Start by marking “Parasite” as Want to Read:
Parasite

Parasite

(Cymic Parasite Breach #1-5)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  258 ratings  ·  42 reviews
They're closer than you think...

A guard discovers an unusual lifeform on her remote moon outpost. She disregards protocol to investigate it, with catastrophic consequences.

The parasitic alien wears its victims' skins and adopts their personalities. It's a perfect disguise, and allows the creature to spread without being detected. By the time humanity realises it's facing
Expected publication: August 4th 2020 by Poisoned Pen Press

To ask other readers questions about Parasite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parasite

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Parasite
Ellen Gail
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Delightfully creepy and clever, Parasite will get under your skin.

"This is the end, isn’t it? How can you fight a monster when you can’t tell them apart from your friends?”

My Darcy Coates journey has had its ups and downs - Craven Manor and The Carrow Haunt underwhelmed, but Hunted was a smashing success. And it's a success that's repeated here. I think I like Coates best when she's branching out from haunted house stories. That's when her talent really shines.

Parasite is a weird mashup of
Daniel
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my Goodreads friends had put this one in their update stream. It is the second book I borrowed from the Kindle Lending Library. Simply put, this book was frikkin' awesome!
This book scared me and had a real hardcore sci-fi/horror mix that was truly original. It begins with spacers living on an asteroid based station finding a large biomass attached to part of their home. When they go out to remove it, which they usually do with all the regular space creatures they know of, things go awry.
Becky Stephens
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, sci-fi
I originally read Parasite in installments when it was released as a five-installment series called Cymic Parasite Breach.

Parasite is divided into five stories that take place at outposts on moons or semi-planets, and each one is isolated from the other outposts throughout the system, either by distance or by both distance and lack of communication. While each section (station) is its own complete story with its own set of fully developed characters, they all encounter the same horrible
Katya
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I thought would be a mediocre Kindle Unlimited read turned into something much better. The story is a combo of unstoppable zombie virus + alien life forms and it changed locales (this outpost, that outpost, a planet, the city, etc) with perfect timing. Each locale was a short story in its own right.

Also, I really, really, really liked the heroines. Horror heroines who survive are usually either dumb or lucky, but the women in this book were well-trained and cunning. I was cheering them on
Jen
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
A great sci-fi horror read! It read more like joined short stories, which had a downside of my not being as invested with the last group of characters (Station 335) as the rest. But it was still a ton of fun and, despite guessing on several twists, I was still taken by surprise by some.
Dixie
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so disappointed when I could not buy the other books of this "series" and was really excited when I found out they were all in one book. What a really, really good read. I love horror. I love deep sea thrillers and among other things deep space thrillers. This was a wonderfully awesome book and I loved all the stories in it. All the characters were wonderful, and the book will be on my keep forever shelf.

Sandra Knapp
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting - Exhilerating

Wow! Right from page one, this one literally grabs at you, and pulls you through to the end, with barely a moment, every now and then, to catch your breath! And I LOVED IT!!!

Science Fiction at it's best, IMHO.
Kelsea
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the reading goals that I set for myself in 2019 was to:
A.) Try to finish the various series I've started and abandoned. OR
B.) Try to read all the books by the various authors I've read and enjoyed. (I know.... impossible haha)

In order to do this I've been spending a lot of time perusing my previously read books and seeing what else the authors have published/do I own any of their other books? One author I noticed I read a couple books by & owned a bunch more was Darcy Coates. SO I've
Isabella Zink
2.75-3 stars for this one. I think I prefer the ghost stories. This book had a lot of potential, and I really liked the design of Cymics. My problem is the story structure. It's split into...4, I think? sub-stories, which were all mostly the same thing: introduced to a station and the characters living there, receive a help signal, uh oh, there's a problem, oh no we're under attack, dramatic escape, thoughts about the rest of the stations, switches to next perspective and repeat. Because of ...more
Elsa Carrion
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Sci-Fi stories and with it being October I wanted to read something scary. This took care of both. The story is about 416 pgs but to tell you the truth, it didn't seem that long. I can say this, I hated to put this down and couldn't wait to pick it back up (had to sleep and work, so annoying!)hehe. When I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it. When I was reading it I was at the edge of my seat sort of thing, the suspense was crrrraaaazzzy!!!! I loved it!!!

I didn't know this until I
Kyle
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very gripping read - once I started, I couldn't put the book down. I had finished over the course of about a day (non-consecutive reading, of course) - which should give you some idea of the length of this work. As other reviewers have noted, this is a compilation of several short stories. The universe the author has crafted is sci-fi, taking place in the far future. It does a good job of envisioning what kind of technological advances would both be needed to enable that kind of ...more
Ally
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is so good! So well written! The horror is visceral and incredibly effective. I enjoyed the world building, especially in the final story. Speaking of the final story, it was a tense and engrossing read, where I got very attached to the characters. I'm glad for (view spoiler) but the ending felt abrupt.

