Jump to ratings and reviews

Between Heather and Grass: Poems and Photographs Filled with Love, Hope and Whippets

Welcome to Between Heather and Grass - Poems Filled with Love, Hope and Whippets, our beautiful, soulful sequel to Sharing Our Horizon and our second book for whippet lovers, dog lovers and lovers of nature. The book features poetry, breathtaking photographs of the Scottish Highlands, and our two adopted whippets Eivor and Pearl. The majority of the poems are haiku, haibun and tanka, written in rhythm with the seasons. The poems and photographs illuminate each other and are both calming and inspiring, inviting you to dip into this collection many times over.

Thirty per cent of net profits from the sale of this book will be shared with Children with Cancer UK, in memory of our nephew Jamie Baker. Another thirty per cent of net profits will be shared with animal rehoming charities.

94 pages, ebook

Published October 17, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Xenia Tran

2 books3 followers
Xenia Tran is an artist, linguist and poet who lives in the Scottish Highlands with her husband and two adopted whippets. She writes in Dutch and English and her poetry has appeared on television, in videos, a haiku calendar, online journals, anthologies and magazines. She blogs at https://whippetwisdom.com and https://tranature.com and publishes her collections in aid of good causes.

'Between Heather and Grass - Poems and Photographs Filled with Love, Hope and Whippets' is available in paperback, ebook and Kindle editions. This collection has been especially created to help raise funds for Children with Cancer UK, in memory of her nephew Jamie Baker and in support of animal rehoming charities.

'Sharing Our Horizon - A Journey Through the Scottish Highlands with Two Adopted Whippets' is her collection of poems and photographs published in September 2018, in aid of animal rehoming charities.

She loves reading poetry, nature writing and non-fiction in Dutch and English in her spare time. Her list of books read on Goodreads focuses on texts in English.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (100%)
4 stars
3 stars
2 stars
1 star
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 reviews
Profile Image for Jessica Lucci.
Author 28 books84 followers
November 17, 2019
"Between Heather and Grass" by Xenia Tran is a poetry book focused on Asian styles. It is accompanied by photographs of whippets in natural settings. The combination of beautifully entwining words, charming animals, and alluring countrysides make this poetry collection uniquely special.

Th author has supplied a bibliography for readers interested in learning more about poetry. She has also included her own descriptions of the forms of poetry she chose for this book.

I highly recommend this book to readers of all ages.

One more note regarding this book: proceeds from the sales go to a worthy cause.
"Thirty per cent of net profits from the sale of this book will be shared with Children with Cancer UK, in memory of our nephew Jamie Baker. A further thirty per cent of net profits will be shared with animal rehoming charities at the end of each financial year. The charities we donate to will be announced on our blog at whippetwisdom.com and via our Twitter feed @WhippetHaiku"
Profile Image for Cathy Ryan.
1,139 reviews63 followers
November 26, 2019
Between Heather and Grass is a second lovely book from Xenia Tran, combining verse and beautifully scenic photography, not forgetting two gorgeous whippets. The complementary poetry and photos capture the majesty of the Highlands, showcasing the mountains, glens, lochs, forests and the beautiful beaches that Eivor and Pearl enjoy exploring. Visually satisfying and inspiring with spiritual connotations, this is a book to pick up again and again.

If you're a poetry, nature and/or animal lover this book is a must...one to appreciate by dipping into or enjoying in one sitting, with verses such as this...

'the flow
of black rock and turquoise waves
ocean's beauty
between us on the shore
the memories keep growing.'

Between Heather and Grass supports Children With Cancer UK, in memory of a young family member as well as rehoming centres.
Profile Image for Terri Schrandt.
Author 1 book27 followers
November 20, 2019
The joyful lifestyles of Eivor and Pearl are lovingly depicted through thoughtful poetry and beautiful images. My favorite is "Gratitude," accompanied by the dancing whippets. A relaxing journey through the seasons in the Scottish highlands.
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.