé indultak, hogy azokat a terraformálási program keretében alkalmassá tegyék az emberi élet fenntartására. Ám úticéljukon, a Nod bolygón a tudósok olyan váratlan felfedezéssekkel találják szembe magukat, amelyek felülírják eredeti küldetésüket. Ráadásul időközben kénytelenek ráébredni, hogy ...more
Published 2019 by Fumax

To ask other readers questions about A ​pusztulás gyermekei, please sign up.
James Rank If you think females being in a book is a political statement...I do not envy your life…moreIf you think females being in a book is a political statement...I do not envy your life (less)
Nick Marcouiller Yep, I think the octopod evolution is contained to actions in this book. The (human) evolutionary scientist character is selectively applying the…moreYep, I think the octopod evolution is contained to actions in this book. The (human) evolutionary scientist character is selectively applying the virus to successive generations of octopods to bring out their technological understanding and ability to communicate. The difference is the spiders in Children of Time were kind of virus-bombed and left to evolve for thousands of years in isolation.(less)

Start your review of A ​pusztulás gyermekei (Az idő gyermekei, #2)
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
I never thought I would say this... ever but...

I want to keep reading about giant sentient spiders!!
Petrik
ARC provided by the publisher—Pan Macmillan—in exchange for an honest review

3.5/5 stars

Children of Ruin retained everything that’s great about the Children of Time by following its predecessor’s footstep really closely.

Although Children of Time worked absolutely well as a standalone, please do not read Children of Ruin without reading the previous book first because this isn’t a standalone sequel. Tchaikovsky builds upon the foundation and ending from Children of Time to expand the universe
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Not as good as the first one but still awesome! What with spiders I fell in love with <— did I say that out loud?! plus other yummy things out there in the great beyond!! I love this author!

Mel
Bradley
I admit that I was afraid that this might not have turned out as good ... as brilliant ... as the Children of Time, but now that I've read it, I'm happy to say that I'm very happy indeed.

We left our spider/human crew off to explore new worlds and peoples and guess what they found?

A new world and multiple alien species. :) We have all the goodness of Dr. Kern, her ants, the Portias, and the human crew stumbling face first into a free-for-all (or close enough), reacting very badly to the news
Olivia
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this from Netgalley, but this household has already purchased the audiobook.

Let me talk about Adrian Tchaikovsky for a moment: I'm always surprised to find that he's not selling books as though they were hot cakes fresh from the oven. Possibly, because he's so versatile, that not only is each book a completely new adventure, Tchaikovsky switches genres as if it were no big deal.

He's written some brilliant science fiction, an epic high fantasy series that spans ten volumes, but also
Phrynne
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2019
Not quite as good as Children of Time but only because that one had the advantage of surprise. Children of Ruin is a little more predictable because it takes us back into the world of terra forming just on a different planet with a different species.

We join Portia, Bianca, Kern et al on a mission to explore the stars plus there is a separate timeline introducing a planet being developed by humans which features intelligent (very) octopi. And then we meet another life form altogether and things
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/05/09/...

Children of Time was my first experience with Adrian Tchaikovsky, and it was like a revelation. This was a book I loved so much, I wasn’t even sure I had room in my heart for a sequel, so I admit when I heard about Children of Ruin, I approached it with no small amount of skepticism and trepidation.

Well, it seems I needn’t have worried, as Children of Ruin turned out to be a very enjoyable follow-up. I’ll also say that
Maya
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genuinely, I may have enjoyed this even more than Children of Time (a book I loved so much I made a whole podcast about it - see anchor.fm/time-share). Without going into any spoilers, I will just say:

- All my favorite elements of the first book are here, but still such a fresh variation.
- Just as many twists and turns and unexpected plot lines. I do not know how he does it.
- The answer to any question you probably have about the sequel is "yes".
- Incredibly satisfying in every way.

