Jump to ratings and reviews

Never Say Goodbye

They say time heals all wounds. But he was finding it a poor painkiller.

Tyler Collens has seen grief and loss in his years of experience as a paramedic—but he never expected it to touch his life in such a personal way. The death of his wife eighteen months ago shook his steady world and changed him in more ways than he can count. Time and routine have steadied his feet, and he looks toward the future as he raises his infant daughter—but the past has a tighter grip on him than he knows.

Alyvia Emmerson has never been certain of who she is or where she belongs. Her dad’s abandonment as a teen broke a fragile piece of her heart, but ten years later, she has moved on. Living on her own, she at last has a project to devote herself to: revitalizing a shabby bookstore. But she didn’t count on her dream job revealing the shattered pieces of herself she thought mended long ago.

In this sophomore novel featuring beloved characters from Live Without You, Sarah Grace Grzy explores themes of grief, hope, and second chances in a story that touches both the heart and spirit.

264 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Sarah Grace Grzy

3 books161 followers
Sarah Grace Grzy is a voracious reader, and if it weren’t for this crazy thing called 'Life,' she’d be tempted to spend all her days in front of a wood stove, book in one hand, coffee mug in the other.

A lover of learning, she finds enjoyment in many things and has more hobbies than she knows what to do with. Sarah Grace is a freelance web and graphic designer, and when not working, spending time with her ever-growing family, or reading, she can be found painting, playing the piano, or fangirling with her sisters and friends. She inhabits the State of Great Lakes, and wouldn’t want to live anywhere else—unless it meant she could have a baby penguin, in which case, she’d gladly move to the South Pole.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (<1%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 74 reviews
Profile Image for Hannah.
2,402 reviews1,323 followers
February 29, 2020
Going ahead and hanging five stars on this one because I’m quite sure the finalized draft won’t get worse than the beta copy I read and loved! (I read 70% of the book in one sitting despite having a headache from staring at the computer screen.) Things I intend to come back and say more about after publication:
-Tyler and Alyvia are really sympathetic leads
-There’s a bookshop
-Lots of adorable kid scenes
-A little bit of Piper and Ezra from the first book

Just make sure you’re ready to buy your copy the minute it releases!
Profile Image for Elizabeth Dragina.
580 reviews14 followers
May 28, 2020
3.5 stars ~

I'm a little late to the review party . . . . *sheepish grimace*

It took me awhile to get invested in the story. 😞 I was hoping for *my* Tyler to return .... but he wasn't the same. Grief changed him. Severely. You see, I have a really hard time enjoying a romance book where one of the MC's was married before.

Sarah Grace Grzy did an amazing job delivering the absolute devastation that comes with such loss. But I was hoping for a cheerful, whimsical romance with Tyler.

I'm also not much of a baby person, so Murrae was just .... I don't know. Kinda annoying? (*hides in a corner*) Sometimes it was cute and I appreciated the way Sarah Grzy flushed out a the different dynamics in all the relationships, but most of the time I was bored out of my mind.

Alyvia was great. I loved her bookstore and her bright personality. I loved the theme of hope and forgiveness. I'm just sad I didn't connect with the main characters. They felt very .... Idk. Off? Different? Unrelatable? *slams head on desk*

I (being the ever critical reader) was jarred out of the story multiple times by some of the sentence structures and overused words. 😥 I wish I could just enjoy the book and look over that stuff, but it pulled me out of the adventure too often.

Near the end it got better. I was more invested in the characters and the plot. Piper and Ezra kept me going. 😍

IN my opinion the story didn't deliver as much as I was expecting it to. 😣😕 I really, REALLY wanted to love this .... 😩 The romance just felt more like a friendship....not lOvE.

