Start by marking “Amazing Gracie” as Want to Read:
Amazing Gracie

Amazing Gracie

Laid off from her job and utterly disenchanted with men, Gracie MacDougal pours all her attention into turning an old Victorian house into a bed and breakfast, with the help of its owner, an indolent but charming Southern lawyer. Original.
Published June 1st 1998 by Zebra

To ask other readers questions about Amazing Gracie, please sign up.
Deborah Thomas yes very easy to follow, flows easily quite entertaining and you feel the characters are friends of yours

Debra
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
2.75 rounded up to a 3 star rating

Gracie decides to quit her job at a hotel in France over floral arrangements. The New CEO of the hotel wants to pinch pennies and decides to pinch the cost of floral arrangements and Gracie has an issue with that. She also has an issue with the frequent passes he makes at her but it seems to be more about the flowers.

So in a huff she goes off to Seagull Point, Virginia. While there she sees a property that she deems would make a lovely bed and breakfast. Of co
Tonya
Jun 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-reads
I agree this is one of Woods best. Gracie is a character I would love to be, and I fell right in love with this book. Feeling as if she isn't appreciated by her new boss,Max, she quits her job working for the international hotel chain. The only problem is where will she go?She has no family, and has never really called anywhere home. She vacationed once when she was young to Seagull Point, Virginia. She has fond memories of it there,so that is where she ends up.

What will she do now that she is
Jenn O'Brien
I really had high hopes for this, but it was a big dud. The main character was not someone you liked or rooted for. She was supposed come off as this strong independent female, but I didn't see it.

The thing that drove me most nuts was the lead up to the love scene. Passion mounting, you are ready to go ... and she leaves to go take a shower? Come on!
Veronica
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book started off promising but ended up reading more like a chick-lit romance than a regular romance (I don't particularly care for the chick-lit style of writing). Also, I love a good happy ending but this was too happy. Gracie seemed to be the "saving-grace" of multiple of Kevin's relatives and reminded me of a Hallmark movie.
Tracy Smith
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Old-fashioned romance at it's finest. That is what I thought of this sweet tale by Sherryl Woods. From a luxurious hotel chain in Europe to a modest Victorian bed and breakfast in Virginia, follow Gracie Macdougal as she finds her passion in her business and in her lovelife. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys lots of characters who all end up with happy endings!! Happy Reading everyone!!
Ann
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when it was first published in 1989. I loved it then and it's just as good as I remember. Gracie quits her job in hotel management and comes to small town Virginia. She sees an old Victorian house and wants to open a B&B. Kevin and his aunt own the old house, a final reminder of his mother's family and doesn't want to sell. As Gracie and Kevin get to know each other and Gracie falls under the spell of the small town and Kevin's family they reach a compromise. A sweet and lov ...more
DuniaFriskaIndah
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Kesan yang ingin aku sampaikan adalah aku suka sekali dengan buku ini. >:D< Aku suka dengan gaya Sherryl membawa semua tokoh-tokohnya menjadi suatu drama percintaan yang indah dan tidak terkesan murahan. :x Ide cerita sangat simple sekali, seoarang wanita yang ingin membangun penginapan di daerah selatan Amerika Serikat namun tersandung dengan sang pemilik yang ternyata di dalam novel ini menjadi sepasang kekasih yang saling melengkapi. :x :x Singkat kata ceritanya tentang drama cinta ala ...more
nurmawati

sebenernya cerita nya bagus, tapi terjemahannya agak datar jadi kurang berasa feel nya.....
gw kasih 3.5 bintang aja deh ya....

ceritanya ttg gracie yang lelah hidup berpindah2 dari 1 negara ke negara lain dan dari 1 kota ke kota lain karena dia bekerja di jaringan hotel internasional yang sgt sibuk, belum lagi dengan bos yang terlalu menuntut dan bergantung semua pekerjaan sampe yg terkecil2 nya ke gracie....
gracie berniat pergi dan luburan ke kota kecil yang dulu pernah di datangi nya...tapi beg
Harry Lane
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it
A nice break from the daily quota of crime, war, and petty politics. It's a romantic comedy with believable characters one can actually relate to, and a totally predictable plot. The predicitability doesn't matter, though, because of the amusing antics and dialog along the way. Strikes me as a potential basis for a really good movie.
Yessyamarilis
Cerita ini mengingatkanku dengan virgin river. Bercerita tentang Gracie McDougal seorang manajer jaringan hotel internasional di Cannes. Hidupnya hanya untuk pekerjaan, selalu sibuk dan selama ini dia berpindah tempat tinggal dari satu negara ke negara lainnya. Namun yang dirindukannya adalah "rumah" meski dia sendiri belum bisa menggambarkan seperti apa rumah yang dia harapkan. Pada satu titik ketika dia jenuh dengan pekerjaanyaa, memutuskan untuk berhenti dan menuju Seagull Point Virginia. Tan ...more
Mirella Grace
Jun 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: violet-books
Awalnya beli buku ini karena bingung mo milih buku violet books yang mana. Eeeeh, ngeliat judul Amazing Gracie langsung kubeli... Pikirku: nama tokoh ceweknya mirip ama namaku. Inget banget deh, ini novel VB kedua yang kubeli, tapi jadi novel VB ke 7 yang kubaca.

Ternyata, gak sia sia beli dan baca ni buku. Ceritanya simpel, tapi dalam dan berkesan. Well, kalo boleh bilang, ini buku kedua berturut-turut yang mengisahkan perpindahan tokohnya dari Eropa ke bagian Timur Amerika.

Just to make it simp
Erin
Aug 20, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 1/2 stars, actually.

