Start by marking “Desperate Ground: (Ali Sinclair #1) (Ali Sinclair Thriller)” as Want to Read:
Desperate Ground: (Ali Sinclair #1) (Ali Sinclair Thriller)

Desperate Ground: (Ali Sinclair #1) (Ali Sinclair Thriller)

When the secrecy of a nuclear weapon agreement is thrown into doubt, a disgraced intelligence operative is recruited to find out if the deal is still safe…
Ali Sinclair, wrongly convicted and on the run from a Mexican prison, is enlisted to infiltrate her old friend’s inner circle and find the evidence.
The only people on her side are an ex-Cold War spook and the former
Kindle Edition
Published October 19th 2019 by Crow's Foot Books

To ask other readers questions about Desperate Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desperate Ground

Start your review of Desperate Ground: (Ali Sinclair #1) (Ali Sinclair Thriller)
Sue
DESPERATE GROUND by L.J. Morris is a gripping action thriller, that will have you glued to your seat, enjoying the non-stop action. This is not normally the type of book that I am drawn to as I primarily enjoy reading mystery suspense psychological thrillers, but it was a refreshing change and I really enjoyed it.

This novel begins from a Mexican prison, where the strong female protagonist, Ali Sinclair, wrongly convicted and waiting to be released by the British government, escapes from prison
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Admittedly I wasn't to sure if this would be my type of read but I am so glad I gave it a go as I was gripped from the off and really enjoyed it.

Ali is a force to be reckoned with. Nothing seems to phase her. She finds herself in situations that would be my worst nightmare and would sent me into a complete melt down. Ali though is pretty much calm and collective on the outside while her head meticulously works out how she is going to handle it.

Frank is someone that Ali has worked with and known
Books 'n' All  Promotions
Ali Sinclair is a fiesty lady who sacrificed her freedom to help a friend. She escaped from a Mexican prison with the help of her friend Frank McGill. The pair then become involved in preventing a group carry out terrorism on a massive scale.

The book moves along steadily. I felt with all the action it should have been faster paced but it was missing something for me.

The main characters are Ali and Frank and although they were at the forefront all the way through the book I don’t feel I learned
Alexina
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having previously read Rob Sinclairs Red Cobra Trilogy and enjoying them, I felt the blurb had some similarities, but I was excited to see that the protagonist was Ali, a female. I had no hesitation in requesting Desperate Ground.
I appreciated that the author gave us a strong female lead, but kept her from being too harshly portrayed. This made me want to be alongside her on every step of this traumatic journey.
Mc Gill was an interesting balancing character to Ali, and also when Ali’s friend
Between The Pages Book Club (Gemma M)
This is a one of a kind story, different from those everyday thrillers that all seem the same. Desperate Ground is unique and had me hooked! Very impressed. I didn’t think I would enjoy this story as much as I did! I loved the relationship and bond between Ali and Frank.

Ali is a brilliant, strong willed and clever female lead character within this story who is not to be messed with. Desperate Ground is an action packed thriller that doesn’t stop until the last page and a brilliant debut by L.J.
Susan Hampson
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This isn’t really a very long book but it certainly packs and punch and put my imagination into overdrive. Working under cover really takes on a new meaning for Ali Sinclair because a few Mexicans would like to welcome her back for an extended stay. Ali’s best buddy Frank McGill and MI6 had other plans though. Once back on home ground Ali is soon tangled up with what should have been a programme to safe guard the world but could lead to its destruction with unthinkable casualties.
If you love
Julie Lacey
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a gripping thriller.
Frank McGill helps Ali Sinclair to escape from a Mexican prison where she was waiting to be released by the British government. They had more or less washed their hands of her so it was down to Frank to help her.
They are soon asked to help MI6 with a very sensitive task which involves nuclear weapons and their lives are soon at risk.
Ali is asked to get information from an old friend but she finds it hard to get past all the security surrounding her. Once she’s in
Silver Surfer
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a brilliant start to what could be a very long series. Again feisty female just what I like. It’s non stop action all the way through. I just couldn’t put it down. This is a cracking action thriller, you won’t be disappointed. Highly recommended must read.
David Baird
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ali Sinclair and Frank McGill are not to be messed with.. Ali has quite a skill set and with Frank backing her up with fire power when needed you are in deep trouble if they come calling.