*scrambles away and hides in the corner from all Sarah Grace Grzy fans*

This review is kinda a mess compared to most of my other ones, but I'm still confused about how I feel in relation to this book. 😞

**FTC DISCLOSURE** I was given a complimentary copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. This review is my opinion, so if something offended you, PLEASE don't take it personally. Thanks!! :)
Profile Image for Kacie.
242 reviews1 follower
July 1, 2022
Never Say Goodbye was sweet and heartbreaking at the same time. I loved it so much. The relationship between Tyler and his little girl was so perfect, my heart melted.
Profile Image for Abby.
522 reviews106 followers
May 13, 2020
And it felt really good. Him. Her. Laughing. Together. It scared her how natural it felt to be herself around him. It was comfortable, easy-going. And terrifying.

I didn't know how Sarah Grace was going to get better than Live Without You, but she did it.

This was so wonderful. I'm always a fan of a good friends-to-lovers trope, and it's in full swing here. Sarah Grace's books are ones that you pick up and can't put down because you never know what's going to happen. There's a lot to love about this story, but I think the thing that I adored most was the characters.

Tyler and Alyvia were such wonderful protagonists, full of hopes and dreams and hurts that felt real and raw. I loved both of them from Live Without You, so seeing them step into their own story was wonderful. Tyler and baby Murrae was the CUTEST relationship ever, oh my goooosh. Also the line about "being a single dad looks a lot easier on Hallmark" cracked me up. Alyvia was so relatable. She's a full-fledged optimist who just wants to open her own bookstore and live above it. Like, what a dream, right?

And the two of them together were just the cutest oh my word. Like I said, I love a good friends-to-lovers story, and the way their love story progresses is so perfect. And they just go together so well, and I'm emotional.

The faith content was utterly perfect, woven in in such a beautiful way, with such a true message about letting go and letting God. And as I expected, I teared up a little at the end. The way everything came together was so beautiful, and I was just so proud of the journey that the characters went on. I already can't wait to re-read it.

Five shining stars from me!

**I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author. A positive review was not required. All opinions are my own.**
Profile Image for Mikayla.
884 reviews
January 1, 2022
So, Grzy's writing style has improved since Live Without You. This book is beautifully written, with characters that feel real.
I loved the storyline to this book. Murree was such a sweetheart, the bookshop was cool, seeing Ezra and Piper was fantastic, and the message was really good.

My only complaint (and why this book is four, not five stars) is the number of words like d*rn, h*ck and such. I realize most people don't consider that cussing, but they really bugged me.

Original review>> Wow. O.o This might be even better than Live Without You. Review to come when I read the finished book.

2021>> I did not enjoy it more than the first this time through, but still a good story. But every single character has the same sense of humor and all of them tease each other the same, which really doesn't happen in real life.
Profile Image for Andrea Cox.
Author 2 books1,631 followers
May 16, 2020
Y’all, let me catch my breath!

Sniffle, sniffle, dry my eyes.

All right.

Ahem. This review may be a hot mess. Why? you wonder. I’ll tell you.

This book wrecked me.

Oh, it’s in a great way, believe me, but I’m still wrecked! You see, this book sort of sneaked up on me. It was gallivanting along in a lighthearted, contemporary romance kind of way… and then BOOM! All these emotional things started happening, and they all made sense in the plot and everything, but they blindsided me. Completely blindsided me.

They shouldn’t have. I should have seen them coming. I’m a writer too, for goodness’ sake! But I did not see a certain couple of plot twists coming at all, and they waylaid me. Hard!

Even as it was happening and tears were gushing out of my eyeballs, I was happy about it. Truly, I was. Even as I was fretting for the beloved characters who’d crept into my heart when I wasn’t looking, I was grateful that a talented author had dug in deep and delivered the tough but very good stuff.

This… this, y’all, is what I aspire to as a writer myself: To dig the trenches of emotion and pain and live in them long enough to crank out a story (or fifty) that will rip my readers’ hearts clean out of their chests… and then shove ’em back in again by the end of the book.

