Start by marking “Maxine Unleashes Doomsday” as Want to Read:
Maxine Unleashes Doomsday

Maxine Unleashes Doomsday

The United States has collapsed. Bandits stalk the highways, preying on the weak and unaware.

In order to transport goods between heavily fortified cities, companies hire convoy escorts. Maxine is the best of these new road warriors: tough, smart, and unbelievably fast. But she also has a secret: She’s the niece of New York’s most notorious outlaw, a man hunted by what’s
Published November 4th 2019 by Down & Out Books

To ask other readers questions about Maxine Unleashes Doomsday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maxine Unleashes Doomsday

Start your review of Maxine Unleashes Doomsday
Oliver Clarke
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review coming soon on Sci Fi and Scary
Lel Budge
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the tale of the history of Maxine’s life, taken from old records after the world has been practically destroyed in the Collapse. Global warming and rising sea levels have flooded large areas of the US. Food is scarce, towns are dead and people are scratching a living the best way they can. Various clans control areas and are constantly battling each other for control.

Maxine lives in a poor area, her mother is an addict. So Maxine looks after everything including her younger brother,
Benoit Lelièvre
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Hum... I can't exactly chastise this book for not being original. It's a weird and gleeful mix of many tropes that usually don't go together like the outlaw family, post-apocalyptic society, post-humanism, etc. I can't chastise it for not being fun either, because it's rip-roaring, non stop action from cover to cover.

What is it about this book that I just couldn't get enthusiastic about?

Maybe it's the outlaw family thing that I thought was a little edgeless. Maxine and her friends/family are
Tess Makovesky
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a refreshing change - a dystopian novel that manages to be quirky and even, dare I say it, fun! Maxine is a feisty yet practical heroine; when life deals her a bag of spanners she uses them to customise her latest armoured car or upgrade the prosthetic arm she wears after one too many accidents. It's nicely written and unlike some science-based books, the author really seemed to understand the tech he was describing. In particular, I loved the explanation for the surprisingly jaunty tone ...more
Murder in Common
For Maxine, taking on the world around her is a lesson in survival. It's a world that doesn't generally care if she lives or dies, but is only concerned with her ability to deliver on her commitments. Her Uncle Preacher helps from time to time, in the best way he can. But it's Maxine's determination to make it on her own in that moves this book forward.

The pace of this book is fast and consistent. Excellent character development, and structure. Highly recommended!

~June Lorraine
Jessica Smith
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Move over Tank Girl and Mad Max make way for the new outlaw queen Maxine! Awesome tale of the evolution of a dystopian outlaw! The end action scenes were some of my favorite I’ve read in a long time.
Hobart
1/2 (rounded up)
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader, where the The Irresponsible Readerauthor also participated in a Q&A with me.
---
“You know the trick to surviving? The one thing you got to do?”

“What’s that?” Maxine asked.

“You got to treat every day like an adventure. Like it’s fun, or a challenge, even when everything’s crappy. Especially when it’s crappy. Because otherwise, it’s all going to crush you.”

“I feel like I spent my whole life being crushed.”

“Well, that’s
Todd Morr
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maxine Unleashees Doomsday is a gritty sci-fi noir mashup that wears it's Mad Max/Road Warrior influences proudly. This action-packed post-apocalyptic crime story follows her from her misspent youth into her misspent adulthood while the world around her slowly crumbles. It's a hell of a ride. The book's only drawback might be it flaunts the Mad Max influence a little too blatantly (the lead character is named Max after all). If you love or even like the Road Warrior though, you'll dig Maxine.
Rob Enderle
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You really got to know Maxine very well as this book progressed. I typically like a less troubled hero but the book held me. The end felt a tad rushed but that was OK as I could figure out what was likely to happen by that time anyway and had the author drawn the ending out, I expect, the book would have felt too long. Enjoyed the read, nothing over the top and the outcomes all seemed both likely and probable. It would have been interesting to see a picture of Maxine at the end but I'd recommend ...more
SmallPressPicks
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed the on-the-road, Mad Max-like thrills of his novel. But my favorite aspect of the book was its exploration of the ways in which artificial intelligence begins to surpass human intelligence. This angle of the novel left me chilled, especially given the increasing use of AI in the real world.

For my full review of the book, see https://smallpresspicks.com/maxine-un....
robert simuna
Oct 17, 2019
Tobias
Nov 16, 2019
Nick Kolakowski
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Gail Kolakowski

• Cold Storage
  • Dear Laura
  • Blood Sugar
  • The Warehouse
  • Shamus Dust: Hard Winter. Cold War. Cool Murder.
  • Tidal Flats
  • The Tokyo Zodiac Murders (御手洗潔 #1)
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • Your House Will Pay
  • The Murders of Molly Southbourne (Molly Southbourne, #1)
  • An Equal Justice (David Adams, #1)
  • The Topeka School
  • The Cult Called Freedom House (Sophia Rey #1)
  • Doll Crimes
  • The Corruption of Alston House
  • The Twisted Ones
  • To Be Devoured
  • Three-Fifths
Nick Kolakowski's work has appeared in The Washington Post, McSweeney's, Washington City Paper, Playboy, LOST magazine, Trader Monthly, WebMD, and eWeek, among other venues. He lives in Brooklyn, NY.