Start by marking “Blood of Vengeance (Battleborn Mage, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Blood of Vengeance (Battleborn Mage, #0.5)

Blood of Vengeance

(Battleborn Mage #0.5)

In the gladiator’s arena of blood and death, magic cuts deeper than steel.

Stolen from the streets and condemned to battle as a gladiator, Killien survives by deceit and subterfuge. He must play the role of “Killer,” the prince’s savage, bloodthirsty champion.

Undefeated in battle, Killien wields a secret advantage: the magic enhancing his weapons and fueling his attacks. Th
ebook, BookFunnel
Published October 2019

To ask other readers questions about Blood of Vengeance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood of Vengeance

Start your review of Blood of Vengeance (Battleborn Mage, #0.5)
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: briaepicgiveaway
Live to fight another day.

5 burning stars

for a fabulous read!

NOTE: This novel can can be downloaded for FREE here
Bookfunnel download link provided by the author

He walked the crimson-stained sands around the circular ring and looked past the twenty-foot stone walls that surrounded him and raised his bloody hands to the crowd.
Meet Killer, the Beast of Vendragon.
A slave, whose blade is forced by the hand of his master, the Prince of Vendragon.

Collared, beaten, chained like a dog and fo
Mark
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I got this book for free from the author, on a giveaway organised by the FB group Fantasy focus.

I have really enjoyed reading this book, it’s a great read, a good solid 4 ⭐️.

It’s a sword and sorcery story with a great grimdark feel to it, the fight scenes are wonderfully written and flow together very nicely and took me along for the ride.

The author has done a really good job of writing the mental health aspects of long term fighting violence suffered by the main character as he is held against
Lisa Greiner Maughan
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story was great. It is fast paced and exciting. Angel is not afraid of writing about blood and gore. She brings you right to the gladiator arena and the tunnels below. We get to see how Killien became a gladiator. What he has to endure as the princes main fighter. For a female writer she’s a no holds bar type of girl. If your looking for romance you won’t find it here but you will find deceit, blood, swearing, sweat, tears, turmoil, gore, magic, death and a bit of comrade. ahh the life of a ...more
Ed
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Angel Haze delivers a great story full of action and intrigue. Grueling battles, intense emotions, scheming and dying. Not being over 900 years old, this is the closest I have ever come from a book to being a gladiator. Angel Haze can deliver emotion without trying as she effortlessly describes the setting around the character and their coping mechanism within.
All this being said, although the book is complete it feels like something is missing. THis truly seems to be a prequel where we have li
Catrin Russell
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Here is a story that holds not only action, magic, and gladiators, but also emotion, family, and friendship.

Killien - or Killer as he is known in the arena - is a slaved condemned to a lifetime of fighting as a gladiator. Suffering from crimes in his past, he has to endure a life in the darkest imaginable place; and this is not only in a literal sense, but also refers to his mental state and the steady decline he experiences due to the horrors of his everyday life.

A dark story of endurance, wi
Amber
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Gladiator Slave mage named Killien is forced to fight to the death in the pits and the arena everyday in order to get his freedom and save his family. Will he actually get it though or is it all just a lie? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good action-packed historical fantasy novel. If you like stories with action, magic and fantasy, then be sure to check this book out on Amazon and wherever ebooks are sold.
Elizabeth Dragina
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars ~

Can I just say that was amazing? It was amazing. I am amazed. Whoa.

The thought of a colosseum-like arena where men fight to the death, and the MC has to survive such a place has always been exciting! Then throw in some fantasy beasts, magic, and revenge. Epic.