Maybe those hearts won’t look the same. Maybe they’ll have bruises and scars. But perhaps they’ll also have some patches of healing and a fresh stitch of hope.

That’s what this book by Sarah Grace Grzy did for me. It’s what I hope it will do for you too.

I’m already eager for whatever is up next for this author. Might I suggest featuring a certain doctor-brother of Alyvia’s? He may have only had one or two scenes in this book, but those moments were enough to intrigue me into wanting to know much, much more.

More notes on this book, because there were other things I wanted to mention… The balance between the two leads’ jobs (which were featured beautifully), personal issues and lives, and the romance between the leads was spot-on gorgeous. The only thing that felt shoved to the side at times was whether or not Alyvia could crack through an elderly patron’s tough exterior. That thread got lost, unfortunately, or maybe it's yet to be finished as the next chapter of Alyvia's life unfolds beyond the story. However, the bookstore for Alyvia and paramedic/medical angle for Tyler were amazingly written. I especially enjoyed how the medical terms slipped so easily into Tyler’s POV vocabulary. This is such a powerful touch for creating deep POV, and Sarah Grace delivered perfectly on this aspect.

The bond between Tyler and his daughter, Murrae, was especially adorable. This really sold me on this story from the jump, and it didn’t let up at all through to the finale.

Bookshop stories are some of my favorites, and this one was cozy and sweet and delightful. I wish Happy Haven was real, because I would so want to work there. Honestly, it very much felt like the author climbed into my head to imagine the place. Only, the above-stairs apartment would need to be three times as big, at least.

There may be other things I wanted to mention, but I’ve run out of notes. This book didn’t leave much time for jotting things down, as it was a quick read that kept me riveted. So maybe I’ll have more insights on a second, third, or fifteenth reading.

In the meantime, why not purchase your own copy so you can discover this little gem for yourself?

FTC Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book from JustRead Tours and Victoria Lynn Designs. I also pre-ordered a copy of the paperback. All opinions in this review are my own.
Profile Image for Brooklyne E..
61 reviews14 followers
May 12, 2020
4.5 Stars!

To say I enjoyed Never Say Goodbye would be a understatement. The characters, the setting, and the message throughout this book was amazing! I was privileged for the opportunity to beta read Never Say Goodbye, and I look forward to future books by Sarah Grace Grzy.

I really liked the relationship that Ty had with his little daughter, though he was very overprotective at times and that sometimes clouded his judgment. Alyvia was such a neat character! I loved that she loved books as much as I do. Their love story was portrayed nicely and was very clean.

I also really liked how the characters from Live Without You were side characters in this book, and it was nice to learn more about their story along the sidelines of Never Say Goodbye. I would definitely recommend this book to those who like stories with themes of love, forgiveness, and triumph over what life can throw in our direction.
Profile Image for Holly Knight.
21 reviews5 followers
April 22, 2020
Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher for promotional purposes. The thoughts and opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.

Sarah Grace Grzy has yet again spun a powerful story of hope and second chances.

Never Say Goodbye is a YA contemporary novel about a widowed father (Tyler) and sweet bookshop owner (Alyvia.) Both go on a journey to discovering freedom from fear and bitterness. Sarah does a wonderful job crafting characters with relatable emotions and portraying descriptions in a delightfully realistic way. The struggles Tyler and Alyvia go through touched my heart and got me thinking about various aspects of my own struggles in life. The plot at times felt a bit like a Hallmark movie in that it was predictable and lacked page-turning chapters, with the exception of a few choice scenes that tackled the raw emotion of grief and fear in challenging circumstances.

I recommend this book for those who are looking for hope in the midst of grief and peace in the midst of fear. You will be encouraged and not disappointed with this book!

All in all, I rate Never Say Goodbye at 4 stars.
Profile Image for H. S. Kylian.
128 reviews
May 3, 2020
Oh, this was so sweet! I absolutely love romance novels where the romance just comes on so gradually and subtly that you don't even notice that it happened until the end.

