Start by marking “Never Stop Dancing: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Never Stop Dancing: A Memoir

Never Stop Dancing: A Memoir

A story of grief, male friendship, and healing conversations.

"Be present," "cherish each day," "always say I love you." John Robinette lived those words. Or so he thought. Then his wife, Amy, was killed instantly in a pedestrian accident.

John's world shattered, and he began the grueling task of parenting two young boys in a house filled with vibrant, bittersweet
Published October 10th 2019 by Inner Harbor House, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Never Stop Dancing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Stop Dancing

Start your review of Never Stop Dancing: A Memoir
Herbivorous
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The bulk of this book was derived from a series of conversations between two friends over the first year after author John Robinette's wife was killed. The resulting document honors the confusion and anger of grief, as John grapples with questions from the profound to the mundane as he tries to put his life back together for himself and his two young boys.

The book is written in the first person, primarily in John's voice but with chapters framed by short sections where Robert talks about his
Rebecca
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captures John’s voice. Reading this feels like having a conversation with him. It was good to finally hear/read the whole story of what happened. I liked the detail on coping with daily life with the kids. Also the material on dating. And the reflections on yin yang and the boys’ questions.
Kayo
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sad book, but also gives hope. Much to think about with this book. Definite must read!

Thanks to author,publisher and Netgalley for the chance to read this book. While I got the book for free,it had no bearing on the rating I gave it.
Happy Booker
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never stop dancing is a Memoir. The book is written about grief, friendships and love. The loss of John’s wife is the prominent and most impactful part of the content. The loss truly moves his home and world, and as he grieves over the absence of his wife, he raises two young boys. Robert, who is John’s friend, interviews him for the first year, and the book becomes a back and forth dialogue of memories retold by him.

The literature is a good representation of the struggles people go through
Kathleen Garber
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've read books on death but this book is like no other, in a good way. Robert interviews John over and over starting from right after he loses his wife in a tragic accident until a year after the death. John opens up much more then you would expect and shares it ALL. All his thoughts, all his fears, all his memories, what it's REALLY like after losing someone you love and having to raise two boys on your own.

The book is gripping, I had trouble putting it down. I've been lucky that I haven't
Debbie
Thanks to Netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for a fair review.

I went into reading this having no idea what it was about. I picked it because after doing a bunch of genealogy for a family member who is interested in such things, I knew that John Robinette is probably a distant cousin of mine (and also Joe Biden's).

This story delves into the deepest and saddest aspects of life. The narrative is unusually constructed. John tells the story to his good friend over an extended course of
Goth Gone Grey
Beautiful, eloquent, difficult read

Exploring one man's journey through a year of grief, as told to a friend, this is not a lightweight, frivolous read. It starts with the raw emotion borne and carried by unexpected tragedy, and slowly turns to introspection as time passes. The style of interviews every few months to check in and see how John's faring show the grief process in his life in a unique, yet universal fashion.

The writing is personal, raw and heartfelt, with moments of questioning, and
Lesley
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although extremely sad situation I felt the book went a little too long and not a great deal different to many others that have written about similar situations, not a lot of content that held my concentration. Sorry I couldn’t give it a five star.
Anthony
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Review

This novel was emotionally and beautifully written. While steeped in tragedy and pain, the bond created by these events and the painful process of grief have given readers and the authors alike an experience like no other. In this novel, the eloquently written interviews between two friends take readers through John’s painful journey through the sudden loss of his wife. From the heartbreaking moment he’s confronted with the news, having to tell all his family about it, the first time
Jeffrey Hatcher
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Never Stop Dancing”, by John Robinette and Robert Jacoby (Inner Harbor House, LLC, Takoma Park, 2019) reads like a cathartic tide of empathy and tragedy cresting from book to reader and back again. If it strains you much after the first 60% of text (and it may), do not put it down. Like those books we read in high school English class, it has a way of sticking to you that more entertaining and easier paced texts lack. It is heavy for the right educational and humanistic reasons.

I received this
Laura Frank
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is for everybody, man or woman. It’s easy to connect with John and Robert. Struggling through devastating loss and supporting that person. So thought provoking I took notes.
Daisy Dooley
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On April 29th 2010, John Robinette said goodbye to his wife Amy and went to work. Just a normal day. But John's life, and that of their two boys Adam and Bryan, was to be changed forever that day. Amy was crossing the road on her way to work when she was hit by a truck driver and killed instantly. John's friend Robert Jacoby sat down with John and conducted a series of interviews documenting the first year following Amy's death. This memoir, or rather, this 'testament to love and life' is the ...more
Maria Martino
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and honest story of grief and loss. The raw emotion felt as we read about the author’s year after the loss of his wife makes us realize how important it is to really live in the moment. Highly recommend
Padmini Roy
A sad yet hopeful tale of love and loss. At times difficult to read but death is not an easy topic. Written with great sensitivity. Received my copy from Book Sirens and though free, this has no reflection on my review of the book.
Eli
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I may be biased because I know the author, but I loved this book. So beautiful, and sad and hopeful at the same time.
Michelle Levesque

• CHATS WITH GOD IN UNDERWEAR
  • Immaculate Conception: A Novel
  • The Marshal
  • FORGET NORMS: A Provocative Reasoning
  • Immortal Defiance (Dulcea's Rebellion, #1)
  • Dominion of the Star (Descendants of the Fallen Book 1)
  • The Last Erdane (#1)
  • That Will Never Work: The Birth of Netflix and the Amazing Life of an Idea
  • Better Off Bald: A Life in 147 Days
  • She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement
  • The Grace Year
  • Every Thing You Are
  • The World That We Knew
After the death of his wife Amy Polk, John began journaling on his blog Hole in the Sun about his journey and has contributed to Elephant Journal.

John has a B.S., and M.S., in Management Science and spent the first 25 years of his career as a software engineer, IT professional, and project manager. After Amy’s death, he shifted his focus towards helping people be more successful and find more joy