Please
Milda Page Runner
4.5*
Loved it, but it didn’t blow my mind the way Children of Time did. Something about cephalopods being so hard to understand and communicate with. I think that continuous frustration coloured the mood of the book. (Here is the sentence I’d never thought I would say, but) Spiders are very reasonable and cuddly and easy to get along with in comparison.
There is another side of the story, I’d call it a horror side. The less you know about it the better. That one is brilliant! I’d give it 6* stars
Lou
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have waited for what feels like an eternity for the second book in the Children of Time series by critically acclaimed science fiction writer Adrian Tchaikovsky whose name has become synonymous with epic adventure and high-quality, intelligent SF. Being someone who is terrified by spiders in real life the presence of gigantic sentient spiders was a shock to the system, but after discovering they were a lot more friendly than their Earthly counterparts I realised they were a stroke of genius. ...more
Kate
Children of Time is one of my favourite books of all time and I've eagerly awaited its successor. It didn't disappoint. There's more of what we had in the first novel - more spiders, more Kern - but now there's so much extra on top - octopuses and other things. We're given new worlds to explore, in the past and in the present, and it is all stunningly visual. The characters, whatever their species, are well worth spending our time with. Some sections are actually really frightening. This is ...more
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Does this repeat the plot of Children of Time somewhat? Sure. Does it feel a little too long by the end? Kinda. But did I enjoy the HECK out of it? YES!

Full video review: https://youtu.be/bfJueEngiuU
carol.
Timed out at page 203. To be continued.

Thoughts: The narrative proved more disjointed than the first; there's a dual story going on with the upgraded humans from the first book, and a team of exploratory scientists who think they might be the last people in their next of the galaxy. It was odd to realize that these were not only separate corners of the universe, but separate timelines.
Adah Udechukwu
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Children of Ruin is a great novel but it is complex.
It is not the good kind of complex. It is the bad kind of complex.
It is the kind of complex that is long, exhaustive and sometimes boring.
Trish
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Space. The final frontier. These are the ongoing adventures of the space spiders! Yay!

This is the sequel to The Children of Time in which we followed some humans escaping the war on Earth and searching for a potential new habitat for the human race. They found a suitable planet but then there was an accident resulting in a virus on board the human vessel landing on said planet and infecting the local population of arachnids - who subsequently became much more intelligent and therefore advanced
Cathy
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
In case you wonder over the course of this book, the word octopus has three possible plurals:
Plural 1: the octopuses
Plural 2: the octopi
Plural 3: the octopodes

This book is just so funny, with the jumping spiders and those wacky, overemotional octopi...

I struggled a bit with the latter part of the book. It was hard to follow by audio (aka I kept getting distracted and missed bits and pieces). Maybe (definitely) it was me, audio still sometimes stumps me and my scatter brain wanders off. I
Justine
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read

A worthy sequel to one of my favourite books of all time, Children of Time.

I've spent a lot of time with Tchaikovsky this month, having also read his other new release, Cage of Souls. Both books showcase Tchaikovsky's talent as an incredibly creative and literate writer. The only thing I feel I can ever be assured of with his SF stories is that I never know what I'm going to find between the pages (so to speak, as I read everything on my ereader, but the sentiment remains).

I don't want
Hank
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So you think this book is about space octopuses? Partially yes but at its core, it is another Tchaikovsky book determined to imagine other (alien?) intelligence. The main, other intelligence, character in this one isn't the octopuses, although they are a great part of the supporting cast. The real star is a (view spoiler). That was a minor spoiler that you get to learn about fairly soon into the story but I don't ...more
Gabi
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He did it again!

Does the story of this book has similarities with the first novel "Children of Time"? Yes, it has. Does this bother me? Not the slightest!

Again Tchaikovsky takes an in fiction rather seldomly wrote about species, the octopodes, and shows their evolution using biological specialities of those kind of animals. As with the spiders in book one he stays true to the animal nature of his protagonists and avoids anthropomorphization - which is a rare. This alone is worth 5 stars for me.
J. E. Sambora
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Thank you to Pan Macmillan for the early proof copy.

*Spoiler Free Review*

First let me say; Tchaikovsky's earlier title, 'Children Of Time' is necessary reading to be able to fully appreciate and understand the story this book is telling.

This book contains everything I adored about the first installment. Brains, language, spiders, space travel, technology... All while making subtle (and sometimes not-so-subtle) comments on topics such as over-population, colonisation, religion, sentience,
Lindsay
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Children of Time was an awesome achievement of a book, chronicling the rise of a non-human intelligent species (nano-machine modified portia spiders) over centuries and their eventual contact with humans. It ended with a tantalizing epilogue, skipping another few centuries into the future to the point where humans, spiders and an uploaded partly-organic AI depart their world on a mission of discovery to the stars aboard the Voyager. "Spider Trek" as it were.

The story starts with the deep history
Scott
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Adrian Tchaikovsky visits the Pan Macmillan publishing office – a play in one scene.

As the scene opens ADRIAN TCHAIKOVSKY sits in a spacious office, in a chair facing a vast walnut desk. At the desk, in a huge black leather chair and smoking an ostentatiously large cigar, sits middle-aged publishing Executive SEYMOUR BUCKS. SEYMOUR leans across his desk to shake ADRIAN’S hand.

