Start by marking “For Her Own Good” as Want to Read:
For Her Own Good

For Her Own Good

From USA Today Bestselling author Tamsen Parker comes a taboo romance of risk-taking, redemption, and how to give voice to our greatest fears and our greatest desires.

“Don’t be greedy,” he murmurs into my hair, and it makes me all the more desperate.
“Daddy, I am greedy.”

When Dr. Lowry Campbell saved my life as a suicidal teen, I thought he was the most perfect man I’d
Kindle Edition
Published October 21st 2019

To ask other readers questions about For Her Own Good, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Her Own Good

Start your review of For Her Own Good
Briar's Reviews
Oh man, oh man, oh man! Another Tamsen Parker gem!!

This book is a 6 out of 5, but unfortunately that rating does not exist on this site so I guess I can settle with just a 5 out of 5.

Seriously though, this one was a DOOZIE!

Tamsen has amped up the plot, has some truly epic references and kept me hooked the entire time! Starla and Lowry (amazing names, by the way) are one incredibly interesting pair that make this book feel more than just a romantic, erotic tale. These characters felt real - men
warhawke
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Daddy's girls
Genre: Contemporary/Erotic Romance
Type: Standalone
POV: First Person - Dual
Rating:

Wealth meant nothing to Starla Patrick when she had been battling with her mental well-being for half of her life. Fifteen years ago a psychiatrist changed her life in more than one way. Now, Dr. Lowry Campbell is back and upended her life all over again. This time around, things would be different for better or worse.

If I only have one thing to say about Lowry it’s that aye, he’s a fecking nice Scottish bloke wit
Gabrielle
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5

I cant remember a time when I felt more seen in a book than this. I wasnt really sure what I was walking into with this but this turned out to be painful and cathartic and amazing. I do have to mention that this book deals HEABILY with mental illness and suicide topics so if that's a trigger then I would steer clear. There was a lot of passages that called to exactly the way I feel when my depression raised its head as well as my feelings on DDLG kinks. This book also had THE single most sexi
Jessica Alcazar
The first thing I want to make sure everyone understands is that if you’re looking for a daddy kink taboo read, this isn’t it. I’m probably not going to say this correctly, but this is the story of a grown woman making her mental health circumstances her bitch who also happens to prefer a protector/someone to take charge sexually. Her sexual kink happens to manifest itself best when Daddy takes care of his little girl. Starla’s inner child/little girl is ever present in her life and she thrives ...more
LaToya (Readingbythebayou)
This one was just ok. It had the bones to be a great story but it didn't hold my attention. It was way too much talking in their heads and not to each other. There was also a lot of medical jargon used dealing with mental health issues but it made the book less enjoyable for me. I struggled rating this one.
Silvana [The Book Voyagers]
DNF at 50%

I talk about this book in my upcoming video but tbh I was enjoying this book but it was taking too long. It is a slow burn romance so!!! Take that into account. It's really intense and heavy on themes (Content warnings: suicide attempt and massive depression). Also another aspect that led me to DNF easier was that the hero/heroine met each other when the heroine was a minor because the hero was her psychiatrist. They felt an attraction to each other but did nothing about it! 15 years p
Jess *lovetolovebooks*
I’ll treat her as fragile not because she is, but because life has already tried to shatter her on the floor one too many times, and wouldn’t it be nice if someone cradled her for once?

For Her Own Good was phenomenal! I kind of went in expecting the classic Daddy/little girl read, and what I got was an incredible representation of depression, kink relationships, and a healthy mixture of the two.
Starla has suffered from extreme depression since she was young, but after finding a treatment that wo
Leigh Kramer
CW: depression, suicide, death of a parent

Ginger Scottish ex-psychiatrist Daddy kink. As you might expect, it’s super hot. As you might not expect, it’s also a compassionate, nuanced exploration of grief and mental health.

Starla is not pleased when Lowry happens to sit next to her on a plane. They haven’t seen each other in 15 years, since the night he found her at rock bottom and took her to the hospital. He was her psychiatrist at the time and suddenly up and left his job and her by default. M
Eleanor (The Book Hammock)
OhMyGawd!!! Hello perfection.

