Start by marking “Amazing Gracie” as Want to Read:
Amazing Gracie

Amazing Gracie

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  1,220 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
Laid off from her job and utterly disenchanted with men, Gracie MacDougal pours all her attention into turning an old Victorian house into a bed and breakfast, with the help of its owner, an indolent but charming Southern lawyer. Original.
Published June 1st 1998 by Zebra

Debra
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
2.75 rounded up to a 3 star rating

Gracie decides to quit her job at a hotel in France over floral arrangements. The New CEO of the hotel wants to pinch pennies and decides to pinch the cost of floral arrangements and Gracie has an issue with that. She also has an issue with the frequent passes he makes at her but it seems to be more about the flowers.

So in a huff she goes off to Seagull Point, Virginia. While there she sees a property that she deems would make a lovely bed and breakfast. Of co
Tonya
Jun 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-reads
I agree this is one of Woods best. Gracie is a character I would love to be, and I fell right in love with this book. Feeling as if she isn't appreciated by her new boss,Max, she quits her job working for the international hotel chain. The only problem is where will she go?She has no family, and has never really called anywhere home. She vacationed once when she was young to Seagull Point, Virginia. She has fond memories of it there,so that is where she ends up.

What will she do now that she is
Jenn O'Brien
I really had high hopes for this, but it was a big dud. The main character was not someone you liked or rooted for. She was supposed come off as this strong independent female, but I didn't see it.

The thing that drove me most nuts was the lead up to the love scene. Passion mounting, you are ready to go ... and she leaves to go take a shower? Come on!
Veronica
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book started off promising but ended up reading more like a chick-lit romance than a regular romance (I don't particularly care for the chick-lit style of writing). Also, I love a good happy ending but this was too happy. Gracie seemed to be the "saving-grace" of multiple of Kevin's relatives and reminded me of a Hallmark movie.
DuniaFriskaIndah
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Kesan yang ingin aku sampaikan adalah aku suka sekali dengan buku ini. >:D< Aku suka dengan gaya Sherryl membawa semua tokoh-tokohnya menjadi suatu drama percintaan yang indah dan tidak terkesan murahan. :x Ide cerita sangat simple sekali, seoarang wanita yang ingin membangun penginapan di daerah selatan Amerika Serikat namun tersandung dengan sang pemilik yang ternyata di dalam novel ini menjadi sepasang kekasih yang saling melengkapi. :x :x Singkat kata ceritanya tentang drama cinta ala ...more
nurmawati

sebenernya cerita nya bagus, tapi terjemahannya agak datar jadi kurang berasa feel nya.....
gw kasih 3.5 bintang aja deh ya....

ceritanya ttg gracie yang lelah hidup berpindah2 dari 1 negara ke negara lain dan dari 1 kota ke kota lain karena dia bekerja di jaringan hotel internasional yang sgt sibuk, belum lagi dengan bos yang terlalu menuntut dan bergantung semua pekerjaan sampe yg terkecil2 nya ke gracie....
gracie berniat pergi dan luburan ke kota kecil yang dulu pernah di datangi nya...tapi beg
Harry Lane
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it
A nice break from the daily quota of crime, war, and petty politics. It's a romantic comedy with believable characters one can actually relate to, and a totally predictable plot. The predicitability doesn't matter, though, because of the amusing antics and dialog along the way. Strikes me as a potential basis for a really good movie.
Yessyamarilis
Cerita ini mengingatkanku dengan virgin river. Bercerita tentang Gracie McDougal seorang manajer jaringan hotel internasional di Cannes. Hidupnya hanya untuk pekerjaan, selalu sibuk dan selama ini dia berpindah tempat tinggal dari satu negara ke negara lainnya. Namun yang dirindukannya adalah "rumah" meski dia sendiri belum bisa menggambarkan seperti apa rumah yang dia harapkan. Pada satu titik ketika dia jenuh dengan pekerjaanyaa, memutuskan untuk berhenti dan menuju Seagull Point Virginia. Tan ...more
Mirella Grace
Jun 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: violet-books
Awalnya beli buku ini karena bingung mo milih buku violet books yang mana. Eeeeh, ngeliat judul Amazing Gracie langsung kubeli... Pikirku: nama tokoh ceweknya mirip ama namaku. Inget banget deh, ini novel VB kedua yang kubeli, tapi jadi novel VB ke 7 yang kubaca.

Ternyata, gak sia sia beli dan baca ni buku. Ceritanya simpel, tapi dalam dan berkesan. Well, kalo boleh bilang, ini buku kedua berturut-turut yang mengisahkan perpindahan tokohnya dari Eropa ke bagian Timur Amerika.