Other complaints:
-the structure. the book is a series of loosely connected novellas, following different groups of characters. I wish it picked a few
Wesley
Joe
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although the plot is an amalgam of The Thing, Alien, and Invasion of the Body Snatchers, I thoroughly enjoyed this SF horror novel. In the far future when humanity has established outposts across the galaxy, they encounter an alien species that consumes and replaces humans, leading to the prospect of the extinction of the human race. There is something deeply horrifying when the people you trust most are revealed to be shape-shifting monsters bent on eating you and inhabiting your skin.
A.R.
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the Darcy Coates book I like the least, but that doesn't mean I didn't love it. This sci-horror gem puts your tit in the ringer in space, against an evil unfathomable, relentless in its mass-murdering capacity. I felt for a while that it was just the creatures beating and killing many protagonists over in over, with the multiple POVs, but the military team near the end changed all that. This is a novel worth reading, though a departure from her usual fare.
Baileigh Higgins
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

I really liked this book. The aliens, action, planets, and spacecraft all blended seamlessly. I wished for a bit more world building, and for a more solid connection with some of the characters, but I've a feeling this series will get better with each book and that this one was mostly a lead in, so I will be reading more.
K.C. Dreisbach
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed it. Sci-fi isn't normally my cup of tea, but I was desperate to find something else to read by this author, so I gave it a shot. I'm so glad that I did. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I felt the ending was a little bit of a let down. I wanted more of a resolution, but in the end, I still felt quite satisfied!
Jeannie L. Byram
Futuristic, spine-chilling, space slugs taking over mankind.

Darcy Coates knows how to write books that you just can't put down, so don't start reading this if you have to get up early in the morning! Great characters and storyline, with unknown lifeforms inhabiting humans and taking over planets. If you enjoy scary fiction, this book should be for you.
Lonnie
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wild, Alien ride!

I agree that the book is a mix between the Thing and Aliens, but the book is so entertaining that it doesn't matter. Full of action, intrigue, and even a small mention involving love makes this a fun, quick creature read. Would definitely recommend.
Brandy Walker
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty dang good

The story wasn't super scary -which is nice- but it still gave me the creeps! The characters were good although we didn't get introduced to them until well over 50% of the book. But that's ok & there are some reasons but I won't spoil it!
John
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this book down. It is full of action that never let's up from beginning to the end. It is the perfect mix of horror and sci-fi and if films such as aliens or the thing interest you, then I highly recommend you read this book. You will not be disappointed!
Viktor toth
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reminded Me of Silo Series

Brought back the same feel as the Silo Series. Individual stories all tied together within a larger context. Very enjoyable.
Saadiyya
Wow...action packed science fiction/horror.
Alexis
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. I think this would be fantastic to read in series format. The book felt a bit disjointed. But I loved most of the characters, lots of strong women, some of them hilarious.
Cynthia
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and fairly original concept in story and plot. I quite enjoyed it.
Tammy
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the beginning of this story. Very good but 150 pages to long and the ending was a let down .
Devin Sullivan
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing! All from women’s perspectives, with amazingly strong female characters. I can’t get over how well written this is!
Erin
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Didn't really connect until Maren. Mitzi was great too.
Cathy Gudger
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book

What a great book! It’s exciting and fast paced! Hang onto you seat. You’re in for an exciting ride!
Highly recommend!
Duncan Ralston
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Coates book, definitely won't be my last. Gripping from beginning to end.

• Sinkhole
  • Salvation Day
  • The House of Long Shadows (House of Souls #1)
  • Clowns Vs. Spiders
  • Mosquito Man (World's Scariest Legends)
  • The Haunting of Beacon Hill (The Beckoning Dead, 1)
  • Callie (The Bayou Hauntings #1)
  • The Sleep Experiment (World's Scariest Legends #2)
  • Malefic (House of Souls #2)
  • Escape!
  • Infestation
  • Bedbugs
  • Intercepts
  • The Siberian Incident
Darcy is the USA Today Bestselling author of Hunted, The Haunting of Ashburn House, Craven Manor, and more than a dozen horror and suspense titles.

She lives on the Central Coast of Australia with her family, cats, and a garden full of herbs and vegetables.

Darcy loves forests, especially old-growth forests where the trees dwarf anyone who steps between them. Wherever she lives, she tries to have a

Cymic Parasite Breach (5 books)
  • Station 331 (Cymic Parasite Breach #1)
  • Station 332 (Cymic Parasite Breach #2)
  • Station 333 (Cymic Parasite Breach #3)
  • Station 334 (Cymic Parasite Breach #4)
  • Station 335 (Cymic Parasite Breach #5)