Start by marking “White City Blue” as Want to Read:
White City Blue

White City Blue

3.32  ·  Rating details ·  274 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Estate agent Frankie Blue is known on his home turf - White City, Shepherd's Bush - as "Frank theFib." He's a liar - but one who always tries to tell the truth. He has been friends with Diamond Tony, a hairdresser, Colin, a computer nerd, and Nodge,a cabbie, since schooldays. Now they are thirty, and trying to live the same life as they did then - drinking, girls, coke, fo ...more
Published May 4th 2000 by Penguin (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about White City Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White City Blue

Aug 01, 2013 rated it liked it
The ending totally rectified everything that was wrong with the book. And by ending I mean the last sentence.
Erin W
Jun 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
I read this for a class way back in my undergrad days. The class was based on the modern British novel, and it's part of a pretty popular subgenre called "lad lit" AKA "What hell hath Nick Hornby wrought?" It's like chick lit, except it's worse because it's full of misogyny. (Not that I would include Hornby in that category. He, unlike most of his contemporaries, can write a troubled man who is nonetheless decent.)

This particular novel is about the baffling need for men to hold onto friendships
Erin Knoll
Jul 20, 2010 rated it liked it
I loved the beginning of this book - quirky characters, fun voice, a little thread of nasty drama running under the surface. The descriptions of different types of friendship are astute and hysterical.

Sadly, about three quarters of the way through the story kind of unravels. I don't mind if everyone's a jerk, but it was just something about the mix of cynicism and realism that was more unpleasant to read than anything else. So in the end, it was unsatisfying, and I was more disappointed than any
Deborah J
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
A book for the lads. I read it because I'd heard a lot about Lott's latest book, and White City Blue revolved around 14 August, a date of significance for me. White City Blue had its moments - a couple of things made me laugh out loud - but it's meant for those 30 years younger than I, and for blokes. However, as a picture of London in the 90s and of the property boom it has a certain interest.
Printable Tire
Apr 14, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: thirty-somethings
I was really enjoying this book - I guess it would fall under whatever the male version of chicklit is - until the mammoth disappointment of the surprise secret of one of the pro's friends. This book better be autobiographical, because as a believable plot point it totally sucked. I'm not going to tell you what it is, but just think Chasing Amy.

I think I was reading this along the time my girlfriend dumped me after college. I know I bought it in 2004 when I was at Oxford.
Feb 20, 2012 rated it liked it
One of those books that was easy to read, but didn't really make you feel anything.
Just a very easy read I guess.
This is Tim Lott's first novel and I can't say I'd be actively seeking out his pthers in a hurry!

Although that said, it was nice to read something so very English!
Jul 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
This book reiterates the fact that the our first reaction towards committment is always that of aversion.Even the second,third and fourth. Having said that,while this book is an accurate portrayal of friendship in today's times,I would like to think its a sad exaggeration.
May 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
Following on from the dumbest book I’ve ever is the daftest book I’ve read. The difference? Nothing. Shallow characters, tedious plots and bad writing, they might as well be playing snap. End of story.
Vy Nguyen
Interesting read, so descriptive i could picture the friends in my mind. Dont know how precise it is to a guys state of mind but worth reading.
Oct 11, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: británicos
Una sorpresa inesperada. Me la leí en un viaje de tren de unas tres horas. Que engancha, vamos.

En castellano, se titula White City a secas.
Shirley Williams
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I love an honest take on life and people and Lott achieved this in this beautifully written book.
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Terrific book.
John Salmon
Jul 27, 2014 is currently reading it
Not liking this one too much chiefly because the protagonist is such a wanker and his narrative voice so odious. Most likely won't finish it.
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A really good book about what it is like to be a young man in modern Britain.
Adam Wolstenholme
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
What stands out for me is the details that bring the characters to life. Diamond Tony's flaring nostrils; Nodge's pensive smoking; Colin's idiotic and revealing sexual fantasising about the robots in Blade Runner. All these I can recall now without having read the book in years. Looking at some of the reviews, I think this book suffers from being seen as somehow representative of men, whereas it's better understood as just another story about a set of characters which, incidentally, might touch ...more
Edward Davies
A funny yet slightly disturbing tale of male friendship in the modern age, this twists itself into an almost sinister story that tries to explain how difficult it is for men to form meaningful friendships with other men that aren't entirely based on getting drunk and watching sport together.
Mar 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Gelezen in NL's. Titel de Leugenmakelaar. Deze was echter niet bekend in GoodReads. Matig boek.
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Winner, 1999 Whitbread First Novel Award
Ryan Williams
rated it did not like it
Nov 25, 2012
  • The Last King of Scotland
  • Are You Experienced?
  • Twelve Bar Blues
  • Mr. Phillips
Tim Lott is the author of seven novels and a memoir, The Scent of Dried Roses, which won the PEN/J.R. Ackerley Prize. White City Blue won the Whitbread First Novel Award and his young adult book Fearless was shortlisted for the Guardian Children's Book Award. Tim lives with his family in north-west London.
More about Tim Lott...