Just to make it simp
Erin
Aug 20, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 1/2 stars, actually.

I don't know that I've ever read any of Sherryl Woods' books before, but I got this one for free at PLA, so I threw it in my carry-on to read on vacation this summer. It was OK. Characters weren't terribly believable or well-developed, but I liked Aunt Delia.

It's a plot-driven bit of fluff--good for a beach read. The premise is that Gracie quits her job as a fancy-schmancy hotel manager when the new CEO starts penny-pinching & sacrificing quality for the bottom line. Sh
Michelle
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Quick read that leaves you feeling good. Gracie leaves a high pressure job as a hotel manager in France because the new general manager is more interested in the bottom line than the guests experience. After Gracie quits she returns to the only place she remembers as peaceful - Seagull Point, Virginia. After a few weeks she starts to wonder what next. She spots an old worn down Victoria that would make a perfect Bed & Breakfast. But this was only supposed to be a temporary stop on her journe ...more
Barbi
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very enjoyable book about a woman trying to find some roots and a purpose for her life.
Gracie leaves a job working for a hotel chain and heads to Seagull Point, VA. She is looking for a little relaxation and someplace to set down roots. She comes across an old Victorian that would be "perfect" for a bed-and-breakfast. Several things stand in her way, mainly Kevin Daniels.
She meets a slew of interesting characters mostly related to Kevin that make the story even more interesting.
Susan

While I liked the plot, would any truly self-possessed modern woman take kindly to a man who hardly knows her but tells her he plans to sleep with her?
Peggy
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
It wasn't a bad book, but this type of book doesn't seem to be my cup of tea anymore.
Chasidy Kaye Jones
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Free copy received by netgalley.com in exchange for review.
Gracie has a busy life managing a hotel in France. The hotel business has always been her life, so much so that she has not had a vacation since she was a child. Frustrated with her new boss and his money money attitude, she quits, even though she has no home to go back to. She picks the one place she went on vacation as a child.
Once in Virginia, she falls in love with an old falling down mansion and sets out to own it and turn it into
Debbie
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. Cute story line. The characters were mostly believable. I would recommend it.
Jackie Lane
Nov 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mayda
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
As a summer beach read, this book might capture your interest as you laze under the sun. But once you start looking deeper, you realize there really isn’t much here. The characters are trite and the plot as well as the ending are predictable from almost the very beginning. I listened to this on audio as I did housework, and this book was perfect for that: it did not require much attention to keep up with the storyline. Perhaps if the characters were better developed, I might have cared more abou ...more
F
Mar 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, easy read, quite a few chuckles in the characters' dialogue, yet the book's plot is very predictable. I guess I am too much of a detail reader but there is a glaring discrepancy in the length of time that Aunt Delia had resided with Kevin Patrick Daniels, one of the main characters. In Chapter 3, Kevin tells the reader that his 87-year-old Aunt Delia moved in with him eighteen months ago. In Chapter 16 Aunt Delia is talking with Gracie, the other main character. Aunt Delia tells Gr ...more
Chelsea
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick light-hearted read. I really enjoyed Kevin, he was an amusing main character. Although sometimes his laid back attitude irritated me a lot. I feel like at times there was something missing, like we would just barely touch on a character or a characters life then it would change directions and go elsewhere. I don't know that I have read any other sherryl woods books, so if this is normal for the author, it is just a bit different. I guess I thought it would go just a bit deeper, ...more
Carrie
Jan 13, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Sherryl Woods book I've read. I read about 1/2 way through and lost interest, but at that point figured I'd better finish it. It didn't get any better. I read another review on this and someone mentioned it was like the author wrote the first 2/3 of the book then left it. It's like the author came back to finish it. For ex. the 10 year old girl is in the beginning of the book, then towards the end, she has the maturity of a teenager.

The plot was lacking. Things happened at the
Wenny Widjaja
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Selalu jatuh cinta dengan buku yang temanya disatu kota kecil...
Dimana semua orang saling mengenal satu sama lain. Kumpul2 tiap pagi atau sore dan saling membantu jika salah satu terkena masalah.
Dan itu yang terjadi di dalam buku ini.., gracie yang kabur dari pekerjaannya akhirnya menemukan rumah untuknya.