However, I do have some problems with the overall message being handed to readers. "It's okay to be angry. It's okay to kill to get revenge. Its okay to be nasty just because you don't have the energy to be kind. It's okay to
Cody Arko-Omori
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! Such a thrill ride through a Romanesque world. With gladiators who have to fight to stay alive, with one forbidden to have any kind of friendship with the others. Held in an isolated area made to train from sun up to sundown, all for a crime that by rights should have seen him hanging. The Prince is an evil, twisted man with expectations that are beyond any normal man to achieve. But Killien is a mage who fights with powers he has to keep from being shown. The other gladiators know him as ...more
Gayreth Walden
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Wow" just "Wow"! My heart is still pounding from the intense fast paced action!... Killien, captured on the streets as a child, turned into a slave. Trained as a killer gladiator all these years. Killien will do anything to protect his family and find a way to gain his freedom. The cruel Prince who owns him will make sure that never happens because Killien earns the Prince way to much gold... I am amazed and extremely pleased with this well crafted story. A great plot with amazing characters. ( ...more
Sabetha | Aconite Cafe
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dark-fantasy
Angel is a fantastic dark fantasy writer. Once again I couldn't put one of her books down! She wove a bloody battle of redemption and still managed to pull at the heart strings. Killens depth as a gladiator and character development is wow. Loving the build up of mystery surrounding the shadowspawn and can't wait to discover more about them.

You can always tell authors that write in the genre they love to read, the words practically flow off the page. Don't let this novella fool you, the ride th
Veselina
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the book. I thought I'll finish it earlier but the busy school life kept me from my favourite hobby.
I think this is the first time I'm reading gladiator based fantasy. I lived the idea and how all turned up at the end. Now I'm looking forward for the next book.
Karla Kay
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I think of gladiators, I think of the old collosseums, Roman rule, and brutality.
I enjoy watching shows about the gladiators, so I was intrigued by this when the author offered it for free.

This does have slavery, brutality, blood, guts and gore. It also has unfair rule, imagine that!

But this also has mages, goblins, magic, and other fantasy creatures. Creating a unique world of YA fantasy entangling the gladiator arena, ruled by a glutinous prince and his power hungry wife.

The author us
Dasha
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of Blood of Vengeance because I signed up to be a part of Angel Haze's reader group. This book was a little different than the usually genre for me, but hey I'm up for whatever as long as it keeps my attention. As I got closer to the end of the book, I couldn't hardly put it down. The story is about Killien a fighter and mage, whose power has been repressed. He killed a noble, when he was younger, who tormented his family. He ran away so he did not face prosecution but was foun ...more
Lana
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An epic story full of great battle scenes fought by both sword and sorcery, about our courageous hero Killien, who is a slave of the evil Prince Burne who uses and abuses him even though he is the only person keeping him from drowning in debt. Burne has labelled him a killer and a monster, his savage champion who fights in both the gladiator arena and in the pits and Killien hates what he is turning him into. He uses subterfuge and deceit and his magic which cuts deeper than steel to remain top ...more
Rebecca
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it more than I expected to. Not only was the pacing excellent, it introduces us to a realistic gritty world.We see the world through the eyes ofiIntriguing POV characters, with equally intriguing relationships. This book avoids many overused tropes commonplace in "mainstream" Sy-Fy fantasy. My favorite aspect is probably the lack of any unnecessary romantic drama shoved in. There is some romantic moments, buts its tertiary to the characters' growth and the descriptive action and world ...more
Maria
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fast paced and action filled tale, that combines elements of fantasy and magic with roman style gladiators. I generally like the "hero" but find the "bad guy" and his wife to be a little over the top and exaggerated, although that makes it very easy to hate them. This is not a book for the faint of heart, there is a LOT of violence, bad language and bad behaviour. No romance to be found either. But the title and series name give a more than adequate indication of what to expect. I look forward ...more
Halle jones
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Kerry Dillenburg
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
For a YA I think this book is just fine. It's definitely has action though many of the fights with the animals seemed more of an outline- they needed to fleshed out (no pun intended). I think that is my main criticism for most of the story. Other than 2 characters the rest were treated superficially when filling in just a little more detail could have added immeasurably to the overall quality of the work. I still gave it a rather high mark overall.
Gary
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just finished reading this. It took me about a third of the way through it before I really was hooked but then it became one that I needed to finish asap. If you do not like bloody stories this may not be for you as it is the tale of gladiators and fights in the arenas. It is well written and at no time was my reading interrupted by some error that broke the flow of the story. It is a good read if you enjoy the genre.
Shellee
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 wonderful stars!!! I read this after reading the short story Beyond the Shadows and absolutely loved both! It’s a tale of gladiator style arena fighting, where the characters must fight to not only stay alive, but keep their families alive as well! Angel.... you remind me of a young female version of a certain GOT author! I cannot wait to see what you come up with in the future on this series, and I hope many more!
Adawia
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Once again Angel Haze delivers a fast-paced action-filled story which maintains a good balance between back-story and present action.
This book is not for the feint of heart - with plenty of gruesome battles (some with unfortunate but worthy beasts) and exciting twists, Blood of Vengeance will have you gasping, cringing and occasionally cheering throughout.
Sandy Fosdick
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Spartacus with dragons and magic!😁

