Start by marking “House of Wishes” as Want to Read:
House of Wishes

House of Wishes

A story about the choices we make, the connections that matter, the secrets we keep, and the power of a wish.
Dandelion House, 1974
Two teenage girls—strangers—make a pact to keep a secret.
Calingarry Crossing, 2014
For forty years, Beth and her mum have been everything to each other, but Beth is blind-sided when her mother dies, and her last wish is to have her ashes
Published November 19th 2019 by Wild Myrtle Press

To ask other readers questions about House of Wishes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House of Wishes

Start your review of House of Wishes
Sharon
Once again Aussie author Jenn J. McLeod has blown me away with another fabulous read. An author who can draw the attention of their readers within the first few pages is a really gifted author in my opinion and that’s exactly what Jenn J. McLeod is.

House of Wishes is a captivating and moving story with characters you warm to straight away. I absolutely loved this book and have no hesitation in highly recommending it to anyone who enjoys a great story.
Brenda
Beth had never heard of Calingarry Crossing but here she was, driving the long journey from Sydney to a tiny bush town in NSW, not far from the border of Queensland, to fulfil her beloved mother’s last wish. The spreading of her ashes in a particular section of Calingarry Crossing’s cemetery puzzled Beth, but she would do as her Mum wanted then leave once again…

After an inauspicious introduction to the town, Beth found herself in front of a sign which read Dandelion House Retreat – but it wasn’t
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
‘My mother has evidently kept secrets. But we all do, don’t we?’

Answering the call from her readers to return to the site of two of her previous novels, House for all Seasons and Simmering Season, valued Australian storyteller Jenn J. McLeod is back with a new consuming tale. House of Wishes is a story of personal choices, meaningful requests and unforgettable bonds. Traversing two captivating time periods, Jenn J. McLeod’s latest and much anticipated new
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
House of Wishes by Jenn J. McLeod is a captivating stand-alone novel with loose links to two of her previous five novels, House of All Seasons and Simmering Season.

Moving between two timelines, set forty years apart, House of Wishes offers an enjoyable and poignant exploration of grief, love, belonging and redemption.

The narrative shifts between Beth’s journey to understand her late mother’s wish to have her ashes scattered over an unmarked grave in the rural town of Calingarry Crossing in
Helen
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those stories that will draw you in, it is compelling and moving with characters who are strong, caring and loving, set in two timelines 1974 and 2014, I savoured every word, it is a story of love, heart-break and secrets set around Dandelion House and it starts in 1974 with two young teenagers and a bond they formed, then we meet Beth who has a task that must be filled, this one is a must read.

In 2014 Beth has just lost her mother, they have been very close, but when her mother
Len Klumpp
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant

This is one of the best Novels I have read. From start to finish, Jenn J McLeod took me on one amazing emotional journey. Highly recommend, House of Wishes. Brilliant.
Pamela
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good to see this wonderful author treating readers with a new book. Lovers of Jenn J's previous books are going to devour this poignant story of family, love and belonging. From the opening scenes where we meet grief-stricken Beth to the final chapters where a decades long secret is finally revealed the story takes us on a journey that will have you laughing one minute and crying the next. Beautifully written, with a cast of country characters Jenn has made her trademark. I was fortunate to ...more
Lily Malone
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Jenn J McLeod's return to Calingarry Crossing and Dandelion House - but I knew I would. Jenn has an approachable writing style that appeals to me, and a lovely warm way of putting words on the page.
In House Of Wishes, it took me just a little while to get into the 'modern' part of the story involving Beth's arrival at Calingarry Crossing, but once Lissy, Irene and Don's storyline grabbed me - it didn't let go. I am so glad Australian society has moved on from terms and times
Patricia
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Glorious book!! Having "discovered" Jenn J McLeod through Beauty and Lace Book Club with "House For All Seasons," I've eagerly awaited each new novel and never been disappointed. This wonderful addition to Calingarry Crossing's original House/Seasons series is possibly my favourite 2019 read and I've read some absolutely excellent books. From the first touch of the beautiful, velvet feel cover to the last word it is exquisite and wonderful.
We get to understand Gypsy, the woman who bequeathed
Ann D
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It was wonderful to return to the setting of House for all Seasons and Simmering Season. House of Wishes is a wonderful book, where I didn't cry but I'm sure many would. I felt sad but I also had a smile and a laugh. I would recommend this book to anyone. You don't need to have read the previous books but if you have, you will revisit out friends. Well done Jenn J McLeod.
I loved House for all Seasons and I feel like it's been rounded off.
Jodi
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jenn J McLeod doesn't disappoint in her latest novel, House of Wishes. A heartfelt and emotional story with characters who latch onto your heart and keep you reading to make sure they're okay. With beautiful imagery, you will see the story playing out and remember this one for a long time. 5 stars.
Ngarie
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Strong female leads
Finding your place
Finding your people
Finding peace

Such wonderful warm, empathetic and intelligent storytelling.
Kate
Jeannette
Oct 25, 2019

• Just One Wish
  • Cross My Heart
  • Return to Stringybark Creek (The Callahans of Stringybark Creek #3)
  • Riverstone Ridge
  • Last Bridge Before Home (Chalk Hill #3)
  • The Cinema at Starlight Creek
  • Long Way Home (Brockenridge, #1)
  • The Model Wife
  • The Good Woman of Renmark
  • Holding onto Hope
  • The Wife and the Widow
  • The Girl in the Painting
  • The Boundary Fence (a Woodlea Novel, #7)
  • One Summer Between Friends
  • Heart of the Cross
  • Up on Horseshoe Hill
  • The Lawson Sisters
  • The Strangers We Know
Jenn J McLeod loves ticking things off her bucket list. So far she’s made that sea change, run that country B&B, and written that bestseller. In 2014, Jenn downsized her life and home is now a 3-tonne, 25-foot caravan named Myrtle the Turtle.

With her Seasons Collection of four novels already adored by readers, Australia’s nomadic novelist is finding inspiration for more heart-warming small