Berkebun, bikin kue, bikin penginapan kecil ahhh rasanya indah sekali ya hidup dinovel ini....
Tokoh kevin yang sangat mempesona menambah nilai plus buku ini....
Andaikata bisa hidup seperti itu.
Darcy
I liked this one, but it wasn't anything special. I thought there was too much packed into the book, the main romance, plus 2 others. I got tired of what Kevin was hiding with the house, especially when there really didn't seem to be a reason. Had I been Gracie I would have slapped him upside the head with frustration. The secret was slightly interesting. I thought it was weird how Kevin had the reigns of all the family money, that everyone had to come groveling to him. Although after meeting so ...more
Jeni
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was rather a screwy, but enjoyable & funny romance novel. Gracie abruptly quits her job as manager of a luxury French hotel when her boss' excessive cost-cutting gestures start compromising the hotel's quality. Without family or any real roots, she goes to a place in rural Virginia where she once had a very happy family vacation so she can re-evaluate her life & choose her next job. She is attracted to an old Victorian house that would make a good Bed & Breakfast & gets enme ...more
Caro
Aug 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
This was a really good book and kept me interested. I liked the plot and the colorful characters. I would like to get to know the rest of them too. I believe this was my first audio book (since I don't have as much time to read as I used to) and I was both impressed and a little let down. It's kinda like movies as I think I would have enjoyed this more if I had read the book. Mostly due to the narration. Girls just can't sound like a guy and that part throws me a little when they're 'talking'. O ...more
Jeanne
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Gracie MacDougal is a workaholic with a high profile hotel management position in Cannes, France. A disagreement with her boss and she quits her job and flees to Seagull Point, Virginia. This is the one place she remembers from her childhood that felt like it might be home. She sees this wonderful old Victorian house and wants to turn it into a bed and breakfast. The owner Keven Daniels, however, isn't interested in sell it. The excitement starts there and continues until we get the happy ever a ...more
Jeri
Oct 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Gracie MacDougal leaves her high-powered hotel management job in France behind when she comes to a small town in Virginia looking for a change in her life. What she finds is a run-down Victorian house that would make the perfect bed-and-breakfast and an obstinate Kevin Patrick Daniels standing in her way. Laid back Kevin is Gracie's opposite, and while she is determined to change his mind about the house, he is determined to teach her to forget about work for a while ...

This was light and reason
Rhonda Rae Baker
Sep 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read for a relaxing adventure with characters anyone would absolutelly love. Realistic flow with a bit of romance and family dynamics to make your heart feel warm.

I'm excited about finding more novels of Sherryl Woods' and devour them just as quickly. Her prose are spicy and quick...totally enjoyable!
Sweety
Jun 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I like it,
the story make me want to read until the end

duh gw suka banget, cwenya workholic, sedangkan cowonya santai banget kelihatannya, suka bgt ama tante delianya

ini tipe cerita yang sweet, jarang kan gw suka ama novel sweet kalo bukan yang Young Adult, makanya gw kasih 4 krn bisa membuat gw bertahan baca dari awal ampe akhir tanpa adanya adegan yang bikin gw kipas2
Rebecca Jackson
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Books by Sherryl Woods always "hit the spot". She seems to be able each time to deliver just what the reader needs, and makes them want the story to go on and on. And she has such a great sense of humor - I found myself laughing out loud with the characters all the way through this book. It is a stand alone, and it was written some time ago, but I want to know what the characters do next.
  • Here Comes Trouble
  • Orchard Valley Grooms: Valerie\Stephanie
  • Ex, Why, and Me
  • Heat Wave: Rex on the Beach/Getting Into Trouble/Shaken and Stirred
  • Our Little Secret
  • The Summer Hideaway (Lakeshore Chronicles, #7)
  • Christmas Weddings: His Christmas Eve Proposal / Snowbound Bride / Their Christmas Vows
  • Teaming Up (Harlequin NASCAR, #26)
  • Viva Las Bad Boys!
  • Turn My World Upside Down: Jo's Story
  • Her Cinderella Complex
  • Blazing Bedtime Stories (Once Upon A Bite / My, What A Big...You Have! / Sexily Ever After) (Harlequin Blaze #447)
  • Once Upon a Christmas: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year/'Twas the Week Before Christmas
  • The First Love Cookie Club (Twilight, Texas, #3)
  • A NASCAR Holiday 2: Miracle Season/Season of Dreams/Taking Control/The Natural
  • Desert Rogues Part 1
  • Footloose (Bellagio, #3)
  • Old Enough to Know Better
With two other careers to her credit before becoming a novelist and four states in which she's lived for extended periods of time, Sherryl Woods has collected friends and memories, along with way too much unnecessary junk.

"The friends are the only things I've brought with me through the years that really matter," she says. "I could probably live without one more chintz teacup, another tin-litho sa
More about Sherryl Woods...