And oh my word, LITTLE. KID. CHARACTERS. Murrae and Topher were SO adorable!!!

I'm also pretty sure I felt my eyes start to burn at one or two parts??? Such as one or two parts between Alyvia and her dad...

And I love Tyler and Ezra's friendship - they are so funny.

Also, that line about WA being wet and rainy much of the year - so so accurate.

There was one slight geographical error though: in the second to last chapter, there's a line about the sun setting behind the Cascades.

Well...Arlington is on the western side of the Cascades, meaning that the sun would be setting behind the Puget Sound/Olympic Peninsula area.

I also caught one typo and one inconsistency - in the scene where Alyvia's dad is introduced, his eyes are described as green, but then in another chapter, they're described as light brown.

BUT ALL IN ALL...this is a good book. I must read it again once I've recovered. xD

Profile Image for Mikaela.
47 reviews1 follower
May 1, 2020
Oh friends, this is a good one. This is not the typical genre that I read since I usually prefer suspense, mystery, and thrillers. But, sometimes I need a lighthearted book that I can escape in, especially a heavier read. This one came at the perfect moment!

Never Say Goodbye follows Tyler Collens and Alyvia Emmerson on their journeys toward forgiving, letting go, and moving forward. Their story is so sweet and continually points readers to Jesus. I love that the author is able to so beautifully convey a message of hope and love while keeping it clean and wholesome. Sarah Grace Grzy is a blooming author and I can't wait to see what else she creates!

* I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author/publisher for promotional purposes. I was not required to write a positive review. These are my honest thoughts and opinions.
Profile Image for S.G. Willoughby.
Author 10 books99 followers
May 16, 2020
I told myself I wasn't going to read any books during the month of may. See, I'm doing this crazy Bible reading challenge, and I just wouldn't have time. But I got ahead and after a good cry and a long week, my heart was ready for something soothing.

Never Say Goodbye was exactly what I needed. Shockingly, I didn't cry through it, despite how emotional it is. But I also laughed and fangirled and escaped from reality.

LOVED:
-The friendships <3
-Piper and Ezra being part of the story (and their munchkins!)
-Little Rae. Seriously, that daddy-daughter is ADORABLE and she brings a lightness to the hard topics addressed
-Bookshop. Just, yes.
-Bantering
-The other father-daughter relationship in this book and the struggles of relationship healing
-Pink diaper bags

OTHER THOUGHTS:
If I hadn't read Live Without You, I'd have nothing to nitpick. But I think Live Without You was . . . better written. In small ways, I wonder if Live Without You was simply given . . . more time? Not that I have any clue! But I can't really complain, because it was small ways, and NSG was still a wonderful book that touched my heart on a deep level.
Profile Image for Libby May.
Author 3 books85 followers
May 3, 2020
Where do I even begin? I had the honor of beta reading this book in it's earlier stages before it was completed. It was so beautifully done. When I had read Live Without You, I got to know Ezra's best friend Tyler just a tiny bit, but that was enough to hook me. At that time, this novel was just a seed in Sarah Grace's mind, and under a lot of covers (in fact when I asked her if Tyler was going to get a story, she told me possibly, but not to tell anybody *slaps hands over my mouth*) I was so excited.

Now for each of the characters, I grew to love them so much. Alyvia felt like she was my own good friend. Her personality and character and the way that she carried herself just made me appreciate her. Her bookstore and her dad and I CANNOT WAIT TO HAVE THIS LITTLE BOOK IN MY HANDS!

I keep saying little book, but I don't mean little. Never Say Goodbye is a full-length novel. When I say little I mean cuddle-up-and-hug-the-thing sort of little. It's just so perfectly written in a way that seems to make everything okay.