I don’t think I could’ve loved this book any more than I did. It’s definitely a super close runner up to Parker’s Craving Flight, and yup, emotionally it surpassed the Compass Series ⬅️ Never in a million years did I think that could happen.

Anyhow, let’s get to the point.

Daddy kink isn’t something I normally find all that interesting, probably because I don’t really understand how it can be differentiated from “regular” father/daughter relationship. BUT!!! and that’s
Norma
I received an ARC of this book for an honest review.

For Her Own Good is a forbidden, age-gap romance that has a bit of kink thrown in. The story focuses on Doctor Lowry Campbell and Starla Parker. Lowry was Starla’s doctor when she was an adolescent battling with depression.

Once she turns 18, he leaves Boston for Chicago for fifteen years, only to return, and a chance encounter puts them side by side on his flight back. She is also on the flight to Boston after completing some work in Chicago.

I
Michaelene
Content Warnings: (view spoiler)

Tamsen Parker's For Her Own Good was a slow-burn, daddy kink, and slightly forbidden romance featuring a wealthy businesswoman MC dealing with depression and her Scottish ex-psychiatrist discovering his own kinky leanings. Oh, and an age gap! I quite enjoyed this one, even if it'
Kate Bailey
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I don't know what I was expecting with this book, but I got so much more than I imagined. Full honesty, it took me a little bit to get in to the story, but when it hooked me, I was stuck tight. The storyline was unique and the development of the story arc flowed smoothly throughout the book. I loved the characters. Lowry was so sexy and caring to Starla's needs. And Starla, my heart ached for her. I loved how Parker wrote this book facing the mental issues of depression and anxiety head on, ...more
Laurel Nilsen
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a little while to get into this book and I wasn’t sure what to expect as this is the first book by this author and this genre and it took a bit of getting use to. This book is about Lowry and Starla and a love that is forbidden to start with but fast forward 15 years and add a bit of kink in and you have a match made. Starla struggles with depression and Lowry knows how to handle her. Some serious steamy scenes and your anxiety will have you sitting on the edge of you seat. If you lik ...more
CourtRocks'
3.5 Stars!
This was my first book by Tamsen, and it was pretty good. I love Doctor/Patient romances, so this was a must for me, and I'm glad I did. It was definetely a steamier book, though there are some things I didn't care for in this book, without giving too much away, one involves another woman and pain, though not in the way you may think. Some things were a little too over the top for me to actually think of it as hot too. Overall good book, and will definetely be checking out more books b
Tammy
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Campbell saved Starla’s live when she was a suicidal teen and then he just disappeared. Now 15 years later he is back and sparks are flying between them. It is three short months before Starla will be the wealthiest woman on the Eastern Seaboard. Can she trust the reason Dr. Campbell came back? Fast-paced read loads of drama and amazing chemistry. I was hooked from beginning the end. The story draws you in and Starla is an amazing character. I loved it.
Melinda Benn
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a new author to me, so I didn't know what to expect. I ended up enjoying this book.
Erin Benson
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Jackie
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have some mixed feelings about Parker's latest erotic romance, despite the high rating I've given it. The writing is fabulous (unsurprising, given Parker's track record), the characters sympathetic and compelling, and the kink is portrayed with respect and care. But the idea of a psychiatrist/patient sexual relationship, even if the psychiatrist hasn't treated the patient in a VERY long time, gave me pause.

