Start by marking “Only Gossip Prospers” as Want to Read:
Only Gossip Prospers

Only Gossip Prospers

In late 1875 Louisa May Alcott spent a winter in New York City. Her journals give a rough sketch of the people she met, the salons she attended and a few outings that she enjoyed. She intended to stay "until I am tired of it," but left abruptly in mid-January.

Filled with biographical references to Louisa's family, New Yorkers of the time and Alcott's literary works, Only
Published October 16th 2019 by Pink Umbrella Books LLC

To ask other readers questions about Only Gossip Prospers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Only Gossip Prospers

Start your review of Only Gossip Prospers
Tarissa
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent, authentic-feeling portrait of Louisa May Alcott's life, post-Little Women.

Louisa takes a motherly, Marmee type of role in this saga. Wherever she treads, even in the giant sea of people in New York, she leaves an indelible mark on her very own hodgepodge set of little women around her.

Very well researched, in architecture, fashion, news of the day, etc. The fictional story is wound tightly around accurate historical facts. The fine details add flair to the story and make it seem
Sydney
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
In Only Gossip Prospers, author Lorraine Tosiello brings to life the story of Louisa May Alcott and her time in New York. Tosiello beautifully combines fact and fiction to depict a realistic version of this brilliant woman and a part of her life. And although this story is a mash up of fact and fiction, it’s written in a way that readers can come to better know the beloved Louisa May Alcott at the height of her fame after writing Little Women. This story has the vibe of other literary works ...more
Debarati
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun, Interesting and Full of Surprises

It can easily be a semi-biographical novel of LMA and to the credits of the Author, at times, it feels as if LMA has written it herself, for the Author has got the voice of LMA perfectly; the sarcasm, the rage, the concern, the care; the motherly, sisterly, and friendly tone of LMA that could only be found in her letters and journals have been brought to the pages of a fiction novel beautifully.

The lurid subplots are filled with twists and turns which keeps
Betsy
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The book is a quick read — well researched so that there aren’t anachronisms pulling you out of the story (my biggest historical fiction pet peeve). I especially liked the medical history details sprinkled throughout. The characters are well drawn, and I enjoyed the plot twists.
Nicole
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
For as much as I love reading, especially reading classic literature and well written literature, you'd think I'd be a bigger fan of "Little Women." I have read it, but only once and I think I was probably too young because I found it boring. I did love the Winona Rider movie from the moment I saw it, and I have often thought I should read "Little Women" again. (I also love the movie of "The Inheritance," another Louisa May Alcott novel. But I've never read that book and feel I should.)

What
Tia
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
So first I would love to start off and say this book was given to me for an honest review on this tour and an honest review I will give. I don't just read every book that is thrown at me, as I would have too many books to read. So I only accept offers from authors who have books that genuinely interest me. I love anything Louisa May Alcott, so I knew I had to get my hands on this book as soon I was reached out too.

The author did a wonderful job pulling from the life of the famous author and
Connie Saunders
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Louisa May Alcott is the author of one of my favorite books, Little Women, and this book, Only Gossip Prospers, is a depiction of the time that Alcott spent in New York City after she had enjoyed great success with her masterpiece. Louisa is middle-aged when she decides to travel to New York City in 1875 and she encounters both the good and bad sides of this city. She is thrilled with the lights, the stores, and the plays but appalled to see orphaned children, apparently hungry and cold, thrust ...more
Janell Madison
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Only Gossip Prospers (A Novel of Louisa May Alcott in New York)” by Lorraine Tosiello

“Author Tosiello loved “Little Women” as a girl and has created a wonderful novel of Louisa May Alcott’s time in New York, as an adult and prominent author. Fans of “Little Women” will love this historical fiction novel, “Only Gossip Prospers.”- Green Gables Book Reviews

Louisa May Alcott is at the peak of her career and takes a trip for healing to New York. She looks forward to the theatre and all the wonderful
Elizabeth
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gifted the book to read for a book blog tour. The book kept my interest, and reminded me of a Dickens novel if it were written by a woman and took place in America. I also had to keep reminding myself that the main character was Louisa the real author of Little Women, not her character Jo.
Dianna Kemper
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable look into Louisa May Alcott’s life.
Kathy
Nov 27, 2019
Melissa
Dec 08, 2019
Lorraine Tosiello
Dec 12, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Marilyn Collins
Marie M Pierce
Jan 13, 2020
kathleen klepper
Jan 14, 2020

• The Christmas Kiss (Back to Bluestone River Book 310)
  • Don't Blame the Mud
  • Olive
  • A Rancher to Trust
  • Secrets of Willow Springs - Book 2: The Amish of Lawrence County
  • It Happened at Christmas
  • Omega Alpha
  • Hope is Born: A Mosaic Christmas Anthology
  • Guilty Until Proven Innocent: Who killed the Mother-in-law?
  • Narrative Apologetics: Sharing the Relevance, Joy, and Wonder of the Christian Faith
  • The History of Joseph Smith by His Mother
  • Quest of Fire: The Gathering Dark
  • Her Secret Alaskan Family
  • Beginner's Pluck: Build Your Life of Purpose and Impact Now
  • Why Do We Say Good Night?
  • God Made Me Unique: Helping Children See Value in Every Person
  • Ruth: Redemption for the Broken, Study Guide with Leader's Notes (The Gospel-Centered Life in the Bible Series)