Tyler and Murrae's relationship was so precious. Tyler's love for his baby daughter was not only adorable but it makes a character so much more lovable when they love a baby. Can you imagine a big paramedic man cuddling his little daughter to sleep? *tries not to melt into a puddle*
And then Tyler and Alyvia's relationship was SO WELL PACED. I find that a lot of authors struggle with properly pacing a relationship. It's like stall-stall-stall until the rest of the plot is ready and then I LOVED YOU ALL ALONG ONLY NOW I'M ALLOWED TO TELL YOU. Yaaaawn. Never Say Goodbye did not have any of that! I LOVED the pacing. And Alyvia's relationship with Murrae was so cute from the beginning.

The plot was well done as well. I don't even know what to say because nothing I can say in my review will do it justice. You just have to READ it. It's clean and wholesome and heartwarming and that's all that you need to know. Why haven't you read it yet!?
Profile Image for Rebekah Morris.
Author 94 books217 followers
April 23, 2020
After really liking the first book by this author, I was excited to read this one.
Tyler was sweet and fun at the same time. I enjoyed watching him with his little daughter even though he was a little over-protective at times. (The term “helicopter parent” felt a little overused and jerked me out of the story the first time it was mentioned.)
Alyvia had struggles, but they were real. Her bookstore sounded fun, and I would have enjoyed visiting. I liked watching her grow in her relationship with her dad. The message about forgiveness was good.
It was fun to get to see Ezra and Piper again and watch them with their own children.

While there was a lot of good truths in this story, and some fun relationships, I didn’t appreciate the fact that the author used “d*rn” (which means the same thing as “d*m”) and a euphemism for God. There was some other slang in here too that I could have done without. These words really took away from my enjoyment of the story.

And I never did figure out how the title fits into the story.
Profile Image for Eliza Noel.
Author 2 books71 followers
November 13, 2020
OH. MY. GOODNESS.

I loved this book, oh so very much! Tyler and Alyvia are adorable. All the small children are adorable. Love the cozy bookstore vibes. Love the father-daughter stories going on. Love the slightly complicated, but sweet and innocent romance. Literally just the cutest. This is definitely on my list of favorites now and I'll for sure be recommending it!
Profile Image for Melanie.
1,901 reviews550 followers
May 29, 2020
Never Say Goodbye was a wonderful story. I felt for the characters and could feel their emotions. I liked the story of forgiveness and, oh, was it a good one!

The story had ups and downs and left you guessing as to what was going to happen next....there was one particular moment that REALLY had me on the edge and nervous for the characters.

All in all, Never Say Goodbye was lovely and I recommend it!

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention/review it on my blog. I was not required to give a positive review, only my honest opinion - which I've done. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own and I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.*
Profile Image for Tara Savanna.
145 reviews14 followers
April 19, 2020
In the middle of life's storms, it can be easy to forget that God is right there with us. This book brings home the reminder that God is both willing and able to carry us through those storms, if we let Him...

Grzy has done it again in creating characters whose stories make me smile, break my heart, and leave me wanting more. She has taken such care in making her stories, and the characters in them, real and I love how she begins almost immediately with heart dropping action!

Having read the previous book, Live Without You, this story felt as though I were visiting with old friends. I loved getting to see how Ezra and Piper's lives had grown as well as getting to know Tyler better and I adored little Murrae!

I appreciate the author's attention to detail in the research she did and that she didn't overwhelm with technical jargon in the process. Also, the spiritual message was spot on and strong, but not what I would call in-your-face. It flowed realistically and well and provided a strong foundation.

Writing is hard. Self-publishing is hard. But writing a good, clean, and wholesome story that can meet someone where they may be at in their own struggles and showing them the direction to freedom? Priceless.

*I received a complementary copy from the author in hopes of any honest review. I was not obligated to leave a positive review. Thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.
Profile Image for Grace Morris.
Author 6 books1,513 followers
4.5 Stars! =D

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author\publisher for promotional purposes. I was not required to write an positive review. These are my honest thoughts and opinions.