Sinclair has spent time behind bars for a crime she didn’t commit.. she took the blame for the right reasons but she will never trust those in power again who left her in a hell hole of a prison.

When Sinclair breaks free Frank is their waiting.. nows she’s keeping her head down as she will be sent back to jail
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

I think I have found a new contender for my top book of 2018 list! What a mind-blowing, oxygen denying, high speed read! This review will be vague and short because I don't want to give anything away, not even a smidge.

It's not often I say this but after you have purchased 'Desperate Ground' and are getting ready to read it - turn off all phones, mute the children, mute the dog and put a 'do not disturb' sign on your
Beverley
Desperate Ground by LJ Morris opens with a shocking moment and what follows is an adrenalin fuelled trip which takes us from a Mexican prison to London and to dark corners of the US. Ali is on the run. Desperate to get home to the UK she is trapped in the US and is constantly looking over shoulder. When her friend and confidant, Franks, finds a way to help her escape the US she jumps at the chance. It means working for those in the top echelons of power in London and requires nerves of steel. ...more
Fiona Quinn
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This pacy action thriller is just my kind of read. The pairing of principled and strong Ali Sinclair and her take no prisoners friend Frank McGill is inspired. Promising that this formidable team will have numerous further outings.

The story grips from the start with Ali's escape with Frank's help from a Mexican prison. I don't want to say too much, as I detest spoilers but they must work in the shadows, their lives at risk and the stakes involve a nuclear weapon. What more do you want?

Desperate
Carol Butler
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Desperate Ground is exciting fast pace and edge of your seat thriller. Not overly long but throws a good punch. This is a new author for me but will certainly be looking out for him again. The heroine in this instant is back in a Mexican jail where she first started and after escaping once bet they will be keeping their eyes open this time in case it happens again, so hopefully there will be another book as Ali is waiting for the British to hold their hands up as they know she is innocent and ...more
Sandra
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been promising myself a read of this since March last year. It arrived yesterday afternoon, I read a bit before bedtime and finished it over a (very) long lunch today.

It's a bit of a sideways step from my usual genres but, as with Chris Simms, contains a fast-paced, lucidly-plotted, high tension story which I much enjoyed, with the pairing of Ali Sinclair and Frank McGill to give it the central relationship focus which, in my opinion, every book needs.
Best of all it looks like this is -
Donna Maguire

I love this kind of book so after reading the blurb for the book I jumped at the chance to get my hands on a copy and read it as soon as it landed on my Kindle!!

I was thrown straight in to the story and gripped right from the first few pages, I thought that it was excellent, definitely a read for me and I loved the characters, plot, pace, cover, pretty much everything!! The story was detailed enough to keep me entertained throughout and I loved guessing
David Pyrah
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cracking read, McGill & Sinclair are a formidable team. The story skips along nicely, never getting too hung up on the characters, although they are fleshed out nicely. A good story line partly believable. Still a thriller is a thriller, would recommend as a good read.
Robin Loves Reading
After being wrongly convicted, former intelligence operative Ali Sinclair has been hiding out ever since her escape from a Mexican jail. Only good friend and ex-Marine Frank McGill knows her whereabouts. Meanwhile, Ali's friend Jo Quinn was seen with an arms dealer apparently connected to a nuclear weapons agreement. MI6 recruits Ali to spy on her friend for what could ultimately lead to saving the lives of hundreds of thousands of people. Ali is skating on thin ice while McGill works closely ...more
Matt
david gardner
Jul 06, 2018
Mrs V J Griffiths
May 14, 2019

• The Puppet Show (Washington Poe, #1)
  • Black Summer (Washington Poe, #2)
  • The Flight of the Darkstar Dragon
  • The Wolf in Winter (Charlie Parker, #12)
  • Kill For Me (Victor the Assassin, #8)
  • Day Four (The Three #2)
  • A Book of Bones (Charlie Parker, #17)
  • The Three (The Three, #1)
  • Die Cold (Jake Boulder, #4)
  • A Song of Shadows (Charlie Parker, #13)
  • Pray for Death (Gunn Brothers #3)
  • A Game of Ghosts (Charlie Parker, #15)
  • Deadly Harm
  • The Woman in the Woods (Charlie Parker, #16)
  • Dark Ice (Dan Reno, #4)
  • Under the Woods (The Forensic Files #5)
  • Song of the Centurion (Warrior Druid of Britain #2)
  • Don't You Dare