Start by marking “Star Wars: The Rise of Kylo Ren” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: The Rise of Kylo Ren

Star Wars: The Rise of Kylo Ren

(Star Wars: Marvel Miniseries)

With Ben Solo's fall...comes Kylo Ren's rise! As the son of Rebel Alliance heroes Leia Organa and Han Solo, as well as Jedi knight Luke Skywalker's own nephew and protégé, Ben Solo has the potential to be a great force for light in the galaxy. But the Skywalker legacy casts a long shadow, the currents of the dark side run deep...and Darth Vader's blood runs in Ben's veins. ...more
Expected publication: May 12th 2020 by Marvel (first published December 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars

Start your review of Star Wars: The Rise of Kylo Ren
Lucie
“I never... I didn’t want this.”

Ben, I am so, so sorry.

Reading about people assuming the worst from him from the very beginning truly breaks my heart, he was so alone. That aside, I really like the art so far and I’m so glad we’re learning more about the Knights of Ren, I really need more answers!! I can’t wait for the next issue.
Elaina
Andreas
Pretty interesting start. I'm looking forward to reading the next issue.

Patricia
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This might be my favourite comic of the new canon so far. It gives more explanation than The Rise of Skywalker does and shows that Ben Solo, was in fact, good at heart. Somehow he just stumbled from one mess into the next. Charles Soule and Will Sliney really exceeded my expectation with this one and although TROS ruined my hype a bit, I look forward to issue #2.
Darth
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish this was in the movie
Megara Ryan
On the one hand: YES! I've been waiting for this for forever I'm so excited!!!
But on the other hand: AHHH I'm not prepared!!!!
Freya
:(((((((( he,,,, he's baby, your honour
Brad
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We are finally getting some backstory on the fall of Ben Solo and as the title says the rise of Kylo Ren.

As Luke said in The Last Jedi, "This is not going to go the way you think" and that is so true here. Writer Charles Soule has done an excellent job of subverting what we the fans thought we knew happened to Luke, Ben, and the Jedi Academy.

This is the beginnings of a story of how the manipulation and corruption of the mind is the real downfall of Ben Solo.

Also we learn more about the Knights
♠ TABI ♠
Jan 08, 2020 marked it as to-read
you know what kinda sucks?? that you have to turn to lesser known sources for canonical facts about a very pivotal character instead of finding it out in the theater-release everyone-and-their-thrice-removed-cousin will see and know . . .

description
Hizatul Akmah
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i decided to read this to mend my heartbreak post-TROS and does this first issue really deliver!!! also, i think it's worth to mention how glad i am that the writer paid respect to the last jedi's ben solo. i can't wait for the next issues!!!
Jeff Sitko
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As expected, this book shines a light on the darker aspects of the new trilogy... on several levels. Learning more about the more cryptic elements (specifically regarding the mysterious antagonists) of Episodes VII-IX is incredibly welcome. The destruction of Luke’s temple, the Knights of Ren, and Snoke shown as we’ve never seen him before... what a blockbuster start to what I’m certain will be a fascinating yarn of those who touch the shadow in a galaxy far, far away.
Christina Vourcos
The creators say this issue will enhance the experience watching ‘The Rise of Skywalker.’ This explains so much about Ben Solo as he becomes Kylo Ren, and adds more to what we learned in ‘The Last Jedi.’ I look forward to seeing ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ and the next issues in this mini comic series, ‘The Rise of Kylo Ren.’
Anna Heidick
A good introduction to Kylo's backstory. Also, the art is really good.
maddy max.
It doesn’t matter how short it was because it was amazing and I can’t wait for the next issue.
C.E. Morlock
Wow (view spoiler)
Karoline Andrew
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting insight to Ben's history and I can't wait to see the film even more now!
Catalina
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
Oh no, this is bad, this is very very bad...
They just can't get my nose right!

Why is Adam Driver's face so hard to draw?

Otherwise, this was a great comic that filled in a raging huge hole in what happened next, and made me even more sympathetic (and empathetic) towards Ben Solo, if that's possible!

Now when Kylo asks, "Did he tell you what happened that night? The night I burned his temple, did he tell you?" I can answer "Yes."
cαsεy ツ
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Issue #1:
3.5/5 Stars: Ben Solo was always the most interesting character of the new trilogy for me, and I've always wanted more of his backstory. It would have been great to include this in the movies, but I guess I can settle for comic form
This was a pretty cool look into what happened with Ben that night at the Jedi Temple. I'm definitely looking forward for the next issues!
laura
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
it's the liminal time between Christmas and New Year which means I can absolutely just log comics towards my reading challenge, it's fine, nothing matters and nothing has consequences
Freya
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Review to come :)
Spencer Farr
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great start to a story about a good boy.
Christopher
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great back story fleshing out the Knight of Ren and other Characters! :D Get it when you can! :D
Dreximgirl
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this first issue in a new series and look forward to more. It definitely added something to my viewing of the film.
natalie | alchemyandink -
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really great start to the backstory of one of my favorite characters of all time. Excited to keep reading this series.
David Dalton
We finally get a look in what made Ben Solo turn into Kylo Ren. The beginning of the end...once again. From Anakin to Ben. Here we go again. Looking to see more of Luke as well.
Büşra Eriz
I feel very invested in this character. This is a good start, hopefully we'll get to see his real story.
Marina
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't believe they released this the same day as The Rise of Skywalker..
Jenny Raylen
*TROS SPOILERS*

I loved this. But I have a question...

Why? What was the point, if Ben just kriffing dies???

Why give him a backstory? Why go through the process of making him so sympathetic???

I don't get it.
Claire
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting! I've been waiting for this back story since the Last Jedi. Really pleased with how they're setting the character up. The illustration of his face snags Ben's feelings perfectly. The students - friends - feel very Star Wars-y, which seems to be like a hard element to include. Well done! Excited to read more.
Katrina
4.5
I need the next issue, like, NOW!

• Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Kylo Ren #1
  • Star Wars: Age of Resistance - General Hux #1
  • Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Supreme Leader Snoke #1
  • Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Rey #1
  • Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Allegiance
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • Force Collector (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #2)
  • Journey To Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker - Allegiance (2019) #1 (of 4)
  • Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Finn #1
  • Journey To Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker - Allegiance (2019) #2 (of 4)
  • Spark of the Resistance  (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #3)
  • Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Poe Dameron #1
  • Journey To Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker - Allegiance (2019) #3 (of 4)
  • Star Wars: Doctor Aphra (2016-) #40
  • Journey To Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker - Allegiance (2019) #4 (of 4)
  • Star Wars: Doctor Aphra (2016-) #39
  • Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Rose Tico #1
  • Star Wars (2015-) #75

Star Wars: Marvel Miniseries (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Star Wars: Princess Leia