*All the heart eyes* Tyler got his own story!!! We got exactly what we wanted people! Tyler's own story!!! Gah, I'm just so happy right now!

First of all, can we take a moment to appreciate the cover? IT IS SO GORGEOUS!!! I love all the covers in this series! They are all just so pretty!!!

This book really had a good message about forgiveness and letting go. The story went on to show how painful and hard doing those things can be.

The Characters:

Tyler. He is just so awesome! He has been through so much, but he is the best single dad ever! He loves his daughter so much. Tyler is one of those guys who is funny and kind and caring, and I love him so much!

Alyvia. She's great! She has a passion for books so much that she bought her own bookstore! To run, that is. ;) I think she had the dream job that most of us bookworms have thought about. I love her relationship with her brothers and wish that they were in the story a little more. Sibling love is the best love. And reading it in books is so great. =D

Really love that we got to have some scenes with Ezra and Piper from the first book and getting to see their new little family. Also all the scenes with the kids was just great.

What I Didn't Like:

I know that Tyler has been through a lot. But I feel like that some of his carefree, humorous spirit was watered down a little in the story, which was a small disappointment.

There were times that the book was making a really good point, but I thought that some of those scenes were rushed just a little. I get that this is a short book, but I wish that it would have took in some more time with the delicate issues.

Also I wanted more scenes of Tyler and Alyvia together.

Content in Book:

1. Death. (Someone dying from cancer).

2. Traumatic scenes. (A young child nearly dying from pneumonia. Child abuse. Two different fire scenes and smoke inhalation. Depression. A minor car accident. A mention of a car accident that happened in the first book. Etc.)

Who I Would Recommend This Book Too:

Those who want to read about Tyler. Those who love contemporary romance. Those who like young children in stories.
Profile Image for Olivia Giordano.
39 reviews4 followers
April 30, 2020
**I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author/publisher for promotional purposes. I was not required to write an positive review. These are my honest thoughts and opinions.**

Oh my WORD what a cute story. I'm not a huge contemporary romance reader, but this was so beautifully done. Sarah pulled me in right away. I'm a ball of emotions and sadness and happiness all at once. I loved how well Tyler's grief was dealt with. And he's such a cute dad. And of course I loved Alyvia. There was just so much cuteness and it was so interesting how they both worked through their issues throughout the course of this story. Ahhhh it was such a sweet, feel good book, and I loved all the elements of God in it. It wasn't over the top or preachy, but it was definitely enough to show that God was a very real part of this.

Go read it y'all. Ahhh I love it so much.
Profile Image for Kaitlyn S..
244 reviews21 followers
April 16, 2020
I waited so long to get my hands on this book . . . and finally, I was able to read a review an ARC. And my, oh my, was it ever good! Guys, when this book comes out May 2, I highly, highly recommend that you find a copy and read it.

I loved the glimpse of Ms. Cecile -- who was by far my favourite character in 'Live Without You' -- and getting to catch up with Piper and Ezra again. And getting to know Ezra's partner, Tyler, was fun.

Alyvia is a young lady who is struggling after her father deserted her, and Tyler is struggling to come to grips with the death of his wife years before. They meet in a most unconventional way, and it's definitely friendship at first sight, but nothing more, for several chapters. Which was refreshing, since guy/girl friendships without romantic inclinations are rare in fiction.

And then there's the sweet little Murrae, who captured my heart completely. She's such an adorable child!

Tyler and Alyvia form a friendship centered around Murrae and the bookstore, and they have an honesty with each other that we honestly need more of today. That they can call each other out and give advice, get frustrated with each other, apologize, and still be friends, and still have feelings for each other was sweet to see. I'll be honest: the whole relationship was sweet to watch unfold. And Tyler's one liners . . . I'm gonna have to remember some of those! "Raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip are why I have trust issues." Yeah, me too.