SB: Great to see you Adrian. Can I call you Ades?

AC: Well, it sounds a little like ‘AIDS’, but I guess…

SB: Great. Look,
Mr. Windup Bird
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who enjoyed Children of Time
TLDR: In my opinion, a must read and worthy sequel to Children of Time.

Like Children of Time, Ruin is a deep dive into the difficulty, and value of intercommunication. The struggle to communicate effectively is illustrated as "first contact" scenarios between the various species of the "Time" lore, but the obvious terrestrial parallels cannot be ignored. Children of Ruin tacitly leaves the reader to ponder humanity's fate.

Children of Ruin, even more so than Time, spends a great deal of time
Scott  Hitchcock
Book 1: 5*+
Book 2: 3.75*'s

AT's books tend to do one way or the other for me. Guns of the Dawn and Children of Time are both as good as it gets. Redemption's Blade and Ironclads were snoozefests.

The difference in all four of those books was if AT was able to build an attachment for me to the characters. There's no doubt about his world building. The storytelling is vivid and detailed. The problem is at times he gets sucked up in the menusha of the subcurrents of particular details and forgets
Jamie
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding followup to Children of Time, following similar themes of first contact and extra solar terraforming gone horribly awry, mostly as a result of human hubris. Tchaikovsky weaves a fresh, wildly imaginative tale, building on the previous story's foundations. This, however, is considerably darker, and often feels like a thriller, with some definite creepy (view spoiler) and apocalyptic vibes. The story is masterfully crafted, with ...more
Donna Backshall
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all speculative fiction fans -- but read Children of Time first!
Children of Ruin closely follows Children of Time, with a richness of speculation and perspective that I rarely encounter in space operas. Adrian Tchaikovsky's ability to put the reader into a wholly unknowable alien species' mind is difficult to explain, but in a word, it is perfection.

As well, Mel Hudson's narration in the Audible version brings the frustration, the earnest drive for survival, and the depth of conviction through with each word, each utterance, each explosion of bafflement.
Jemppu
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"We are going on an adventure."

This was wonderful. Trademark confident and capable Tchaikovsky. Including a happy rarity too: I did not expect to find any as relatable a character here as Senkovi.
Luke Burrage
A good book! Very satisfying to have an author who understands what people liked about the first book, and gives you more of that in the second, rather than just spending more time with the characters.

Full review on my podcast, SFBRP episode #405.

Izzie
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, audio
Children of Time works so brilliantly as a standalone that I was kind of worried going into this. There was no need to be, however. Children of Ruin has everything I enjoyed from the previous instalment and then threw a few more things into the mix, the result of which is a complex, scientific, thrilling, and occasionally chilling sci-fi epic.
Georgiana Derwent
I absolutely loved the first book in this series, Children of Time. It was such an all-encompassing sci-fi novel – 10 000 years of history! The evolution of an entire intelligent species! – that I was a little surprised to see a sequel. I couldn’t help wondering how the author was going to top or match that and where he could possibly take the plot next, but I was excited to find out. Ultimately though, while this was an interesting and entertaining enough read, it never really hit quite the ...more

• Interference (Semiosis Duology, #2)
  • Salvation Lost
  • Fall, or Dodge in Hell
  • Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse, #8)
  • Permafrost
  • Exhalation: Stories
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan, #1)
  • The Quantum Magician
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • The Light Brigade
  • The Warship (Rise of the Jain #2)
  • Semiosis (Semiosis Duology, #1)
  • Ancestral Night (White Space, #1)
  • The Rosewater Insurrection (The Wormwood Trilogy, #2)
  • Velocity Weapon (The Protectorate #1)
  • Empress of Forever
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • The Quantum Garden
ADRIAN TCHAIKOVSKY was born in Lincolnshire and studied zoology and psychology at Reading, before practising law in Leeds. He is a keen live role-player and occasional amateur actor and is trained in stage-fighting. His literary influences include Gene Wolfe, Mervyn Peake, China Miéville, Mary Gently, Steven Erikson, Naomi Novak, Scott Lynch and Alan Campbell.

Children of Time (2 books)
  • Children of Time (Children of Time #1)
“evolution had gifted them with a profoundly complex toolkit for taking the world apart to see if there was a crab hiding under it.” 3 likes
“Despite the barriers to communication, they have developed an idiolect of their own, mostly devoted to complaining.” 2 likes