The story:
A male psychiatrist who had an inappropriate attraction to an adolescent femal
Sara
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read

I flounced Taming His Teacher but decided to give this one a try and I loved it. The characters are older and more established, plus they already have a history. They deal with some very serious stuff-mental illnesses, abandonment, guilt... The story is very compelling and I enjoyed everything about the romance in addition to the mental health and business parts of the plot.
ArtofReads
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ddlg-romance
I just love a taboo romance, and I am constantly searching for lengthy novels that explore kink and bdsm lifestyle’s that go outside the bedroom. This book felt very real. Lowry and Starla were a breath of fresh air. I appreciate how Starla was the one to introduce her ddlg kink to Lowry, and he came into his role naturally and eager to learn. For Her Own Good was truly a sweet romance that touches on real life experiences from mental health, insecurity, and decision making.
Jacque
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stunning

This book was truly excellent!! Seeing Starla & Lowry Learn to love each other & grow throughout the book was really awesome, and the depiction of depression was handled really deftly (duh its #ownvoices but I thought it still merited a shout out👌🏼)
Francine Taitague
Dec 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF. The main character was just really childish in my opinion and there’s was a lot of chapters I just passed through cause it was such a snooze. & the whole calling Him “daddy” thing was just super awkward for me. Not my cup of tea. ...more
Ash
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. I really enjoyed this book - what an interesting look at mental health, which I didn't really expect.

Now, ahem, there is some smut... like, a lot of smut... and it's REALLY good smut if your into that whole Daddy thing. If your not, you should pass on this one.
Elci
Feb 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5⭐️

It started well, then it just got long af.
Kathy
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good writing just not a story line I like
Jill
Oct 16, 2020 rated it did not like it
Pass

I barely made it through the prologue let alone the first chapter. Tightness characters don't interrst me at all. Ugh
Johan Bastiaanssen
Tamsen Parker has written a beautiful story that deals with several difficult topics. It is a love story between a psychiatrist and his much younger patient. Starla is suffering from severe depressions since she was a teenager. Lowry is a relatively new psychiatrist struggling to find a therapy that works. Confronted with a growing attraction to his patient, he decides to flee to another state, thinking it is for the best, but not realizing the impact this would have on Starla.
The book describe
Trader (RedHotBlueReads)
For Her Own Good is a taboo/forbidden doctor/ex-patient romance between Starla, the former patient and Dr. Lowry Campbell who is also 18 years older. It's a smorgasbord of forbidden romance.

Their relationship spans many years and there is trust to be rebuild between the adult Starla and Lowry.As they work their way through things, their relationship is a slow- building - burn and while it takes a while to get to the romantic stuff, that's okay because the anticipation works in the story.

It's al
Bex_Book_Revieux
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For Her Own Good is a forbidden romance with an added element of kink.

The story is well written, perfectly edited, with an excellent timeline, and arc, but it was a little clinical for me.

I'm unclear if it was written that way because the H is a doctor, and so that might be how he perceives his place in the world at all times, but I would have expected as their relationship heated up so to would his description of that relationship.

Starla's character is written amazingly well, sounding much li
Erica
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure what I was getting into, originally thinking it would be a relationship with a girl with a daddy complex. This story is so much more than that. The history these two characters have and their coming together again later in life is so we'll developed. Really enjoyed the storyline!

• Sacrifice (Bloodline Vampires #1)
  • Your Dad Will Do (A Touch of Taboo #1)
  • Learn My Lesson (Wicked Villains, #2)
  • Gifting Me To His Best Friend (A Touch of Taboo #2)
  • A Worthy Opponent (Wicked Villains, #3)
  • The Beast (Wicked Villains, #4)
  • Him
  • Desperate Measures (Wicked Villains, #1)
  • Act Your Age
  • Daddy's Angel
  • Nuts (Ace's Wild, #2)
  • Reindeer Games (Ace's Wild, #6)
  • Loosen Up (Ace's Wild, #5)
  • Reunion (Ace's Wild #7)
  • Flash Rip
  • Science & Jockstraps (Ace's Wild, #1)
  • Spreadsheets (Ace's Wild #8)
  • Boys & Toys (Ace's Wild #9)
Tamsen Parker is a stay-at-home mom by day, erotic romance writer by naptime. She lives with her family outside of Boston, where she tweets too much, sleeps too little and is always in the middle of a book. Aside from good food, sweet rieslings and gin cocktails, she has a fondness for monograms and subway maps. She should really start drinking coffee.

You can sign up for her newsletter here to fin

News & Interviews