Tyler's devotion to his "Little Rae of Sunshine" was heart wrenching in the best of ways. Watching him navigate parenting by himself, and trying to not hover over her and panic over her bumps and scrapes endeared him even more to my heart. And him knowing when to seek help . . . I've been in that situation with a little one before, and it's definitely hard.

Alyvia's bookstore is one that I wish I could go visit in real life, it sounds that amazing. And what better heroine that one that curls up with a good book and appreciates classics? Watching her spruce the place up, and laughing over her and Tyler's antics whilst doing repairs did my heart good. And Alyvia's brothers are just plain fun. As a girl that has longed for older brothers, but is the oldest herself, I have always wanted that sort of relationship . . . and reading it in books is the next best option, right? They are easy going, they tease each other, they help each other, and the head rubbing -- as annoying as it could be -- is an affectionate act on their part :D

And then there's Alyvia's father, who is so very broken, and trying so hard. . . and watching Alyvia navigate that challenge made her my new second favourite -- 'cause Ms. Cecile will never leave first favourite, ever.

The romance in this book was nice and light. Nothing at all untoward, nothing at all cringeworthy. Just a sweet, rambling journey of two people meeting, becoming close friends, and then becoming more than friends. There are no kisses, there are no romantic hugs, just friendly ones, and there are no innuendos. Both the main characters are Christians, and seek God's guidance throughout the story.

If you're looking for a sweet contemporary romance, this is the one for you!

I am very thankful to the author for a copy of this book to read and review!
Profile Image for Laura Guenot.
Author 2 books10 followers
April 22, 2020
This book was incredible!

Unlike a lot of contemporary Christian novels, Never Say Goodbye was full of rich dialogue, relatable characters, and innocent sweetness. Instead of focusing on their problems and painful pasts, the main characters ministered to one another, and to those around them.

Both Alyvia and Tyler had a different personality and were so unlike your average characters that I found myself believing they were actual people! Alyvia, you are fantastic! (I want to drop by and visit your bookstore!)

While so many contemporary Christian novels slip back and forth between edgy and preachy, Never Say Goodbye is a solid story full of redemption, sweet romance, and believable characters!

I hope that other Christian authors read this story and see that you can write an incredible book without the questionable content.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author\publisher for promotional purposes. I was not required to write a positive review. These are my honest thoughts and opinions.
Profile Image for Kaitlyn Krispense.
Author 1 book85 followers
May 19, 2020
(4.5 stars, rounded up to 5)

Gahhhh, ya'll! This book is the sweetest thing!

I read Live Without You about a year ago and while it was good, the side character, Tyler, was my favorite. So when I heard that the author's next book was going to be about him, I was so super excited! I had sliiiiightly high expectations for this baby, and it didn't disappoint!

So, confession: I read this book and, while I try to take notes while I'm reading review books, I...put down about three during this one. There's really not much to say about it, haha! The story flows great. Writing style is great. Plot is great. Emotions are great. Characters are great.

So after realizing that I got sucked into the story so much that I didn't even really take notes, I, um, did something I don't think I've ever done: I picked it back up and started rereading it within a week.

And that right there tells me why five stars instead of four. ;) I'm almost done with it again, and y'all, this book is so good. The themes of hope, of forgiveness, of letting go . . .

(also Tyler's a fellow control freak so I FEEL)

Alyvia and Tyler both have to learn how to let go of the past and step into the future, but in two very different ways: Alyvia has to let go of bitterness and fear. And Tyler has to let go of fear and lost loved ones.

The book didn't make me cry like everyone said it would, but it was still emotional. And it was still fantastic.