This is a prequel to the Battleborn Mage saga and just on this book alone I want to read the rest of the series.
The characters are well thought out and fun to read about. One character I'd give anything to feed to the lions.

I can't wait for the rest of this series
Mary T
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dark-fantasy
This is a great book. I didn't want to put it down. Killen leads a terrible life under Prince Burne as a slave gladiator. Who is promised his freedom when enough coin is earned. Killen is brutally treated but does what the prince wants him to do to keep his family alive.
I received this book as an ARC.
David Malaski
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this novel from beginning to end and am looking forward to more tales set in this grim world. The story had a claustrophobic atmosphere that enhanced the mood of the book. If you are looking for sunshine and lollipops you have the wrong book. If your looking for a dark gritty fantasy I believe you are going to enjoy the adventure.
Doug Benzel
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Blood of Vengeance is a excellent read. I really enjoyed the characters and the setting of this book. Angel Haze has crafted a really interesting story that after the first few chapters I couldn't put it down. The Battlemage world is completely enthralling. I can't wait for more to stories to come out!
Tony Duxbury
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Savage and gripping. Killien is in thrall to a despicable Prince, fighting to keep his family alive. The arena in which he fights becomes more and more dangerous as the Prince's ambitions sends greater and greater foes against him. Finally, he rebels. A ripping sword & sorcery tale. Well worth a read. ...more
Michelle Vess
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ifa-rec
A fast paced gladiator story with lots of cool battles and bloody carnage. Well written and fun as well as heartbreaking. I loved the character of Killian, who is forced into gladatorial slavery by a megalomaniacal Prince. It’s about the things Killian will endure to protect his family and what happens when he finally hits the breaking point. Really enjoyed this one.
Joe Jackson
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A bloody and thrilling journey through blackmail, gladiatorial games, and vengeance. This virtually non-stop adrenaline rush introduces the characters of the main series and how they came to be who, what, and where they are. If you like action and bloody battles, you get no shortage of them in this one.
Ketil
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story was great. It is fast paced and exciting. it has plenty of blood and gore. I love ther is no romance in this book. Her you will only find, blood, swearing, magic, death and a bit of comrade, which i like.
Steve Brown
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was my first time reading Angel Haze but definitely won’t be my last! No messing about just straight into the action! Great story, great characters and great fight scenes! Bring on the rest of the series!

• Fae Hunter (Tangled Fae #1)
  • Ezaara (Riders of Fire, #1)
  • Dragon Hero (Riders of Fire, #2)
  • Bronze Dragon (Riders of Fire, #0.5)
  • Dragon Rift (Riders of Fire, #3)
  • Eye of Obscurance (Fate of Wizardoms, #1)
  • Dragon's Reach (The Keeper Origins #1)
  • Warriors, Wizards, & Rogues: Tales of Swords & Sorcery (Fate of Wizardoms, #0.5)
  • Fae Captive (Tangled Fae #2)
  • Og-Grim-Dog: The Three-Headed Ogre (Me Three, #1)
  • Righteous Dawn (The Prime #0.5)
  • Stormborn (Stormborn Saga #1)
  • The Deathless (Deathless, #1)
  • Fae Nightmare (Tangled Fae #3)
  • Unspeakable Things
  • Balance of Magic (Fate of Wizardoms, #2)
  • Temple of the Oracle (Fate of Wizardoms, #3)
  • Once Night Falls
Angel has been plotting murders since she was fourteen. It started with wild beasts, then serial killers, and later branched into other fantasy worlds and battles of the ancient past. She has a twisted fascination delving into the minds and motivations of infamous serial killers and conquerors—from Ted Bundy to Genghis Khan.

Although she went through school for policing, the only killers, dead bodi

News & Interviews