Start by marking “Police Officers on Patrol” as Want to Read:
Police Officers on Patrol

Police Officers on Patrol

A broken light might cause a crash! Who can help? Who is fast? Officer Mike, on traffic patrol!

Situation? Under control! ?When people need help, we rock and roll!?

With Kersten Hamilton?s high-energy rhyming text that begs to be read aloud, and R. W. Alley?s warm and silly illustrations, this picture book is a fun and reassuring way to tell kids about what police offi - cer
Published April 16th 2009 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Police Officers on Patrol, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Police Officers on Patrol

Fjóla
An illustrative book about police officers. Sweet, if not terribly original. In fact it reminded me strongly of Bug Patrol, a slightly more humorous take on the same theme. But this book is good for the young crowd.
Gretyl
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: unowned
Great for police related or community helper storytime. Use of rhyme, colored pencil drawings will resonate with young audiences.
Kari Doering
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Police officers on patrol is a book by Kersten Hamilton and pictures by R.W. Alley A broken light might cause a crash! Who can help? Who is fast? The cover of the book is very colorful with lots of design and it shows that all three of the officers on the run. The title of the book has a stamping effect with thick bold letters and dark color to make it stand out. This book also has jacket flaps where the story is summerized on the front and on the back it tells a little about both the author and ...more
Miss Sarah
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Police are getting ready for their day and heading out to help people. I really liked this book showed a variety of police activities but would have liked a few more explanations. Toddler and up and a great refrain for kids to repeat.
Christine
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
An instant hit with my police-obsessed 4-year old. I love the illustrations by R.W. Alley (of Paddington fame).
Karla Winick-Ford
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kids enjoyed this quick story at lunch today
Illustrations are ok

Repetitious

which is great

some rhymes too

pretty high quality book I'd recommend
Jessica
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-online
A story told in rhyme about the different types of police officers on patrol. Now if my child checked this out at the library, I would say that it does present an opportunity to teach them on the subject. A police officer could arrive in a car, on a horse or on foot, but I protest to the phrase "Rock and Roll" being used one too many times. Perhaps it is used to teach children the art of repetition, but I wouldn't have used it. Other than that, I have given this book a four star rating, because ...more
Arapahoe Libraries
Sometimes people need help, so it's a good thing there's so many kinds of police officers! Bright and positive, this rhyming story follows Sargeant Santole as he dispatches his officers around town. Broken traffic lights, lost children, and bank robberies are all tended to by the traffic, mounted, and crime patrols. "Situation? Under control. 'When people need help, we rock and roll!'"
Chris Eboch
Jun 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Kersten Hamilton is fabulous at writing very short, action-packed, fun-filled books for preschool children. This is another winner, especially for boys who will love getting a look at what police officers do. The officers (including a woman) are competent, energetic and friendly. The bright, fairly simple illustrations back up the story well.
Brooke
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing rhyming book that will teach kids about what police officers do. It features 3 different police officers who do traffic stops, help a lost boy find his mom, and stop two robbers from taking an ATM. It is also fairly short for a book of this type. Parents and children loved it when I had a Police Officer read it during Pre-K storytime!
Karen C
Jun 22, 2009 rated it liked it
This would probably be a good read aloud for young toddlers. The text is very simple and the drawings are bright. Various types of officers are shown, including mounted police. The refrain, "When people need help, we rock and roll!" is not my favorite thing ever, but overall, I think kids will respond well to the book.
Laudys
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: we-give-books
I'll admit it, I couldn't help singing out loud the words, it's that catchy.
Also, it says "we rock and roll", how more awesome can this book get?

A nice, dynamic read to teach young children the different kind of police officers that go on patrol and the situations they can help you with. Really cute.
Katie Fitzgerald
May 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 5/10/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Toddler Lap Time on 6/28/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Erin
Jun 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Even though I am generally not a fan of cops and find these kinds of books boring this is a cute one. The illustrations are adorable and the rhyming text makes all the difference. A cute story all around.
Katie
Read at Home Town Heroes Story Time - 7/11/15

Short and sweet book about 3 types of police officers. Repetition and rhymes.

I really enjoyed details in the illustrations. Would make great one on one book.
Molly
Apr 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This will be fabulous for anyone doing a unit on public servants. This is written in ryhme and the illustrations are fun. This is a great story about police officers and a few of the things they do. Ages 2+
Tina Bartholoma
Dec 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
"good review, community helpers, shows police using in three different situations using different transportation"
Anne Beier
good for toddler storytime.
Boni
May 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
I think this would be quite appealing to toddler boys, but her use of near rhyme was a problem for me. I'm not a fan of it.
Kimberly
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a fun, police-action-packed book showing different ways police officers help us. I loved the illustrations in this book and it is an enjoyable storybook to read with the kids.
Miekka
Aug 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: seths-books
Great for my son who wants to be a police officer when he grows up. Rhyming and repetitive. 3 years and up.
Allison
Apr 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
PERFECT. Pictures match the story perfectly, rhymes match up perfectly... fun fun fun!!!

Uniform!
Badge!
Radio!
Police officers,
getting ready to go!
Danie P.
Aug 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Good for toddler/preschool aged kids to teach about what police officers do within the community. Rhyming text and short sentences.
Polly
Apr 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Cute.
Beth
Lively book about police work with fun, rhyming text and enjoyable illustrations of a multiethnic team of police in their community.
Rachel
Jun 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Lots of fun with a great pattern to the words.
Marie
May 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Fun introduction to the roles of police officers, with a repeating phrase and lots of rhyme.
Stephanie
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Stephanie by: wegivebooks.org
Shelves: children-s
My youngest loves this one - had to read it more than once.
Kristen
May 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Nice for the community helper units in preschool and early elementary.
Tams
Jun 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Catchy rhymes, great for kids! Would be good for career day book.