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author for promotional purposes. I was not required to write a positive review. These are my honest thoughts and opinions.
Profile Image for Ellen Senechal.
Author 1 book61 followers
March 6, 2021
Ever had a book so completely tear you up you're crying big, choking sobs on the inside? If so, I think you can relate to me when I say: THIS STORY HIT ME HARD. The writing style, amazing. Plot line, even better. Characters? Oh, spot-on. I can already tell "Never Say Goodbye" will be a reread for many years to come. :)
And all right, I'll go ahead and confess this is the first book I've read by Ms. Grzy. I read this one, then "Live Without You." Both are pretty spectacular, although it seems to me now that reading them in order would probably have been the better option. ;)
So yes, I enjoyed this book. Immensely. My only complaint would have to be that the author uses several expressions in her writing that I'm not personally comfortable with.
All in all, this beautiful novel is definitely worth a read, and I recommend it for anyone over the age of fifteen years.
Congrats again on your release, Ms. Grzy!! <3
Profile Image for Michaela Bush.
Author 17 books59 followers
April 20, 2020
FTC Disclosure: I received a review copy of this novel from the publisher. The views expressed in this review are my own.

Wow. Can I say that this book is amazing? Very heartfelt, a moving plot, and great themes revolving around family, healing, and growth. It reads well as a standalone or as a sequel to Live Without You by the same author. I absolutely loved getting to know the main characters -- and there are some seriously sweet father-daughter dynamics prevalent in this book, too. So wonderful! I'm in love with the writing, the plot, the messages within this book, and I'm a tad bit sad because I finished reading it so quickly! Definitely one that I'll gladly reread...and then reread again.
Profile Image for Ashlee.
271 reviews7 followers
May 4, 2020
Well first of all, what a cover. I'm sure I've mentioned it before but I do start judging a book by its cover and this one gets two thumbs up from me. From the colors to the font of the title. Just great.

Now getting into the heart of this book, I did feel like it grabbed my attention early on. I didn't feel like I had to struggle to read it or to make myself keep going. I'm not shy about giving up on books that don't grab me or keep me, so I think that was well done on Sarah Grace Grzy's part. Also, I really enjoyed the characters. They didn't feel faked or forced to me. I didn't actually read the first story, Live Without You, before reading Never Say Goodbye and I didn't feel lost at all. Obviously, I know what happens now for the characters from the first story, but that doesn't bother me. I still plan on reading it.

Overall I think this was an enjoyable read. It wasn't super long so it was a nice, quick read. I would definitely recommend it and, like I said, I am now planning on reading more by this author. I must say though, I need more epilogue! I feel like I just need more. The ending wasn't bad, don't get me wrong, I'm just greedy and wanted to see more into the future for Tyler and Alyvia. Maybe a 3rd book??

I received a complimentary copy of this book and am leaving a voluntary and honest review.
Profile Image for Rachael.
38 reviews4 followers
May 5, 2020
Sarah Grace continues to not disappoint! Never Say Goodbye takes place multiple years after Live Without You, but I never felt like I missed something, even though I could tell each character had gone through a journey. And can we just name Sarah Grace the queen of surprises now? Even when there is nothing drastic happening, I found myself still hanging onto every word waiting for the next surprise to come around the corner. I love how everything is actually realistic and could happen easily too. All of the medical terms and happenings seemed accurate too (though I am definitely not a doctor).
I can't wait for whatever Sarah Grace has up her sleeve next!
Profile Image for Brittany.
2,158 reviews139 followers
June 6, 2020
Never Say Goodbye was a very emotionally satisfying story. It had so many things to recommend it and some sweetly humorous moments sprinkled throughout this tender tale.

I liked both of these characters a lot. Tyler was a great dad who loved his little girl so much. He struggled with grief for his deceased wife and the life they had together for such a short time. Alyvia struggled with things from her past, as well, and there was some reconciliation and forgiveness that she had to work through with her father. I liked the way the relationship developed into a friendship for Tyler and Alyvia before it grew into more. If felt very natural.

This story comes a few years after the book Live Without You, however, it can definitely be read as a stand alone novel. It was fun to see Piper and Ezra in this book, as well, as side characters.

I received a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

You can read this review on my blog:
Displaying 1 - 30 of 74 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.