I don't know that I've ever read any of Sherryl Woods' books before, but I got this one for free at PLA, so I threw it in my carry-on to read on vacation this summer. It was OK. Characters weren't terribly believable or well-developed, but I liked Aunt Delia.

It's a plot-driven bit of fluff--good for a beach read. The premise is that Gracie quits her job as a fancy-schmancy hotel manager when the new CEO starts penny-pinching & sacrificing quality for the bottom line. Sh
Michelle
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Quick read that leaves you feeling good. Gracie leaves a high pressure job as a hotel manager in France because the new general manager is more interested in the bottom line than the guests experience. After Gracie quits she returns to the only place she remembers as peaceful - Seagull Point, Virginia. After a few weeks she starts to wonder what next. She spots an old worn down Victoria that would make a perfect Bed & Breakfast. But this was only supposed to be a temporary stop on her journe ...more
Marcia  Haskell
I loved this story. Each of the characters were unique, enjoyable and real. The book made me laugh, and feel for the people trying so hard to be happy and loved. Smart, sharp, lively women who are insightful and caring are contrasted with men who have let their history and pain prevent them for getting what they want. There are a lot of role reversals in this book, but, with her usual storytelling skill and understanding of human nature, Sherryl Woods, has created another gem of southern life wh ...more
Barbi
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very enjoyable book about a woman trying to find some roots and a purpose for her life.
Gracie leaves a job working for a hotel chain and heads to Seagull Point, VA. She is looking for a little relaxation and someplace to set down roots. She comes across an old Victorian that would be "perfect" for a bed-and-breakfast. Several things stand in her way, mainly Kevin Daniels.
She meets a slew of interesting characters mostly related to Kevin that make the story even more interesting.
Susan

While I liked the plot, would any truly self-possessed modern woman take kindly to a man who hardly knows her but tells her he plans to sleep with her?
Peggy
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
It wasn't a bad book, but this type of book doesn't seem to be my cup of tea anymore.
Chasidy Kaye Jones
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Free copy received by netgalley.com in exchange for review.
Gracie has a busy life managing a hotel in France. The hotel business has always been her life, so much so that she has not had a vacation since she was a child. Frustrated with her new boss and his money money attitude, she quits, even though she has no home to go back to. She picks the one place she went on vacation as a child.
Once in Virginia, she falls in love with an old falling down mansion and sets out to own it and turn it into
Sherrlyn
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
All Gracie MacDougal knows is work, having moved from one hotel to another in the international Worldwide Hotel chain, troubleshooting and ensuring that the exclusive luxury inns lived up to their reputations. At the age of 29, she comes to the stunning realization that all she has is her career. After a run-in with the fifth CEO in as many years, whose vision is less about luxury and exclusivity and more about dollars and cents, she impulsively quits only to realize she has nowhere to go home t ...more
Nicki
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

What a spunky character and surrounded by a whole group of interesting folks. Going from hotel management to wanting a b&b was a big change. I thought the whole negotiating as a dance. And what a fun one. All the side stories added so much. I thought the book was good.
Charlene Rowe
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patient readers apply here

I guess when you meet the Hero in a hammock, you should be able to figure the pace of the story. Slow but nice. Worth the patience to get to the end? You decide.
Julie Hoffpauir
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book. First time reading this author, the characters were easy to fall in love with even Max. The plot was an easy read and the different stories going on were wonderful. Will definitely read some more by this author.
kathy post
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful reading!

What does it take for a detail-orientated career woman, who just quit her job, to find her center of balance again? Gracie takes a big leap of faith in the well written story.
Shelley
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Sherryl Woods

What can I say but I always love these books. Sometimes you are just in the mood for a happy, feel good book with characters you are drawn to and wish you knew in real life. This book did not disappoint.
Cheryl
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comfort

A good book about finding family and love. Gracie leaves her high powered job to find a place to call home and visits the small town in Virginia where she had been taken on a family vacation as a child. Warm characters and story.
Miranda Gonzales
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting, the story took me in and I just couldn't put the book down.
Mary Baker
I have been a fan of Sherryl Woods' books for many years, but I didn't feel that this one had any spark to it.
Alice Vaughn
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: done
Good book!

I enjoyed this book very much. It was well written and moved on quickly. I actually read it in one day...
Sarah TheAromaofBooks
Readable but ultimately forgettable.
Monique E. Lacroix
Great story

A nice sweet romance. An older book that I missed earlier. A lot of sweet kisses and desires but no descriptive sex scenes. Loved it!
  • Here Comes Trouble
  • Heat Wave: Rex on the Beach/Getting Into Trouble/Shaken and Stirred
  • Our Little Secret
  • Ex, Why, and Me
  • Viva Las Bad Boys
  • Orchard Valley Grooms: Valerie\Stephanie
  • A NASCAR Holiday 2: Miracle Season/Season of Dreams/Taking Control/The Natural
  • The Summer Hideaway (Lakeshore Chronicles, #7)
  • Teaming Up (Harlequin NASCAR, #26)
  • Turn My World Upside Down: Jo's Story
  • Blazing Bedtime Stories (Once Upon A Bite / My, What A Big...You Have! / Sexily Ever After)
  • Hearts Under Caution
  • Her Cinderella Complex
  • British Bad Boys
  • Feisty Firefighters Bundle: Aftershock / The Firefighter's Baby / Facing the Fire
  • Desert Rogues Part 2
  • The First Love Cookie Club (Twilight, Texas, #3)
  • Old Enough to Know Better
With two other careers to her credit before becoming a novelist and four states in which she's lived for extended periods of time, Sherryl Woods has collected friends and memories, along with way too much unnecessary junk.

"The friends are the only things I've brought with me through the years that really matter," she says. "I could probably live without one more chintz teacup, another tin-litho sa